• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft is now the best selling PC game of all time

Enco

Shame development is so slow.

You would think that with such success and money the devs would be releasing way bigger updates way more frequently.

Saty

I checked this list a couple months ago. Both the Sims and the Sims 2 were listed as being above Minecraft, the Sims 2 being at 20 million units. It was changed at around the same time as Tetris had its total boosted to some absurdly high number.
The Sims 2 20M milestone was announced when the game was already out for variety of consoles so you can't attribute that figure solely to the PC version, though it's likely to be a fair share of it.

padlock

Interesting.

According to that list, 3 of the top 4 best selling PC games of all time have 'craft' in the name.

Coincidence? I think not!

nynt9

Yes, there was a time when he wasn't lazy, actually giving a shit about his product. Your point?

Let's totally ignore the fact that there's a new build of Minecraft every week with new features and fixes. They recently added official server support. Before that they completely revamped redstone, added very advanced scripting features that they keep improving, resource packs, and they're adding a ton of features soon.

Brakke

Banned
These numbers are weird. There's no way WoW is 14 million... didn't they peak at like 12 million concurrent subscribers?

Also pretty funny since Minecraft's all-platforms sales are over 50 million. PC gaming ain't shit compared to console.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yes, there was a time when he wasn't lazy, actually giving a shit about his product. Your point?

The game is still updated almost weekly with snaphshots, and official updates many times per year. All for free. How is that lazy again?

They still havent added splitscreen and controller support. Fuck it all, just get your cash and dont look back i guess.

At no point did Notch ever say he was going to add splitscreen or controller support to the game. Not ever. Why would you be upset that he "still" hasn't added it?

I can understand not liking the game due to it's graphics or gameplay, but some of you have very strange reasons for hating Minecraft and Notch. o_O

I do not believe that Civ 5 sold less than a million copies.

Yeah, that seems very wrong to me too. It has to have sold more than that.

dLMN8R

When does a successful creator of something he sells for a single price without charging a subscription officially deserve to be "lazy"?

What is your metric of "ok now he's done enough, I'll stop attacking him for not continually adding things to this game that I haven't paid a single penny for in the last few years"?

massoluk

Banned
My first reaction was.. God damn, it only took 16 million to have the title of best selling PC game? Not trying to take away from the awesome accomplishment, but the disparity between best selling PC games and best selling console systems games gave me a little pause.

What is your metric of "ok now he's done enough, I'll stop attacking him for not continually adding things to this game that I haven't made a single penny for in the last few years"?

If you believe Notch hasn't made any money off of Minecraft in the last few years, you're highly delusional.

That's the biggest new for me in all this, and it pretty much confirms that all hope is lost for the franchise then ...
Have you played Diablo 3 since Launch? They've made lots of huge changes to the game since launch.

I know it's fun to hate on sequels that are different from your childhood, but Blizzard went out of it's way to make a lot of the wrongs right when they could have just "grabbed the money and go".

I believe Diablo 3 still holds the title of fastest selling (6.3 million in 1 week. 3.5 million it's first day) PC game ever.

Kinthalis

Banned
Yeah, we know games like Civ V and Skyrim sold over 6 million copies on PC, and they aren't on that list, not to mention some of the numebrs for other games on this list have obviously never been updated in a decade or more or ever.

The list is highly inaccurate.

Someone should use the data from the Steam piece from ARS and official publisher/dev data to clean up that list!

Kinthalis

Banned
My first reaction was.. God damn, it only took 16 million to have the title of best selling PC game? Not trying to take away from the awesome accomplishment, but the disparity between best selling PC games and best selling console systems games gave me a little pause.

How many Xbox 360 or PS3 exclusives have sold more than 16 million copies? ( and no VG you know who numbers please). I can't think of a single one.

The only games that sell more than that are multi-platform games available on all consoles and PC.

These numbers are weird. There's no way WoW is 14 million... didn't they peak at like 12 million concurrent subscribers?

Also pretty funny since Minecraft's all-platforms sales are over 50 million. PC gaming ain't shit compared to console.
The mobile version actually makes up the majority of the sales.

21 million for pocket edition as of April
16 for PC
12 for 360 as of April
2mil for PS3 as of June

Shame development is so slow.

You would think that with such success and money the devs would be releasing way bigger updates way more frequently.

One of my biggest irks about Mojang's handling of Minecraft. This game could/should of been way more than what it is now. It's friggen depressing.

It shouldn't take 6+ months for them to make an update that contains less than 10 new blocks, some new mob(s), and probably some useless new food item. But time and time again this is what usually happens and what we usually get...

Seanspeed

Banned
It's not like it was constantly updated for two years with support provided for easy modding.
I love Minecraft.

But the support is basically quantity over quality here if we say quantity=time and quality=effort. I appreciate the long-term support, but it still feels like the game could be so much more, especially now that Mojang is pouring rich like Scrooge McDuck. For all that, there's still only a small handful of people working on it and the game is still Java-based, with no intentions of making an up-to-date Minecraft 2. Mod support is decent, but not great. Still involves hassle and most all mods break every update, which is a headache and a half for both mod users and mod creators.

It deserves its success cuz its a brilliant game, but it has the potential to be so much more and Notch is just too god damn unambitious to make it happen and that's supremely disappointing.

Ninja Dom

Diablo 3 is the second highest which is a MASSIVE achievement for only a 2 year old game. Most games in the chart have been out for years. Minecraft took 5 years to get to number 1.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah, we know games like Civ V and Skyrim sold over 6 million copies on PC, and they aren't on that list, not to mention some of the numebrs for other games on this list have obviously never been updated in a decade or more or ever.

The list is highly inaccurate.

Someone should use the data from the Steam piece from ARS and official publisher/dev data to clean up that list!

Do you mean this list?

2506716-4817020127-stack.png

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/syst...of-the-top-selling-steam-games-of-a-31211687/

Technically I suppose that DOTA2 and TF2 don't count since they are free and not "sold", so the highest selling game on Steam then becomes HL2: Lost Coast. Both Skyrim and Civ5 clock in around 6 million sold. Jeez, Valve kind of owns the top sell through spots on steam, quite handily too.

Dire

That's insane! Surely that must be a mistake?!?

PC game sales are rarely announced and largely digital which means companies like NPD miss just about all PC data. It also makes this announcement meaningless clickbait. I've no doubt Minecraft is or will be the best selling game, but it's not like there's any reasonable way to tell exactly when that happens.

I love Minecraft.

But the support is basically quantity over quality here if we say quantity=time and quality=effort. I appreciate the long-term support, but it still feels like the game could be so much more, especially now that Mojang is pouring rich like Scrooge McDuck. For all that, there's still only a small handful of people working on it and the game is still Java-based, with no intentions of making an up-to-date Minecraft 2. Mod support is decent, but not great. Still involves hassle and most all mods break every update, which is a headache and a half for both mod users and mod creators.

It deserves its success cuz its a brilliant game, but it has the potential to be so much more and Notch is just too god damn unambitious to make it happen and that's supremely disappointing.

Mojang is doing the right thing with keeping the team small. Games get soulless with to many people working on them.

Belgorim

Ignore the list people, its not even remotely accurate.

I doubt Minecraft would be best selling if it doubled its numbers.

16M copies is still great though. (If it has even sold 16M that is, the source for that says 15M, so that is probably an extrapolation)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Mojang is doing the right thing with keeping the team small. Games get soulless with to many people working on them.

But a lot of the points he makes are valid. At some point all this money as to be put to bettering the game as it already has such a huge and diverse audience.

Zaphod

To refuse to implement the most basic of features in your creation is indeed a douchebag move and he regularly takes a shit on his paying customers by doing so. I do like to point it out! :D

They still havent added splitscreen and controller support. Fuck it all, just get your cash and dont look back i guess.

Controller support is easily implemented with xpadder or any other similar 3rd party add on program. I'm not sure there are more than 10 games that have ever offered split screen co-op on PC.

Cipherr

I had no idea Blizzard held this title previously with Diablo III.

That's insane! Surely that must be a mistake?!?

Nope, for all the wailing, Diablo 3 sold gangbusters, the vanilla version is very likely over 13 million by now if not more.

Yeah there is absolutely no way that Minecraft has sold more copies than World of Warcraft. No way.

Its actually possible, assuming they don't count the expansions

massoluk

Banned
How many Xbox 360 or PS3 exclusives have sold more than 16 million copies? ( and no VG you know who numbers please). I can't think of a single one.

The only games that sell more than that are multi-platform games available on all consoles and PC.

I'm thinking of the Wii actually.

It is hardly a basic feature for PC games, but it is a very basic feature, as is controller support. Both are left out by ignorant and lazy devs for inane reasons. I do agree, fuck Bioware too, they are bottom of the barrel developers and it shows in their recent work. Absolutely putrid.
Do you enjoy any game at all? Or is being very angry about Videogames and swearing at developers just your shtick?

MCN

Banned
Nothing pisses me off more than when random people on forums call developers "lazy". Developers are people who put everything they have into a game, working insane hours and missing family events during crunch time, and generally experiencing unhealthy levels of stress and pressure to bring you something that amounts to nothing more than a toy in real terms. And some entitled little shit on a forum DARES to call them "lazy" for not adding an arbitrary feature that they personally wanted.

Enco

One of my biggest irks about Mojang's handling of Minecraft. This game could/should of been way more than what it is now. It's friggen depressing.

It shouldn't take 6+ months for them to make an update that contains less than 10 new blocks, some new mob(s), and probably some useless new food item. But time and time again this is what usually happens and what we usually get...
Yup.

Teenage noddles have accomplished much more in much less time.

Don't blame them though. They have the money. Why bother updating. Take it easy and release a small update every few months by copying an easy mod.

elyetis

It's a wrong affirmation, but even if it wasn't, there is a middle ground between 2-3 ppl and 100/200ppl ( peak for some games like assassin creed I think ? or is it even more ? ) working on a game.

That middle ground would allow... let's say the official modding API not to be delayed by 3 :fucking: years ( and still counting ).

MCN

Banned
Don't blame them though. They have the money. Why bother updating. Take it easy and release a small update every few months by copying an easy mod.

How many other games are still getting free updates after 5 years? This is a perfect example of what happens when you treat gamers too well. They start to complain if you don't keep up the pace forever and ever.

JohnGrimm

Using Wikipedia as a source? Really? If I had done that in high school I would have failed the assignment before the teacher even looked over it.

Top Bottom