• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X coming to 3DS in September (Japan)

L~A

Edit: Trailer for the 3DS version (good thing I thought of checking Dailymotion.... haven't been there in ages, ha ha) : here.

Dragon Quest X is coming to the 3DS, on September 4 to be exact. Game will cost 3,800 yen. Players on 3DS will be able to play with the other platforms (PC, Wii U, Wii, etc...), but no 3D effect.

This uses the same kind of cloud functionality that the smartphone version uses, so the game is not running natively on the 3DS and thus not limited by its hardware.

img01.png

Source and the official website.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
On a scale of "Maaaaaaybeh" to "HA HA HA HA HA HA No", what are the chances of localization now?

I mean, they didn't even bother with PC, and that's where the MMO audience is...

Bleep

This wouldn't be very portable unless there is an offline mode of some kind... I guess you could tether your 3DS to your phone.

Seems like a poor fit for the 3DS based on that pic/no 3D...but it might show how DQ XI will look on it if it is 3DS exclusive though.

Aeana

This uses the same kind of cloud functionality that the smartphone version uses, so the game is not running natively on the 3DS and thus not limited by its hardware.

Huh. I remember people saying it barely ran well on the Wii. How can this work on the dinky little 3DS?

EDIT: whoops, nvm. i see my question has been answered by other posters

Firebrand

Huh. I wonder what kind of frame rates one could expect from a 3DS version. The Wii version didn't seem to run particularly smoothly already.

Ah, alright.

How in the hell is a full MMO going to work on the 3DS? It just boggles the mind, really.

And yeah, this definitely won't get ported over (as usual for DQ)

EDIT: Never mind, got explained up top. Is this the first 3DS game to use cloud technology?

Takao

Banned

Oh, that's not as exciting.

I guess they're just selling a download card with prepaid time on it?

L~A

Well, there goes any hope of local play, I guess...

Strange choice of platform for an MMO. If they want to bring it overseas, PS4 is better for it. But I guess they are releasing it in Japan only.

Top screen is fake but bottom screen is real. What is this a half bullshot?

Seriously though what a waste of the bottom screen if true.

crinale

You can use the same account from other versions.
However even if you do so you still have to pay separate subscription fee for this version.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
An MMO, on 3DS? How's that even-

Oh.

Murrah

Banned
This is really bizarre but fascinating. And I guess that's all I really have to say about this since I know I'll never get to play it

L Thammy

Strange choice of platform for an MMO. If they want to bring it overseas, PS4 is better for it. But I guess they are releasing it in Japan only.

Not really strange for a Dragon Quest, though, considering how the series has been on 3DS and DS.
Wonder how this will go. It's already on smartphones and PC; this shouldn't do much to increase its exposure, right?

Top Bottom