• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Next Cloud Demo being planned will show BW/ CPU/ Latency Info

Kayant

x43cpYB.png

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/477221266558951424

Lock if struck in clouds.

So we should get to see how realistic this is going to be for games that will use the cloud in this way.

Thanks to dualshockers for the heads up.

Edit -

Previous demo based on early Crackdown 3 work

-PXG-

This will be very interesting. But how doctored and controlled is this test going to be? They could easily cook these numbers. Latency is a real factor here. You can't compare a world class internet connection of a huge corporation to some dude who lives in bum fuck Nebraska.

Anion

Crackdown demo. Do it Phil

probably won't be as that game is like coming out 2015, I believe

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
cool. when are they showing this? im kinda tired of them just talking about it

Well they had a demo at Build 2014, which we now know was prototype work on Crackdown.

Will be interesting to see if that can be pulled off.

Basically confirms Crackdown as an always online game though.

coldone

Most importantly, what about games like MGS, Diablo, COD, BF, Madden, FIFA that are coming this year.

I want to play games today, this week, this month, this year. If cloud is coming in 2016, i will buy a Xbone in 2016 after the tech is available in games.
tumblr_lx0aglz5cj1r8058ko1_500.gif

Anion

Most importantly, what about games like MGS, Diablo, COD, BF, Madden, FIFA that are coming this year.

I want to play games today, this week, this month, this year. If cloud is coming in 2016, i will buy a Xbone in 2016 after the tech is available in games.
tumblr_lx0aglz5cj1r8058ko1_500.gif
What about them? They are still coming lol

zebwinz

How about just showing the game.

This isn't really about a specific game - it's about people questioning the physics destruction in the Build demo they showed. There is so much negativity towards Microsoft saying anything about the cloud so if they can show a demo with more specific info, that would only be a good thing. Just like when Naugthy Dog had to come out and reiterate that the UC4 trailer was in-engine 1080p/60.

I believe what we need to see:

* The specific conditions where it "works".
* How the software reacts to a dropped connection (local or server).
* How the software reacts to a slow or lagging connection.
* Assuming it handles these cases, how much development/design work this takes.
* Assuming the development work is viable, what restrictions does this place on interactivity with the chosen effects. Will they be cosmetic only (because you can't guarantee when and where the changes will appear to the player) and hence better done as pre-calculated scenes.

A demo covering all that would set the record straight.

t_wilson01

I hope they show something meaningful this time that really proves how viable this is going to be for games, instead of just blowing hot air.

This will be very interesting. But how doctored and controlled is this test going to be? They could easily cook these numbers. Latency is a real factor here. You can't compare a world class internet connection of a huge corporation to some dude who lives in bum fuck Nebraska.

Why would I want to live there?

A demo is nice. They really need to release a game that use the tech in a way that's essential & fun. I've found drivatars & Titanfall's AI to be useless at best but more often not aggravating.

Even using the cloud for environmental destruction will need to be done in a way that makes gameplay fun. I still don't think it'll be that much of a feather in the X1's cap until some third party releases a game on both systems that is much better on the X1 because of the cloud.

rokkerkory

Hope it works out well and is beneficial for games.

Cloud has been great for other consumer electronic devices, let's do same with gaming.

Leb

First of all, I hate the term 'slippery slope' because it's a slippery slope into arguments about slippery slopes and before you know it, someone is comparing something to Hitler. Nonetheless, even if all this tech works as advertised, isn't this a slippery slope into games as a service?

I mean, take a look on the PC side and we have MS's GFWL service going dark this year and with its passing is going a bunch of games. So what happens to our integrally cloud-enhanced games when the Xbox One service goes dark in 2020?

nynt9

I believe what we need to see:

* The specific conditions where it "works".
* How the software reacts to a dropped connection (local or server).
* How the software reacts to a slow or lagging connection.
* Assuming it handles these cases, how much development/design work this takes.
* Assuming the development work is viable, what restrictions does this place on interactivity with the chosen effects. Will they be cosmetic only (because you can't guarantee when and where the changes will appear to the player) and hence better done as pre-calculated scenes.

A demo covering all that would set the record straight.

Great questions. Also would like to add:

* When they decide to pull the plug on the system, will the game still be playable?
* Does the presence/absence of this affect the framerate of the game?

jaypah

He said we should by Xbox one over PS4 because cloud will make games better. I want to know
1) when it will it make better
2) what happens to the games that are getting released till that point ?

I believe he also said because of their games. That was in a thread based on a recent interview. This is apparently about a tweet saying they were trying to put together a better demo of the cloud destruction stuff.

kdoll08

This. I actually get good speed in ohio. But yeah Microsoft's 200mb connection is not normal for most.

t_wilson01

First of all, I hate the term 'slippery slope' because it's a slippery slope into arguments about slippery slopes and before you know it, someone is comparing something to Hitler. Nonetheless, even if all this tech works as advertised, isn't this a slippery slope into games as a service?

I mean, take a look on the PC side and we have MS's GFWL service going dark this year and with its passing is going a bunch of games. So what happens to our integrally cloud-enhanced games when the Xbox One service goes dark in 2020?

We live in a society that mainly thinks about the here and now, and doesn't really think about the near future or just doesn't care. I've always thought that digital purchases are really just rentals, yet others wouldn't have it any other way.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I think it's hilarious MS helped set this studio up and don't own it. Phil's really going to have to prove he gives a fuck about 1st party output. MS' stable of studios is laughable atm, and I'm a big Xbox fan.

Cloudgine isn't a game studio. They're a cloud tech company helping MS on Crackdown. Not sure Cloudgine is actually developing the entire game.

Or at least they're website doesn't make that clear.

Hawk269

They may be able to have an online/offline mode. Just very basic destruction while offline.

It could be like that. On my gaming PC and I know this is different, but using Nvidia PhysX you can turn it on and off and the difference is pretty substantial. A good example was Mafia 2 with and without PhysX. Perhaps, off-line, there will still be some destruction, but no where to the degree when connected to the servers for the cloud compute.

In this day and age, a game being on-line only is not that big of a deal, what is more of the issue is the amount of bandwidth needed for this to work. If you need a big pipeline, then this is not going to work for many.

I really hope they could do something useful.... I hope this isn't a bring back always online DRM gimmick that could have been done without. They should be able to add an offline mode.

I really hope they could do something useful.... I hope this isn't a bring back always online DRM gimmick that could have been done without. They should be able to add an offline mode.

It's quite possible they could have the destruction turned down or scripted for an offline-only mode.

MrJoe

Banned
It could be like that. On my gaming PC and I know this is different, but using Nvidia PhysX you can turn it on and off and the difference is pretty substantial. A good example was Mafia 2 with and without PhysX. Perhaps, off-line, there will still be some destruction, but no where to the degree when connected to the servers for the cloud compute.

there is no correlation between what a GPU (local) can do and what the "cloud" (remote) can do. your comparison is highly specious. but then you already knew that; "I know this is different."

How about just showing the game.

neogaf is schizophrenic...

It almost seems like no matter what MS says we want the opposite here.

Neogaf: BS! CLOUD TECH IS BS! SHUT UP AND SHOW PROOF!
MS: Okay, we're working on a demo for you. Thanks for the feedback.
Neogaf: Conspiracy! Conspiracy! You're going to try and fool us!
Neogaf: Why don't you just show the damn game, jesus!

sigh...

Maybe they are still in development? There is a hint Crackdown 3 will benefit from it, but that's about it.

Phil Spencer came right out and said the Build demo was early Crackdown work. The demo uses some of the same buildings found in the Crackdown trailer. More than a hint.

BTM

Why would I want to live there?

You guys are making me sad. :(
I live in this general area and I get decent speeds.

CoG

Do we need a thread for every tweet Phil Spencer makes? There's already a thread on this topic.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I think it's hilarious MS helped set this studio up and don't own it. Phil's really going to have to prove he gives a fuck about 1st party output. MS' stable of studios is laughable atm, and I'm a big Xbox fan.

Found it. From the Kotaku article.

Jones' company won't be handling development of this new Crackdown alone. "His Cloudgine company is doing a lot of the technology behind Crackdown," Spencer said. "And then we'll probably get some other production studios involved to help with the full development of the game and our own internal team."

Awesome. It'll be nice when people can see that it's not vaporware.
Then we can stop arguing and get to real discussions regarding the cloud.

Do we need a thread for every tweet Phil Spencer makes? There's already a thread on this topic.
Wouldn't you like to see some proof that the cloud can offer some tangible, and feasible, benefits to games?

RedStep

there is no correlation between what a GPU (local) can do and what the "cloud" (remote) can do. your comparison is highly specious. but then you already knew that; "I know this is different."

The point of the statement is that the same game (let's say Mirror's Edge or Borderlands 2) can have PhysX "on" and "off" modes, both being viable games but one with "more".

A game with cloud-based physics processing could also have "on" and "off" modes, with one (online) using remote computing and the other (offline) being more basic local physics (Earth Defense Force-style).

Do you understand now?

UberTag

I live in Janesville, WI or Blacksburg, VA. These cities aren't equipped for Cloud magic.
How will this demo help me?

coldone

neogaf is schizophrenic...

It almost seems like no matter what MS says we want the opposite here.

Neogaf: BS! CLOUD TECH IS BS! SHUT UP AND SHOW PROOF!
MS: Okay, we're working on a demo for you. Thanks for the feedback.
Neogaf: Conspiracy! Conspiracy! You're going to try and fool us!
Neogaf: Why don't you just show the damn game, jesus!

sigh...

Problem is they have a history of releasing half baked idea like Kinect. If they are like apple who wont announce till it is ready, people wont be this skeptical.

Top Bottom