• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do you rank Michael Jackson's "Xscape" among the rest of his discography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majestad

Banned
michael-jackson-album-cover.jpg

So let's say that we were judging this album as if it was a completely new release, from songs that have been recorded recently and not kept in the MJ vault.

I've been listening to the album pretty frequently and gotta say it is freaking amazing still. I would rank it only behind Bad and Thriller, but it would still be top tier.

There's zero filler here, just 8 classic tracks (17 counting the original versions and the Justin Timberlake remix). The songs are catchy, with good lyrics and amazing vocals and production.

Shit like Love never felt so good, Slave to the Rhythm and Blue Gangsta would be all time classics if they were releases back in the day, like they might have been intended to.

Yeah this album is awesome. Great cover art as well.

Splatt

I enjoyed all 8 tracks. Blue Gangsta and Do You Know Where Your Children Are are my favourites.

I'd rank it very highly.

1. Off The Wall
2. Xscape
3. Dangerous

Then everything else, with Invincible being somewhere near the bottom.

I will say that "Loving You" off of Xscape is my all time favorite track though.

sirap

Can't hate on this album. "Love never felt so good" instantly transported me back two decades into the past.

Not many songs can do that.

Probably towards the bottom.. Love Never felt so good is an awesome song. Just classic. So it puts it above some other albums because there were a few MJ records where l didn't enjoy anything.

Everything else ranges from meh, to awful on it. At least, for me..

Reave

I think it was a surprisingly good listen, but ranking a posthumous album alongside MJ's other albums is too tricky for me to do. We'll never really know if Xscape had the sound and style that Michael really wanted.

All I can say is that I enjoyed it for what it was.

1. Off The Wall/Thriller
2. Dangerous
3. Bad
4. Invincible
5. HIStory
6. Xscape
7. Michael

This is my order. Thriller or Off The Wall can switch places, depending on my mood for the day. Dangerous has so many classic MJ songs, while Bad has many great but not quite as classic ones. Invincible would be lower, if it wasn't for the middle four love songs: Break of Dawn, Heaven Can Wait, You Rock My World and Butterflies (holy hell, did he knock that one out of the park!). HIStory has Stranger in Moscow and Earth Song, which by themselves put it above his posthumous releases. Michael has a few good tunes (I particularly liked Best of Joy, I Like The Way You Move, Hollywood Tonight and Behind The Mask), but none are as good as Xscape's best, like Love Never Felt So Good and Loving You.

Ultimately, the biggest problem with Xscape is that, like someone else said, I'm not confident that the new mixes would be what Michael would've wanted. They feel somewhat similar to his more modern up-tempo stuff, but taken too far (way too far in the case of Chicago, A Place With No Name and Do You Know Where Your Children Are). Slave To The Rhythm, Blue Gangster and the title track feel a little bit closer to sounding like Mike, and are good tracks in and of themselves, but ultimately I feel like these six songs feel more like remixes of the originals (yes, I know technically they are, but you know what I mean in this instance). Loving you also feels like a remix, but is such a strong song on its own, and they kept enough of the original demo and the real essence of the tune that it works. But Love Never Felt So Good is the strongest song from Michael in years! Stronger than anything he's done since the 80's (which, coincidentally, is when he wrote it and what feeling they obviously were going for with the mix).

So even though I don't feel like it's anywhere close to his top-tier work, it isn't bad in and of itself. I mean, can anyone honestly say that it reaches Off The Wall? Really? Billie Jean by itself kills this album. But I digress.

Ovid

You're ranking Xscape above Dangerous!?

What's wrong with you? Xscape is good but not better than Dangerous.

1. Thriller
2. Dangerous
3. Bad
4. HIStory
5. Invincible
6. Michael
7. Xscape
8. Off The Wall

I personally don't get the love for Off The Wall. The best I can say is that it's "well done" and "nice" but it doesn't really do much for me.

The vocals are undoubtedly stronger on Xscape, no doubt, but I enjoy Michael's songs better.

s_mirage

1: Thriller
2: Bad
3: History
4: Dangerous
5: Xscape
6: Off the Wall
7: Invincible
8: Michael

Xscape would probably be above Dangerous if the standard edition wasn't so damn short.

1. Thriller
2. Dangerous
3. Bad
4. HIStory
5. Invincible
6. Michael
7. Xscape
8. Off The Wall

I personally don't get the love for Off The Wall. The best I can say is that it's "well done" and "nice" but it doesn't really do much for me.

This, honestly, BLOWS MY MIND!! I can understand not being your favorite, but dead last?! This just doesn't compute. Rock With You is one of Michael's very best songs. Period. Across his entire discography. Don't Stop, Off The Wall, Workin' Day And Night are all spectacular. She's Our Of My Life is one of his best ballads. I Can't Help It is a brilliant song written by Stevie Wonder.

I just, I, I can't right now.

I guess I can sort of see this if you mostly grew up with Michael from Dangerous on. Off The Wall is still holding on to many Disco tropes, and was before his more hard-edged, heavily percussive, New Jack Swing up-tempo style he adopted from Dangerous onward (after splitting up with his producer up to this point, Quincy Jones).

But still, Off The Wall has so many banging tracks!

This, honestly, BLOWS MY MIND!! I can understand not being your favorite, but dead last?! This just doesn't compute. Rock With You is one of Michael's very best songs. Period. Across his entire discography. Don't Stop, Off The Wall, Workin' Day And Night are all spectacular. She's Our Of My Life is one of his best ballads. I Can't Help It is a brilliant song written by Stevie Wonder.

I just, I, I can't right now.

I guess I can sort of see this if you mostly grew up with Michael from Dangerous on. Off The Wall is still holding on to many Disco tropes, and was before his more hard-edged, heavily percussive, New Jack Swing up-tempo style he adopted from Dangerous onward (after splitting up with his producer up to this point, Quincy Jones).

But still, Off The Wall has so many banging tracks!
Rock with You is his best song, not just one of them.

Have this in my car at the moment. Such a good album.

For me;

1) Dangerous
2) Bad
3) Off the Wall
4) Thriller
5) Xscape
6) History

Though it's tough to rank so much greatness.

Air

Banned
Somewhere behind dangerous.and above invincible. It's nice. I like pretty much all the originals better than the remixes (a place with no name is my favorite). I wish it were longer though. You can tell sonyor whomever is in charge of releasing the music is trying to milk that vault.

Rock with You is his best song, not just one of them.
I'm gonna quote myself from the recent "What's your fav MJ song" thread:

It can really go either way for me. I think Rock With You is his best composed song. Each section of the song has a slightly different feel rhythmically (Chorus has 16th notes on the Hi-Hat, Verse 8th notes, Pre-Chorus on the up-beats, Bridge 16th's again but with accents on the up-beats again; this adds so much depth to the feel). Harmonically it's interesting. The lyric is very disco, but good nonetheless. His vocal is killer. And the overall arrangement, again while being very disco, is very full and varied. Such a funky, grooving song.

But his best overall Pop tune is definitely Billie Jean. Just how that song came together is pure perfection. I can't think of one thing I would change. That opening is just a standard rock beat. No frills, no riffs. Yet 9 times out of 10 if you hear a drummer play it, you're gonna think of this song. Then you hear the bass line and all doubt is erased. One of the best Pop bass lines of all time. This song just grooves too damn hard. That guitar part, especially during the Bridge/Instrumental is iconic. If you're gonna cover that song, you HAVE to play that guitar riff verbatim. All of his vocal ticks add to this song. Without them, his bravado wouldn't work. It's that attitude that makes the lyrics and the vocal line work. Just such a great, great song.

Billie Jean is just such an iconic song, that it transcends all of his other songs. Rock With You included. While it's not scientific, Billie Jean has over 55 million plays on Spotify, way more than any other song. While this doesn't necessarily go towards quality (though in this case I feel that it does), but it tells you just how much a hold on our collective psyche that song has. 50+ years from now, I bet that Billie Jean will be the song most people associate with him.

Plus, he didn't write Rock With You, but did write Billie Jean. So there's that.
I feel like Off the Wall is the Batman Begins to Thriller's The Dark Knight.
I can get down with this analogy.

Which is better: the posthumously produced versions, or MJ's original demos?
As far as Xscape:

Love Never Felt So Good, I like the new mix more, but that's primarily because the demo is just the vocals and piano (and the new mix just incorporates the demo in its entirety). It just transports you to 80's era MJ in a way we haven't experienced since then.
Chicago, I'm not a fan of either version, but prefer the demo more. Feel like it's a lot closer to how MJ would want it.
Loving You, I like the demo more. I feel like it's more appropriate for the song, but the new mix is a very good, very (very) modern take on it.
A Place With No Name, the demo a lot more. I really do not like the new mix. I don't know what they were thinking on that one.
Slave To The Rhythm, I like both. Feel the new mix is a good approximation of the demo.
Do You Know Where Your Children Are, not a big fan of the song, but feel like the original demo fit the song better.
Blue Gangster, I honestly feel the new mix is more appropriate. Its chorus is more full, less sparse. More busy, but it works for the song. And there is more contrast between the verses and chorus, which adds more variety in the arrangement, which I like.
Xscape, kinda the same deal as Blue Gangster. The demo sounds straight off Dangerous, but it also sounds too much like Dangerous (the song) to me.

The album itself is good, but it's too short if you compare it to the other albums. One thing I don´t like is that songs like Loving You would sound better with a slower tempo (IMO).

About the demos, I think they're not any good at all. They´re half done songs to begin with, they sound underproduced overall.

Jaroof

Pretty high. I love this album. Timbaland did a fantastic job with producing it.

My favorite tracks are Loving You, A Place With No Name, and Do You Know Where Your Children Are.

This, honestly, BLOWS MY MIND!!!
I really like Rock With You and Don't Stop Till You Get Enough, I just listen to OTW the least, hence last.

I don't know it just has this weird lounge singer thing going on. It's a solid album that showed off his promise as an artist but one that doesn't really do much for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom