• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS3/PS4) | August 2014

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Not really. It's a "roguelike", but not a "Metroidvania". That term implies certain exploration aspects that are not present in Rogue Legacy. You don't get new abilities that allow you to progress further into the dungeon/level, as you do in a Metroid game. You can tackle any are of the castle as soon as you want and the only limit you have is your own skill as a player.

It's actually much more similar to Spelunky than to Metroid/Castlevania. Get a randomly generated map, die, repeat. You do get to choose one from among your descendants each new run, though.

I should have been clearer saying that's not a pure metroidvania but a roguelike with a open map, i agree on the lack of abilities that unlock areas, but it has a open world castle and you can decide where to go, it's not level based like Spelunky, why do you say that there's no exploration? And honestly i see the upgrades the equivalent of the abilities that let you go further, i don't think that many people can finish the game with the first hero(is it even possible?).

RalchAC

I've just
killed Lady Astraea
(finished 5-3) in Demon's Souls
(you kill the knight, talk to her, he dies after giving you her Demon Soul even if you don't attack her)
and I feel like the worst person ever.

I wanted to explore the area, but I get plagued everytime I touch that water and there are some really weird red babies there.

Started playing Jet Set Radio on the Vita too! I was a little afraid since reviewers said the game hadn't aged that well... but I'm not having any problem with the controls, tbh.

just prordered Swapper from the EU vita-store. I had to search for it to find it.. are there more games that you know of that I can preorder from the vita-store (EU)?

This is one of my most anticipated games (I have several/a lot) this year and I actually thought it was going to cost more than 10€.

Yawnier

Banned
Why did I even bother buying Dragon's Crown last year and I haven't even opened it yet... and here it is on PS+ lol. Wonder if I should sell or trade my copy.

Prelude.

I wanted to explore the area, but I get plagued everytime I touch that water and there are some really weird red babies there.
Dying in that area and trying to get your souls back is something you don't want to try, trust me. I did that right after beating the boss and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

RalchAC

Dying in that area and trying to get your souls back is something you don't want to try, trust me. I did that right after beating the boss and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

I decided to not try to reach the other side while having 40k souls, so I used them before trying. Then I watched the babies.

The armour I got from the
knight that protect here
is so fucking cool I wish I could use it while having the fast roll skill. I was using heavy armour at first, but yesterday I tried something ligther for 5-2 (the set that has extra poison resistance) and I can't go back to those heavy things.

It seems I've unlocked 1-3 now (there was a heavy fog that didn't let me go further). I may give it a try later. I have unlocked up to 2-3, 3-2 (I just need to kill the boss) and 4-2 (I haven't gone to far there).

Galdelico

I just got Chaos Code from EU PSN and I'm actually enjoying it more than I thought... So, now I'm looking for other lesser-known digital only fighting games/beat'em ups from all regions.

Any word on Dark Awake: The King Has No Name? It's cheap and it kinda reminds me of Golden Axe: The Duel.
I'm not searching for anything super deep, I'd just be content with a decent gameplay and a reasonable amount of single player material.

Thanks in advance!

wilflare

PlayStationGAF what are your sound setups like?

anyone using Astro A50?
or Astro Mixamp with their own headset?

Shinriji

Any word on Dark Awake: The King Has No Name? It's cheap and it kinda reminds me of Golden Axe: The Duel.

I buy it a long, long time ago. It reminds me of a lesser, non-SNK NeoGeo game, like Breaker's Revenge or Fighter's History Dynamite. Not horrible or broken, but not good either. I think that you will play it once or twice and forget it, like I did.

It looks I might buy this. I probably going to. Yeah, I think I will. Yeah. Just a matter of when.

I don't think I'll like the characters, the world looks bland, and I think the game setup and story is stupid for this type game*, but I find the gameplay interesting. (*
I mean... really? You start at most party member possible to least party member possible? I don't know how gameplay will go from "more tactical options" to "less tactical options" as the game goes on. :/
)

The framerate is... annoying to the eyes. At least when you're moving your character's view. I usually don't notice the FPS "problems" unless they're slowdowns. Hopefully, it's just the demo. (inb4 only Vita has problems)

UI problem1: It's not clear the exact scope of your attack is due to the stupid looping animation of the indicator. Can't we just animate once and let they stay where they should be? -__-

UI problem2: Sometimes, the PoV will be from behind the walls, but the walls were kept solid. Corners can hide stuff like an enemy (or an ally).
On the other hand, I also wish there's also a view from above (think SRW OE-style) instead of just "third person view" (as seen from TPS).

Also, it seems Assist Attacks have no limit in usage and number of participants. This can lead to huge chaining attacks.
3 enemies?
Enemy 1 attacks
Enemy 2 attacks, Enemy 1 assists
Enemy 3 attacks, Enemy 2 assists, Enemy 1 assists.

I just hope there'd be units that can tank that much.

Interface is also "slow" but I can live with that.

^Continuing from my last post...

I remember seeing people say they didn't know how this game played. If you haven't played Super Robot Wars (SRW OE to be more precise), I guess the closest thing I can think up of (in terms of gameplay) would be Senjou no Valkyria/Valkyria Chronicles.

It's kinda like SenVal with "spells" but without the 'semi-active' and 'TPS-targeting' part. (And that description in itself makes it much closer to even non-3D-map SRW than SenVal. But eh, I doubt many have played one.)

Gameplay-wise, it seems fine and interesting... but the other half of the equation is in making the right enemies and map. But the lack of support defend (or just simply defend option) is still painful.

Let me, however, re-establish what I said before. Your options may not be degrading as bad as I thought. Some skills might only obtainable by getting selecting which ally gets erased. And equipping an ally's Materia also seems to unlock their skills (probably only minor ones?).

On the other hand, it seems... to be a really short game (compared to say... the length in SRW or SenVal series).

I guess I'll pass at launch. :/

Galdelico

I buy it a long, long time ago. It reminds me of a lesser, non-SNK NeoGeo game, like Breaker's Revenge or Fighter's History Dynamite. Not horrible or broken, but not good either. I think that you will play it once or twice and forget it, like I did.

Thank you sir.

Is it really so shallow that it doesn't even encourage you to finish the story mode with all the characters/teams?
Still on the fence tho, because stuff like Breakers or FHD is quite exactly what I'm looking for.

Dark Awake looks really cool, I like playing obscure fighters and I'm digging the fantasy vibe, was it only released in Japan? How much is it on the store?

SerTapTap

Who's getting Neptunia ReBirth? Do we have good reviews of the JP version? I like mk2 and Victory (though replaying Mk2 for all endings was a pain in the ass). I'd like to get the first if it's combat is improved, but is it worth checking out?

Will be getting Counter Spy, Hohokum, First Light, checking out the PS+ games. Will wait on Phantom Breaker for PS4. I got the CE of Xillia 1 but...they botched Symphonia 2 so bad I think I'll wait this one out.

Lots of love for Akiba's trip, why's that? I'd wait for PS4 anyway, just surprised how often I hear it mentioned.

Gravity Crash was fun, not sure I'll double dip though. Stardust Vita was a bit of a letdown.

Shinriji

Thank you sir.

Is it really so shallow that it doesn't even encourage you to finish the story mode with all the characters/teams?
Still on the fence tho, because stuff like Breakers or FHD is quite exactly what I'm looking for.

It is really an average fighter, on the stricter sense of the word. The only thing that is remarkeable is the animation of the characters, that isn't normal sprites, but a mix of Primal Rage and Pulstar. Kinda peculiar. The last boss is also impressive.

I beat with all teams for the lulz, but the online was already barren on week 1 (I only played 3 times with the same dude, and it was a laggy mess every single time).

If you want an obscure, average fighting game because reasons, I say go for it.

Saphirax

Who's getting Neptunia ReBirth? Do we have good reviews of the JP version? I like mk2 and Victory (though replaying Mk2 for all endings was a pain in the ass). I'd like to get the first if it's combat is improved, but is it worth checking out?

Will be getting Counter Spy, Hohokum, First Light, checking out the PS+ games. Will wait on Phantom Breaker for PS4. I got the CE of Xillia 1 but...they botched Symphonia 2 so bad I think I'll wait this one out.

Lots of love for Akiba's trip, why's that? I'd wait for PS4 anyway, just surprised how often I hear it mentioned.

Gravity Crash was fun, not sure I'll double dip though. Stardust Vita was a bit of a letdown.

Never played any Neptunia games, but am planning on getting ReBirth. From what I read they've improved the combat so it's more like the other games.

Xillia 2 is nothing like Symphonia 2. It's a lot better, even than Xillia according to people who've played it.

Galdelico

It is really an average fighter, on the stricter sense of the word. The only thing that is remarkeable is the animation of the characters, that isn't normal sprites, but a mix of Primal Rage and Pulstar. Kinda peculiar. The last boss is also impressive.

I beat with all teams for the lulz, but the online was already barren on week 1 (I only played 3 times with the same dude, and it was a laggy mess every single time).

If you want an obscure, average fighting game because reasons, I say go for it.
Yeah, that's the feeling... And it doesn't sound good to read it out loud. :D
I think I'll leave it. Thanks again!

Strider

Probably just Infamous First Light for me this month. Loved Second Son so I'm ready for more.

Also, anyone on the fence with Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare should pick it up. Really fun game and the change of pace from other shooters is so refreshing.

SerTapTap

Never played any Neptunia games, but am planning on getting ReBirth. From what I read they've improved the combat so it's more like the other games.

Xillia 2 is nothing like Symphonia 2. It's a lot better, even than Xillia according to people who've played it.

Victory is the second I'd get unless you're planning on all Vita. It's alternate universe, not that the plots matter to each other too much. It's more of a comedy visual novel than anything else plot-wise with lots of gaming references tossed in.

The series has dramatically improved since 1, mk2 was much better apparently, but still had some significant flaws. Victory is much better, though there's still a fair amount of spreadsheeting needed to 100%, a couple of replays needed, and you get the last party member annoyingly late. Assuming you want to use anyone but the 3 starting characters, Mk2 cockblocks you multiple times per chapter for several chapters, one of my least favorite JRPG things.

Good to hear about Xillia 2, though Im' not really interested in the CE stuff so I think I'll still wait it out. Also I've been trying to get less RPGs until I get more caught up on other stuff.

Saphirax

Victory is the second I'd get unless you're planning on all Vita. It's alternate universe, not that the plots matter to each other too much. It's more of a comedy visual novel than anything else plot-wise with lots of gaming references tossed in.

The series has dramatically improved since 1, mk2 was much better apparently, but still had some significant flaws. Victory is much better, though there's still a fair amount of spreadsheeting needed to 100%, a couple of replays needed, and you get the last party member annoyingly late. Assuming you want to use anyone but the 3 starting characters, Mk2 cockblocks you multiple times per chapter for several chapters, one of my least favorite JRPG things.

I always debated whether to get the games or not. Once I found out about ReBirth I thought I'd give the series a try. If I end up liking it, I'll definitely pick up Victory. Probably going to give mk2 a miss, unless I can find it for really cheap.

SerTapTap

I always debated whether to get the games or not. Once I found out about ReBirth I thought I'd give the series a try. If I end up liking it, I'll definitely pick up Victory. Probably going to give mk2 a miss, unless I can find it for really cheap.

There's going to be a rebirth 2. Not sure how much it will fix though, sounds like in 1 the very basic mechanics were awful. IN Mk2 they were a bit flawed but not too bad. The story structure and "stock" mechanics were my main problem with Mk2 and I'm not sure how they'd fix 'em.

It really bugs me that no one seems to know how to do a proper New Game +. Just leave my characters in, dont' make me re-collect them from the story. It's not like a single extremely overpowered character breaks the early game any less than a full party of extremely overpowered characters.

Saphirax

There's going to be a rebirth 2. Not sure how much it will fix though, sounds like in 1 the very basic mechanics were awful. IN Mk2 they were a bit flawed but not too bad. The story structure and "stock" mechanics were my main problem with Mk2 and I'm not sure how they'd fix 'em.

It really bugs me that no one seems to know how to do a proper New Game +. Just leave my characters in, dont' make me re-collect them from the story. It's not like a single extremely overpowered character breaks the early game any less than a full party of extremely overpowered characters.

Ooh, didn't know about Rebirth 2! Story structure in games doesn't bother me often. If I were to concentrate on the story and character aspects of the games more I think I'd be severely disappointed. As long as it's not terrible, I'm okay with it.

That's not to say I play games purely for their gameplay. Lack of a story or decent characters bothers me more than their bad variations.

Edit: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/01/hyperdimension-neptunia-rebirth1s-story-localization-changed/

Gives you a good idea on all the changes in ReBirth.

Prelude.

These commercials are great.

http://a.pomf.se/oiffyx.webm

I decided to not try to reach the other side while having 40k souls, so I used them before trying. Then I watched the babies.

The armour I got from the
knight that protect here
is so fucking cool I wish I could use it while having the fast roll skill. I was using heavy armour at first, but yesterday I tried something ligther for 5-2 (the set that has extra poison resistance) and I can't go back to those heavy things.
Yeah, as soon as I was able to fast roll with it I used it until the end of the game.

VLiberty

Man, DmC is incredible.

Gameplay-wise could be amongst the best games of the generation. The light/dark powers give so much to the gameplay, both platforming and fighting feel great. Admittedly my only prior experience with the series was DMC3 and I've played little of it, but I think that DmC is a step forward for the series, gameplay-wise. There's a copy of DMC4 which has been sitting here for a while and I don't know if I'll ever play it...

I'm on mission 18, I think I'm almost done. Is Vergil's Downfall worth it?

Joey Ravn

Banned
I should have been clearer saying that's not a pure metroidvania but a roguelike with a open map, i agree on the lack of abilities that unlock areas, but it has a open world castle and you can decide where to go, it's not level based like Spelunky, why do you say that there's no exploration? And honestly i see the upgrades the equivalent of the abilities that let you go further, i don't think that many people can finish the game with the first hero(is it even possible?).

No, let's see. I didn't say that there was no exploration. There is, of course, a level of exploration associated with the very nature of the roguelike: you get a randomized layout that you go into "blind" and must explore every time you restart. But the game lacks certain exploration aspects that characterize the Metroidvania genre. Mainly, the fact that certain areas of the map are not blocked by the requirement of a certain item/upgrade that you get later on.

When I say that it relates more to Spelunky than to a Metroidvania, I'm talking about the fact that every time you restart with a new character in Rogue Legacy, you get a randomized layout of the castle, just like you get a new seed in Spelunky. In a Metroidvania you have a static map that you can memorize as you explore it during your playthrough.

The upgrades in Rogue Legacy are not strictly needed to beat the game, though they certainly make your life a lot easier. I'm sure that there's someone out there who has beaten the game with no deaths and no upgrades, but most people will never even think about it. The thing is that lacking a certain upgrade won't block your progress in the game, unlike in Metroidvanias, which require you to have a certain item or upgrade to even proceed with the main story.

TL;DR: However we may want to call it, Rogue Legacy is a fucking great game!

Gbraga

Guys, I just recently got a faster internet, and I guess now it's fast enough for me to finally notice the slow download speeds on PSN, is there anything I can do about it or it's just the way PSN works, and I have to deal with it?

I already tried using google's DNS and also tried setting up a proxy on my computer and make the consoles go through it, no luck either way. The PS4 is already on DMZ

Man, DmC is incredible.

Gameplay-wise could be amongst the best games of the generation. The light/dark powers give so much to the gameplay, both platforming and fighting feel great. Admittedly my only prior experience with the series was DMC3 and I've played little of it, but I think that DmC is a step forward for the series, gameplay-wise. There's a copy of DMC4 which has been sitting here for a while and I don't know if I'll ever play it...

I'm on mission 18, I think I'm almost done. Is Vergil's Downfall worth it?

Vergil's Downfall is awesome, they finally get rid of color coded enemies and playing as Vergil is a lot of fun, he feels faster than Dante.

SerTapTap

Ooh, didn't know about Rebirth 2! Story structure in games doesn't bother me often. If I were to concentrate on the story and character aspects of the games more I think I'd be severely disappointed. As long as it's not terrible, I'm okay with it.

That's not to say I play games purely for their gameplay. Lack of a story or decent characters bothers me more than their bad variations.

Edit: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/01/hyperdimension-neptunia-rebirth1s-story-localization-changed/

Gives you a good idea on all the changes in ReBirth.

Combat in mk2 really wasn't too bad. My biggest problem was to get "SP" you had to attack enemies or use certain battle items, no way to replenish it outside of battle, so there was no way to go into CPU mode at the start of a battle or when entering a map. Victory solves this problem well (and some boss fights just toss you straight into CPU mode), not sure how Rebirth 1 or 2 will handle that.

Otherwise combat is kinda like Quest 64 except you can't run in realtime to dodge attacks,and there's a sort of make-your-own-combo system for normal attacks that's pretty interesting.

Edit:

Oh, those changes all sound pretty good. More comedic touches will be welcome, it's definitely a strong suit of the story in Victory. The series gets a lot of shit, but it's amazing to see IF learn more about making a game in 1 generation across 3 games than most JRPG devs have learned in 20 years.

Almost sad IF International is doing the localizing for most of their games now though. NISA usually does great collector's editions and good work in general.

SerTapTap

Redhood

This reminds me of two things:

1) Can you really not get SS Delta as an upgrade, only buying it as a full new game?

2) Monster Monpiece OT is dead, anyone play? I've just been beating up the AI but it's not very smart

No. SSD does not come as an update. You need to buy it separately .

SerTapTap

I guess I'll pass then. I enjoyed SS but I really don't enjoy wandering around between different missions and suddenly hitting a brickwall of difficulty, then finding easier Avalon/etc quests to do, then going back...all gets very annoying. Been stuck on the final boss, I'll probably finally shelve it after I beat that.

Top Bottom