• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order:1886 "won't have QTE's every 3-4 minutes, will make them compelling"

sjay1994

http://gamingbolt.com/ready-at-dawn...nt-go-crazy-by-including-it-every-3-4-minutes

“I don’t have a specific answer to that, but once every 3-4 minutes?…No! As much as necessary,” assures Turndorf . ” There are many kinds of QTEs. There are really compelling ones at the end of a boss battle or just a melee encounter which makes it more gratifying and gives it some branches which are really fun.”
“Then there are some little things like opening a door and things like that. There are plenty in the game, as many as necessary but we don’t go crazy like “Oh! It’s been 4 minutes, we don’t have a QTE, we need a QTE, ahh! What are we gonna do?!” It’s not like that. We tried to place them in compelling manners that users can really enjoy,” he said to GamingBolt.

Press x if old.

Interested to see how they make mashing square compelling.

StuBurns

Banned
I feel like this game went from insane hype to no one caring at all.

They really need to show the game well, E3 made it seem like crap.

Did anyone really think it would be every 3-4 minutes?

Or is that just the current generations aptitude to exaggerate every little thing.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
a QTE to open a door...

as many QTEs as necessary...

sjay1994

Lost interest when I saw twitch footage.

Regained some interest with werewolf.

Game needs to be shown better. It's a beautiful looking game, but the gameplay shown isn't very compelling.

Did anyone really think it would be every 3-4 minutes?

Or is that just the current generations aptitude to exaggerate every little thing.

I think the problem is that so far all the showings of the game have demonstrated very little actual gameplay. Even the sections where you have full control over the action don't seem to affect the outcome of what happens next.

It reminds me of Asura's Wrath except this looks so far to have even less game to it.

Salex_

Didn't they say the upcoming videos will focus purely on the gameplay now? They should have did that in the beginning though lol.

The E3 impressions I've read said the gameplay was great, but it didn't really do anything "new".
This says it all....

We've been opening doors with a QTE for over 15 years. The prompt comes up, you press a button, and the animation plays. This is what that means.

robotrock

Banned
I think the problem is that so far all the showings of the game have demonstrated very little actual gameplay. Even the sections where you have full control over the action don't seem to affect the outcome of what happens next.

It reminds me of Asura's Wrath except this looks so far to have even less game to it.

If the narrative/storytelling was as good as Asura's Wrath, I totally wouldn't mind less game.

VanWinkle

Almost all of my hype is gone for this game, unfortunately. Makes me sad, since it was the game that excited me most when it was revealed last E3.

I'd have to agree. Looks far too linear for me and I'm not a big fan of games that remove you from the action every few minutes.

Dmonzy

*compelling qtes*

*like end of a boss fight*...

yeah ok.

I thought the same :/

I hate QTEs to end a boss. Some of my most exciting moments in gaming have been the last few seconds of a boss fight where you're still in control and there's a big possibility of failure. Taking that away diminishes the value of the fight...

wapplew

The way I see it, they are not necessary QTE, just a normal cut scene, the only different is they let you have some "control" just to show all of them are real time.

So far we only saw very beginning of the game, and we all know how a tutorial section play like.
Hopefully they will show something more compelling until release.

sub_o

Simple way to solve this issue, is to release a gameplay video where it's 80+% gameplay. If they can't, then maybe there's too many cinematics in it.

All these claims won't do any good for them.

Sami+

I'm all for game's being "filmic" if that's what the developer wants to do. The Last of Us and Metal Gear Solid 3 are both games I hold in extremely high regard.

But what we saw at E3 from the Order was just baaaaaaaad. :/

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why not just make it so there aren't any QTEs at all? They don't do anything but poorly disguise when you're watching a cutscene, and then make it so you can't even really watch the cutscene.

If the narrative/storytelling was as good as Asura's Wrath, I totally wouldn't mind less game.

I agree. I think that there's room for game's like AW where you're just along for the ride but Capcom made that pretty clear from the beginning. I still don't feel like I know what's going on with The Order.

The atmosphere looks really wonderful so I hope there's more action and exploration than the showings have demonstrated so far.

I'm all for game's being "filmic" if that's what the developer wants to do. The Last of Us and Metal Gear Solid 3 are both games I hold in extremely high regard.

But what we saw at E3 from the Order was just baaaaaaaad. :/
Except those devs didnt literally add their gameplay because, and I quote "Its a game, so we HAD to"...

Freeman

Banned
TLoU had QTE's, I barely even noticed it. QTE's have their use.

I think The Order will be much better than people expect, a lot of people seem to jump at the worst possible conclusion anytime something of the game is shown.

inky

I don't know. I didn't think it looked like crap. It looked like the "cinematic experience" they are claiming it is, which means, everything works in favor of the cool cinematic reveals. I wouldn't expect it to feel much different than a game like God of War for example, where spectacle is key, and even though you are left to traverse some areas on your own, when the game wants to show you something it will make sure it is properly framed, and a certain degree of control will be taken away from you during these sections, where you will interact only through the specified button prompts.

I dont really see pushing a button to open a door as a QTE. I've heard it all before. They never work out well. I expect this branching path pitch to be

Path A - succeed
Path B - death animation

Would love to be surprised but I have more respect for games that use them as a last resort, or not at all.

Top Bottom