• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity available for free on the NA eShop, starting today (Wii U)

L~A

From the weekly Nintendo PR:

Disney Infinity – For the first time, Disney Infinity is available in the Nintendo eShop – and it’s free to download. Enjoy online multiplayer and more fun ways to play. Use your Wii U GamePad controller to create your own worlds in the Toy Box or activate missions and unlock toys in Play Sets. With Disney Infinity, the possibilities are endless. (A Disney Infinity Figure and Base, sold separately, are required to play the downloadable version of the game.)

Basically, if you got a toy and the base, you can simply download the game for free on the eShop. If you can get that stuff from a friend, you can get a free copy of the game.

I wonder if Nintendo will even allow Activision and Disney to use the Wii U Pad's built-in NFC at some point or whether or not the NFC technologies are even compatible.

Can Skylanders and Infinity figures work on the other product's base?

Ecto311

Can't you lock in characters from the other systems to your account? I think it does that for ipad play. Then just log in and go from there. Would be nice to use the 360 pad since it's USB or the wiiu built in NFC for this.

L~A

I wonder if Nintendo will even allow Activision and Disney to use the Wii U Pad's built-in NFC at some point or whether or not the NFC technologies are even compatible.

Publishers are already free to use the NFC chip of the GamePad, and unless I'm mistaken, it's always been the case. But they seem to prefer using their own proprietary system, maybe for convenience, and most assuredly for the $$$.

Chairhome

No.

---

I'm guessing this lets anyone do the Toy Box building, kind of like the PC version. I'm actually planning on selling my Wii U base when I get the 2.0 version, so this is good.

LOCK

Oh shit, this is great. I can download the game on my Wii U using my nephews base!

Genius move really.

This really helps my "not wanting to ever play disney infinity because wonderful 101 is the disc in the tray and I refuse to ever take it out" condition that I have developed.

I was wondering if we would ever get a digital version of one of these. I understand why they dont do it on day 1, but i'd love to be able to buy the retail box with a digital code in it.

This is basically that. This is great

Does it come with Club Nintendo coins?

I wonder if this is how Disney will keep the old figures value and drive interest in the next version of the game and expand the audience to people who may only be interested in one or two characters and not want to get the ones with the boxed release.

What is the base for? Doesn't the gamepad have NFC built-in?
Its basically guitar hero instruments all over again. Could easily be compatible or have a standard but have made the decision not to.

In the case of Activision/Disney the figure can always stay on their portal (plus some of them do things like light up) which is not practical to do with the Gamepad. It also means no mishaps of forgetting to sync the character save data back to the figurine (a thing many people forgot to do with Pokemon Rumble U).

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It kind of sounds like they're turning Disney Infinity F2P.
Only the stuff that costs money is actually real.

Also I hope they do this for 2.0... This is the kind of game my kids play for 15-20 minut s and get board... Changing the discs to play this is a pain and mine is destroyed from my kids trying to do that...

I don't see why the dev can't make this a free download for all versions and platforms since you need the base and a toy at a minimum to do the toy box and a playsets piece if you wish to play the game at all.

Malio

$20 for the base and $15 for a character?

nothankyou.gif

This is just why I didn't buy this or Skylanders in the first place.

Mr-Joker

Banned

They stated at E3 that they can, and that they plan to have cross compatibly with Amiibo should Disney and Activision put the Amiibo chip in their figures.

So my dream of Elsa being in Nintendo games could happen. :D

$20 for the base and $15 for a character?

nothankyou.gif

This is just why I didn't buy this or Skylanders in the first place.

They're half off all the time.

Last Black Friday not even two weeks after the game came out, the starter set was $70->$35. (EDIT: Mixed up date, 3 months)

Platy

Too bad each figure here costs almost 3 times the price of one in dolars =/

ok, I might bite the bullet and buy that base and some Guardians of the Galaxy figures =/

nintendo is going to broke me with the Amiibo stuff

Guardians of the Galaxy is for the sequel.

SerTapTap

This would be a pretty sweet hook...if you could use the gamepad's NFC. Then you just buy one figure and try it out. I'm sure that's still out of the question though.

Anirask

Neo Member
I wonder if the 360's base will work with the Wii U version. I'm going to have to try this tonight. My kids love that gamepad.

I wonder if the 360's base will work with the Wii U version. I'm going to have to try this tonight. My kids love that gamepad.

I'm fairly sure it won't due to MS's requirements. The 360's base isn't forward compatible with the Xbox One.

Are the toys going to be compatible with Disney Infinity 2?

Everything but the world playsets (likely due to space requirements) are forward compatible

FoneBone

I believe they actually did this with the PC version a while back. Curious that they're not doing it on PS3 or 360 yet, though maybe that has something to do with eShop policies.

Platy

what? there is a sequel? oh well, my wallet thanks you then

TE6R6V6.jpg

Donald, Stich, Mulan, Aladdin, Merida.... all the disney characters that are worth it and all the Marvel characters

Javier

So, what is exactly this game about? I want the Sorcerer Mickey figure, but how much of the game can I play if I only own that?

Burai

shitonmychest57
Publishers are already free to use the NFC chip of the GamePad, and unless I'm mistaken, it's always been the case. But they seem to prefer using their own proprietary system, maybe for convenience, and most assuredly for the $$$.

No, it's for cross platform toys. If they use the Wii NFC, they have to make a whole separate set of toys for one platform. By having a universal base you can take your toys with you from platform to platform.

My friends' kids have taken their Skylanders from DS to Wii to 3DS to PS4. As a parent myself, the idea of expensive toys being forward compatible makes me less terrified of the day my daughter decides she wants these games too.

Top Bottom