• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, I just got a ps4. What do I need?

ryanofcall

You need a lot of patience and another home console which already has some worthy games
(basically Wii U or last Gen)
joke aside: there's not much stuff yet, mine's mostly collecting dust - like every home console in the first year, let's just wait and see :)

Infamous: SS is the only thing I'd say is the only thing missing from your list. I mean you also bought a couple of games that are honestly not very good but I hope you enjoy them at least. There aren't a large number of "must plays" currently. Wolfenstein is the best game you bought.

scoobs

If you're buying just PS4 exclusives / console exclusives here is how this list you posted looks:
  • Infamous (isn't a must buy)
  • TLOU remaster (if you want it)
  • Destiny (if you want it on PS4)
That list makes perfect sense.
Interestingly enough, you can buy both exclusives and 3rd party games on the PS4. Today I learned....

Interestingly enough, you can buy both exclusives and 3rd party games on the PS4. Today I learned....
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? TIL

jk jk. The person you quoted was speaking about exclusives though. Outside of (debatably) Resogun and (debatably) inFamous, there isn't much out.

scoobs

If Resogun is free I'd recommend DL'ing that just cuz its fun for an hour or so, but if its not I honestly can't say I recommend it.... its really not that great IMO.

Oddworld: New'n'Tasty
Watch_dogs
Infamous:Second Son

Do it. Oh and Destiny and The last of us are just around the corner. Great timing OP.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, OP: I got one last week and I already had all my PS4 Plus games, ACIV from a digital upgrade last year. I bought Wolfenstein last week and Injustice+Lego Marvel this week on sale.

Wolfenstein, Resogun and AC are getting most of the play time here. I feel Resogun is this gen's Geometry Wars and Wolfenstein is just awesome.

At this point, I'm not actively looking to buy more games. I don't have much interest in KZ and Knack in particular. And I'm not too sure about Infamous. I kind of solved the Infamous equation by preordering First Light. I figure that it will fill the tech demo role for cheaper than the main game and will allow me to see if I want to get the main game.

As for that second controller, we'll probably use it with Towerfall and Lego but the game I'm most looking forward to using it with is Minecraft. Coop was a life sucking experience on 360 for us.

I still have to check Transistor but TBH, at this point, I feel like we already have 3 months worth of gaming.

Edit: I'm also trying to refrain from buying anything until the August IGC games are announced.

Bundy

Banned
What games show off this bad boy? I got asscreed 4, killzone shadowfall and wolfenstein for $76 today at the target sale, and bought knack, injustice, and lego marvel. I got the ps4 camera and an extra controller. What games best show what the console is capable of? What are the best split screen games? Any awesome psn games I should look out for?(I already own all the ones that were through ps plus).

inFAMOUS: Second Son

1BpMnZD1.gif.pagespeed.ce.ERrb6__4J_.gif

275372i3D02016E2079AEB3
infamous-second-son-neon-jump.gif

DO IT, NOW! ^_^

And next week, the best game ever (for me ^_^) ------> THE LAST OF US: Remastered

did i say i don't have friends or family?

sheesh...

speaking of which;

did my cousin the favour of turning off his "game mode" on his fancy-ass-huge-ass-samsung-ass-tv-thing while playing Infamous - couldn't believe he didn't notice how horrible the game looked prior to that.

[stretching out 1080p's worth of pixels over 50+ inches of real estate really doesn't do it favours either, but i digress...]

Ok I see. Speaking about the game mode thing, it probably looked horrible because he didn't adjust his settings. The settings go to a different default than whatever is set up for just watching TV.

Vorheez

Please do yourself a favor and buy Don't Starve, if you don't already have it on PC. Its the most addicting game I've played in recent memory and is loaded with charm and personality. The new Reign of Giants DLC just came out Tuesday as well and its fantastic, it will give you dozens of hours of entertainment for only a couple bucks.

Izayoi

Banned
It's an import, I think.

Seems that only the MadCatz and Energizer ones are available in the US... Fucking stupid.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
FFXIV.

Say goodbye to your life.

stevil

swiffer.jpg

I really liked AC4, good looking game.
Killzone for multiplayer fun
I had fun with FF XIV if that is your cup of tea
Rayman
Lego Marvel for two player fun
MGS V
Watch_dogs or Second Son

although I did like Tomb Raider I don't think you should pay more than 30 $/€ for it
Injustice: Gods Among Us if it is 15 €/$

PS Vita (because it's a nice system ;)

Resogun
Trine
Fez

Murdoch

+1 on the official charger

Superb piece of kit and it free's up an all important front facing USB. (My ONLY knock on the PS4's design is the lack of rear facing USB's, its borderline criminal!)

What're some good couch co-op games on the PS4 that're out right now? Was really ready to pick one up yesterday, but none of the current disc based games out there interest me.

dock

Today I won a PS4, so this thread is relevant to me! :D
It won't show up for a few weeks, but it's good to start thinking about games.

I wonder whether it's worth the £80 for the PS4 charge cradle and extra controller. I only really enjoy Towerfall with 3-4 players, but I'm not currently playing enough multiplayer to justify this. o_o

dock

You most deffo need another controller and a charging dock. Battery life on DS4 is awful.
Perhaps a second controller and charging dock would serve me better for the time being, and focusing on all the PS4 games I have stacked up from PSN.

It's a shame the Lego Hobbit game is supposed to be a bit lacklustre. My GF enjoys the Hobbit movies. I wonder whether they'll do a GOTY edition with all three movies included, rather than relying on DLC for the third film.

Thought this thread would be about hardware. My PS4 order included:

-Gold headset
-charging dock
-extra controller
-2TB hard drive

But as far as games, I'd get Resogun and then Diablo 3 next month.

SerTapTap

Check your Library on PS4 to see if you have any Cross Buy PS3/Vita games you didn't know about. Flower looks beautiful on PS4, well worth a second look. Really goes to show 720pvs1080p matters IMO, was not expecting it to look that much better.

RE Controller battery life, leave one controller plugged in while the PS4's in standby and have one second controller ready to go, I've never been *completely* out of battery by doing that. Or just get a long microUSB if you can stand playing wired. The 7 hours is a bit lame, but unlike Wii U's gamepad it's rarely interrupted a gaming session significantly.

Gold headset is a great get for $70 btw. Mic is servicable at best, but invisible. Sound quality is pretty solid and the 5.1 is great. If I had a proper 7.1/5.1 with real speakers I'd consider it less worth it though.

Shady859

Welcome to the club OP! Glad to see you already had PS+ and were redeeming free PS4 games from the Sony site. I came to recommend Resogun. Easily my 3rd most played game on the console behind BF and CoD. I'm a big fan of shumps in general and this scratches that itch. Resoguns DLC is worth every penny as well and totally changes the game in a great way.

Edit: I so need one of those charge stands.

Slixshot

Banned
What games show off this bad boy? I got asscreed 4, killzone shadowfall and wolfenstein for $76 today at the target sale, and bought knack, injustice, and lego marvel. I got the ps4 camera and an extra controller. What games best show what the console is capable of? What are the best split screen games? Any awesome psn games I should look out for?(I already own all the ones that were through ps plus).

inFamous Second Son from retail
Transistor from Digital. Transistor is amazing.
If you don't already have it, get PS+.

EGOMON

Everyone recommended the must have so i just wanna say congratz OP and enjoy ^_^
Edit: Don't Starve is an amazing game been playing it since launch i very highly recommend it

manfestival

I managed to get hooked on warframe thanks to my ps4. I now play it both on pc and ps4(dont ask) but mostly on ps4

I dont have ps+

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, OP: I got one last week and I already had all my PS4 Plus games, ACIV from a digital upgrade last year. I bought Wolfenstein last week and Injustice+Lego Marvel this week on sale.

Wolfenstein, Resogun and AC are getting most of the play time here. I feel Resogun is this gen's Geometry Wars and Wolfenstein is just awesome.

At this point, I'm not actively looking to buy more games. I don't have much interest in KZ and Knack in particular. And I'm not too sure about Infamous. I kind of solved the Infamous equation by preordering First Light. I figure that it will fill the tech demo role for cheaper than the main game and will allow me to see if I want to get the main game.

As for that second controller, we'll probably use it with Towerfall and Lego but the game I'm most looking forward to using it with is Minecraft. Coop was a life sucking experience on 360 for us.

I still have to check Transistor but TBH, at this point, I feel like we already have 3 months worth of gaming.

Edit: I'm also trying to refrain from buying anything until the August IGC games are announced.

Just a point about First Light, only one of the powers is there. The 2 most OP are missing.

The only thing I'd say you actually 'need' is a subscription to PS+, if you haven't already got one, and maybe another controller. Aside from that, get what you want.

There aren't really any 'must have' games yet.

TCRS

Banned
I got mine today as well. First impressions:

- controller feels nice and solid, buttons also feel great. so much better than that tiny DS3.
- that light bar on the controller is annoying
- console is kind of loud
- menu has nice music but is a bit complicated
- headset probably costs 50p, it's so cheap. I've already ordered a proper one.

I have only played Destiny on it so far and it looks great. my BF4 copy arrives tomorrow. that's all I need, all other games are optional.

Top Bottom