• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La-Mulana Portable: Japanese Retro Action on PS Vita

Loudninja

Hi everyone! I’d like to present to you LA-MULANA PORTABLE (Working Title)!
Japanese retro action game masterpiece, “LA-MULANA,” will be released on PlayStation Vita with new features! This game has it all, with well drawn pixel art, interesting puzzles to solve, and hard action. We really want all LA-MULANA fans and retro game fans to enjoy it!

”
Search for the Treasure of Life, solve the Mystery of Humanity’s Origins.
LA-MULANA is an “Archeological Ruins Exploration Action Game” where you investigate the colossal Ruins of “LA-MULANA,” said to be the beginning of all civilization, in search of the “Treasure of Life.
Doctor Lemeza is an Archeologist who comes to this Land with only his whip and a research PC. Helped by e-mails from the tech-savvy elder of the tribe that protects the Ruins of La-Mulana, Lemeza must avoid traps, solve puzzles, and reach the very end of the Ruins.
A masterpiece coming to PlayStation Vita
So just how does the PlayStation Vita version differ from the PC game version, which became a subject of discussion all around the world?
Without a doubt, it’s the tuned experience for mobile play! LA-MULANA Portable (Working Title) is a PlayStation Vita game, so you can play anytime and anywhere on its beautiful and brightly colored screen.
And PlayStation Vita version will also have new features! With the integration of these new features, we want the game to be enjoyable by both LA-MULANA fans as well as retro action game fans. (For example, a Monster Bestiary is planned).
LA-MULANA PORTABLE (Working Title) is planned for release in December 2014. Be sure to experience for yourself this retro action game masterpiece!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/11/la-mulana-portable-japanese-retro-action-on-ps-vita/

BigDug13

At least Japanese developers and indie developers are keeping the system on life support. (Still love me some Borderlands 2 Vita, so thanks for that Sony!)

I need another memory card!

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Without a doubt, it’s the tuned experience for mobile play! LA-MULANA Portable (Working Title) is a PlayStation Vita game, so you can play anytime and anywhere on its beautiful and brightly colored screen.
Uh I guess that's "tuned for mobile play"...

So excited about this! The game is pretty much Dark Souls meets Spelunky(game explains nothing to you, large world to explore, and Spelunky-like platforming), without the randomly generated levels, for those of you who haven't heard of this. Also, there's curry rice.

December it is, then! Very much looking forward to it...always felt made for portable. I just wish it was available sooner for a looming business trip.

RM8

Honestly, 1001 Spikes is more or less what I wanted La Mulana to be. Play that too, people! It's already out.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet. Ready to double dip, maybe try to actually finish it off this time

RM8

1001 Spikes was not on my radar, but now I have to check it out!
The difficulty in 1001 Spikes comes from the actual platforming, it's not a frustrating "where I'm supposed to go now" experience. Not saying La Mulana is bad, I just think 1001 Spikes is more fun :p

Arzehn

I started playing this on the PC and really liked it but I stopped. I heard the Vita version was coming and decided to wait. I'm not sure I can wait till December though, didn't think it was that far off.

Takao

Banned
Spelunky
1001 Spikes
and now La-Mulana

PS Vita would be Indy's favourite.

xAKCD1D.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Why isnt this game taking uo the whole screen?

Because it's impossible to do. La-Mulana is made up of non-scrolling screens, and increasing the aspect ratio would either 1) stretch the image or 2) show the next screen, which would break the game.

Have they fixed the fact that the game is totally full of unfair not-fun traps designed exclusively to piss you off, obscure puzzles that are unsolvable without a guide, frustrating level design in which you're never sure just exactly where you should be going, and relating to the previous point, the game forcing you to try *anything*, even very nonsensical things, to move forward but often punishing you harshly for trying do so? A game that teaches you to defy it, but at some point punishes you by silently turning on "ultrahard mode" when you do so? A game where you'll spend 50% of your time warping back to that same goddamn healing fountain which takes forever to warp back to and replenish your health, because this is the only (or most convenient) place you can replenish your health for most of the game?

Basically, this game was terrible for most of the same reasons that Castlevania 2 was terrible. Have they fixed any of it?

If not, I would recommend anyone to stay the fuck away from that game unless they are a pure masochist.

Hybrid897

Sweet stopped playing the first one after hearing it would be coming out on Vita. Glad its finally got a date of sorts.

This game may not be for everyone, but I'm glad that it's getting a decent amount of love. Hope it does well on the Vita, so Nigoro can make some nice cash to go into La Mulana 2 development.

Have they fixed the fact that the game is totally full of unfair not-fun traps designed exclusively to piss you off, obscure puzzles that are unsolvable without a guide, frustrating level design in which you're never sure just exactly where you should be going, and relating to the previous point, the game forcing you to try *anything*, even very nonsensical things, to move forward but often punishing you harshly for trying do so? A game that teaches you to defy it, but at some point punishes you by silently turning on "ultrahard mode" when you do so? A game where you'll spend 50% of your time warping back to that same goddamn healing fountain which takes forever to warp back to and replenish your health, because this is the only (or most convenient) place you can replenish your health for most of the game?

Basically, this game was terrible for most of the same reasons that Castlevania 2 was terrible. Have they fixed any of it?

If not, I would recommend anyone to stay the fuck away from that game unless they are a pure masochist.

lol

Came up a wee bit short of the game's requirements did we?

lol

Came up a wee bit short of the game's requirements did we?

As someone who can beat Contra or even Lifeforce on NES without losing a single life, has finished REmake on "Invisible Enemy" mode, or Halo on Legendary for example, and just all around enjoys hard but fair games and beating them without ever resorting to a guide, I'm sorry but La Mulana is anything but fair or hard. It just plain sucks. There is no fun to be had playing a game that was designed to piss you off in every conceivable way from start to finish. It is not a fair challenge, just an infuriating torture device.

I take it you consider that Castlevania 2 is one of the best game ever, then?

As someone who can beat Contra or even Lifeforce on NES without losing a single life, has finished REmake on "Invisible Enemy" mode, or Halo on Legendary for example, and just all around enjoys hard but fair games and beating them without ever resorting to a guide, I'm sorry but La Mulana is anything but fair or hard. It just plain sucks. There is no fun to be had playing a game that was designed to piss you off in every conceivable way from start to finish. It is not a fair challenge, just an infuriating torture device.

Yikes. This doesn't sound fun.

Yikes. This doesn't sound fun.
The game is literally supposed to kill you with traps and shit, many of which you learn how to avoid. The puzzles are obscure, yeah, but its not like there's an internet or anything, and they CAN be solved.
But if you go around whipping every single thing forever and not paying attention yeah I bet it wouldn't be fun.

lol

That game got that shaker of yours so shook up! Spray that salt!

There was THREE things in that game that crossed the line, which is a fine track record for something so highly tuned and dense with mechanics and interactions.

Physical mastery of the kind you're tooting your own horn about is merely a single facet required of this game. You come up short with just that, the game doesn't just kill you, it lets you linger...wandering lost and impotent as you've experienced.

The end of this fad of dubbing "difficulty" only physical reaction-based processes can't come soon enough.

Puru

Outside of the extremely crytpic puzzles this game is pretty good. They really went to far with those.

Top Bottom