• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dance Central: Spotlight

jond76

Banned
Showing it on GT now. Couple highlights:

-8 different routines for each song

-big one : previously purchased songs port over!

Hype, people, hyyyyype!!

Comes with 10 songs, rest are a la carte.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Comes with 10 songs? Did I miss something this morning? Is this an F2P model? I assumed it was a packaged disc.

I wanna damce with somebody
I wanna feel the heat with somebody
Yeah, I wanna damce with somebody
With somebody who loves me

espher

The biggest factor to me was the legacy DLC support and what it could potentially mean for a Rock Band sequel.

Sydle

Not ashamed to admit this is right up there with Sunset Overdrive as one of my most wanted games this year.

How do they let you port over previously purchased songs? I sold off Dance Central 1, 2, and 3, so I don't have those codes any more. Hopefully it just uses my account purchase history some how.

I'm fine with the F2P model so long as we get new stuff regularly. Would be cool if my Xbox Music subscription got me a couple of free songs every month.

since Xbox Live accounts carry over, I imagine they know what you've purchased already, and can adjust accordingly. Sorta like how Halo Spartan Assault was discounted if you owned it on a different system.

Not sure about the disc-only tracks though.

jond76

Banned
That makes sense for DLC, but what about the disc songs, which would have never been up for download in the first place?

They are in the marketplace as packs due to the fact that they can be exported into the most current game. DC 3 being the exception.

Showing it on GT now. Couple highlights:

-8 different routines for each song

-big one : previously purchased songs port over!

Hype, people, hyyyyype!!

Comes with 10 songs, rest are a la carte.

I hope owning the previous games also carry over, cool about DLC from last gen.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
I think can I answer some questions, ya'll, because I'm taking a break from E3 to get on NeoGAF in my hotel room... :D

ONLY 10 SONGS!?

Yup, the "core" game comes with 10 songs -- all new tracks to the Dance Central series. We'll have more than 50 songs available for download at launch beyond that, many new to the series, some legacy DLC songs. Why do this? We love the idea of players being able to customize their soundtracks and their dance experience. You do your best to put together awesome on-disc soundtracks that will appeal to a broad audience, but you hear a lot of "This soundtrack sucks, there's not enough of this or that and I hate these songs." I get it. That doesn't have to be the case. Buy only what you want, when you want it.

PRICE!?

The game isn't F2P. That said, we're not talking about a price at the moment, but do some math and figure out what you'd pay for a game with 10 song (compared to the $50 for the full retail disc soundtracks), and you'd be close. More on that before launch.

DOES MY DLC CARRY OVER?

As we release songs on the Music Store, if you've purchased that song as DLC for a previous Dance Central game, you'll be able to download that to your Xbox One for free WHEN THEY BECOME AVAILABLE. That is to say, not all of that DLC tracks will be available on Day One (we have to re-author them for the new Xbox One engine and that will take some time), but we'll work to make that stuff available.

Regarding the disc songs that you might have been able to transfer from game to game, unfortunately those won't be available for free. Without going into a lot of detail, the licensing for disc-based songs is different than the downloadable tracks, which is why our games had that small re-licensing fee you'd have to pay from game to game. We don't plan on supporting those tracks at launch.

WHAT IS THIS ABOUT 8 ROUTINES?

Yes, every song now has eight routines -- four difficulties, two fitness routines (dedicated to strength and cardio), and then two "Choreographer's Choice" routines. That's a lot of dancing per song. And those DLC tracks you'll get for free if you already own them? They'll also have 8 routines a piece.

WHAT'S THE DLC PLAN?

Lots of music. And fast. We've improved the production pipeline which means we can look at what's hot on the charts, try to obtain the licensing rights, and then move it through to players waaaay faster than before. Less waiting, more music people want. Bottom line: we plan on releasing a lot of music/routines. Get psyched.

I think that answers everything. I'll pop into the thread to answer other questions if you have them.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Shame they're sticking to one platform. I'm a huge fan of Dance Central, but I'm not buying an Xbox One for it.

jond76

Banned
I think can I answer some questions, ya'll, because I'm taking a break from E3 to get on NeoGAF in my hotel room... :D

ONLY 10 SONGS!?

Yup, the "core" game comes with 10 songs -- all new tracks to the Dance Central series. We'll have more than 50 songs available for download at launch beyond that, many new to the series, some legacy DLC songs. Why do this? We love the idea of players being able to customize their soundtracks and their dance experience. You do your best to put together awesome on-disc soundtracks that will appeal to a broad audience, but you hear a lot of "This soundtrack sucks, there's not enough of this or that and I hate these songs." I get it. That doesn't have to be the case. Buy only what you want, when you want it.

PRICE!?

The game isn't F2P. That said, we're not talking about a price at the moment, but do some math and figure out what you'd pay for a game with 10 song (compared to the $50 for the full retail disc soundtracks), and you'd be close. More on that before launch.

DOES MY DLC CARRY OVER?

As we release songs on the Music Store, if you've purchased that song as DLC for a previous Dance Central game, you'll be able to download that to your Xbox One for free WHEN THEY BECOME AVAILABLE. That is to say, not all of that DLC tracks will be available on Day One (we have to re-author them for the new Xbox One engine and that will take some time), but we'll work to make that stuff available.

Regarding the disc songs that you might have been able to transfer from game to game, unfortunately those won't be available for free. Without going into a lot of detail, the licensing for disc-based songs is different than the downloadable tracks, which is why our games had that small re-licensing fee you'd have to pay from game to game. We don't plan on supporting those tracks at launch.

WHAT IS THIS ABOUT 8 ROUTINES?

Yes, every song now has eight routines -- four difficulties, two fitness routines (dedicated to strength and cardio), and then two "Choreographer's Choice" routines. That's a lot of dancing per song. And those DLC tracks you'll get for free if you already own them? They'll also have 8 routines a piece.

WHAT'S THE DLC PLAN?

Lots of music. And fast. We've improved the production pipeline which means we can look at what's hot on the charts, try to obtain the licensing rights, and then move it through to players waaaay faster than before. Less waiting, more music people want. Bottom line: we plan on releasing a lot of music/routines. Get psyched.

I think that answers everything. I'll pop into the thread to answer other questions if you have them.

Thanks for popping in! Great info!

SFenton

I super hope the imports will be available soon after/at launch and for a good price. I'll gladly go export DC2 (and hopefully DC3!) if it's true.

Thanks for the info Nicholas!

Sad to hear about the no disk songs, glad to hear about 8 routines per song.

Hope you guys bring it to PAX this year.

I'm glad to see at least some cross-gen DLC support. Not really for Dance Central as much for Rock Band's inevitable return.

EBE

all my tracks carry over? all three games?! damn.
picking this one up for sure. love me some dance central.

dreamfall

GOTTA KEEP DAMCIN'

I was enjoying the GT quick look. If I do buy an XBO, it'll be Kinectless. But I did really love Dance Central on the original peripheral.

Top Bottom