• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who has the easiest retail job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brocke

Banned
I bet I have most of you beat. :p

Unless its Christmas, we bring in our own movies and tv shows and watch them while barely any customers come in.

easybutton_lg_top.gif

Just kidding, its a lot of work since stores run on small crews that just have to know their crap. But Staples treats employees well and pays them well too. Best retail ive ever done.

Sure, you can find retail where you dont do everything all day, but where's the fun in that?

You mean like Mall Kiosks? That job would drive me nuts.

Have you all noticed the girl scouts have been deployed? They're bunkering down and creating roadblocks to every enterance of places I like to go.

Zep

Banned
MrAngryFace said:
You mean like Mall Kiosks? That job would drive me nuts.

Have you all noticed the girl scouts have been deployed? They're bunkering down and creating roadblocks to every enterance of places I like to go.

They always catch me coming out the supermarket. :(

Triumph

Banned
Jesus Tapdancing Christ, retail is NOT all easy. Especially when your company thinks it should take a page from corporate america and "diversify" your job to the point where you're wearing 37 different hats in the course of a day and want to reach across the counter and strangle the rich white people with their own ties for being such fucking ingrates...

WHOOPS! How'd that get in there? Seriously, retail is the bomb yo. Yeah, I can't recommend it enough for someone who wants to hate their very existence with a bloody fucking passion and question everything about life. It's the PERFECT vocation. ESPECIALLY management.

OH, and YES I am bitter. And drunk!

I dunno, you get used to being cross-trained. I can work any position in the store and its ultimately worth it when im with a customer.

HOWEVER, Staples is a different climate from a lot of retail, so its possible youre forced to wear a lot of hats in a super intense environment along with all the accountability that comes with it for free!

Retail isnt easy, but after 4 years of one retail job and 2 of others im on a pretty steady path.

HOWEVER I WORK TOMORROW AND NOW THAT IM ALL COCKY AND FUNNY ABOUT WORK I KNOW ITLL GO ALL SHITTY!

FUCK!

Alski

I work for M$ marketing! Hi!
Triumph said:
Jesus Tapdancing Christ, retail is NOT all easy. Especially when your company thinks it should take a page from corporate america and "diversify" your job to the point where you're wearing 37 different hats in the course of a day and want to reach across the counter and strangle the rich white people with their own ties for being such fucking ingrates...

WHOOPS! How'd that get in there? Seriously, retail is the bomb yo. Yeah, I can't recommend it enough for someone who wants to hate their very existence with a bloody fucking passion and question everything about life. It's the PERFECT vocation. ESPECIALLY management.

OH, and YES I am bitter. And drunk!

That is exactly how I felt when I worked retail. I hated every waking second of my life... so glad I got out.

Dyne

Nothing could beat working merchandising at Best Buy though. 4 am fridays? 6 am every weekday? Learning a ton of acronyms only sales people care about? Keeping track of every single thing on the goddamn floor?

NOT easy. Considering the fact, I worked in a store full of employees who didn't even know what upstocking was.

Goddamn Best Buy.

AniHawk

Dyne said:
Nothing could beat working merchandising at Best Buy though. 4 am fridays? 6 am every weekday? Learning a ton of acronyms only sales people care about? Keeping track of every single thing on the goddamn floor?

NOT easy. Considering the fact, I worked in a store full of employees who didn't even know what upstocking was.

Goddamn Best Buy.
Best Buy fucking sucked for that. The same guy kept getting nailed by the district manager for not knowing the acronyms though. I had school so thankfully I always worked too late.

cvxfreak

I think if you have knowledge, the Apple Store is a relaxed place to work. Can't imagine that place providing much job stress although I may very well be wrong.

Christopher

Abercrombie & Fitch you literally and I'm not playing do nothing...you stand there and say stupid catch phrases and fold jeans when no one is around.

The people at the mall kiosks (at least where I live) have it preposterously easy. Most of them just sit around and chat (either on the computer or with actual people) about stuff that has nothing to do with what they are selling. I'd kill for that kind of job.

Tamanon

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
Most dudes running kiosks just sit there and play solitaire all day.

Yeah actually there's this guy at a kiosk in one of the malls that plays online poker all the time at work :lol

brocke

Banned
Biohazard said:
Abercrombie & Fitch you literally and I'm not playing do nothing...you stand there and say stupid catch phrases and fold jeans when no one is around.

Yeah but do you get paid 8 an hour + bonuses for selling guarantees while still being a small mall store? I'll give a cookie to anyone that can guess the store I'm talking about.

hint hint it just went off commission.

Diablos

ToxicAdam said:
Most dudes running kiosks just sit there and play solitaire all day.
I can't tell you how many times at the mall I've seen the same people either a. playing some windows game or b. using AIM while at work.

It's ok, I did that at my last job. But it was a desk job, in an office building, dammit. There weren't people walking by my cube every 2.2 seconds. :p

Diablos

bjork said:
I think the #ga set can verify that *I* have the easiest retail job. :D
This man works at an anime shop, his shifts consist of little to no human interaction and much IRC chatting.

He just doesn't chat at work, no no. Chatting IS part of his work!

bjork

Diablos said:
This man works at an anime shop, his shifts consist of little to no human interaction and much IRC chatting.

He just doesn't chat at work, no no. Chatting IS part of his work!

Hey, without the elitist anime feedback I get from this forum and that channel, I'm able to field customer questions without actually watching the shit. :lol

I have human interaction... kind of. They're more like missing links, heh.

aoi tsuki

Staples > Gamestop > Best Buy. JC Penney doesn't count since i worked visual merchandising, which meant absolutely no customer contact.

In twelve hours i'll be working as a part of the remodel crew, which means no customer interaction for a month. After the night i just had, i can't wait to get a chance to get away from customers.

JRPereira

Shame you can't count my job as retail. I've been regularly playing games at work, and I started bringing in my ps2 controller+adapter so I can play emugames on my laptop.

There's been multi-hour stretches where there's nothing else to do.

(tech support at an isp)

Tachikoma

Banned
Dyne said:

Goddamn Best Buy.
oof! For our merch dept. we start at 7am mon-sat and 6am only on Sunday. The job still sucks, though. All other departments dump shit on us. Most of the store doesn't even acknowledge the work we do. Not to mention we've got an asshole for a supervisor that likes the sound of his own voice too much. I wasted too much time at Best Buy and am looking to enter school and find another job. I need to get the fuck away from the place. :lol

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I'm curious for all you guys with retail jobs: are you doing it only as a temp job until you get a solid career started in whatever field you're interested in, or is this what you plan to do for a living? Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine voluntarily deciding to spend my life working in a retail store. Anything but that! It just seems like a completely waste.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
I've never worked a single day in retail, telling people what they want to hear - telling people anything to make a sale.

Triumph

Banned
SnowWolf said:
I'm curious for all you guys with retail jobs: are you doing it only as a temp job until you get a solid career started in whatever field you're interested in, or is this what you plan to do for a living? Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine voluntarily deciding to spend my life working in a retail store. Anything but that! It just seems like a completely waste.
I dunno, spending my life trapped in a cubicle is pretty fucking terrible in it's own way, and I've done both. Right now, though, I would happily exchange my shit retail management job for a degrading, dehumanizing 9-5 Monday through Friday experience in a cube. In a HEARTBEAT.

And although customers are most of what's wrong with retail, upper management has a lot to do with it too. It's fucking RETAIL you ignorant fucks. Don't try to make it harder than it is- it's so fucking simple. ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't really consider there to be a whole lot of difference in terms of overall job satisfaction any more. When I used to work retail, I loathed specific customers and passive-aggressive store managers; now I loathe retarded vendor representatives and entrenched middle management. What I gain in having an office and a desk I lose in terms of the adrenalin and sense of action that comes from the retail floor. Say what you will about retail: it can be tiring and emotionally draining, but it is rarely fucking boring if you care about your job. Being a desk jockey, conversely, can be an exercise in total ennui, especially if you're stuck in a dark little cube or office. Some days I kinda miss the dynamic interaction I had back in the halcyon days of yore when I worked retail and IT floor jobs -- every hour was a new little act that could end in joy or disaster.

And I never found retail to be simple. In fact, on a day to day basis, I found it more challenging than my current job, despite having to write code. On the other hand, if you don't give a fuck, I guess it could be simple, but if you're a competent and engaged employee -- always a rarity in retail, thanks to the mediocre pay grades at most stores -- you hafta be incredibly flexible and adaptive. I got more of a mental workout on the floor of my store some days than I ever did debating routing algorithms and ogling network traces at my current job.

achilles

Apple retail was a fairly easy retail job. You'd get the usual idiots yelling about their iPod or kids walking in telling you PC rockz and walking out, but for the most part it was pretty good. Plus the free stuff was cool.

Rorschach

Triumph said:
I dunno, spending my life trapped in a cubicle is pretty fucking terrible in it's own way, and I've done both. Right now, though, I would happily exchange my shit retail management job for a degrading, dehumanizing 9-5 Monday through Friday experience in a cube. In a HEARTBEAT.

And although customers are most of what's wrong with retail, upper management has a lot to do with it too. It's fucking RETAIL you ignorant fucks. Don't try to make it harder than it is- it's so fucking simple. ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
In my experience, management and certain co-workers were most of what was wrong with retail. Sure, customers can be a pain in the ass, but at the end of the day, they're all gone. The retards you work with are still there implementing their bass ackwards logic and forcing you to go along with it.

Retail jobs suck in general, but they tend to suck even more when you're located in a busy district and your managers or DH's are complete assholes. For any one who has worked at Home Depot they know what i'm talking about. I hate this job with a passion but since i'm in school they give me a 2,000 check for every semester. But i dream of the day when my Home Depot burns to the ground.

Best Job on Earth is working for a Park. Milwaukee County parks threats you like a god and all you really do is clean up the park and mow grass which takes tops 2 hours. the other 6 are yours to enjoy, just find yourself a good hiding spot and take out your favorite portable device and relax. The best part about it is that the park management actually approve of it. Unions FTW! :lol

Nicodimas

Banned
i think my job is fairly hard..but I work at Sports authority. It has to do with the amount of hours the store is given. The constant amount of bullshit projects. etc

ChrisReid

iapetus said:
I've never worked a single day in retail, telling people what they want to hear - telling people anything to make a sale.

This is a wonderfully naive reply. The reality goes far far beyond than that. :(

bjork

iapetus said:

Is that what I'm supposed to be doing? I've never pushed a sale ever... people either want it or they don't, and if they don't buy it, I'm still getting paid. :shrug:

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
<sigh> Will all you people working in retail in places that sell CDs do your duty and get more Barenaked Ladies albums sold?

yodandy

Ive worked at staples for a year and a half at 2 staples stores, one at my hometown, transferred to another one at my new university.

Not that hard, some days i just DO NOT want to sell though...

They force you to push those fuggin warranties up peoples ass though...which can be annoying, at first I didnt care, but then i realized we make bonuses if we sell alot, so I find myself being a little slimeball that i've always hated and pushing for the crap warranties/attatchments........but if you know your stuff, its a walk in the park somedays...but just busy enough to make the time go by fast.

Im cross trained through the whole store, so its generally a breeze for me to help anyone who walks in.

I'd imagine that working at a artsy cinema house selling movie tickets, especially at fairly dead ones, would be easy as pie. When I go to the local indie film place the people working the windows are always just sitting there reading a book.

I agree that stores that make retail people push warranties, etc. are lame. For the little wage you get, you shouldn't have to hard sell people as well. It just isn't worth it IMO.

Cubicle jobs do suck but at least you are making enough money where you can have ideas of trying to retire early by sensibly investing your money. Working retail almost forces you to work until you are 65.

Nicodimas

Banned
telling people what they wanted to hear would be easy...

RETAIL people understand this next point:
the problem is most people are very dumb and can not understand what you are explaining. trying to explain it...dumb it down..makes the job hard.
i know you know what im talking about.

Working as a third key at Gamestop was extremely easy. I just hated the few monotonous tasks like scanning all the games each morning, and counting the money.

As far as things that you typically get paid for go, interacting with customers is pretty damn fun and easy. I don't get all the people who say it's hell.

I also work at Staples (in Canada) and I can second the motion that it's the best retail job I've had. The only thing that really pisses me off is that I'm not an hourly associate, so my job description and responsibility changes greatly. How am I supposed to spend the majority of my time on the sales floor selling when there's a million things that I get in deep shit for if I don't accomplish in the back?

Yes, my job is stressful, but I generally enjoy most of the associates I work with and everyone (...I think) respects me, so when I delegate it usually gets done and makes my life easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom