• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft is now the best selling PC game of all time

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Minecraft has now surpassed all other PC games and has sold more copies than any of them in history with over 16 million sales:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games#List

http://geekshizzle.com/2014/07/08/top-10-best-selling-pc-games-of-all-time/

And this train is still going at a strong pace too.

nothing_stops_this_train-9763.gif

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Really doubt that Sims 2 only sold 6 million copies ...not too mention most games on the list are full priced games.
Still what an success.

joeyjoejoe

Neo Member
Congrats to Notch and Jeb, and the rest of the team. Glad to see this game at the top with its focus on creativity and open world building mechanics. :D

Elija2

At this rate it'll probably end up being the best-selling game of all time (if you include the console versions).

absolutly deserved it, one of my favourite games
actually the game that brought me into the indie scene too which i havent really considered before

if only a morpheus support or a non java version would be considered :(

Damaniel

Banned
I had no idea Blizzard held this title previously with Diablo III.

Indeed - for all the hate that game got, it sure didn't affect the sales any.

(The game did have its issues at launch, but it's gotten much better in the months that followed.)

And congrats to Notch! Glad to be one of those (many) PC sales, having bought my copy (and 3 others) way back during the original alpha phase.

Saty

Wiki's source for Diablo 3 includes console versions. The last figure for the PC version was 12M.

Didn't WOW have 12 million concurrent subscribers at one point...?! Bullshit it's only sold 14 million copies.

But either way, no doubt Minecraft is a modern phenomenon.

Congrats, and deserved.

I just got the PS3 disc edition and it rekindled my love for it all over again. They did a decent job of making it work with a pad.

Well deserved. Couldn't be happier, hopefully the generation growing up on Minecraft will continue to expect and demand more player freedom and agency in their games.

Krejlooc

Banned
Minecraft has now surpassed all other PC games and has sold more copies than any of them in history with over 16 million sales:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games#List

And this train is still going at a strong pace too.

nothing_stops_this_train-9763.gif

That list is incredibly inaccurate. For example they list Diablo 2 at 4 million units sold. It had sold 4 million units... in 2001. In 2008, 11 million people played Diablo 2.

Most PC games don't release sales figures, there is absolutely no way to know which games sell the most. Regardless, I'd expect on a number of tencent games having more than 16 million active users.

Furthermore:
Lt5dRGZ.png

Damian.

Banned
Congratulations, the best selling game on PC is a game that is barely supported on the PC with an ignorant developer that doesn't give two shits about the version that catapulted him to where he is today. Where the fuck is splitscreen co-op and controller support? Fuck you, Notch.

Newline

Didn't WOW have 12 million concurrent subscribers at one point...?! Bullshit it's only sold 14 million copies.

But either way, no doubt Minecraft is a modern phenomenon.
Yeah there is absolutely no way that Minecraft has sold more copies than World of Warcraft. No way.

I've still never played it.

I wonder if Diablo 3 would have ended up with more sales than that between launch and auction-house removal/Reaper of Souls, if it wasn't for online-only launch issues, the auction house, a lack of PvP, lvl 60 cap etc

Whatever that hypothetical number would be, Minecraft would probably still beat it eventually.

Blue Volt

Banned
Congratulations, the best selling game on PC is a game that is barely supported on the PC with an ignorant developer that doesn't give two shits about the version that catapulted him to where he is today. Where the fuck is splitscreen co-op and controller support? Fuck you, Notch.

It's not like it was constantly updated for two years with support provided for easy modding.

Does anyone think the insane sales could be detrimental to Notch output of games/creativity?
Everything he does will be compared to Minecrafts sales/succes.

Wikipedia proves it's unreliability, not only does it have the wrong sales, it excludes special editions, and it also excludes shareware downloads (the ones that were tracked)

That sims 2 figure is almost certainly wrong. It sold more than 20 million copies. Or maybe I was transported into an alternate universe where it only sold 6 (what?)

In fact, I think someone edited this list and changed the numbers up. I remember it being very different.

ignoring the fact that it's been regularly supported ever since the "official" release

I agree that controller support would be nice, but it's just as easy to download XPadder and set up a profile for Minecraft. My game plays almost exactly like the 360 version, except for the superior crafting mechanics and a few other buttons for mod features

Fuchsdh

Wikipedia proves it's unreliability, not only does it have the wrong sales, it excludes special editions, and it also excludes shareware downloads (the ones that were tracked)
I'd say it proved is reliability with the caveat that it can only use the sources it has (many games will trumpet their sales early and then we don't hear about sales years later, for instance.) whether you should include shareware as a sale is another question (but how relevant is that to modern games?)

Kadin

I figured WoW clearly had more sales than this simply bases on active subs at its peak. Could be wrong but either way Minecraft definitely deserves the title. I don't play it anymore but man what fun it was when I did. I'm not creative enough to enjoy it beyond the 6-8 months that I actively played it.

Top Bottom