• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity available for free on the NA eShop, starting today (Wii U)

Damn it. I was interested in a few of the playsets. The game being free may push me to get a base and a play sets.

Edit:

Actually during the E3 Digital Event Nintendo said both Skylanders and Infinity would have extra features with the NFC in the Gamepad. I wonder what that will be?

Bulzeeb

Donald, Stich, Mulan, Aladdin, Merida.... all the disney characters that are worth it and all the Marvel characters

oh that version looks more interesting but not enough to buy the game full price, I might keep and eye on it then

Explain how you'd fit 2 characters and a playset object onto the gamepad

Hell, explain how you would get 1 character on there and still be able to play the game at all with the gamepad
Obviously you program the game so that a figure and all the other bits are only required for loading rather than constantly streaming.

My analogy of guitar hero instruments still stands though. There to make you spend more.

dottme

Obviously you program the game so that a figure and all the other bits are only required for loading rather than constantly streaming.

My analogy of guitar hero instruments still stands though. There to make you spend more.

Yes but not fully right. I think Skylander is saving your character progress inside the figure. So if you use it with another game, it won't lose the progress.

L~A

No, it's for cross platform toys. If they use the Wii NFC, they have to make a whole separate set of toys for one platform. By having a universal base you can take your toys with you from platform to platform.

My friends' kids have taken their Skylanders from DS to Wii to 3DS to PS4. As a parent myself, the idea of expensive toys being forward compatible makes me less terrified of the day my daughter decides she wants these games too.

Not really. NFC is a standard, not a Wii U exclusivity, so you'd simply need to make the base (for the other platforms) compatible, instead of using something proprietary. That way, figures would work on anything : GamePad or base. No need for multiple versions.

But of course, they won't do that, because they wouldn't want companies making cheaper versions of the portal (since NFC is a standard). With a proprietary system, you can not only make sure people buy YOUR portal, but you can also make them buy a new portal every year if you want to (ie: Skylanders). They also wouldn't want any NFC reader to be able to access/modify data on the chips themselves.

It's all about the $$$, really. And the convenience. Bust mostly the $$$.

CamHostage

Smart to go ala carte "F2P" with Disney Infinity. The toys are where the money is.

Is this just Toy Box mode though or does it have story campaigns in the free release?

Burai

shitonmychest57
Not really. NFC is a standard, not a Wii U exclusivity, so you'd simply need to make the base (for the other platforms) compatible, instead of using something proprietary. That way, figures would work on anything : GamePad or base. No need for multiple versions.

But of course, they won't do that, because they wouldn't want companies making cheaper versions of the portal (since NFC is a standard). With a proprietary system, you can not only make sure people buy YOUR portal, but you can also make them buy a new portal every year if you want to (ie: Skylanders). They also wouldn't want any NFC reader to be able to access/modify data on the chips themselves.

It's all about the $$$, really. And the convenience. Bust mostly the $$$.

No it's not. These games give you the base for free with the retail game anyway.

Why would you tie your entire toy chip architecture in with one console manufacturer's standard when you have no idea what their future intentions are regarding the tech? Why put all your eggs in someone else's basket when this stuff is so cheap and there's no added cost to the end user?

shit i'd buy a figurine if they do this on eu e-shop. Buying the games and figurines was always a bit weird to me but if i just can pickup a Pixar figurine and play a game, i might do it.

Anirask

Neo Member
I just downloaded it and can confirm. The Wii U version of the game DOES NOT recognise the Xbox 360 version of the base.

Tried all 4 USB ports on the Wii U just to be sure.

The game expects you to be able to switch them on the fly, as well as being able to save to them automatically.

If they let the figures use the NFC feature, how would they sell the base for more money?

You have to think about these things, gaming pal.

If by "more money", you mean "included with every new copy of the game". The base set is only $10 more than most games, with the game, base, and three figures.

The game is all right. The Pirates section, though, was the only one worth playing through imo. The ship stuff was a lot like Assassin's Creed and the on shore stuff reminded me of a Lego game. The Toy Box mode or whatever it was called was kind of lame.

At any rate, I don't see how this works unless Disney makes these bases available separately.

SegaShack

I just downloaded it and can confirm. The Wii U version of the game DOES NOT recognise the Xbox 360 version of the base.

Tried all 4 USB ports on the Wii U just to be sure.
Thanks, was just going to DL and try this. Makes no sense since it is USB.

Well this is cool except I made the mistake of previously downloading 2 whole games, so now do not have the room for this. You go Nintendo.

Also I don't know if the PS3 base will work with the Wii U version.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The Wii U "Starter Set" (Game + Pad + 3 characters) is currently $29.99 at Target. (In store, at least.)

Actually, the store flyer says that -all- Disney Infinity Starter Sets are $29.99 at the moment.

I tried to get a Wii version for my nieces, but they were out.

The weird thing is that I opened and tried the Wii U version YESTERDAY. In theory, I haven't really lost anything, as the pad + 3 figures for $30 is still fairly cheap, but...

jholmes

This is how the figures work with Pokemon Rumble U -- you load the character, play with it, and after you get some experience and level up you save back to the character. You only place the figure on the NFC pad twice and it takes just a second both times.

Kriken

Heads up for those with Club Nintendo points in mind

d188a1540a8d8fca6bf2e444231b7413.png

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I was going to jump on this until the part where you need not only the toys but the base aswell

Yup. Downloading solely for the coins, will delete after the survey pops up. It's nearly 10 gigs and I already have the disc version.

I couldn't believe how big a file the game was and already hit platinum for the year. Now the next question... does it affect the DDP at all???

Well that was a waste of time, I didn't get dick for coins, unless there's a weird delay or something. Maybe I can get some DDP points out of this, but I highly doubt it.

Delete delete.

Platy

Never understood rushing to platinum .... specialy when most of those people complain that there are nothing to get on the eshop =P

SpotAnime

One thing worth noting - the Xbox 360, and I believe the Xbox One as well, use a proprietary communication protocol for the base, while the Wii/WiiU bases work on the PS3/PS4 as well. Good to know if you want to just buy the PS3 starter pack.

krumble

Just so people know

the base compatibility

Xbox360 base and xbone are NOT compatible with any other systems

PS3/PS4/WiiU/Wii base are the same thing and interchangeable

Did some research on this a little while ago

Edit: Damn beaten

TehOh

Can someone please confirm if the ps3 and Wii infinity base works for Wii U... trying to close a craigslist deal right now.

I haven't tried it myself, but, the official replacement bases are sold as 360 and "PS3/Wii/Wii U" versions. So, I think the only incompatible one is the Xbox 360 base.

My Girlfriend and I had wanted to get into this game, so after seeing this last night we went to target to see how much a base + figures would be. The starter pack with the game was only 30 dollars, which seemed to be as much as it would cost for 3 characters and the base any where else.

Bought Wreck-It-Ralph too...probably will pick up Sorcerer Mickey too.

Never understood rushing to platinum .... specialy when most of those people complain that there are nothing to get on the eshop =P
I'm not rushing to Platinum, I already have it.

Besides, you can never be too prepared. Nintendo could put up something incredibly awesome and rare for 800 points tomorrow and I'll be there ready and waiting.

Hey, a man can dream can't he?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm not rushing to Platinum, I already have it.

Besides, you can never be too prepared. Nintendo could put up something incredibly awesome and rare for 800 points tomorrow and I'll be there ready and waiting.

Hey, a man can dream can't he?

Hell my resources are pretty low after they put up 8 games this month...5 of which I didn't have.

Top Bottom