• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Hideo Kojima Hollywood now?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Going Hollywood means being popular and famous now. A household name with tons of merchandising and coverage (outside the gaming press). It doesn't mean his games will be movies now.

Kaz,
I'm already a movie.

I think this has more to do with Guillermo Del Toro seeking out game developers. He has a history of going outside typical Hollywood circles to pursue things that interest him on a personal level. Like teaming up with Hellboy's Mike Mignola when he wanted to make the first HB film.

DedValve

Banned
Pretty much there. Hollywood Directors Gush Awkwardly Over A Metal Gear Trailer http://kotaku.com/hollywood-directors-gush-weirdly-over-a-metal-gear-trai-1596859024

tumblr_m3rdgrgOR01r2kkkho1_500.png

Damn, dat ass.

Move over Quiet.

SeanTSC

If only Konami were more than Kojima...

Well, he's attached to the new Silent Hill now, so what else major do they have coming that he isn't a big part of?

I think I'd actually like to see his take on a new Castlevania and by god, please dig Suikoden out of its grave.

I hope he always stays with games. Kojima stands out because his games are cinematic but also have quirky 4th wall moments and cool little easter eggs. In films I dunno I think some of his stuff is too out there for mainstream appeal. Stuff like the Last of Us and Uncharted are what American audiences generally like. MGS is fantastic but it's more like anime at times.

I always love playing Kojima games but find his metaphors and subtexts to be as subtle as a sledgehammer and his characterisation to be weak. Sometimes it seems like he needs someone to stand next to him and explain why an element won't work. That's always a danger when someone has absolute creative control.

He'd still do a better job than Michael Bay though.

ArjanN

It's pretty obvious Kojima doesn't want to make movies, he wants to make make games that have movie-like stylistic elements.

If he really wanted to make movies, he would have done so by now.

That he gets to work with bigger actors, IMO most likely is just a result of his success, and the game industry in general getting bigger.

Top Bottom