• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB: 55 track variations explained

Synth

The number sounds a bit anemic for an arcade racer. Since people keep trying to compare this to PGR, PGR3 had multiple times that number. At least 3-4 times.

Comparing virtually any racer to PGR for track count is a little unfair. Those games had cities modelled, with tracks then created by blocking sections off. It's pretty much impossible to match its course count without going down a similar path.

Aaaah reverse mode .. I remember playing 'Mirror Mode' for the first time...

daytona_usa_championship_circuit_edition.jpg

Thank you DC ... pre-ordered

Just need to mention that this game was a disgrace to the Daytona USA name.

Considering they already rendered these large environments, it'd be great if Evo gave us a course creator as DLC.

The illusion of detail would probably break down once you move even slightly away from the track.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Comparing virtually any racer to PGR for track count is a little unfair. Those games had cities modelled, with tracks then created by blocking sections off. It's pretty much impossible to match its course count without going down a similar path.
Not a path that's out of the question or for some reason not applicable to Driveclub either, though. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages of creating these sorts of tunnels of experience. Most notably, you get more content in the form of tracks from sharing assets, and the sharing of assets also sort of makes you feel like you're racing in the same place.

I guess dynamic lighting in Driveclub makes it a bit more understandable.

That's highly unlikely. I remember their mentioning that it takes several man months to design 1 track. My guess would be a new location (5 unique/11 variations) every 3 months.

EDIT: On second thoughts, even that seems unlikely. DLC would probably not have 5 unique tracks per location, like the main game. Just a hunch.
There will probably be many tracks on the go at once, though.

I mean IW said a COD map takes 6 months to produce from start to finish, and they pump 4 of those out every 2-3 months.

coldcrush

Neo Member
also worth mentioning, the day / night and weather variations will make each individual track feel and look different depending on the time of day and atmospheric conditions, rain at night versus sunny day etc and all the other combos I feel will add variety.

Gestault

25 distinct courses is pretty excellent. When I heard 5 regions, I was nervous that it could signal some "creative" labeling to hide a more limited variety.

Synth

Not a path that's out of the question or for some reason not applicable to Driveclub either, though. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages of creating these sorts of tunnels of experience. Most notably, you get more content in the form of tracks from sharing assets, and the sharing of assets also sort of makes you feel like you're racing in the same place.

I guess dynamic lighting in Driveclub makes it a bit more understandable.

It's a very different kind of racing experience though imo. PGR games were full of right angle corners and U-turns as a result of being built around a city layouts. The types of tracks we've been seeing in Driveclub were basically non-existent in PGR outside of Nurburgring. You end up with a rather different game in the end.

It's actually one of the main reasons why I don't think the game can offer that close of a PGR-like experience. Where PGR/MSR were set was equally important to its graphics or handling, and more important than weather (which didn't exist in any other than PGR4).

25 distinct courses is pretty excellent. When I heard 5 regions, I was nervous that it could signal some "creative" labeling to hide a more limited variety.
Yea.. after the whole GT5 "variations" fiasco, I take track lists with a grain of salt.
25 is a solid number.

Xun

I hope one race track is based on the ring.

Would be a dream come true and cement this as the true successor to PGR it's shaping up to be.
Maybe in terms of how it plays, but in lacking cities I struggle to regard it as a successor.

Hopefully in Driveclub 2... :(

drotahorror

I just can't wait for this game. Evolution Studios does no wrong.

Was hoping there'd be a few more point to point tracks but I'm sure this'll be fine.

Ridge Racer?

Close, but no cigar.

Heh, took me a while. I'm assuming that's just a lighthearted/non-serious jab.

Horizon 2
, right?

Edit: Actually I have no clue, haha.

Yup. Wouldn't be a DC thread without at least one mention of the other racer.

Maybe in terms of how it plays, but in lacking cities I struggle to regard it as a successor.

Hopefully in Driveclub 2... :(

There's always DLC. That's my hope at least. Some DLC based in Monte Carlo, London, New York, Japan.

Do it, Evo.

25 tracks sounds like a good number actually. Then 30 more variants that will change the dynamics a bit, and of course each race will be completely customizable with time of day and weather.

eso76

Doubt professional racetracks means something unique looking. Likely just more technical tracks carved out of the same landscapes.
Either way, 55 sounds very good to me with p2p being 5' long drives.

I wonder if they have plans for customization in point to point?

Would be nice.

The game reminds me of PGR4. Didn't PGR4 have 10 locations and 100+ tracks/variations...it's been a long time since I played it.

DLC will probably roll in a lot.

Yeah, PGR4 had over 102 tracks.
The original MSR on Dreamcast had like close to 200+ tracks in the game, if I remember correctly.

None of them counted reverse tracks as part the total.

HokieJoe

I hope one race track is based on the ring.

Would be a dream come true and cement this as the true successor to PGR it's shaping up to be.

A huge element of the PGR magic was basing tracks in various cities throughout the world- not fictitious locations. Not to say that creative license wasn't taken with the routes in PGR, but still. That was aspect of the PGR series was huge appeal for me. Game progression was the other biggie IMO.

nib95

Banned
25 distinct courses is actually fairly solid. Obviously more is better than less, but that should still offer a good degree of variety and hopefully diversity.

That's a good number. I will be excited for DLC, but I do hope racetracks are either priced fairly, or even free (leaving cars and whatever else for monetization). I wouldn't want the online community to be so fractured.

Does anyone know anything about single player? What kind of modes are there for single player?

So, with 25 unique tracks, we also have weather to add on top of that. Can't wait to experience that

Seanspeed

Banned
We have actually seen a racetrack. From videos and its also what I played on, pre-PS4 launch.

EDIT: And no, it wont be real racetracks obviously. They just mean 'circuits', where you can do multiple laps of.

GD71

Banned
Including reverse tracks is an interesting way to artificially boost the track count, I don't think I've seen devs do this before?

Is this weird gaf humor again? Reverse tracks have been in games for decades. Only reverse real world tracks have been omitted for licensing reasons.

viveks86

We have actually seen a racetrack. From videos and its also what I played on, pre-PS4 launch.

EDIT: And no, it wont be real racetracks obviously. They just mean 'circuits', where you can do multiple laps of.

Please read the OP and the sources provided. There are 3 kinds of tracks in their nomenclature
1) Point to point - Cayoosh is an example
2) Road circuits - Oliver's Landing (probably what you sampled pre-PS4 launch)
3) Race tracks - Unknown. Rushy gave Silverstone as an example (though the ones in the game are fictitious). He also specifically mentioned that we haven't seen any of them. These are traditional pro racing courses with chicanes (and possibly grand stands)

EDIT: Corrected (2) since the original nomenclature is Road Circuits, not Racing Circuits

Synth

Is this weird gaf humor again? Reverse tracks have been in games for decades. Only reverse real world tracks have been omitted for licensing reasons.

Actually, although reversed and mirrored tracks have been around forever, they're not generally used as the games general track count. Forza 5 had (and advertised as having) 15 tracks, now 18 due to DLC. If you started adding all the different variations then the track count jumps to a far more impressive number.

benzy

It's a very different kind of racing experience though imo. PGR games were full of right angle corners and U-turns as a result of being built around a city layouts. The types of tracks we've been seeing in Driveclub were basically non-existent in PGR outside of Nurburgring. You end up with a rather different game in the end.

It's actually one of the main reasons why I don't think the game can offer that close of a PGR-like experience. Where PGR/MSR were set was equally important to its graphics or handling, and more important than weather (which didn't exist in any other than PGR4).

PGR1 and PGR2 both had weather. Heavy rain, light rain, wet, fog, just no snow.

The number sounds a bit anemic for an arcade racer. Since people keep trying to compare this to PGR, PGR3 had multiple times that number. At least 3-4 times.

Is this true? According to this: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Gotham_Racing_3 , PGR3
seems to have 60 tracks, but I can't say if the number include the variation as the 55 of DC or if it's more like the 25 base tracks di DC. In any case, I don't think it makes sound the number of tracks in DC anemic...

Gestault

PGR/MSR take place in several cities. A road is blocked, a corner or two are changed, and bam, you got a totally new "unique" track.

By the same token, you can have two (or more) tracks that barely overlap built within that one city. My guess is that's some of the structure we'll see with the 5 regions for DC. I'd call that a good thing.

jett

D-Member
By the same token, you can have two (or more) tracks that barely overlap built within that one city. My guess is that's some of the structure we'll see with the 5 regions for DC. I'd call that a good thing.

That's entirely possible, we've yet to see how much overlap there is between tracks in a particular region.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Upon reviewing track counts of some other games I got bored of, I retract my previous statement about it being anemic, I think 25 is just acceptable. 10-15 ends up being a bit struggle, especially when the games try to create some variety with only a few tracks to work with.

I also agree with you that it's a bit of a different experience they're going for (which is also reflected in their selection of vehicles). I just don't want Forza-esque situations where you want to kill yourself because OH ITS ROAD AMERICA AGAIN, JUST MORE LAPS THIS TIME.

benzy

I also agree with you that it's a bit of a different experience they're going for (which is also reflected in their selection of vehicles). I just don't want Forza-esque situations where you want to kill yourself because OH ITS ROAD AMERICA AGAIN, JUST MORE LAPS THIS TIME.

That's my main problem with Forza as well. I dont think we'll have to worry about that with Driveclub considering the full day to night system, along with a completely realistic dynamic weather system from light drizzle to full blizzards, should add quite a bit of variety to the tracks, even if there aren't a huge amount of varied courses.

I don't have any frame of reference for how many tracks that is. Put it in Burnout Paradise or Motorstorm terms. Or DBZ terms. Are P2P tracks usually dramatically different in reverse? Those are the ones I'm more excited for. Dunno why, either.
Motorstorm had 3-4 routes that get you to the same end throughout the map

Top Bottom