• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB: 55 track variations explained

Dead Man

I'm actually kind of disappointed with that. Maybe I'm just being a picky cunt, but that seems not nearly enough to hold my interest for the long term.

nib95

Banned
I'm actually kind of disappointed with that. Maybe I'm just being a picky cunt, but that seems not nearly enough to hold my interest for the long term.

Don't forget each track and variation is given much greater diversity with full night to day and everything in between 'time of day' transitions, as well as dynamic weather, with rain (multiple variables of it), thunder and snow.

I hope one race track is based on the ring.

Would be a dream come true and cement this as the true successor to PGR it's shaping up to be.

Meh, the ring was nothing special in PGRs and it wouldn't be that great in DC. It doesn't lend itself well to arcadey games imo. The actual race tracks in PGR were the dullest races, the best being the tight tracks (in PGR2 especially, the best PGR).

drotahorror

Ya know, I never thought about this but has there been any mention of shortcuts? For me those are a big (but not necessary) part of arcade racers. I assume since this is a cross between sim-arcade then it may not be something they focused on.

Relativ9

Only 5 locations? I could have sworn they said there'd be a track in Norway, surely tiny little Norway can't be one of those 5 locations?

viveks86

Ya know, I never thought about this but has there been any mention of shortcuts? For me those are a big (but not necessary) part of arcade racers. I assume since this is a cross between sim-arcade then it may not be something they focused on.

None of the tracks shown so far seem to have them. Will find out.

Jimrpg

So whats the difference between Racing Track and Racing Circuit then? They sound like the same thing to me.

Track count and locations is the most important thing to me. I don't really care about all the different cars I can use. I'm more interested on where I'm racing.

I love the countries announced as it definitely feels like something new and untried before. Breaking down the tracks like that it seems a little bare bones, especially if you want to race P2P only or RCs only. Also a little disappointed that the P2P are only 5 mins, but I assume the longer the track the quality of the graphics will probably take a hit so I can somewhat understand their decision even if I don't agree.

PGR2 still has the best locations/track count (Sydney! Hong Kong! Barcelona! Stockholm!) and I assume in this day and age with DLC it will NEVER be topped, PGR4 had a pretty good track list marred by the fact that there were 5 new locations only and 5 repeats.

EDIT: RC is actually Road Circuit which makes a lot more sense. At least this way we can get some extra long races if they let us bump up the number of laps. Should be fixed in the OP.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That's actually more than I expected.

Coupled with complete freedom in time of day and tons of weather options, there's plenty of variation.

Seanspeed

Banned
Please read the OP and the sources provided. There are 3 kinds of tracks in their nomenclature
1) Point to point - Cayoosh is an example
2) Road circuits - Oliver's Landing (probably what you sampled pre-PS4 launch)
3) Race tracks - Unknown. Rushy gave Silverstone as an example (though the ones in the game are fictitious). He also specifically mentioned that we haven't seen any of them. These are traditional pro racing courses with chicanes (and possibly grand stands)

EDIT: Corrected (2) since the original nomenclature is Road Circuits, not Racing Circuits
Oh ok. That's pretty cool, then.

kyser73

When the weather DLC hits there are going to be a great many more 'variations' on these tracks, so I think it's a pretty good number to be going on with.

yurinka

Don't forget each track and variation is given much greater diversity with full night to day and everything in between 'time of day' transitions, as well as dynamic weather, with rain (multiple variables of it), thunder and snow.
In addition to this, I think they already confirmed that there will be a nice amount of DLC. Which I assume part of it will be free and it can include new variations for existing tracks such as mirror mode, and reverse version of Race Tracks. Or even completely new locations.

In any case, I think it's a good amount

Dead Man

Yeah, not sure how much I would qualify weather and time changes as extra locations, but yeah, I get your point. I will certainly not be avoiding the game because of this, I just hoped for more.

Navid

Ya know, I never thought about this but has there been any mention of shortcuts?
Personally hope there are no shortcuts since they simply tend to become the default route when all is said and done... Multiple paths or a fork in the road where neither route gives a significant advantage would be nice addition as it would split up the pack at points and potentially allow someone to pass the people in front (if they are faster) by the time they rejoin.

Ajax35

Banned
25 tracks is plenty for me. I remember practicing the various tracks in Motorstorm over and over again until I had every inch memorized. (When you lack skill, you have to rely that much more on repetition).

I think that's also why I loathe mirror mode. When everything is backwards, I feel like I'm driving left-handed.

p3tran

Banned
We have actually seen a racetrack. From videos and its also what I played on, pre-PS4 launch.

EDIT: And no, it wont be real racetracks obviously. They just mean 'circuits', where you can do multiple laps of.

hope you are wrong on that, Sean
racetracks according to what I understand will be like fictional race tracks. what you describe I think its the ..road cirquits?

anyway, I want this game to play really-really well, so well that I will bug them for more tracks :D
if it does not play very well, if it has 20 tracks or 200, bottom line no big difference for me.

only 5 locations is a bit disappointing, i'd rather have les track variations but more locations.
everybody would, but as you understand its 1000x easier to sculpture a track in an existing environment than to create a whole new environment and a new track on top of it.

5 locations seems a bit low, only because they where announced back then, before even launch. with the extra time, I thought maybe they had time to add one more, but probably they need to dlc it.

if the tracks are interesting and the game plays well, I think with the (sure for me) dlc locations and the tod variation it will be more than alright.

Yeah and also add some weaponry.

Err no.

No shortcuts, please.

Seanspeed

Banned
racetracks according to what I understand will be like fictional race tracks. what you describe I think its the ..road cirquits?

anyway, I want this game to play really-really well, so well that I will bug them for more tracks :D
if it does not play very well, if it has 20 tracks or 200, bottom line no big difference for me.
Yea, I was wrong about that. Couple people corrected me.

I think I'm just used to real motorsports where a 'road circuit' applies to any race track that loops and is not an oval. Here with Driveclub, the term is being applied more literally.

terrier

everybody would, but as you understand its 1000x easier to sculpture a track in an existing environment than to create a whole new environment and a new track on top of it.

5 locations seems a bit low, only because they where announced back then, before even launch. with the extra time, I thought maybe they had time to add one more, but probably they need to dlc it.

if the tracks are interesting and the game plays well, I think with the (sure for me) dlc locations and the tod variation it will be more than alright.

i understand it, and with weather and day/night variations it will help to feel fresh for a while. But 5 is a bit low as you said. Especially if some locations look similar to others. We will see. I'd love to see some semi urban locations,too , or at least some tracks going through small towns.

Ricky_R

Isn't 5 locations a bit low? For comparison... How many locations Pacific Rift had?

That means that regardless of the amount of tracks, change of scenery will be limited to five? Or will they be creative with the tracks and try to make them as unique as possible so it doesn't feel like you're just racing the same track, but shorter or longer, over and over again?

Sorry if this has been answered already.

Isn't 5 locations a bit low? For comparison... How many locations Pacific Rift had?

That means that regardless of the amount of tracks, change of scenery will be limited to five? Or will they be creative with the tracks and try to make them as unique as possible so it doesn't feel like you're just racing the same track, but shorter or longer, over and over again?

Sorry if this has been answered already.

It's pretty subjective opinion how different tracks look, but if you go here

http://driveclub.eu.playstation.com/en_GB/1080p#

In the most recent footage there's a track in Canada and Chile, and older footage from around E3 last year also of Canada and Chile.

Gothos

So what's the difference between Road Circuit and Point-to-Point? I assume Road Circuit is typical lap race that takes place on public roads - is that right?

arhra

I think I'm just used to real motorsports where a 'road circuit' applies to any race track that loops and is not an oval. Here with Driveclub, the term is being applied more literally.

That's actually fairly standard usage outside of North America. Ask any European motorsports fan and they'd almost certainly define a road circuit as being a temporary circuit using closed-off public roads. A race track is just a race track, with ovals being the weird ones that need to be called out with specific terminology.

Marlenus

That's actually fairly standard usage outside of North America. Ask any European motorsports fan and they'd almost certainly define a road circuit as being a temporary circuit using closed-off public roads. A race track is just a race track, with ovals being the weird ones that need to be called out with specific terminology.

Exactly this.

Road Circuit to me means something like Monaco, Singapore, Melbourne etc.
Race Track is a purpose built track like Silverstone, Spa, Suzuka etc.
Ovals are just Race Tracks to be honest, only reason you might specifically call it out is if there are different configurations at the circuit so you are clearly stating which configuration you are talking about.

Are there any racing wheels I can buy for the PS4 and which one is the best?
Thrustmaster wheels
T500- out now ~$600
T300- out this year ~$400

T500 comes with better pedals, but if you dont plan on using a clutch or shifter the T300 is fine.

The T80 has no FFB so its not recommended but its $100

Top Bottom