• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XI: Where 90% correct equals 100% wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

R0ckman

djNxaaB.jpg

Please join us, for you must walk in the valley of monsters to define a monster.

R0ckman

Us?

Anyway:
3- Dark Samus
3- Waluigi
2- Chibi Robo
2- Chorus Kids
2- Pikmin Trio

True that could be argued, there are lower levels in the valley. But the location is the same regardless. Maybe you're so deep in the darker levels you can't even tell that you're in anymore.

Forkball

Just beat The Mystery of Murasame Castle. FUN GAME. It's such a shame Takamaru isn't in Smash, he has so much potential. In his game alone he can...

Deflect shurikens
Throw fireballs
Throw knives
Throw windmill swords (ala his AT picture)
Throw all of them THREE AT A TIME
Can throw things in four directions at the same time
Clear an entire area with a lightning blast
Turn invisible

His enemies also throw bombs that spray in multiple directions, he could steal that from them. An interesting aspect of the game is the powerup tradeoff. The windmill swords have longer range, but the fireball have more power. You can only have one of them at a time, so you have to think about which tradeoff you want to make. Ironically, Takamaru rarely uses his sword. It is sheathed unless he is right next to an enemy. There is a great samurai enemy that has his sword drawn, and you can't attack him via projectile. When you move in close, he will raise his sword to attack. This is the time to STRIKE. Mess up the timing, and he'll hit you. Get it right, and it's like in a samurai movie where you defeat him with one stroke in a split second.

Takamaru had so much potential. I really want to see what new characters we have that will top him. I'm betting on NONE.

One day...

emb

Here is the list of reveal dates.
I wanted to put this into a chart somehow, this is the best I came up with:

uwtbBWf.png

It's kinda useless though, since with Smash 4 there's a new trend of showing several characters all at once. (And with Brawl and maybe Melee, revealed characters didn't get shown on the site for a while.)

Drago

1 pt - Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan
2 pt - Chibi-Robo
4 pt - Snake
5 pt - King K. Rool

I guess? There's a lot of characters here I'd love to have in the game but I'd be really happy with the choices I made

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Huh, just realized in that Final Destination picture, you see two planets seemingly about to crash into one another...I love how Sakurai throws in little background details like that that hint at a larger plot like how Smash 64 did it.

Also, the other week when Takamaru was revealed and Murasame Castle finally came to the VC, I wondered if that meant he's going to appear in Hyrule Warriors as a Guest Character and they wanted to reacquaint people with him.

Now I wonder if since Prince Sable's game worked off the LA Engine, and Richard already appeared in a Zelda game, if the reveal of this trophy coincides with Sable being revealed as a Guest Character in Hyrule Warriors.

Tripon

Ah I see.

Yeah, here it is. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=122375761&postcount=18655

Here's a crazy thought you two; how many real-life villains do you know that play Smash bros and wish they had more characters they could identify with? Now how many female players do you think have been excited to see some non-princess female characters they can play? I think the ratio is heavily in favour of the second group, don't you think? :p

I don't really mind people wanting K.Rool in, even if i think the character's design is awful but the minute people say he should be in over Dixie Kong for reasons of 'diversity' I feel myself bubbling up in incandescent rage.

What diversity? We already have several non-human male characters and bowser is freakishly close to K.Rool in straight up 'monster man' aesthetics. How many non-human female characters can you name in smash outside of maybe, possibly, jigglypuff? (who we all just assume is female because the game doesn't really clarify it) I'll give you a clue, the number is less than 1.
Moveset possibilities? Yeah, a huge prehensile ponytail that she can even turn into a whirling helicopter blade to fly and bubblegum guns. No possible creative playground there to make a moveset out of compared to a fat croc with a blunderbuss.

Support K.Rool all you want, that's fine and dandy, but don't give me this 'diversity' nonsense when comparing to Dixie.
We've gone 3 games with utterly lacking female representation so now we're finally getting some decent choice I want my goddamn icecream :p

6ySKnCi.gif

Watch Da Birdie

You know Birdo would count as Freezie-KO pointed out in that thread, and I'd be fucking down for Birdo. Birdo rocks. If Birdo got in I'd changed my name to "Watch Da Birdo".

I don't get why Finest Hour got so worked up. Asking for more female characters is hardly what I'd call arbitrarily demanding representation...I think the only issue with that is most of Nintendo's female roster tend to be princesses, or basically female copies of their male counterparts, but that's Nintendo's fault for not having a wider stable of good female characters. Still they've got Barbara Bat, Bubbles, and Jill off the top of my head who would provide new gameplay and character-archetypes. And if they bring back Mewtwo it might be the new female version as well.

Kyzon

My unlikely prediction for sometime this week:

Streetpass explanation

Maybe not, though. Seems like the kind of thing he'd save for a direct.

My current guess, based on what we know, is that it'll be like KI:U, but you share equipment rather than a weapon. It might also share your global smash power.

Edit:

Also, I wonder if Prince Sable is a '3ds-only' assist trophy. Sakurai did say «The 3DS version will have roughly the same types of Assist Trophies and Pokémon. Just roughly...» 18.Apr.2014

I think street pass will share your trained character. It makes too much sense for it not to, and Nintendo's kinda done it with Link Between Worlds. You share your stats and current items as a Shadow Link with Street Pass there.

Posted this last night and have already gotten a lot of responses; votes have really been all over the place and for unexpected characters. Thought I'd repost for those not awake for the POTD. Promise I'll refrain from posting about this everyday, don't want to spam!

I mentioned this a few pages back, but due to uncontrollable levels of hype, I decided to put this together:

hmwmex.png

With us approaching the Japanese release date for the 3DS version, I thought it be fun to see how SmashGAF's character opinions add up when gathered together. Basically, the idea is you choose your favorite character from past Smash Bros. games and your most wanted character yet to be added to Smash (this includes newcomers who have already been announced, as we don't know every newcomer yet and may not until launch). Then, once we have only 20 POTD's left (two weeks from tomorrow), I'll countdown the top 20 choices every weeknight until launch. I also have a section in the questionnaire that lets you write a quote as to why you love these characters so much that I'll include in the countdown (though you can just vote if you want).

I wasn't sure what to do with transformation characters / clones that are same character, so I've kept Sheik/Zelda and Samus/Zero Suit Samus as one choice, while also keeping Mario/Dr. Mario and Link/Toon Link/Young Link as one slot on the poll. If you vote for one of them and really only favor one variant of the character, put it in your quote on why you like the character! Please understand.

So, hopefully we can get enough people to vote to make this worthwhile. If not, no worries, but I love a good countdown and would love to see who SmashGAF's favorite character really is.

Hope to see a lot of you voting!
QUOTE THIS POST TO GET A LINK TO THE QUESTIONNAIRE.

Hatchtag

Banned
What are these dates based on? A handful of the new Melee characters were shown at the initial E3 trailer.

Day they got a profile on the site. A lot of the Brawl and Melee characters were revealed at their respective E3s before that.

Here's a list where I cut out all characters revealed at E3 or after the game came out:

Super Smash Bros. Melee
-E3 TRAILER CHARACTERS-
Sheik - Oct 30, 2001
Zelda - Nov 16, 2001
(The above two were in E3 trailers, but Zelda and Sheik probably required some clarification.)
Luigi - Nov 27, 2001
(Game releases)

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
-E3 AND SPACE WORLD CHARACTERS-
Samus - June 15, 2007 (needed some clarification, wasn't officially revealed as a character despite appearing before turning into ZSS in the E3 trailer)
Zelda - June 25, 2007
Bowser - July 3, 2007
Donkey Kong - July 10, 2007 (revealed earlier in the day at E3)
Yoshi - July 24, 2007
Ike - Aug 1, 2007
Pokemon Trainer - Aug 13, 2007
Peach - Aug 17, 2007
Diddy Kong - Aug 22, 2007
Ice Climbers - Sept 14, 2007
Lucas - Oct 1, 2007
Sonic - Oct 10, 2007
King Dedede - Oct 25, 2007
Pikmin & Olimar - Jan 9, 2008
Sheik - Jan 16, 2008
(Game released in Japan)

Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS
-E3 CHARACTERS-
Pikmin & Olimar - July 12, 2013
Luigi - Aug 7, 2013
Peach - Sept 12, 2013
Toon Link - Sept 26, 2013
Sonic - Oct 1, 2013
Marth - Nov 7, 2013
Rosalina & Luma - Dec 18, 2013
Zelda - Dec 26, 2013
King Dedede - Jan 10, 2014
Lucario - Jan 31, 2014
Little Mac - Feb 13, 2014
Diddy Kong - Feb 21, 2014
Zero Suit Samus - April 8, 2014
Sheik - April 8, 2014
Yoshi - April 8, 2014
Charizard - April 8, 2014
Greninja - April 8, 2014
Ike - May 23, 2014
Mii Fighter - June 10, 2014
Palutena - June 10, 2014
Pac Man - June 10, 2014
Lucina - July 14, 2014
Captain Falcon - July 14, 2014
Robin - July 14, 2014

If Game & Watch is playable (there's no chance in hell he won't be, especially since he was redesigned to take outlines into consideration), he'll be the only character in Smash 4 that didn't get a profile on the site the same day he was revealed.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
What are these dates based on? A handful of the new Melee characters were shown at the initial E3 trailer.

Based on website updates.

My point is that Melee and Brawl have character update per two weeks to three weeks to keep the pace constantly steady. However with Brawl, it got hit pretty bad due to the delay. Smash4 is pretty much monthly or so.

Watch Da Birdie

Hello, 4chan. This is it.

I am working on Super Smash Brothers for the Nintendo 3DS, but Wii U is being worked on in the same office so I know about it, too.

Newcomers:
K. Rool – not specified as king or captain, he can be dressed as either
Ganon – big blue pigmonster, uses trident
Ridley – looks like Brawl form
Impa – heavier Sheik
Duck Hunt Dog – uses ducks, zapper, and clay pigeons for moves/recovery, taunt is as you expect
Dixie Kong – heavier than Diddy
Maxwell – attacks with very random objects, Down Special changes the Adjective attached to his objects, Final Smash is Cthulhu
Captain Rainbow – calls upon retro characters to fight with him

Other M Ridley is an event that can be triggered on Pyrosphere. If someone presses certain buttons on the Gamepad controller, M Ridley appears and can be played. If nobody presses anything, he will not show up whatsoever. He has the same moves as Ridley, but is much larger and more powerful. M Ridley is the only boss that works in this way, and is more of an easter egg than a game mechanic.

Cuts: only Snake has been cut from Brawl

Mii characters each take up one separate roster slot

No Mewtwo in this game, but Namco isn’t done working on Smash after this. In fact, they’re increasing their team because they plan on releasing Pokémon SMASH by 2017 (execs tell us 2016, but nobody believes them). Expect to see Mewtwo return then.

There will be DLC for SSB4, however it will all be amiibo-related. No new characters/items/stages/etc. You can bet that Pokémon SMASH will have their own set of amiibo. Count on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom