• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty and suicide: should parents be concerned?

Tak3n

Banned
Recent case in the UK where a Coroner (similar to what I believe is a Medical Examiner, for you guys in the states) has raised concerns about the amount of cases where COD seems to be appearing as possibly the reason these teenagers are killing themselves.

A coroner in Manchester has linked the video game Call of Duty with a series of suicides he has investigated. But can games affect teenagers in this way? This week, a coroner in Manchester has expressed concerns about the first-person shooter game, Call of Duty.

After recording a suicide verdict on William Menzies, 16, who was found asphyxiated in his bedroom in Hale, Greater Manchester, John Pollard stated: "I have to say, and this is after three or four inquests into the deaths of teens, the Call of Duty game seems to be figuring in recent activity before death. It concerns me greatly."

Menzies was described as a "straight A" student who had not, to the coroner's knowledge, expressed suicidal thoughts. In the inquest, Pollard referred to a previous suicide, that of 14-year-old Callum Green, who was found hanged in his bedroom in March 2011, and was known to have been a fan of Call of Duty. Pollard also linked the game to the deaths of two other unnamed teenagers he had investigated.

Pollard is not explicitly imparting blame on the game series, but his concerns are ambiguous. "I suspect but I don't know because I don't have enough evidence, that William may have been experimenting with something or deliberately intending to do something."

The cases are incredibly sad and no doubt extremely worrying to parents of boys who are of a similar age and who perhaps play similar titles on their consoles or PC. But can a link be made between suicide and a video game?

Psychologists are not convinced

Certainly, psychologists are unconvinced. "There's absolutely no evidence that any video games have been associated with suicide," says Dr Mark Griffiths of Nottingham Trent University who has spent 25 years studying gambling and gaming addiction. "If you look at the research, there are so many different risk factors - psychiatric disorders, various psychological states, cultural, family and social situations, even genetics. There are so many things that tend to contribute to suicide that blaming one particular game is almost impossible."

It is not clear exactly how Pollard envisions a link – whether it is due to content or duration of play. The Call of Duty series of video games depicts graphic warfare and military violence, but it has not significantly featured suicide, aside from a harrowing scene in the 2010 title, Call of Duty: Black Ops, in which the lead character is forced to play "Russian Roulette" by enemy soldiers. The sequence ends with the player turning the gun on his captors.

As for excessive or addictive gaming, there have been several studies looking into links with depression. In 2011, Jose Valadez and Christopher Ferguson of the University of Texas carried out research into the effects of games on both aggression and depression. They found that effects were, "below levels for practical significance." A study published in 2011 by Dr. Erick Messias of the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, found that teenagers who played video games for five hours or more every day were more likely to report feelings of sadness, but that those who played for less than two hours were less likely to report similar feelings than those who did not play games at all.

"The effects of video game violence in terms of aggression and depression are hotly debated in academia but there is no clear evidence of a link," says cyberpsychologist, Berni Good. "There is actually a lot of critique around the study methodologies being used. Correlation is not causation - and nothing has been proven in the literature currently available."

'The research is lacking'

As Good argues, although a lot of research has been carried out in this areas, the methodologies have tended to provide inconclusive results. "Psychologists do not yet fully understand the impact of playing video games," she says. "There is zero evidence to suggest that people will engage in video games and then take that behaviour offline – the research is lacking. What would really be valuable in this area is a longitudinal study that factors in other elements - what is happening in the environment of the individual? What genetic predisposition might they have?"

Griffiths agrees that a problem with current research into the influence of video games is that much of it is based on short-term effects. "There have been a number of studies into excessive playing, we find lots of different personality factors and psychological states associated with addiction, there are so many mediating factors," he says. "But none of these studies are longitudinal – they never control for whether there is something in each individual that predisposes them toward seeking out violent games or toward spending a lot of time on the internet."

"Call of Duty has sold over 100m copies - the fact that four teenagers all played the game tells us very little; they may also have all watched the same film recently. At the very best you could suggest that a game may have a minor contributory role, but even that goes beyond the evidence, and there are usually so many other contributory factors."

The agonising problem for parents is that discovering the factors that have contributed to suicide can be very difficult - especially with young men. Pollard stated that "there was no note or indication [Menzies] was feeling down or distressed." However, in its recent report, Men and Suicide: Why It's a Social Issue The Samaritans reiterate the fact that men are much less likely to talk about or seek help with their emotions. "Men can experience a ‘big-build’" the report states. "They don’t recognise or deal with their distress, but let it build up to breaking point." The charity provides a guide for parents on spotting the signs that a young person may be at risk of suicide.

It can be difficult to monitor what a teenager is playing or what they're looking at on a computer, but there are measures to protect them. Bringing the games console into a communal area of the house or setting up the parental controls in order to limit the time being spent on a games machine are good ideas if gaming is becoming a problem. All the main console manufacturers – Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo – publish online guides on how to set up parental controls on their systems. Sitting down with your child to play a favourite game will help you to understand it, and may also provide a safe space to discuss other issues.

It's also worth keeping an eye on the age ratings of the games that children and teenagers are playing. Every game bought in shops or at sites like Amazon have to show a PEGI age rating, which are just like the BBFC ratings on movies – they tell you if the content is unsuitable for specific age groups. If a game is rated PEGI 18+, which most of the Call of Duty titles are, it means the title contains graphic violence, sex or drug use and is not suitable for those under 18.

The deaths of these young boys are tragic, but suicide is a complex issue. It is often not something that can easily be attributed to one single cause. Parents should understand what their children are playing, but it is extremely unlikely that a single game, book, CD or film will, alone, prompt them toward suicidal thoughts.

Soph

These accusations have been proven false time and time again, sometimes there's a correlation but never a causation. As psychology students we laugh at their pretenses.

MegaMelon

I can't see a correlation tbh with you. If someone killed themselves over a videogame then we have bigger problems to worry about like the mental stability of said people rather than what videogame it was.

Suicide is one of the most common cause of death and Call of Duty is one of the most popular video games. I hope the coroner checked the statistics carefully before making that bold claim.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Beyond ridiculous.

Millions upon millions play CoD. Because a handful out of those people do ANYTHING does not link CoD to the behavior.

Lechery

Neo Member
Let's not discuss this.
We all know that a causal realationship between COD and suicide (amongst other things vidjo gaemz are blamed for) can't be established with any of the empirical data, as of yet.

Zack117

Banned
Parents should look out after what their kids play. These games are rated for an age of 18+ for a reason. Even though I think worse things could happen with Mario kart.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Am I missing something or do they not really give a reason for the correlation. Like they killed themselves because of x? Or is it just 'they played CoD'

Gangxxter

I could see that the trash talk in the online multiplayer made him commit suicide, if at all. But this is a social/cyber mobbing problem and not a problem with COD.

Radec

Yeah if these Parents would stop buying M-rated games that is known for violence(both in-game and vocally by its players) on their 14 year olds, that would be great.

liquidtmd

Banned
Suicide is nothing to joke about dude.

True, but its being equally trivialized by these jackasses mentioning it in the same context as Call Of Duty.

Want a reason for suicide for that demographic? How about an increasingly brutal jobs market for those with and without academic credentials, a ridiculously unattainable foot on the housing ladder and a fragramentation of society generally by a focus on technology to communicate / function instead of an emphasis on physical goods and services.

But no. Callodoody did it.

Spineker

Banned
I can see the trash talk that happens on CoD having an effect on some people but to the point of suicide? Unlikely.

Doombacon

Parents should be concerned about Call of Duty causing teenagers to commit suicide to the same degree they should be concerned that Call of Duty is causing them to develop an interest in homosexual relationships.

Coroners is one of the most respected jobs in the UK, this story was nationwide, even hitting an American show host 'Glenn Beck' (no idea who he is)

I would be legitimately concerned about any story I was championing if he wanted to run a story on it.

"I suspect but I don't know because I don't have enough evidence, that William may have been experimenting with something or deliberately intending to do something."
Excellent deduction by this masterful coroner.

Coroners is one of the most respected jobs in the UK, this story was nationwide, even hitting an American show host 'Glenn Beck' (no idea who he is)

The fact that Glenn Beck has picked it up tells you everything you need to know about it. Do a quick search for him.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

I know that wasn't the source, my point was that it sounds as if it could have been. And I know what a Coroner is, you shouldn't assume everyone is from the US

QaaQer

Yeah if these Parents would stop buying M-rated games that is known for violence(both in-game and vocally by its players) on their 14 year olds, that would be great.

And games that are highly addictive, and designed to be that way by a billion dollar corporation.

QaaQer

And, is it far-fetched to think that a game some people play for dozens of hours a week might have some effect on susceptible teens? IDK, but it is possible and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. I know compulsive chess players have been shown to see the world differently then their cohorts.

The source for this article is The Guardian, not sure why that was missing in OP.

A study published in 2011 by Dr. Erick Messias of the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, found that teenagers who played video games for five hours or more every day were more likely to report feelings of sadness, but that those who played for less than two hours were less likely to report similar feelings than those who did not play games at all.

Less than 2 hours of videogames a day keeps the sad feelings away?

What you're doing right now is the equivilent of going into a doctor's office and asking them if they know about this new anti-vaccination movement.

I mean. Come on. Apply some common sense, OP. Call of Duty caused a young boy to not only kill himself, but hang himself?

This type of hysteria does nothing but trivializes the very real issues going on here.

Maybe these kids are playing video games so much because they feel alone?

And, is it far-fetched to think that a game some people play for dozens of hours a week might have some effect on susceptible teens? IDK, but it is possible and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. I know compulsive chess players have been shown to see the world differently then their cohorts.

Sure, but evidence here seems to be four teens have committed suicide and they also played Call of Duty. That's about it. To even try to connect them publicly without actually doing proper research seems very careless.

Skele7on

Banned
seriously, what did I just read?

Bunch of crap. anyway what the fuck are kids doing playing an 18 rated game.

I think the blame really is on the parents letting gaming be a kids babysitter.

Sojgat

Four depressed kids played one of the most popular video games in the world before committing suicide...

I think this guy might be on to something.

mr2xxx

Banned
How does a coroner become a psychologist? He gets a dead body but somehow he knows every environmental stressor that caused this kids suicide.

Teenagers who have commited suicide have interests similar to other teenagers shocker!

The headline might as well have been "Coroner believes oxygen breathing linked to teenage suicide"

Most teenagers today play Call of Duty, the game sells ridiculous amounts.

Kayant

I bet they all brush their teeth, have cell phones and drink Monster, maybe that's the connection.

Such bollocks.

Like all supposed video games causing murder, suicide etc. Games don't kill people they only influence the mind of those that are not mentality stable. This relates to all forms of media or do people think someone with not mentality stable watching violence films/shows can't have the same effect.

The problem here is people's minds not being mentality stable in order to separate reality from fiction or getting influence to commit an action.

If video games were so influential hundreds of millions of people would have become murders, committed suicide etc by now.

The fact he is linking the boy's suicide to being a fan of Call of duty is stupid. What about that other things he was a fan of? All the other possible life changes/events?

And then we also not going to the fact these kids/teens shouldn't be playing the game in the first place.

"I suspect but I don't know because I don't have enough evidence, that William may have been experimenting with something or deliberately intending to do something."
Yet you are sure call of duty is the likely cause.

Source is theguardian btw.

RulkezX

Well if you pick a random sampling of male teens in the UK I am going to assume a really high % will have played CoD.

I'm also willing to bet they play football , watch TV , play FIFA and mastrubate frequently.

I bet they all drank Tea daily as well. Some stuff is just gonna be a common link through certain demographics.

hodgy100

Hey guys I just discovered that people who commit suicide are 100% of the time breathing before they commit suicide! Obviously correlation = causation and we should ban breathing so there are less suicides!

On a serious note. Ffs when you have a game that sells 20 million copies + a year of course its going to be in many peoples recent activities. Correlation != causation

DeaviL

Banned
I can see how CoD comes into it,
i can also see they're looking for something easy to blame so they don't have to waste any time.

These kids are probably coming home with the thought in the back of their head and turn to videogames to distract themselves.
When that doesn't help they actually go through with it.

QaaQer

Sure, but evidence here seems to be four teens have committed suicide and they also played Call of Duty. That's about it. To even try to connect them publicly without actually doing proper research seems very careless.

If there is a possibility of there being a problem--like weed increasing chances of schizo, for example--then they have a duty to ask. Thats how research begins, with questions.

Maybe its bunk, maybe not; but saying questions shouldn't be asked is weird as the only thing questions might hurt is Activsion's sales to young teens.

QaaQer

How does a coroner become a psychologist? He gets a dead body but somehow he knows every environmental stressor that caused this kids suicide.

Coroners get training in epidemiology and public health because they need to be able to identify patterns.

If there is a possibility of there being a problem--like weed increasing chances of schizo, for example--then they have a duty to ask. Thats how research begins, with questions.

Maybe its bunk, maybe not; but saying questions shouldn't be asked is weird as the only thing questions might hurt is Activsion's sales to young teens.

He should ask people that can do research into it, and if any link is found, then it'd make sense to present it to the public. Just throwing out theories, and that's all this is, really isn't helping anyone. It's no wonder that Glenn Beck was so quick to pick it up. It's right up his alley in terms of actually research done into the issue.

Top Bottom