• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall Update 3.0 Announced: Multiple Fixes Coming

Draugoth

Gold Member

Redfall Game Update 3 introduces a new UV-powered Unrivaled Sniper Rifle, the Basilisk, to your arsenal as well as more improvements and balances changes to your Redfall experience.​

WEAPONS

• Introducing the Basilisk, a new Unrivaled Sniper Rifle with a unique weapon trait: This weapon charges the first bullet in a full magazine with UV power that can petrify Vampires. Does not affect enemies recently Petrified or immune to Petrification.
    • Basilisk can drop anywhere Unrivaled items are eligible, with a higher chance to drop from Bellwether-themed containers in the open world and vampire nests.
  • Introducing the Basilisk, a new Unrivaled Sniper Rifle with a unique weapon trait: This weapon charges the first bullet in a full magazine with UV power that can petrify Vampires. Does not affect enemies recently Petrified or immune to Petrification.
    • Basilisk can drop anywhere Unrivaled items are eligible, with a higher chance to drop from Bellwether-themed containers in the open world and vampire nests.
AI/NPC
  • Shrouds, Anglers, and Siphons are now gated from spawning in the open world until players reach a specific level, or complete certain missions.
  • Balanced enemy abilities and traits:
    • Siphon’s Blood Torrent ability takes longer to interrupt when breaking line of sight.
    • Increased Siphon’s resistances to fire.
    • Vampires deal more damage to Bribón and Devinder’s Quantum Kerfuffle decoy when attacking from close range.
    • Soulless enemies deal more damage when attacking players from close range.
    • Watchers react faster to players in line of sight, and spawn reinforcements in combat more often.
  • Human enemies are now able to climb awnings.
  • Improved quality of enemy pathing and human movement animations.
GAMEPLAY
  • Jacob's Camouflage Field skill will no longer cancel ADS for non-Jacob players.
  • Devinder's Ultraviolent Light skill no longer shatters Special vampires, and instead inflicts a large amount of damage to them. Regular vampires will still shatter.
  • Layla’s Psychic Shockwave no longer triggers multiple times from vampire lunge attacks.
  • Deathmist Spewers now respond to the UV burst from Emergency Flash Bang Blood Remnants.
  • Co-op players no longer lose their crouching ability when exiting a nest.
  • Bound civilians no longer show as cultists when pinged.
MISSIONS
  • Refined search areas for several missions.
  • Added more respawn points to minimize cases where players are blocked from respawning after death.
  • Fixed locations where Devinder’s Translocate device can be thrown out of world.
  • Improved NPC patrol paths
  • “Amelia's Eulogy” triggers correctly after reloading the game.
  • Resolved issues with hostile and friendly states in “One of Us”.
  • Improved Totality’s responsiveness during the Black Sun boss fight.
HEROES
  • All damage-dealing Hero abilities will now shatter vulnerable Nest hearts.
  • Jacob’s Six String backpack cosmetic is now shown with other Backpack cosmetics.
  • Hero thumbs should no longer clip into assault rifles when equipped.
USER INTERFACE
  • Improved visibility of player locations on the Map.
  • Added input curve visuals for Input Response settings.
  • Voice chat now has a separate volume control option in the Audio Settings Menu.
ACCESSIBILITY
  • Added Single Press options for the following toggle-Hold interactions: ADS, Continuous Fire and all Menus.
  • Screen narration no longer repeats the narration for the "Close" prompt when navigating the System Menu.
  • Fixed an issue where all platforms read as ‘Xbox’ by the screen narrator.
  • Pop-up countdown is narrated properly during first time use of the Accessibility Menu.
  • Speech-to-text messages now appear in front of the blur of dialog menus in the Main Menu.
  • Message-of-the-Day carousel no longer receives focus priority after exiting out of pop-up windows.
  • Increased player flashlight's fade speed when reflecting off surfaces.
  • Reduced Rook lightning dash attack impact brightness.
AUDIO
  • Hero outfit foley has been updated and balanced to reduce loudness.
  • Resolved issues with audio skipping during psychic echo playbacks.
  • Resolved an issue where music would stop playing after a player was revived during a vampire god fight.
PERFORMANCE & STABILITY
  • Traversing through Deathmist should no longer cause performance issues.
  • Resolved issue with contact shadows interfering with self-shadowing.
  • Resolved issue with some Game Settings not persisting between game launches.
  • Restored default windowed mode to ‘Windowed Fullscreen’.
  • The game client now saves window location between game launches.
  • Various performance fixes related to FPS drops and stuttering.
  • Addressed edge-case crash condition with late joining game clients.
We're continuing development of The Hero Pass and we're excited to share more about Redfall's new heroes and other updates later next year.

More at Bethesda

HL3.exe

who-cares.gif

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'll have to pick up the new weapon. Waiting for all the updates to finish before I actually replay the game. Already beat it once and it was actually pretty enjoyable.

Things I still want:
  • Additional weapon slot. You're always going to want to have a shotgun, sniper rifle, assault rifle and specialty gun equipped (UV or stake). Having 3 slots makes no sense.
  • No online requirement for single player so the game doesn't become useless when they're finished updating it and eventually shut this down.

clarky

Gold Member
All of MS' games this year have been "rushed" out of the door, bar HIFI.

All of them could have been genuinely good to great instead of crap to good with another 6-12 months in the oven. Although Xbox sales would have been even worse with an 18-24 month gap in first party releases. They where fucked either way.

Should have bit the bullet imo with Halo fired everyone sooner and given that game another 12 months and the the same with everything since.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
All of MS' games this year have been "rushed" out of the door, bar HIFI.

All of them could have been genuinely good to great instead of crap to good with another 6-12 months in the oven. Although Xbox sales would have been even worse with an 18-24 month gap in first party releases. They where fucked either way.

Should have bit the bullet imo with Halo fired everyone sooner and given that game another 12 months and the the same with everything since.
Honestly Halo was pretty good. They just weren't at all ready to be a GAAS studio. And we see that most studios really aren't ready for that if we're being honest.

clarky

Gold Member
Honestly Halo was pretty good. They just weren't at all ready to be a GAAS studio. And we see that most studios really aren't ready for that if we're being honest.
Oh yeah I enjoyed it a lot, still do to a degree but imagine if it launched 12 months later when they could do proper seasons.

Same with this game, maybe. Not the GAAS stuff just actually finishing the game before release.

clarky

Gold Member
They sold the Hero Pass with 2 extra characters. I think they feel they need to support those purchases. It's a bad PR move to have to refund it.
The PR around this game is already in the shitter an extra turd on top wouldn't hurt anyone.

Arkane are better off dropping this game entirely and cracking on with something they actually want to make.

Last edited:
Those are patch notes.

I want to like the game. I love Arkane games in general, one of the last few Immersive-Sim creators that can do it in the big boy space... But Redfall needs a complete redo if they are gonna keep at it. The idea of an Arkane co-op immersive sim is awesome. I don't know if there's even been enough time for them to make the changes to turn it into the game I thought it was gonna be and the one they let their laurels advertise it as.

As a studio of that size, with the budgets they have to allocate so far ahead for projects and the fact that they probably have at least 2 other games being worked on in the background at least, how much actual staff and resources could they even invest to meaningfully make an impact? It feels like a sunk cost fallacy at this point.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
The PR around this game is already in the shitter an extra turd on top wouldn't hurt anyone.

Arkane are better off dropping this game entirely and cracking on with something they actually want to make.
I don't see the problem with keeping the commitment to the product you sold. It also gives Arkane employees more work. It's not like the team works on every part of a game at once, so updates and new content while the rest of the team cooks up the next game (hopefully back to an single-player immersive sim) doesn't hurt anyone.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Those are patch notes.

I want to like the game. I love Arkane games in general, one of the last few Immersive-Sim creators that can do it in the big boy space... But Redfall needs a complete redo if they are gonna keep at it. The idea of an Arkane co-op immersive sim is awesome. I don't know if there's even been enough time for them to make the changes to turn it into the game I thought it was gonna be and the one they let their laurels advertise it as.

As a studio of that size, with the budgets they have to allocate so far ahead for projects and the fact that they probably have at least 2 other games being worked on in the background at least, how much actual staff and resources could they even invest to meaningfully make an impact? It feels like a sunk cost fallacy at this point.
It's never getting a complete redo. At best it will be a mid-tier Halloween shooter. If you can't find any enjoyment in it now, you never will. It's no masterpiece, but I thought the shooting actually felt pretty good. It's the FPS equivalent of a casual beat-em-up. If you want to shoot some enemies and explore a foggy east coast town, here you go. I think the setting is actually pretty cool, and liked how many interiors you can go in and explore with the flashlight. It will never surpass 7/10. Some people never even play 7/10 games.

clarky

Gold Member
I don't see the problem with keeping the commitment to the product you sold. It also gives Arkane employees more work. It's not like the team works on every part of a game at once, so updates and new content while the rest of the team cooks up the next game (hopefully back to an single-player immersive sim) doesn't hurt anyone.
The games a dud. They shouldn't have pre sold DLC in the first place knowing the state of their game.

As far as i'm aware Arkane Austin numbers less than 100 people. My point stands they should abandon this (if my numbers are correct) and use the limited resources they have to create something awesome like they are known for.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
It's never getting a complete redo. At best it will be a mid-tier Halloween shooter. If you can't find any enjoyment in it now, you never will. It's no masterpiece, but I thought the shooting actually felt pretty good. It's the FPS equivalent of a casual beat-em-up. If you want to shoot some enemies and explore a foggy east coast town, here you go. I think the setting is actually pretty cool, and liked how many interiors you can go in and explore with the flashlight. It will never surpass 7/10. Some people never even play 7/10 games.
Yeah. Once all the major updates have been released, it'll be a nice diversion for people who want to play a spooky shooter together. It looks nice and controls well, now. It'll always be a 7. Agreed.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The games a dud. They shouldn't have pre sold DLC in the first place knowing the state of their game.

As far as i'm aware Arkane Austin numbers less than 100 people. My point stands they should abandon this (if my numbers are correct) and use the limited resources they have to create something awesome like they are known for.
it's not the same studio that made the games "like they are known for" - both literally (Arkane's studio in France made those games) and figuratively (a lot of the people who made those games left).

Two, if a company makes a shitty game and abandons it, why should I trust them to make a good game? This is just nonsensical. I would trust them more if they turned that shitty game into a good game with post-launch support, although it is far from ideal. Like if Hello Games abandoned NMS in 2016 after 2 bug fix patches would you give a single shit about their next game?

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

A total hindsight take. Fact is they already made the commitment.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
LOL its not hindsight if your the developer. Your saying they didn't know their game was completely fucked the day before release? Behave.
The Hero Pass stuff was probably decided on very early. Canceling pre-orders for the deluxe edition pre-launch would have likely made discourse even worse.

clarky

Gold Member
it's not the same studio that made the games "like they are known for" - both literally (Arkane's studio in France made those games) and figuratively (a lot of the people who made those games left).

Two, if a company makes a shitty game and abandons it, why should I trust them to make a good game? This is just nonsensical. I would trust them more if they turned that shitty game into a good game with post-launch support, although it is far from ideal. Like if Hello Games abandoned NMS in 2016 after 2 bug fix patches would you give a single shit about their next game?
Would you buy the next Arkane game blind?

Yeah, but there "B" studio made Prey and that holds as much if not more weight in the genre's they operate in than their Lyon branch did with Dishonored. So it's fair to expect the branding of Arkane to have a certain level of quality or at least be on par or the same wheelhouse as their previou 4 titles.

I think Punished Miku Punished Miku 's description of a "casual beat-em' up style shooter" is very apt and if I had kind of pictured that in my mind going into it, I might have been more receptive to it, but as I was expecting even a "B" studio quality release from Arkane, I was left massively disappointed.

You're right that you shouldn't blindly trust, it's an easy recipe to get burned, and thankfully in this case, if you chose the Gamepass route, it's a minor sting at best. But the damage it's done to the reputation of the studio and fan's trust in them in general has flown out the window.

no, Deathpoop and Redfail tell me the Arkane I used to like is no more

You're crazy. Deathloop is awesome.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I don't see the deception in selling a hero pass. The game obviously should have been delayed instead.
Selling DLC for a broken game with issues as long as the yellow brick road, glowing previews from a certain select few outlets, demoing only the Pc version at 60 fps, i'd call that pretty deceitful.

Regarding a delay i agree. Which was my original point up at the top of the thread. Game should have had 12 more months in the oven

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I bet many of those 36 players, if they play together, would be good friends by now. They'd all know each other by names.

There'd be no randoms in their games. What a beautiful small community Phil has led to. ❤️ #LifetimeAchievementAwardforPhil
Change the record mate.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Selling DLC for a broken game with issues as long as the yellow brick road, glowing previews from a certain select few outlets, demoing only the Pc version at 60 fps, i'd call that pretty deceitful.

Regarding a delay i agree. Which was my original point up at the top of the thread. Game should have have 12 more months in the oven
But you're suggesting the best course of action now should be to dump the game and refund the deluxe content cost. That would put the game back into the spotlight in the worst way possible. I think it's best to just quietly finish updating the game and move on.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Redfall in its current state is more fun than Starfield. UV powered sniper rifle sounds great. Props to Fake Arkane for at least continuing to support what I expected to be abandoned.

I’ll check it out the next time I get Game Pass for $1/Free

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I feel like the DLC stuff should of been out by now and they should of expanded the game to more then just 2 maps/biomes. But again that $70 price for arguably a $30 game and the empty promise of GREAT SUPPORT ultimately falls short. Not to mention clunky gameplay that makes older games like Turok 2 just crap all over this game.

Borderlands and Deep Rock Galactic still the Kings here.

Redfall already had potential if it was supported by their own devs and slowly treaded towards Castlevania territory. Kind of disappointing really.

SmokedMeat SmokedMeat Nah Starfield I like the shooty shooty over Redfall and unlike Redfall Starfield has low grav gunfights. Not to mention starship space battles. Games are too different to compare. But hey if you want to shitpost more power to you. The overzealous hatred of Starfield is very amusing to me.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

To each their own and if you genuinely like this, good for you. But whenever I see positive spin on this, it just always comes across like an excusatory, lower the bar, fanboi nonsensical take. I have to challenge anyone saying this is good or decent and even worthy of a 7 out of 10. I tried it after the 60fps patch. Its so fundamentally flawed. If there were no other games left on the planet, then maybe I'd play this. But why would you when there are so many, so much better games to play. Than this half baked, seriously flawed, janky load of pish.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nah Starfield I like the shooty shooty over Redfall and unlike Redfall Starfield has low grav gunfights. Not to mention starship space battles. Games are too different to compare. But hey if you want to shitpost more power to you. The overzealous hatred of Starfield is very amusing to me.

Just giving my honest opinion after my month of Game Pass. 🤷🏼

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Just giving my honest opinion after my month of Game Pass. 🤷🏼
If you use Gamepass I really don't think there is much to complain about given the price of entry vs. buying the Game flatout. I'm curious to see how Starfield will pan out when it gets mod support. Like at worst you paid $30 for Early Access via Gamepass...which not terrible for what you get.

However. Redfall thus far is underwhelming and not worth playing and I think if the devs are serious they need to go radio silent and overhaul this game into something better.

Ironically I think Robocop is better then both in terms of fun factor and length.

Roberts

You're crazy. Deathloop is awesome.

Yeah, I sometimes don’t get the hate. For the lack of a better word, it has some of the most unique game loops I’ve seen in a big budget game. Trying to get all the bosses to be in the right place to get them all in one day was a delight.

Speaking of Redfall, it is going to be on GP as long as GP exists so it actually makes a lot of sense for the to keep updating it and fixing it as much as possible. There are going to be people in a few years playing it for the first time unaware of the state it was at launch and will most likely enjoy it a lot.

Top Bottom