• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB: 55 track variations explained

viveks86

Got this response from Rushy early this morning:

Ulh3N5J.png

This helps us breakdown the 55 tracks

There are 5 unique tracks per location: 2 Point to Point (P2P), 2 Road Circuits (RC) and 1 Race Track (RT)

There are 5 locations. So total unique tracks is 25

We have seen Point to Point and Road Circuits. We have not seen any race tracks. When I say "race track", I mean pro racing tracks like Silverstone. Rushy has confirmed that all racetracks are fictitious, but we have no idea what they look like. I expect to see some modern architecture around these tracks, unlike the rustic vibes from the countryside. Fingers crossed.

Now how does this add up to 55? Here's the breakdown

All P2P and RCs can be played backwards. So (2 P2P + 2 RC) * 5 Locations * 2 Directions = 40 variations

RTs CANNOT be raced backwards. Instead they offers 3 track variations per RT. These are different corners/routes. So 3 RT * 5 Locations = 15 variations

Total track variations = 40 + 15 = 55
Per Location = 55/5 = 11

So there you have it. Feel free to discuss anything around this subject, including if you think it's adequate or not. You can compare this with other games in the genre, if you are so inclined, but if you want to start comparing graphics, please go here

I hope one race track is based on the ring.

Would be a dream come true and cement this as the true successor to PGR it's shaping up to be.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Seems like that's not that many unique tracks/ribbons. By my count that's 25 assuming racetrack ribbons aren't significantly different, and 35 in the case that they are.

theWB27

That's cool for launch...as long as they have a nice pipeline for getting DLC out. Hope it's an each month type deal.

jaypah

Works for me. Shit, this game still seems so far away. Maybe enough time for whatever miracle I need to get DFGT support.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I don't have any frame of reference for how many tracks that is. Put it in Burnout Paradise or Motorstorm terms. Or DBZ terms. Are P2P tracks usually dramatically different in reverse? Those are the ones I'm more excited for. Dunno why, either.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What variations could a race track have if not backwards?
Example of Silverstone:

20734049.jpg

The number sounds a bit anemic for an arcade racer. Since people keep trying to compare this to PGR, PGR3 had multiple times that number. At least 3-4 times.

I don't have any frame of reference for how many tracks that is. Put it in Burnout Paradise or Motorstorm terms. Or DBZ terms. Are P2P tracks usually dramatically different in reverse? Those are the ones I'm more excited for. Dunno why, either.
P2P tracks usually are because of inclines.

Including reverse tracks is an interesting way to artificially boost the track count, I don't think I've seen devs do this before?

Afrikan

93132-nice-not-thrilling-but-nice-gi-YsMv.gif

well at least initially....but the more I think about it..

I mainly care about P2P....so that's about 10 P2P races..and these races are suppose to be pretty long.. one in fact, I believe, could take 5 mins.

so those tracks..then the fact that weather will make them look and feel different...and can play them backwards......that seems good for me.

then you add all those other tracks and I think that's a good amount...especially for the amount of detail that goes into these locations.

Would be a dream come true and cement this as the true successor to PGR it's shaping up to be.
I remember reading impressions that had the longest point to point being around 5 minutes long. That's still a good amount of road, but still less than half of the ring.

viveks86

What do you mean....like 1 new location and 5 tracks? If so that's fantastic. If it's each month.

That's highly unlikely. I remember their mentioning that it takes several man months to design 1 track. My guess would be a new location (5 unique/11 variations) every 3 months.

EDIT: On second thoughts, even that seems unlikely. DLC would probably not have 5 unique tracks per location, like the main game. Just a hunch.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

aside from alternative methods to score while racing, i dont see PGR in this much at all

I remember reading impressions that had the longest point to point being around 5 minutes long. That's still a good amount of road, but still less than half of the ring.

Yeah, I remember reading something along those lines in the weather thread. That's a very good starting point, but I do still hope they have some more epic ring inspired tracks in the game/in the works as DLC.

aside from alternative methods to score while racing, i dont see PGR in this much at all

I can see bits and pieces of PGR. The way the cars handle, the incredible attention to detail in locations, the weather. It all gives off very strong PGR vibes for me.

shandy706

I wonder if they have plans for customization in point to point?

Would be nice.

The game reminds me of PGR4. Didn't PGR4 have 10 locations and 100+ tracks/variations...it's been a long time since I played it.

DLC will probably roll in a lot.

theWB27

That's highly unlikely. I remember their mentioning that it takes several man months to design 1 track. My guess would be a new location (5 unique/11 variations) every 3 months.

EDIT: On second thoughts, even that seems unlikely. DLC would probably not have 5 unique tracks per location, like the main game. Just a hunch.

I can live with that. I mainly hope there's a nice pipeline. Since this will be a heavily updated game, I hope we won't be waiting for things...there'll be a schedule. Still can't wait to play this.

Rushy said that the longest track takes 5 minutes with the pedal down in the fastest car (which should be the Zonda R). But i'm not sure if that's a P2P race. He said that they tried longer tracks but they found that the racers tend to break up as the track gets longer.

Rushy said that the longest track takes 5 minutes with the pedal down in the fastest car (which should be the Zonda R). But i'm not sure if that's a P2P race. He said that they tried longer tracks but they found that the racers tend to break up as the track gets longer.
I don't see why racers getting separated is a bad thing, but that's just me. Even without another player directly next to you, racing against the track itself and avoiding even small mistakes is still exhilarating. And, that space is usually necessary to avoid bumper cars against both AI and other players online.

I think I also confused distance with time in my previous post. A hyper/supercar doing a 5 minute stint with the pedal to the metal probably means a strip of road 70% the size of the ring or more depending.

As far as point-to-point racing goes I just hope I can reset back to the start to race it again in the quickest possible time.

not in an F1 car............ nordschleife, believe!!!

I don't see why racers getting separated is a bad thing, but that's just me. Even without another player directly next to you, racing against the track itself and avoiding even small mistakes is still exhilarating. And, that space is usually necessary to avoid bumper cars against both AI and other players online.
Especially when you see their distant headlights in your rear view mirror, or their tail lights far off in the distance. That is one of the many great things about the ring, the track is long enough that you've got time to make up ground.

Navid

Great top hear, I'll always take more tracks over more cars if I have to choose... Also nice to hear that the Race Tracks have 3 variations rather than just a reverse mode.

I see quite a few people here want real life race tracks like Nurburgring, personally hope Evo just takes real tracks as an inspiration and just builds from there for their race track settings and layouts.

GameSeeker

That's a nice variety of tracks for launch. I'm sure Evolution has DLC tracks and cars planned for post-launch.

The DriveClub graphics engine is so good at modeling outdoor scenery that they have tremendous possibilities for new track locations beyond the original five.

benzy

Considering they already rendered these large environments, it'd be great if Evo gave us a course creator as DLC.

bombshell

The 5 min time for the longest P2P track was in the fastest car in DriveClub, so that would make the track longer than you say, more like 3/4 of the Ring.

Jachaos

I wonder if they have plans for customization in point to point?

Would be nice.

The game reminds me of PGR4. Didn't PGR4 have 10 locations and 100+ tracks/variations...it's been a long time since I played it.

DLC will probably roll in a lot.

It did. Not sure about a 100+ but I play it often and every location seems to have at least 10 variations.

So the 5 locations are Norway, Canada, India and what other 2 ?

Edit: Right, there's Scotland too. I can't remember the last one.
Edit 2: Google says Chile. Cool. If there's DLC, I want an urban European setting and Japan.

Motorstorm - 8 + 4 DLC
Pacific Rift - 16 + 6 DLC some with volcanic variations
Arctic Edge - 12
Apocalypse - 10 w/ multiple weather/destruction variations

The thing with the Motorstorm games was the tracks had so many different alternative routes for the massive variety of different vehicles.

You can race the same track 5 times & race a new route in ever one of them.

Top Bottom