• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Album of the Year 2016 RESULTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

Banned
Hello everyone! Thank you very much for voting in the album of the year voting thread! If you didn't get your list in, feel free to add yours to that thread - even though it won't count towards the voting tally it's still great to see more of GAF's diverse taste in music.

Thanks especially to those who provided quotes when submitting their lists. I've included those in the results!

Now, on to the results! 738 unique alums were voted for, but I'll only be counting down the top 50 (52 actually due to ties). Full list is at the end.

52 . Jessy Lanza | Oh No Points 17 Votes 5

Hard to top the debut but manages to be comparable with more confident vocal performances which leads to more interesting and diverse tracks. Huge Yellow Magic Orchestra influence in the Jeremy Greenspan production, and it was really nice to hear the Shangaan sound by the borrowing of Nozinja and using it to devastating effect on It Means I Love You. Title track comes out nowhere too, and delivers probably her best pop moment on the entire record.

51 . Thrice | To be Everywhere is To Be Nowhere Points 17 Votes 6
50 . Tycho | Epoch Points 17 Votes 5
49 . Carly Rae Jepsen | EMOTION Side B Points 18 Votes 9
48 . Cult Of Luna & Julie Christmas | Mariner Points 18 Votes 5

Song Sample: "The Wreck of SS Needle"

Mariner is a massive, pulsating beast. I'm actually not familiar with Julie Christmas' previous work, but her addition here perfects Cult of Luna's sound. Her vocals can be delicate and fragile at times, in contrast to the beating rhythms backing her, but at times she can go off course and become truly unhinged. The ebb and flow of the two is so masterfully done it can barely be described. The album is the sound of chaotic waves crashing against a ship. Actually most of the album is the anticipation of waves crashing against your ship. That's where this really shines. The buildup is immense, and the payoff is worth it.

Never heard about Julie Christmas, but Cult of Luna are one of my favourite bands. The music is undoubtly what you would expect from Cult of Luna. That lovely brand of hard hitting, melancholic sludge metal. Most of the vocals are by Julie and it took a while to get used to them. But they fit the music so well I wouldn't mind if she would become part of the band.

Cygnus (youtube)
Cygnus (bandcamp)

47 . Perfume | Cosmic Explorer Points 18 Votes 5
46 . Alcest | Kodama Points 19 Votes 5

Song Sample: "Kodama

One of the biggest surprises of 2014 was Alcest's Shelter album. They threw out all their old black metal influence and leaned hard into shoe gaze and produced something truly beautiful. With Kodama they're still heavily shoe gaze, but songwriter Neige has introduced more of those black metal elements they were known for before, and the combination still works wonderfully. It's an album that feels bright and hopeful, but still manages to reach down to the depth of darkness when it needs to. The album is also influenced by Japanese culture, as you can see by the cover, but that continues into the sound, too. While you won't find a shamisen here, you can distinctly make out notes that would feel familiar with that particular instrument. Much like Shelter before it, Kodama feels like a deeply spiritual experience. When I put on the headphones or crank this on the speakers it transports me somewhere else, and not too many albums can do that.

45 . Gojira | Magma Points 19 Votes 5
44 . Kaytranada | 99.9% Points 19 Votes 6
43 . M83 | Junk Points 20 Votes 6
42 . Perturbator | The Uncanny Valley Points 20 Votes 7
41 . The Dear Hunter | Act V: Hymns with the Devil in Confessional Points 20 Votes 4

When a friend showed me The Dear Hunter for the first time, I wasn't quite sure what to think. Here was this band with a complex 6 album story arc which hadn't even been fully released yet. When Act IV dropped last year, I started to get into them a bit more, and when Casey said that they were releasing Act V this year, I started to think it might not be of the same quality. I was so wrong. If you haven't listened to this band yet, I implore you to give them a shot.
Standout tracks: Light; Gloria

40 . Deakin | Sleep Cycle Points 21 Votes 7

Deakin's infamously delayed solo album is finally out, and it turns out it was worth the wait because as far as I'm concerned it's the best Animal Collective-related release since Merriweather Post Pavilion and possibly the best AnCo solo outing since Person Pitch. Every track boasts excellent songwriting and production that is often reminiscent of Animal Collective's earlier work, like Sung Tongs and Feels. The tracks range from mellow and relaxed ("Golden Chords") to noisy and energetic ("Footy"). Deakin got a lot of hate for dragging his feet on this album for so long, so now it's time for him to get the recognition he deserves.

39 . Whitney | Light Upon the Lake Points 22 Votes 8
38 . Metallica | Hardwired...to Self Destruct Points 24 Votes 7

Gotta admit, they stepped up, after a sad mixing on Death Magnetic and that piece of crap called Lulu. Metallica is back!, they finally made an album worth listening from beginning to end. ManUNkind, Hardwired, Atlas Rise, Now that we're dead, are standouts, like serious hits standouts.

I can't wait to see them live because of this album, it feels like everything is done right and I enjoyed this.

37 . NxWorries | Yes Lawd! Points 24 Votes 8
36 . Aesop Rock | The Impossible Kid Points 25 Votes 7
35 . Anohni | Hopelessness Points 25 Votes 9
34 . Japanese Breakfast | Psychopomp Points 25 Votes 10

A breathtaking solo release from Michelle Zauner, frontwoman of Little Big League. The production is wonderfully lush and dreamy throughout, and Zauner's knack for writing perfect pop songs will guarantee that pretty much every track will be stuck in your head for days. The album also features an impressive fusion of upbeat danceable pop and more solemn, introspective themes. There's the ridiculously catchy and saccharine "Everybody Wants to Love You," but also the slow and beautiful "Jane Cum," plus tracks that hit somewhere between the two extremes like the gorgeous opener, "In Heaven." The album's heavier themes are infused with a great sense of humor, with "Everybody Wants to Love You" probably being the most obvious example with its playfully crude lyrics. All of these factors come together to create what is pretty much a pop masterpiece.

33 . The Hotelier | Goodness Points 25 Votes 8

Quite a reversal in tone from their previous work, Goodness is the most hopeful album from The Hotelier yet. Love the way that songs flow into one another.
Standout tracks: Soft Animal, Piano Player

32 . Jeff Rosenstock | Worry Points 26 Votes 7

Lulzwagon said:
Essentially Anxiety: the album. Jeff Rosenstock writes lyrics like nobody else that are sad, hilarious and instantly relatable. Plus the songs rule.

Probably the guy's best solo work yet to be perfectly honest. The hits keep coming on it and it works all so well. Flows from one song to the next with such a frenetic pace that I can't help but listen to it all.

31 . Rihanna | ANTI Points 27 Votes 9
30 . Frank Ocean | Endless Points 28 Votes 8
29 . Kero Kero Bonito | Bonito Generation Points 29 Votes 10

Makes Intro Bonito sound like a tossed-off collection of leftovers, which it actually kind of is. Bonito Generation is relentlessly upbeat, often goofy, and never very far from another killer hook. It's the album you always hoped Kero Kero Bonito would make. (Trampoline, Lipslap)

The genres and mixtures of cultures on this is almost overwhelming: 90's Europop nonsense, J-Pop hyper-saccharine, 80's City Pop, UK Garage and Bass, EDM, Chiptune, Deadpan english raps, DIY indie groups etc. The most charming thing about KKB is that there isn't a single song here that is about "being in love". We've got Trampolining, taking Selfies, annoying songs that get stuck in your head, taking a break, and graduation ceremonies.And in the case of Trampoline, they take the theme and take it all to the Nth degree - bouncy synth-lines, every lyrical trope on reaching the top and falling down - sometimes it's just on that border of annoying but I think it just falls the right side due to the infectious and obviously over-the-top delivery ("But that's okay, there's a TRAMPOLINE waiting for you!")

Bonito Generation is the antidote of 2016, the most joyous pop album of year.

I certainly didn't expect to have this at number 25, but I've had it on repeat long enough that it would be unfair not to. It's just a straightforwardly fun album. The beats are creative and cartoony without ever getting super weird, and Sarah Midori Perry's lyrics are playful and somehow simple, despite being bilingual. Some deeper meaning can be read into some of the tracks, such as "Try Me" being a critique of the job market or "Picture This" focusing on today's selfie-obsessed generation, but even then the band never specifically condemns any of the subject matter, making the album enjoyable as just simple fun well-made pop.

28 . Leonard Cohen | You Want It Darker Points 31 Votes 10
27 . Isaiah Rashad I The Sun's Tirade Points 32 Votes 11
26 . ScHoolboy Q | Blankface LP Points 34 Votes 13
25 . Parquet Courts | Human Performance Points 36 Votes 11

Still maintaining that somewhat apathetic attitude, but sounding a touch less raucous. It's allowed for the songwriting to come to the fore. Impressively simple songs rub shoulders with some more nuanced tracks which are not afraid to be a little stripped down. It's very much like The Saints later LPs, once they calmed a little.

24 . Death Grips | Bottomless Pit Points 38 Votes 13
23 . Nicolas Jaar | Sirens Points 38 Votes 12
22 . Noname | Telefone Points 40 Votes 10
21 . Young Thug | Jeffrey Points 42 Votes 14
20 . James Blake | The Colour in Anything Points 49 Votes 17
19 . Chance the Rapper | Coloring Book Points 56 Votes 18
18 . Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds | Skeleton Tree Points 57 Votes 15
17 . Mitski | Puberty 2 Points 59 Votes 18

Mitski's songwriting skills continue to improve, and Puberty 2 is full of songs that are equally catchy and heartbreaking. There's the excellent noisy lead single "Your Best American Girl," the lo-fi rock "My Body's Made of Crushed Little Stars" that juxtaposes the wonder of existence with the mundanity of everyday life, and the utterly depressing yet beautiful "I Bet on Losing Dogs." It's all pretty melancholy, but it's delivered in a variety of styles that all make for enjoyable listening.

16 . Run the Jewels | Run the Jewels 3 Points 63 Votes 17
15 . Car Seat Headrest | Teens of Denial Points 66 Votes 21

A driving indie rock album that never gets stale despite containing some fairly long tracks and totaling well over an hour. Most tracks feel like they could be quick three-minute 90s indie rock affairs, while actually lasting ten minutes or more and changing enough throughout to keep the listener interested. The tone of the album ranges from mellow to harsh and loud, but the flow makes these shifts work well.

14 . Childish Gambino | Awaken My Love Points 68 Votes 21

Lulzwagon said:
I had no idea how I would feel about this album but it really is something else. Gambino can do funkadelic and prog. Who could have guessed.

13 . The Avalanches | Wildflower Points 70 Votes 19
12 . Anderson Paak | Malibu Points 75 Votes 25
11 . Kendrick Lamar I Untitled Unmastered Points 78 Votes 29
10 . Beyoncé | Lemonade Points 80 Votes 22

homepage_large.34791a57.jpg

One of the strongest statements this year in music. Beyonce has reached that point where it doesn't matter if she sells albums or not, and because of her unique influence she brought to the fore issues facing black women in US. She delivers an album full of some great moments, co-written with some of the most interesting producers of the moment. It's still rare for pop to deliver such a obvious singular vision from an artist. The visual film is just a staggering work of art and is by far the best way to enjoy this project.

9 . Bon Iver | 22, a Million Points 93 Votes 31

homepage_large.985e010a.jpg

This album took a bit to click with me, but the moment on 29 #Strafford APTS where Justin Vernon's voice gets all warbly just spoke to me. I was driving back from my girlfriend's school (which is a 3 hour drive) and the album just encapsulated how I was feeling in the moment. That was when I knew that this album was going to be high on my list at the end of the year. For Emma, Forever Ago is on my all-time list, and 22, a Million is making moves.
Standout tracks: 10 d E A T h b R E a s T ⚄ ⚄; 29 #Strafford APTS

- The first time I heard 22 (OVER S∞∞N) I listened to it about 10 times on repeat. The haunting feel, the cold sound to the lyrics, and yet how approachable it felt . . the album doesn't stop for me.

8 . Angel Olsen | MY WOMAN Points 95 Votes 26

homepage_large.b536a49e.jpg

As on her previous album, Burn Your Fire for No Witness, Angel Olsen concocts an expertly realized mix of poppy, catchy rock tunes and slower, more introspective tracks. The difference this time is that while Burn Your Fire's sad tunes were generally slow and quiet, My Woman draws them out into fully fleshed-out ballads that bring just as much aural intensity as the rock songs while still packing an emotional punch - more so, in fact, thanks to Olsen's improved songwriting skills and the impressive ways tracks like "Sister" and "Woman" build to powerful crescendos. So overall, I would call this a better album than Burn Your Fire, and I awarded that album my number one spot in 2014. So naturally, Olsen comes out on top again.

A very classicist rock album, which is also quite unfashionable these times: the 90s grunge-pop revival here takes the backseat to long, rather elaborate, 70s influenced songs. She already had a great voice, now she found the songwriting and the album is structured really well.

7 . Solange | A Seat at the Table Points 117 Votes 30

homepage_large.f4b40c2b.jpg

6 . Kanye West | The Life of Pablo Points 140 Votes 38

homepage_large.1192269b.jpg

- No More Parties in LA. Real Friends. FML. Wolves. Fade. Ultra Light beam. Pt. 2. Waves. I feel like that's all I ever need to say. This album is uneven, atrocious in a few spots, but the high are so high it overcomes the lows.

This is my second most listened album of 2016, no joke, it's catchy, it's a mess, but only a crazy genius like Kanye could have released this with DLC included, yes, he talks mad shit sometimes, but this album with the exception of 2 skippables is amazing. Just, gonna listen to this album again.

5 . Danny Brown | Atrocity Exhibition Points 176 Votes 46

homepage_large.7d68020e.jpg

4 . David Bowie | Blackstar Points 240 Votes 55

homepage_large.1a2fb918.jpg

After reconsidering everything about my Top 10 albums of the year, this is my top pick, it's just a smart and dark album and the best sendoff that Bowie could have, he knew about his incoming death, he made an album with that theme, he dropped hints to everyone, and no one noticed and now that he died we realized "this is a great album".

Kudos to Bowie for this one, he may rest in peace.

Song Sample: "Lazarus"

Unfortunately we had to say goodbye to David Bowie in 2016, but he left us one of the best farewell messages we could ever ask for from a musical artist. It's one of his crowning achievements and possibly my favorite Bowie album ever. The song Lazarus in particular could probably be my song of the year. The album is daring in a way that feels risky even for Bowie. It's progressive and pushed boundaries the way I love with both his music and music in general. As with most of Bowie's career, he also managed to get some magnificent artists in to play his music, too. I'm never really sure where the line is between his own writing and what his session musicians put in, but most of the time I don't care so much because it's always so good.

David Bowie looks back on a stellar (no pun intended...?) career in his final album, released just days before his death. Blackstar is more experimental than anything he had done in quite a while, and for my money it's his best album since Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps). And that's without even considering the impact Bowie's tragic death had on the album's dark themes in retrospect. Listening to the album when it came out, I already loved it. When Bowie died, however, it became that much more incredible; it was Bowie's parting message to the world, a way of transcending death by looking it straight in the eye and molding it into art. The most heavily promoted tracks, "Blackstar" and "Lazarus," seem to be two sides of the same coin. "Blackstar" is about David Bowie, the glamorous rock star, the legend, Ziggy, the Duke, Major Tom, and the legacy he left behind. "Lazarus" is about David Jones the man, the mortal, a confessional track about his fears and insecurities in the face of death. It is this juxtaposition of the two sides of Bowie's life that makes his self-awareness and determination in the face of death so admirable.

3 . Frank Ocean | Blonde Points 250 Votes 59

homepage_large.5f06f7f6.jpg

The first time that I listened to this album was the day after a huge house party that I hosted. I saw it posted on Gaf that the album was out on Apple Music and I rushed to tell my hung over housemate who's a huge Frank Ocean fan. We hooked up my phone to a speaker that was still plugged in, and we listened to the whole thing front to back. Halfway through, my other housemate's mom who barely speaks English came in and remarked that we listened to good music.
That day is seared into my brain, and over time, the album itself was too. More than any other album in 2016, Blonde spoke to me. If I was having a bad day, turn on Blonde. If homework was driving me up the wall, put on Frankie. If I was walking down the street, start bumping Pink + White.

It's just that good. Also, The vinyl needs to get here yesterday.
Standout tracks: Pink + White; Solo;
everything but Facebook Story (why Frank?)

2 . Radiohead | A Moon Shaped Pool Points 258 Votes 63

homepage_large.e3c43867.jpg

I've been a fan of Radiohead for about 10 years now and this is probably the most warm and inviting album that they've ever released. After some highly experimental and sometimes impenetrable releases it feels like Radiohead have finally opened up a bit. It's just great to hear guitar in a Radiohead song again, and the orchestral arrangements by Jonny Greenwood are a wonderful addition.

Stand Out Tracks:
Ful Stop
Daydreaming

Song Sample: "Identikit"

Just before A Moon Shaped Pool came out there were rumors of a more string oriented album, and I told myself that would probably be the perfect sound for new Radiohead. As a wonderful non-surprise, because of those rumors, the album did indeed turn out to have a major emphasis on the strings. It's their crowning achievement in that area, and manages to carve out a space among the giants of Radiohead's discography because of that.

Radiohead's latest outing proves that they've still got it even after some 25 years in the business. Many of the tracks on the album are ones we've heard in live performances, or at least heard of, but hearing them fully produced and with Jonny Greenwood's excellent use of strings through makes it a thoroughly new experience regardless. I didn't dislike The King of Limbs as much as a lot of other fans did, but I would still consider this an excellent "return to form."

1 . A Tribe Called Quest | We Got It From Here.....Thank You 4 Your Service Points 270 Votes 64

homepage_large.98b81f8d.jpg

A magnificent send-off to one of the most iconic hip-hop groups of all time, and in particular to Phife Dawg in the wake of his tragic passing. Who would have guessed that they'd return back at the top of their game and craft one of their strongest releases yet after all these years? On top of being great musically, We Got It From Here is also uncannily relevant thematically. Coming out immediately after the US Presidential election, the album provided a catharsis that I think we all needed, expressing our frustration with recent events but also offering hope for the future.

This album came out at the perfect time. It feels like Tribe modernized, but not too much. Hits especially hard with Phife gone. Feels like an album we didn't deserve, but got anyways.
Standout Tracks: Space Program; Black Spasmodic

Here is the full list.

LionPride

Banned
The Life of Pablo and 22, A Million are above Malibu

I loved both of those albums, but no. Malibu was honestly the best album of the year

Besides that I like the Top 10, I haven't listened to Blackstar, the Angel Olsen album, or Radiohead well because, I don't like Radiohead. The other two just because

Between this and the Gaf hop ranking, most people enjoyed TLOP way more than I did. I didn't hate it but I stopped listening to it completely about a month after it came out.

Servbot24

Banned
I think the top 10 is pretty good, even though Tribe is the only one that's actually in my personal top 10. Bon Iver is the only one of those that I don't like.

New Metallica album is one of the most half-baked generic garbage album ever. Just like every else Metallica has released since 1991.
"Atlas Rise" is a pretty fun tune, but I really don't care for the rest :[

I wanted to be excited for it too, because goddamn everyone else was, but yeah. Once the first single dropped i knew it wasn't going to appeal to me.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
No PUP and no Owen are my only regrets for not filling out one of these myself.

I probable would have had them at 4 and 7 respectively.

Never listened to Owen, guess I'll have to check it out. PuP was my clear number one last year, I still haven't stopped listening.

Ekai

Surprised my comment on an album got in there, heh.
Cool to see the results all the same. Would love to see the full ones later.

Edit: OH, it was posted.

Double edit: So, wait, OP says 788 albums but the full list has 738? Typo, I assume?

Never listened to Owen, guess I'll have to check it out. PuP was my clear number one last year, I still haven't stopped listening.

Haha, well, Owen is very different, but I think you might enjoy him from a singer-songwriter perspective. Mike Kinsella a bit of a sardonic dick, but also explores adulthood and parenthood without being sentimental. Hopefully you dig it (if you haven't listened to "At Home with Owen," that is the go-to Owen album.)

Edit: and he's a damn solid guitarist in the "non-showoffy" way

I didn't think Teens Of Denial was anything special compared to Car Seat Headrests old stuff. I couldn't even make it through the 10 minute song once.

Ekai

If I counted right, over 578 albums were only mentioned once. Making for 160 albums that were at the bare minimum voted on twice. Most of those being in the top 133. I'm probs slightly off but that's a staggering amount of unique album mentions.

#Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom