• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the biggest gaming bomb of Fall 2014

Inspired by my movie thread in OT, I was thinking what would be a good follow up, and with the fall gaming season vastly approaching, I figured it would be a fun idea to try and predict which games will, despite quality or lack there of, do poorly in the sales charts.

My pick goes for LOTR Shadow of Mordor. I think the game looks amazing, and I plan on picking it up, but I think it will get lost in the shuffle of big AAA releases this fall.

So GAF, which games do you think will fall short of sales expectations this year?

Some notes;

For the purpose of this thread, Fall means from September to the end of the Holiday season.

A game being a bomb is not a mark on quality, it could really be the best game of the year, but still bomb financially.

Keep it civil, there's no need to shit on someone's favorite game just because you don't think it will do well. This thread is just about sales and maybe the possible consequences of certain games doing poorly.

Also exceptionally popular games can still bomb if they don't meet sales expectations. The only metric for a bomb will be whether a game sells well enough to justify it's reported or projected budget.

Also keep in mind that because we don't always get budget estimates for games like we do movies, a lot of this will be, albeit educated, guess work.

All that said, just be civil and have fun, no one wants games to fail, but it can be interested talking about the ramifications of it happening.

A list of games from poster mangochutney feel free to suggest any that aren't listed. I'll try to keep the OP updated.

September
Destiny
Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes
Fantasy Life
FIFA 15
Flockers
Hyrule Warriors
inFamous: First Light
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution
Natural Doctrine
NHL 15
Pacman and the Ghostly Adventures 2
Shadow Warrior
Tenkai Knights: Brave Battle
The Sims 4
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate

October
Alien: Isolation
Bayonetta 2
Borderlands: The Pre Sequel!
Disney Magical World
DRIVECLUB
F1 2014
Fantasia: Music Evolved
Forza Horizon 2
Freedom Wars
Just Dance 2015
Lords of the Fallen
Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor
MX vs. ATV Supercross
NBA 2K15
NBA Live 15
Power Rangers Super Megaforce
Project Spark
Raven's Cry
Samurai Warriors 4
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments
Singstar Ultimate Party
Skylanders: Trap Team
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
Sunset Overdrive
Super Smash Bros.
The Evil Within
The Walking Dead Game Of The Year Edition
Tropico 5
WWE 2K15

November
Adventure Time: The Secret of the Nameless Kingdom
Assassin's Creed: Rogue
Assassin's Creed: Unity
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Disney Planes: Fire & Rescue
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Escape Dead Island
Far Cry 4
Grand Theft Auto V
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham
LittleBigPlanet 3
Persona Q
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
Pokemon Omega Ruby
Pro Evolution Soccer 2015
Project CARS
Shape Up
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal
Tales of Hearts R
The Crew
The Wolf Among Us

December
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris

I'm gonna say The Crew. Isn't like Ubisoft releasing like 3 or 4 games around the same time?

Bayo 2 will Bomb. I'll eat delicious crow if proven otherwise

JPS Kai

Shadow of Mordor has had a decent bit of following at my store. People are interested in it solely because of the Lord of the Rings name and not because of the developer or playstyle.

My vote is for Sunset Overdrive. Despite the unique design and advertising, I don't think it will capture the sales and demographic that Microsoft is hoping for. It's coming out in the lull between Destiny and dude bro shooters, but I don't think it'll work out quite as well as Microsoft is banking on.

Tamanon

Banned
I'd go with Sunset Overdrive. I think it's hitting at a bad time where people are going to be going with more established games.

Maybe Assassins Creed: Rogue?

I'm sure it'll sell okay, but I have a feeling it may sell way less than Ubi's predictions. There's a current gen Asscreed game coming out at the same time, and I'm thinking that this game won't sell a ton on the old gen consoles, especially compared to how the last games sold.

My pick goes for LOTR Shadow of Mordor. I think the game looks amazing, and I plan on picking it up, but I think it will get lost in the shuffle of big AAA releases this fall.

Shadow of Mordor or The Evil Within.

Sorry MD

Shadow of Mordor.

Shadow of Mordor

I'd really like it if this thread doesn't cause a self-fulfilling prophesy for what looks to be such an exciting game.

Courage

I'd reckon the LOTR name behind Shadow of Mordor will give it enough sales to not bomb. It's also before the gaming chaos of October/November.

The real answer is Bayonetta 2. Good night sweet princess.

Foshy

The Crew.

There's 3 other racing-titles coming out on current-gen consoles (FH2, DC and pCars), and it didn't get very favorable impressions from the PC beta.

Now, I guess it might even actually sell a bit more than pCars on consoles, but given the budget and pCars focus on PC, it'll most likely be the bigger bomb in terms of publisher expectation.

bigkrev

Now that Evolve has slipped, Bayonetta 2 seems like the one. It will probably do a bit better than Wonderful 101 due to it being an existing IP, but I think the number of people who already own WiiUs and are interested in this game is low (see: Wonderful 101 sales shitting the bed), and I don't think this is enough to convince someone to buy a WiiU.

Not sure about #1, but I bet Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel will be a contender.

Edit: I think Bayonetta 2, Shadow of Mordor and The Evil Within are good guesses at least.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and Lords of the Fallen. Didn't count Bayonneta 2 because I think that even Nintendo knew it won't sell well when they signed the deal.

Edit: Forgot about The Crew, there's no way it'll sell well.

mdubs

Banned
Probably the The Crew, The Evil Within and sadly Bayonetta 2 although who knows what Nintendo is aiming for.

I doubt Shadows of Mordor will bomb since they were able to move it up a week, it's in a nice spot between Destiny and the rest of the releases coming in late October/November

Driveclub is a ps+ game so it will probably have lower retail sales than most of the other games. But it will help with ps+ subscriptions and sell lots of dlc.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Maybe the Wii U version, and only if we're figuring relative to expectations. 3DS version is going to slaughter it.

Evil Within seems like a good choice, I didn't even recognize that when I read it in this thread. Had to look it up.

Top Bottom