• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity available for free on the NA eShop, starting today (Wii U)

Briarios

Bases will be extremely cheap to come by in a month when 2.0 comes out -- I have the game for the PS3, and the base works on my Wii U -- so, when I get the PS4 Marvel version, I (and 100,000 other people) will have an extra base.

There is a lot of great stuff about Infinity -- and a lot of bad. From all I've read, tons has been fixed in the Toy Box this time around. That being said, when I was testing out the Wii U version vs. my PS3 version this morning, I lost half an hour puttering around in an old world I built. So, there is fun to be had -- they always have new toy boxes to download, too -- a lot aren't very good, but some are well done.

Edit: for those thinking about 2.0, here's the official compatibility chart:

disney_infinity_compatibility_chart.png

Briarios

Are there any pre-order goodies out there for 2.0?

A lot of places are giving you a free figure of your choice if you pre-order, I went with the Infinity 2.0 Marvel Premium Value Pack on Amazon because you save like $35 by getting the bundle. I hate bundles where there is no actual savings, but with this you pretty much get the Spider-man playset for free -- and you'll have a bunch of characters.

Edit: guess I should say what it includes: Includes Starter Pack, Spider-Man Play Set, Captain America, Venom, Rocket Raccoon, and a Disc Pack for $119.99 which is 24% off.

So I figure out by just turning the damn TV on that the audio is fine, but there's no audio from the GamePad, it supports Off-TV right? How's the audio in that as like I said, when you don't have the base, it seems like no audio is coming out of the GamePad for me.

CamHostage

I'm still not sure I understand the plan here, because the only Disney Infinity 2.0 product they're selling is Disney Infinity Marvel Super Heroes. I thought they were going to just bring up the base, that "Disney Infinity" would be this app that would jump from 1.0 to 2.0, and each disc would have its own story content but the ecosphere was one big app. But if what they're giving away is specifically Disney Infinity 1.0 (and if not, why launch it now when the new game and new content is right around the corner?,) then how's this going to work?

I guess LBP had the same issue a bit (LittleBigPlanet Hub would have brought that all in a line, as I understand it) but that at least made sense as a box that you go buy every sequel, and the up-ver/down-ver compatibility was laid out sensibly, plus each generation's content was appealing to the same audience. If Disney Infinity 2.0 doesn't launch as its own application, the only way to get it is the Marvel Super Heroes box. And as much as I understand the appeal of the Marvel universe, that's not really my primary interest if I'm going to get into Disney Infinity.

{EDIT: Or wait, Briarios, is this actually the 2.0 ToyBox?}

I'm still not sure I understand the plan here, because the only Disney Infinity 2.0 product they're selling is Disney Infinity Marvel Super Heroes. I thought they were going to just bring up the base, that "Disney Infinity" would be this app that would jump from 1.0 to 2.0, and each disc would have its own story content but the ecosphere was one big app. But if what they're giving away is specifically Disney Infinity 1.0 (and if not, why launch it now when the new game and new content is right around the corner?,) then how's this going to work?

I guess LBP had the same issue a bit (LittleBigPlanet Hub would have brought that all in a line, as I understand it) but that at least made sense as a box that you go buy. If Disney Infinity 2.0 doesn't launch as its own application, the only way to get it is the Marvel Super Heroes box, and as much as I understand the appeal of the Marvel universe, that's not really my primary interest if I'm going to get into Disney Infinity.

{EDIT: Or wait, Briarios, is this actually the 2.0 ToyBox?}

2.0 isn't even out yet. :p

celebi23

Are people still getting Club Nintendo coins for this free version? I downloaded it awhile ago but, it's still not showing up in my To-Do section on Club Nintendo.

CamHostage

2.0 isn't even out yet. :p

I know 2.0 the game isn't out yet, but he's talking about changes to the Toy Box mode, I couldn't tell if the differences were in the download he played or just what he read from impressions.

As I understand it, Disney Infinity is A) a Toy Box app where all your content comes together, and B) a series of pre-designed adventures using your toys and playsets. So Disney Infinity 1.0 was the past game disc and all the 1.0 toys; Disney Infinity 2.0 was the new game disc, the inherited content from 1.0 (which would only be what the old toys unlock in the new game, so not the old story but yes the old character and the playsets have ToyBox integration, just not their story material), and all the toys from 2.0 and 1.0.

And the thing is, the only way to get 2.0 (which has new characters and toys, not just the Marvel stuff; Three Musketeers Donald Duck is a 2.0 toy, so it will not be compatible with 1.0) is through the new Marvel pack.

If they're going to release Disney Infinity as an ala carte app, just give away the ToyBox to everybody who has a base and a toy (just as they do on iTunes, because the whole point is to get people to go buy the toys, the app does nothing until you plug a toy into it,) it'd make sense to launch the "2.0 version" of the Disney Infinity ecosphere/application here. But I'm not sure if that's what happened, and the Nintendo description makes no mention of this application being compatible with Disney Infinity 2.0 toys or Power Discs.

(...In fact, the site specifically mentions the three playsets already available in the 1.0 product line for both Toy Box and active Mission play, so it can't be the 2.0 app since these playsets only unlock Toy Box features in the 2.0 product line.)

CamHostage

...Answering my own question.

Sounds like there are both Marvel Super Hero and Toy Box Starter Packs of Disney Infinity 2.0. (I think the Toy Box release is new because neither Amazon not GameStop have anything concrete on it despite shipping in about three months.) The Marvel Starter Pack will be available September 23rd, the Toy Box Starter Pack will be released on November 4; all five platforms (with retail releases) will get both packages.

The Marvel starter comes with Thor, Iron Man and Black Widow; the Toy Box Starter Pack includes Brave's Merida and Stitch from Lilo & Stitch.

https://infinity.disney.com/getting-started
packaging-en-us-fe1e45d53b6115dc531c32b6040ba60d.png

packaging-en-us-812e128b46791d6a0af289b25d2ad3ee.png

There is also a download plan for free starter apps on iPad, PC and Windows 8.

No mention of digital app-only releases on any of the other consoles, for 1.0 or otherwise. The Wii U eShop release of Disney Infinity is described as a "Disney Infinity Upgrade for Wii U".

(Also missing is any mention of the Vita game, which is supposed to be Marvel Super Heroes but has yet to be detailed out as far as what it'll be and how it can be bought.)

Are people still getting Club Nintendo coins for this free version? I downloaded it awhile ago but, it's still not showing up in my To-Do section on Club Nintendo.
I don't think anyone actually got any coins out of this. I certainly didn't. If someone did, they aren't talking.

jobrro

The advantage I can see is that people who haven't purchased the original Disney Infinity and are interested in 2.0 will be able to use the base from 2.0 and presumable purchase the figures from the original game.

I could be remembering incorrectly, but when Disney Infinity was first coming out I remember them talking about it like as newer iterations were released the game would just keep updating and consumers would be able to access the new content by purchasing new sets or figures. The only console this wouldn't really be possible is the OG Wii due to lack of disc space. Not having to switch between versions to play certain play sets would be much better.

It'd make a lot of sense IMO for them to at least release the game digitally for 'free' on all platforms, with the requirement of the base/figures/play sets for much of the functionality. This would at least save a dreaded disc swap.

Now Nintendo need to partner up with Disney on making some figures compatible with each other's game.

Nintendo passed on Skylanders apparently. Guess they wanted to use their own stuff and do their own things with them.

However, I think if there was ever a team-up, it'd probably be with Nintendo considering all the promos and special editions they've done with Nintendo consoles.

I'm interested to see if Skylanders offers their own games on Wii U eshop as a free download. I'm not sure how DI works, but the new portal for the 3rd Skylanders game works with the other 2 if im not mistaken. Releasing Giants and Spyro's Adventure on the eshop as free downloads could be great for publicity for the new games.

Nintendo wasn't sure of the potential back then enough to commit to exclusivity.

And the Toy Box Starter Pack was just announced within the past week.

Nintendo passed on Skylanders apparently. Guess they wanted to use their own stuff and do their own things with them.

However, I think if there was ever a team-up, it'd probably be with Nintendo considering all the promos and special editions they've done with Nintendo consoles.

I'm interested to see if Skylanders offers their own games on Wii U eshop as a free download. I'm not sure how DI works, but the new portal for the 3rd Skylanders game works with the other 2 if im not mistaken. Releasing Giants and Spyro's Adventure on the eshop as free downloads could be great for publicity for the new games.

Trap Team will have a free Wii U voucher if you buy the Wii version on Amazon I believe,

Would LOVE that voucher. :p

Edit: Yep.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JJ17I56/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Includes free download for Wii U console.

CamHostage

The advantage I can see is that people who haven't purchased the original Disney Infinity and are interested in 2.0 will be able to use the base from 2.0 and presumable purchase the figures from the original game...

It'd make a lot of sense IMO for them to at least release the game digitally for 'free' on all platforms, with the requirement of the base/figures/play sets for much of the functionality. This would at least save a dreaded disc swap.

Sure. That makes sense to me, and that's what I assumed they were doing here. But it isn't. They're releasing the 1.0 "version" as a Wii U game, and only on the Wii U. It'd make more sense to release the 2.0 Toy Box, and also to do it for all the platforms.

Except for the playsets (and the adjoining stories,) 2.0 apparently does everything 1.0 does. (And I totally agree, what's the point of this 'everlasting Disney Infinity universe' if you need the old discs for the playsets? Put the old playset storylines on the new discs or online and let us shelve the old discs.) So I'm just confused why this 1.0 app, why so late, and why only Wii U?

But whatever, at least they're selling access to the 2.0 ecosphere in a Disney package as well as the Marvel package. Now at least I feel like there is a proper inroad to get a 2.0 version of Disney Infinity without having to buy the Marvel characters I am not personally interested in collecting.

Briarios

I know 2.0 the game isn't out yet, but he's talking about changes to the Toy Box mode, I couldn't tell if the differences were in the download he played or just what he read from impressions.

As I understand it, Disney Infinity is A) a Toy Box app where all your content comes together, and B) a series of pre-designed adventures using your toys and playsets. So Disney Infinity 1.0 was the past game disc and all the 1.0 toys; Disney Infinity 2.0 was the new game disc, the inherited content from 1.0 (which would only be what the old toys unlock in the new game, so not the old story but yes the old character and the playsets have ToyBox integration, just not their story material), and all the toys from 2.0 and 1.0.

And the thing is, the only way to get 2.0 (which has new characters and toys, not just the Marvel stuff; Three Musketeers Donald Duck is a 2.0 toy, so it will not be compatible with 1.0) is through the new Marvel pack.

If they're going to release Disney Infinity as an ala carte app, just give away the ToyBox to everybody who has a base and a toy (just as they do on iTunes, because the whole point is to get people to go buy the toys, the app does nothing until you plug a toy into it,) it'd make sense to launch the "2.0 version" of the Disney Infinity ecosphere/application here. But I'm not sure if that's what happened, and the Nintendo description makes no mention of this application being compatible with Disney Infinity 2.0 toys or Power Discs.

(...In fact, the site specifically mentions the three playsets already available in the 1.0 product line for both Toy Box and active Mission play, so it can't be the 2.0 app since these playsets only unlock Toy Box features in the 2.0 product line.)

Yes, I was talking about the new Toy Box 2.0 that's coming out ... It will be much easier to make games in the new 2.0 in your own Toy Box, you can procedurally generate worlds to make things go faster, and things unlock much easier and NOT randomly. The original Infinity had a horrible unlock system. There will be a digital download of 2.0 for those that don't want to rebuy everything, but I've heard nothing about pricing.

Oh, and there will be some character crossover in the new 2.0. In the old play sets, you could only play with designated characters -- in the new one, some characters can play in other sets: like Rocket can play in the Avengers set, and Nova can play in the Guardians set.

They also have new Toy Box game pieces that allow you to play pre-made games in the Toy Box with any character.

unbias

DI is pretty cool, but most definitely not as good as Skylanders. I might be a bit bias though, as I've played Skylanders with friends.

CamHostage

Yes, I was talking about the new Toy Box 2.0 that's coming out ... It will be much easier to make games in the new 2.0 in your own Toy Box, you can procedurally generate worlds to make things go faster, and things unlock much easier and NOT randomly. The original Infinity had a horrible unlock system. There will be a digital download of 2.0 for those that don't want to rebuy everything, but I've heard nothing about pricing.

Oh, and there will be some character crossover in the new 2.0. In the old play sets, you could only play with designated characters -- in the new one, some characters can play in other sets: like Rocket can play in the Avengers set, and Nova can play in the Guardians set.

They also have new Toy Box game pieces that allow you to play pre-made games in the Toy Box with any character.

Sounds good. I'm a Vita man so I missed out on Disney Infinity the first time around, but I'll be getting it when the portable version eventually arrives, and I'm liking the new product even better than what I saw of the 1.0 Disney Infinity.

I just thought it'd make sense, since the Toy Box 2.0 is possibly already done (maybe they're still working on it, but I would guess by now resources would mostly be into new story/character 'DLC' toy content development instead of core engine work,) they'd kick it out now. Otherwise, like I said, why only Wii U and why so late?

(I'm not crazy, the Wii U 1.0 Starter Pack wasn't canceled, right?)

But all of that is a minor curiosity. It just wigged me out to try to figure out Disney Interactive's logic.

i wonder how this deal came about?

is this because 2.0 does not support he old play set so no problem giving it out free and sell more toys for it and get new people to jump into 2.0 when it launches?

M3d10n

Since the game is useless without the base, seems the eShop version is more of a convenience for current owners so they don't need to switch discs.

Briarios

Sounds good. I'm a Vita man so I missed out on Disney Infinity the first time around, but I'll be getting it when the portable version eventually arrives, and I'm liking the new product even better than what I saw of the 1.0 Disney Infinity.

I just thought it'd make sense, since the Toy Box 2.0 is possibly already done (maybe they're still working on it, but I would guess by now resources would mostly be into new story/character 'DLC' toy content development instead of core engine work,) they'd kick it out now. Otherwise, like I said, why only Wii U and why so late?

(I'm not crazy, the Wii U 1.0 Starter Pack wasn't canceled, right?)

But all of that is a minor curiosity. It just wigged me out to try to figure out Disney Interactive's logic.

It's not really a bad idea when you think about it ... if people buy the new game, they can get 1.0 for free -- so, Disney can keep selling the play sets & make money. The toys are where the profit is anyway. It also adds value to upgrading to the Wii U for people that have invested in the Wii & Infinity.

Whoa! Very cool.

I lost interest in Infinity after a couple months (even the best Playsets were vaguely lame and the Toy Box mode straight-up sucked), but with this news I'll just give my base/figures to my sister who has a Wii U. Win-win!

LOCK

They are doing this to get Wii owners to upgrade to Wii U. Free game isn't a bad deal!

There is no Wii version of 2.0 this year.

This is great news as my niece doesn't have access to a ps3 at her place but has a Wii U. Can just send her my ps3 base and figures and she's good to go! ^_^

modsbox

Are there people out there that have seriously really enjoyed this game? Got this for my son for x-mas and it was not a success.

We've beaten all the wii u mario games, wii Kirby games, etc and this game? We played with it for 20 minutes of zero fun, never to play it again. It wasn't like 'let's try it again sometime' either, it was like, 'wow that was terrible.'

fernoca

Are there people out there that have seriously really enjoyed this game? Got this for my son for x-mas and it was not a success.

We've beaten all the wii u mario games, wii Kirby games, etc and this game? We played with it for 20 minutes of zero fun, never to play it again. It wasn't like 'let's try it again sometime' either, it was like, 'wow that was terrible.'
The actual game was average and the toy box had promise but a letdown and ultimately boring since only a few "curated" levels could be used if you didn't had friends to play with. Skylanders is still a better game and uses the figures better too. The only reason Infinity has more attention around is because of the Disney and now Marvel characters. The figures look nice and clean.

This game is confusing as hell. My girlfriend and I just wanted to play it together. We figured out that you had to have two specific themed world toys to play multiplayer in the worlds, which sucks since we don't have more than 1 character per world. We also bought two characters that don't have their own worlds in general. I wanted to play as Mickey in Pirates of the Caribbean god damnit.

The toy box thing is confusing as hell. We have no idea how to get more adventures other than the ones that come with each character. Am I dumb or is it more complicated than it needs to be? How are kids figuring this junk out. I got excited when I saw that there were "attractions" you could win, but they don't amount to anything more than land pieces. I'm a little let down at the moment.

Last question: Are any of the worlds worth it enough to buy an additional toy to play multiplaer in? How many hours of playtime are we talking in these worlds?

With all the recent classic Disney reveals im definitely getting 2.0.
Only picked up Woody and Captain Jack from 1 but now that I know other great Disney characters are coming im thinking of picking up a few others from 1.

Please God let the Mulan speculation be true.

Partly related, here in Australia JBHifi are selling the starter kit for Wii U, 360 and PS3 for $30, down from the usual $79

Just grabbed it for the kids, they seem happy.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
no news for a PAL free release?
I wonder if, once downloaded, Gamestop will accept my physical copy of the game alone (without base and figures)

More of a Rumor ....mostly because of background of the trailers
After seeing all the evidence, and the fact that a producers favorite character is an unannounced female original Disney character.
I was thinking it was a guarantee but after seeing the discs which gives alt costumes to Aladdin, Captain Jack and Jack Skellington but none of Mulan's billion costumes I am losing faith.
I just can't picture Mulan in this without 2 costumes(can't have casual without warrior, or the other way around)

Top Bottom