• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The P.T. demo is one of the best things to happen in gaming in a long time.

I cannot get enough of how cool this entire experience has been.

Seeing forums ablaze with wonder and excitement over this thing, picking it apart sequence by sequence, trying to find clues and tricks to trigger the ending - it's fantastic. It reminds me of when I was young, playing Super Mario 64 and trying to "unlock Luigi" while scouring the Internet looking for clues or ways to unlock this. Or in Pokemon Red/Blue, trying to catch Togepi by using the item finder 100 times in a certain cave. Silly, crazy rumors like that. You can see that stuff present in the demo thread - people trying to figure out how many steps it takes to trigger certain phenomenon. It's fun, it's exciting, it's fresh. All of us trying to solve this huge mystery.

There is a sense of wonder to this demo that no games seem to have anymore. A game comes out and almost everything about it is online in a few short days. And here we have this teaser game, that's essentially one hallway, that is churning up countless pages of discussion.

This is so much more fun than a teaser trailer. It feels like we're part of something again, uncovering secrets and hidden meanings.

Not only that, but the game looks gorgeous. Yeah, say what you want about the jump scares, but the atmosphere is tense, creepy, and certainly has that sense of terror - that something is horribly, horribly wrong.

So what do you guys think? Opinions on Hideo Kojima aside, what do you think about this reveal process? I just can't get over how freakin' cool it is.

Its really awesome to be honest, even as someone who couldn't last more than 3 minutes playing it! Ton of work went into it and it has a surprising amount of depth.

I'm 100% on board with Kojima doing Silent Hills now. P.T is fantastic. Visually breathtaking and incredibly creepy.

I wish they would've kept the Silent Hills stuff a secret a little longer. They had the chance to make this the "Cloverfield Trailer" of video games. Seriously. When the Cloverfield Trailer was released the internet went into a frenzy trying to figure out what it was. Konami had a chance to have that with Silent Hills.

It's amazing, but frankly I'm surprised it hasn't really been done before. People hate waiting on stuff, so the idea of randomly dropping this out of nowhere definitely helps satiate that excitement a bit and it turned into massive word of mouth. When it was revealed to be Silent Hill, I mean that's huge.

Absolutely loved it. Was floored by how scary it actually was; scariest thing I've ever played. Silent Hills will be amazing, but this makes me want a full game in a haunted house similar to P.T.

But the final puzzle was too hard for a regular game. The full game needs (and will have) more straightforward puzzles.

adj_noun

Imagine if this type of thing became the norm at, say, E3. It's a heck of a lot more engaging than just watching a trailer.

Very cool idea! They are dominating the discussion right now whereas a simple teaser trailer would have done a fraction of that. I mean this is I think more talked about than Bloodborne at the moment, and that is crazy.

CorySchmitz

Totally agree, 100%. Instant great video gaming memory. Also got that “Oh wow, *this* is next-gen” feeing from it. Amazing, clever stuff.

BONDO

Simply amazing, and jumped like a girl and had goosebumps.
Cant say any game has ever done that. I guess technology and Hideo caught up enough to finally scare the shit out of me.

Yup. First vidya game to legitimately creep me out since like... Project Zero on PS2. The amount of effort that went into it is bloody amazing.

Pikma

Banned
I don't think a teaser/demo is the best thing to happen in gaming, it's just that, a teaser/demo to promote a game concept that obviously isn't ready to be shown.

abrack08

I didn't play it or watch any videos, I'm not that interested in Silent Hill or horror games in general... but it's probably the coolest game announcement I've ever seen. Even just reading about it after the fact, putting no effort in. Can't even imagine how the first few people who finished it felt, before the news spread. Hopefully one or two of them were big SH fans.

Agreed, it was a fantastic idea. I just wish the mystery lasted for longer than a few hours. Everyone scrambling around trying to figure this out for another day or two would have been so good.

I just wish the mystery lasted for longer than a few hours. Everyone scrambling around trying to figure this out for another day or two would have been so good.

It was intended to last longer according to Kojima. He said that they expected it to take at least a week for people to figure it out. It was intentionally designed to be extremely hard to finish, which is why you're seeing so many people get frustrated and quit because they can't figure out what to do.

sn00zer

Net time they need to figure out a way to time the reveal better......any puzzle you made no matter how elaborate can and will be brute forced by thousands of players

It's been great PR for a Silent Hill, it looks goddamn amazing, it's interesting and scary as hell, and it's free. It's got to be the best game reveal ever, if not one of the coolest gaming events.

Spoo

Its been pretty fucking epic, especially if you were there, playing through this thing before anyone knew exactly what it was. Going through that process of discovery, and now the meta-game to figure out how to trigger the ending (the current theory being the mic must be plugged in and you have to talk into it lol!), has just been insane.

Also, I think, you know it's an incredible piece of game on its own, by itself.

Neiteio

Yep, it's incredible. I don't have a PS4 at the moment (only a PS3, where Sony systems are concerned), but I was spellbound watching MiamiWesker streaming it. His attempts to complete the demo had him running in circles for the hour I watched, but that made it all the more fascinating, trying to deduce some rhyme or reason to the game's madness. It's magical how the game rekindled the sense of "mystery" that has become a lost art of sorts in this day and age where hyper-detail is king and little room is left to the imagination.

adj_noun

It was intended to last longer according to Kojima. He said that they expected it to take at least a week for people to figure it out. It was intentionally designed to be extremely hard to finish, which is why you're seeing so many people get frustrated and quit because they can't figure out what to do.

I turned it off at a certain point because I thought I'd died and the game had looped back to the beginning. I had no idea there was more until I saw folks talking about it on GAF.

AlexIIDX

Very very cool, been talking about and playing it along with my friend and cousin over skype throughout the day trying to figure out the secrets. I was sweating bullets 10 minutes in...It looks so real. This has me incredibly excited for Silent Hills, I just hope they can keep the atmosphere as creepy if it's going to be 3rd person.

My only complaint is that it the surprise was revealed too quickly. Maybe they could have had the reveal unlocked with a patch later. Otherwise I think it was ingenious.

ShadowLag

Agreed, it was a fantastic idea. I just wish the mystery lasted for longer than a few hours. Everyone scrambling around trying to figure this out for another day or two would have been so good.

According to Kojima, he expected it to take at least a week for people to figure out the final puzzle and reveal the game, but he was surprised when it took less than a day.

EDIT: I expected it to take at least a minute before people posted the note about Kojima, but I was surprised when it took less than a second.

Neiteio

So it sounds like people have figured out how to reliably beat the demo? Can someone tell me the solution in spoiler tags?

Renta

Banned
100% agree! I love going in blind to something and having everyone collectively be on the same level of wonder. Having it be a reveal of something upcoming is just a cherry on top. I want more game reveals like this. MORE PTs please and thank you!

Griss

Totally agree with the OP, this has been masterful from start to finish. I wouldn't want a game this obtuse, and I was frustrated as hell, but the demo did exactly what it set out to do.

1. It scared the shit out of everyone
2. It got everyone talking, because we needed to work together
3. It was an amazing way to reveal a game that has never been done before

I wish they would've kept the Silent Hills stuff a secret a little longer. They had the chance to make this the "Cloverfield Trailer" of video games. Seriously. When the Cloverfield Trailer was released the internet went into a frenzy trying to figure out what it was. Konami had a chance to have that with Silent Hills.

If you had been playing the thing for the whole two hours or so before the secret was revealed then believe me you had the full Cloverfield experience. To those who only played it once the secret was out, that's a shame. But for a lot of us it really was that cool.

Codiox

Can I still play the P.T. Demo tomorrow? Because I'm not at home until tomorrow. Want to experience it too :(

Griss

Imagine if this type of thing became the norm at, say, E3. It's a heck of a lot more engaging than just watching a trailer.

I'll never understand why people don't reveal games at E3, and then say 'playable teaser online NOW'. Everyone would freak out and go play it. Wouldn't even need to be a full demo. Just a PT. (Yes, this is a thing now) If you actually have something good, then the hype is off the charts.

Agreed. Everything about the execution was perfect. Sony treated this lke it was nothing, and who would have thought it was a new Silent Hill made by Kojima and Guillermo del Toro?!

While Kojima was on stage showing cardboard boxes, this was there on PSN store patiently waiting to be discovered.

Alfebit

Banned
100% agree. What a fantastic way to reveal a game. I'm still working my way through it and am a little mad that I was spoiled on the surprise beforehand, but I really hope other developers take this kind of approach.

One wonders how Kojima will top himself with the next reveal. He started out with the "Phantom Pain" trailer under a fake studio name, then moved on to a fully interactive teaser game which reveals the game's title under certain conditions.

What's next? A full length movie that suddenly turns into a Metal Gear announcement? A viral street art puzzle campaign for the next ZoE?

alterno69

Banned
Besides the coolnes of it being a silent hill reveal, holy shit is it scary and made me extremely uneasy all the way through. The fridge part is specially creepy. I'm a huge silent hill fan so i'm really excited for what's to come after playing this and failing to beat it tho.

The only thing that comes close to me in terms of how i felt while playing it is Siren, the PS3 version released in chapters years ago, fantastic game too.

Net time they need to figure out a way to time the reveal better......any puzzle you made no matter how elaborate can and will be brute forced by thousands of players

Can you imagine if you somehow figured it all out and the clock then started to count down from 72 hours, and people could chip away that time by figuring it out as well, up until the point that there is only one hour left and the time can't be knocked down any further and then thousands upon thousands of people just sit there waiting and staring...click...door is open...trailer!?

Took about 4 horus for someone to stumble along the final teaser wasn't it?

Really only working out now exactly how to get it to pop which is cool!

Owzers

Sony and konami had something huge to announce but they downplayed it, they said here's this thing that makes people scream called p.t., go download it today and see for yourself. That was a bold decision and I'm sure they are pleased with it.

Top Bottom