• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coming Quake Live patch adding Awesome Button, Loadouts, global Ammo and more.

CTLance

== UPDATE EDIT ==
Aaaaand it's official.
http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showthread.php?37858

But ultimately these changes have not been introduced for the new player alone. We feel that these elements overall help bring Quake one step closer to being a modern shooter, while still holding true to our roots of remaining an incredibly fast paced old school shooter.

I can't even bring myself to read this shit. I just saw a single bullet point and had to close the tab.

May the gods have mercy upon our souls.

Official list of official changes to the game from the above official thread of officialness (or the official news post):
New Quake Live Ruleset
  • Players may now hold jump to continuously jump.
  • Players may now hold forward and jump to 'bunny hop', allowing them to slowly gain up to 2x their base movement speed.
  • Introduced Loadouts in select modes; allowing players to select one Primary Weapon (hmg, rl, lg, rg) and one Secondary Weapon (sg, gl, pg, mg).
  • Added the command "weapon toggle" to toggle between your Primary and Secondary weapons. Defaults to "f" for new users.
  • Unified weapon respawn time to 5 seconds across all game modes.
  • Unified friendly fire, disabled across all game modes.
  • Added global Ammo Packs, in lieu of weapon specific ammo, where each pack grants you a small amount of ammo for each weapon in your inventory.
  • Reduced ammo respawn time from 40 seconds to 10 seconds.
  • Added in-world item timers for "major" items, including armors, megahealth, power-ups, and medkit.
  • Items have taller pickup collision boxes, so that players will not miss items as they jump over them.
  • Added Power-up Spawn POIs, that appear 10 seconds before a power-up spawns.
  • Added Power-up POIs, that indicate when an available power-up is available in the arena.

For players who wish to largely avoid the new major changes, the legacy style of play has been preserved within a "Classic" ruleset. All of our public Duel servers run in Classic mode. Subscribers may host additional classic servers using our "Create Match" feature. This includes the launching of Standard Classic servers, which any player may freely join.

In addition to our major ruleset changes, the following global game changes have been made:

General Game Changes
  • Added a new weapon, the Heavy Machinegun (HMG).
  • Lightning Gun now does 6 damage per cell across all rulesets, or 120 damage per second.
  • New higher resolution font added.
  • Widescreen Support for huds (see default huds for implementation examples).
  • New in-game UI (menu and loading screens).
  • Disabled the pk3 encryption. Paks can now be opened like a zip file; maps load up to 25% faster.
  • Added flagstand POIs in CTF.
  • Enabled self-kills with an additional 1 second respawn penalty.
  • Quad firing sound reduced on high rate of fire weapons: mg, pg, cg, hmg.
  • Added damage number indicators for damage dealt, can be customized by various color styles and enabled or disabled per weapon.
  • Fixed a bug in that could cause the best weapon selection to fail.
  • Machinegun now drops to grant users mg ammo.
  • Infected zombies now have air control and can double jump.
  • Fixed the CHEATS ENABLED notification on the map loading screen from lagging behind its proper state.
  • Reduced the default amount of player movement bobbing.
  • Reduced the default amount of damage kick movement.
  • By default, don't show weapons you don't have in inventory on your weaponbar.
  • By default, bob major items when simpleitems are enabled.
  • Prevent broken shader image on crosshair '30', '60', '90', which would equate to crosshair "none" as the cycle repeats.
  • Bots now randomly select loadouts, when applicable.
  • Greatly reduced multiple pickups prediction errors.
  • Removed the option to move to FreeCam while dead in elimination based gametypes.
  • The PQL ruleset has been renamed 'Turbo'.
  • Stonekeep map layout slightly modified.
  • Trimmed out 19 maps will be added back later after being updated. (Arena Gate, Bloodlust, Cobalt Station, Concrete Palace, Dies Irae, Double Impact, Eviscerated, Focal Point, Forgotten, Golgotha Core, Hell's Gate Redux, Hero's Keep, Power Station, Proving Grounds, Sacellum, Solid, Sorrow, Space Camp, Spillway, Terminal Heights, Terminus)

Create Match Features
  • Ruleset selections (Quake Live, Turbo, Classic) are all available for standard servers.
  • Now support custom values of starting ammo in AD, CA, DOM, and RR.
  • Added optional Double Jump physics player movement mechanic.
Arena Changes
  • Removed Team Arena Runes from all maps.
  • Proxy Launcher removed from all maps.
  • Chaingun and Nailgun removed from several maps.
  • Heavy Machinegun added to several maps, some depending on ruleset or mode.
This is not a joke, or a delayed April fool's day prank.

(Click imaeg for babbi.)

== END OF EDIT / START OF OLD OP ==

BASED id & BETHESDA

Did you think this was a joke? Well, you ain't seen nothing yet.

(source)
GAMEPLAY CHANGES

New Default Gameplay Ruleset
  • Players may now hold jump to continuously jump.
  • The minimum allowed time between jumps has been increased from 50ms to 100ms.
  • Players may now hold forward and jump to ‘bunny hop’, allowing them to slowly gain up to 2x their base movement speed.
  • When wielding the Gauntlet, ground movement speed is increased 6.25%.
  • Introduced Loadouts, allowing players to select one Primary Weapon (hmg, rl, lg, rg) and one Secondary Weapon (mg, sg, gl, pg).
  • Added the command “weapon toggle” to toggle between your Primary and Secondary weapons.
  • Unified weapon respawn time to 5 seconds across all gamemodes.
  • Added global Ammo Packs, in lieu of weapon specific ammo, where each pack grants you a small amount of ammo for each weapon in your inventory.
  • Reduced ammo respawn time from 40 seconds to 10 seconds.
  • Added in-world item timers for “major” items, including armors, megahealth, power-ups, and medkit. Respawn timers blink once per second, and display one “pie piece” for every 5 seconds that has elapsed.
  • Items have taller pickup collision boxes, so that players will not miss items as they jump over them.
  • Power-up spawn indicators now appear when a power-up has spawned in the arena.
  • Enabled self-kills with an additional 1 second respawn penalty.
Weapon Changes
  • Railgun damage 80->90
  • Rocket splash damage 84->100
  • Gauntlet damage 50->75
  • Added new weapon, the Heavy Machinegun to act as a viable primary infinite range hitscan weapon with some but minor spread.
  • Lightning Gun now does 6 damage per cell across all rulesets, or 120 damage per second.

PUBLIC MATCH SETTINGS

From the notes, it seems they are trying to standardize the public normal servers. No more call voting team sizes and it seems all team modes will be capped at 5 players per team. The timelimit has also been cut down to 15 minutes for CTF and TDM. CA has also been cut down to 7 rounds instead of 10.

Public FFA Settings
  • New ruleset in full effect
Public Duel Settings
Public TDM Settings
  • Friendly-Fire disabled.
  • Power-up drops enabled.
  • Fraglimit 150
  • Timelimit 15
  • Teamsize 5 (no callvoting teamsize).
Public CA Settings
  • New ruleset enabled without loadouts (new physics, but ‘all’ weapons – classic ca + hmg)
  • Round Limit 7
Public CTF Settings
  • New ruleset enabled without loadouts (new physics, mg starter, in-world item timers, etc)
  • Timelimit 15
  • Public FT Settings
  • Timelimit 15
Public DOM Settings
  • Weapons drop for additional weapons.
  • Self damage enabled.
  • Timelimit 15
Public AD Settings
  • Weapons drop for additional weapons.
  • Timelimit 15
CLASSIC GAMEPLAY

The Classic Quake Live Experience will ONLY be available through create a match, meaning only pro subscribers can unlock classic for others to play.

This was leaked a week ago on reddit. I'd have treated it as a rumour, were it not for the reactions of the staff.

Moderators on the official QL forums have been exceedingly twitchy and cleanse any mention of the rumours, and chat logs have surfaced that at the very least hint at rather unpleasant upcoming changes.

(source)
5YInj7B.png
Also a whole lot more at this pastebin. Look for sponge's replies.

This ain't no mere nightmare, folks. This is a glimpse at the future of Quake.
tank20clay20pigeon20sz9cse.gif

Thread title courtesy of xyla.

VariantX

Universal ammo in quake?? Free bunny hops?? Loadouts?? I'm no quake expert but it sounds like it would dumb down the game quite a bit.

Items have taller pickup collision boxes, so that players will not miss items as they jump over them.

I don't think there was a player alive, hard-core or casual, who ever jumped over the fucking ammo boxes and said "I should have gotten that".

Who is making these decisions over there??? What are they THINKING?!?

xk0sm0sx

Well, the changes sounds awesome.
Seems geared to make it more chaotic.
(Non-quake player, prefers half life deathmatch)

Well, they probably had the choice: Shut it down or lower the skill-ceiling to the floor.

I think with the current rise of challenging games (CS:GO, Dota 2) a faithful new Quake Arena would have a chance. Quake Live is just old. It's a 15 year old game that has had a small community playing it for years. Making it free and playable in a browser wasn't going to be enough to bring in new players. A modern one might.

These changes aren't going to make the game appeal to people who don't like arena shooters regardless.

deleted

id is handling Quake really, really bad!

With the 'resurrection' of eSports on PC, this would be the perfect time to release a F2P Quake modeled after the Dota2 model. Or like CS:GO.

Have the classic modes available as ranked (tdm, ctf), add Rocket Arena and Casual modes, add stickers, boxes and.. hell map cycles to stay profitable, have one hell of a spectator mode - try to establish the game in tournaments and be on steam day one.
Watch the community grow and continue to work on the game - become the go to Arena Shooter.

Instead we got this.

deleted

Well, they probably had the choice: Shut it down or lower the skill-ceiling to the floor.

They also could have caved and release the game where it could grow a player base.

In other news, I would have really liked to be informed, when they deleted my profile after being inactive for a few month before actually deleting it.

id is handling Quake really, really bad!

With the 'resurrection' of eSports on PC, this would be the perfect time to release a F2P Quake modeled after the Dota2 model. Or like CS:GO.

Have the classic modes available as ranked (tdm, ctf), add Rocket Arena and Casual modes, add stickers, boxes and.. hell map cycles to stay profitable, have one hell of a spectator mode - try to establish the game in tournaments and be on steam day one.
Watch the community grow and continue to work on the game - become the go to Arena Shooter.

Instead we got this.

Seriously. It's all there laid out before them. Throw up a skin workshop too.

Mechazawa

I have to assume this is fake.

It's too unbelievable to me that no one at id looked over these changes and thought "THIS IS KIND OF REALLY FUCKING STUPID AND SURE TO PISS OFF OUR USERBASE"

CTLance

I have to assume this is fake.

It's too unbelievable to me that no one at id looked over these changes and thought "THIS IS KIND OF REALLY FUCKING STUPID AND SURE TO PISS OFF OUR USERBASE"
It's unreal, I know. However, if you look at the staff comments on IRC and the way the mods are pruning their forums... it may not end up quite as bad as this, but something smells rotten in the state of Denmark.

Also, I especially love this quote:
<@sponge> people who play quake live now have been playing for 5+ years, or 10+ years since q3
<@sponge> i dont think we need to do things to keep them around
<@sponge> because they arent going anywhere

Garou

They also could have caved and release the game where it could grow a player base.

In other news, I would have really liked to be informed, when they deleted my profile after being inactive for a few month before actually deleting it.

But they always send a reminder-mail before deactivating the account. I must know, I'm dragging mine along since beta.

caesar

Banned
Wow, I stopped playing Quake a while ago but man... strafe jumping is such a beautiful mechanic, how could you ruin it?!

Although increasing the lag between jumps isn't going to stop me destroying people with lightning gun.

danmaku

If this isn't a joke, it must be a "casual mode" they want to add to the base game. But it really sounds like a joke. Weapon loadouts? come on...

deleted

But they always send a reminder-mail before deactivating the account. I must know, I'm dragging mine along since beta.

I just checked again. Nope, never got this. January 09 beta invitation with Account verification, Year One message, then nothing...

Mechazawa

It's unreal, I know. However, if you look at the staff comments on IRC and the way the mods are pruning their forums... it may not end up quite as bad as this, but something smells rotten in the state of Denmark.

Also, I especially love this quote:

I mean, technically, their most "dedicated" players might presumably have that pro subscription, so he's right in that they wouldn't directly be hurting them, but whatever benefit of getting an influx of much needed new blood in Quake Live would be completely negated by having them all play this a completely different version of the game. And that's of course only if you subscribe to the idea that no dedicated Quake players are playing the free version.

riflen

I don't think this is fake, there's too much to corroborate it. These were some of the worst changes to Quake I think I've ever seen and I've been playing since 1996.

Sponge may think he knows why people play Quake, but he's wrong. Luckliy I was able to cancel my Pro subscription, which was due to renew today, of all days.

Kevin

I always wonder why and how game companies can make such bad decisions. I mean this is just one example but man, all of this sounds really stupid. Kind of wonder who at iD thought this was a good idea?

It also makes me wonder just how bad the Doom reboot may end up turning out if this is the kind of thinking that is going on at that company. lol

I dont get why they think this 15 year old game is good enough instead of making a new and modern hardcore arena shooter. Complex games are doing well. People are not as stupid as game companies think they are.

riflen

I always wonder why and how game companies can make such bad decisions. I mean this is just one example but man, all of this sounds really stupid. Kind of wonder who at iD thought this was a good idea?

It also makes me wonder just how bad the Doom reboot may end up turning out if this is the kind of thinking that is going on at that company. lol

All you have to do to understand why things are how they are, is recognise that id was founded by people who loved games and technology. Now, they are owned by a company that's headed up by a lawyer.

robinsxe

WOW this is crazy. I just got back into playing some quake live to experience dat nostalgia feelz and i'll be godamned if they implement anything like this. Seriously, they'd destroy the soul of this game if these changes turns out to be true.

Top Bottom