• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me appreciate my gaming PC as more than just a super powerful console.

I'll admit outside of Counter Strike and a smattering of other games, my PC gaming experience is pretty much 1:1 with your average console gamers experience. In that most of what I own are all games ports of console games or vice versa. Sure, most versions are vastly superior and I DO take advantage of mods in games that support them but I'm just intimidated by the wide breadth of hardcore PC exclusives.

It just appears that there are tons and TONS of PC exclusives but I don't even know where to start. I'm not big on sim/RTS but maybe I just haven't tried hard enough.

I feel like I'm missing out on a lot. It's been a very long time since I last had a truly magical gaming experience (Dragon Quest 8, Dark Souls). I'm thinking maybe I'll find that experience again in a game that's not marketing hype.

patapuf

I'll admit outside of Counter Strike and a smattering of other games, my PC gaming experience is pretty much 1:1 with your average console gamers experience. In that most of what I own are all games ports of console games or vice versa. Sure, most versions are vastly superior and I DO take advantage of mods in games that support them but I'm just intimidated by the wide breadth of hardcore PC exclusives.

It just appears that there are tons and TONS of PC exclusives but I don't even know where to start. I'm not big on sim/RTS but maybe I just haven't tried hard enough.

I feel like I'm missing out on a lot. It's been a very long time since I last had a truly magical gaming experience (Dragon Quest 8, Dark Souls). I'm thinking maybe I'll find that experience again in a game that's not marketing hype.

What kind of genres do you like? Do you prefer lot's of action or slower paced games? SP or MP?

Strategy, RPG's, Sims and adventure games are where most PC exclusives are but there's something in every genre.

If you like RPGs you should try Divinity: Original Sin.

It's really shallow but I just CANNOT get into isometric/point and click. It's incredibly unimmersive for me. Typically when a game has me totally enraptured it's because the world itself is just so much fun to explore.

You say you aren't big into RTS games... but have you tried Warcraft 3? Yeah it's ancient as a piece of software, but it's still an experience you'll never get on consoles and it's still a game that holds up fairly well.

You could try Starcraft 2 as well. I think most RTS games lack a strong narrative that Blizzard seems to be able to do in spades even if there are arguably stronger RTS games.

Also how do you feel about Civilizations? Civ 5 is another experience that is very 'PC' and very addictive/much loved.

patapuf

It's really shallow but I just CANNOT get into isometric/point and click. It's incredibly unimmersive for me. Typically when a game has me totally enraptured it's because the world itself is just so much fun to explore.

If you like to atmospheric games try STALKER shadows of chernobyl one of the most immersive games ever made.

Gothic 2 is already older but is a 3rd person RPG with a world that feels very much alive and with the freedom you usually only see in an isometric one.

If you like to atmospheric games try STALKER shadows of chernobyl one of the most immersive games ever made.

Gothic 2 is already older but is a 3rd person RPG with a world that feels very much alive and with the freedom you usually only see in an isometric one.

I keep meaning to but the series is expensive as fuck and it never goes on sale. I know Shadows of Chernobyl is the first game but what's the story with Call of Pripyat and Clear Sky?

Which should I play first?

Almighty

Buy Shogun 2 or Crusader Kings 2 when they go on sale is my advice. Both are awesome games that you won't see on consoles and since they go on sale pretty often and for pretty cheap you aren't out much if you don't like them.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I keep meaning to but the series is expensive as fuck and it never goes on sale. I know Shadows of Chernobyl is the first game but what's the story with Call of Pripyat and Clear Sky?

All the STALKER games go on sale regularly though.

Nikodemos

In order to appreciate your PC as more than just a really beefy console you need to like the several genres that are PC exclusive (or at least PC-centric). Also, you need to like customizing your game experience (via 3rd party mods). If you can't get yourself to appreciate the above, your PC will never go beyond "very powerful console" status.

patapuf

Call of Pripyat is the most polished of the three games and it only slightly touches the story of the two previous games, if you haven't played them, you won't notice. If you can't play SoC this is definetly the one to play. For me, SoC is more atmospheric but it's also a bit more buggy.

Clear Sky is not as good as the other two due to poor faction mechanics. It's enjoyable if you like the other two but i wouldn't play it first.

Shadow of chernobyl and Call of pripyat are both easily worth the 15-20 euros if you like meaningful exploration (rewarded with unique loot), light survival/horror elements and melancholic, post apocalyptic worlds.

Omega

Banned
You sound like me, only I don't really care about having to play other PC exclusives.

I'm perfectly fine with CS.

I ended up buying a bunch of PC exclusives because I felt like "i spent $800 on this PC, i should play more than just one game"

Denton

Seriously, STALKER games are a must. Probably the most atmospheric exploration games ever made. Call of Pripyat especially. But I recommend looking into the best mods for them as well. Complete mods were great, but I am not sure if there aren't some even better.

akira28

Steam is better than console gaming services. The indies are far better quality.

Check em out. In fact Minimum is on sale for 5 bucks today on early access sale.

Bl@de

Conquer the World and wipe out everybody:

9B08F5982A462309F48DA3C602107F28281BFEB1

Europa Universalis 4 and Crusader Kings 2. The Games follow the history of mankind from 800-1900 ... everyday, playable with every country or province. and of course there is a game of thrones mod for it ...
I know it looks hard (it is) and a lot to read (you have to). but it is the best strategy sim ever. and you also learn a lot about history. so it's like learning with fun (yay only on pc)

Nikodemos

I know it looks hard (it is) and a lot to read (you have to). but it is the best strategy sim ever. and you also learn a lot about history. so it's like learning with fun (yay only on pc)
Paradox Entertainment in a nutshell. Edutainment, but fun.

I'm not big on sim/RTS but maybe I just haven't tried hard enough.

Don't just look at RTS games, look at strategy games in general, like Civilization V or the Total War series, which are quite more complex, challenging and entertaining then RTS games.

Paradox games like Europa Universalis IV and Crusader Kings 2 are also great, but they take much more time to get into.

Zarx

Well if tun based, RTS, Sim and isometric games are out of the question. Mount & Blade, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Orcs Must Die 2, Hard Reset and Shadow Warrior are all I can think of to recommend off the top of my head. How far back are you willing to go? There are 20 years of back catalog titles if you are willing to put up with some old school UI and design.

Miguel81

These are the games that will satisfy an "open-minded" console gamer that wants to get into PC games.

Deus Ex
Thief 1&2
System Shock 2
Half-Life 1&2

The Infinity Engine cRPGs will give you a lot of value for your money, and when they click they click. Planescape Torment was quite an experience to play through.

Civ V is all you need to ease yourself into a wonderful strategy game.

PnC adventure games and indies tend to have a lot of charm. I recommend King's Quest VI, Machinarium, Lone Survivor, and Aquaria.

MMOs and MOBA games are the toughest nuts to crack. They're also time sinks so they're not for everyone(not me, anyway)
Final Fantasy XIV ARR and DOTA2 seem to be the go-to games atm.

Edit: A lot of these Western multi-platform games have PC-gaming roots so it's not like you aren't getting the "PC experience" from them.

patapuf

Don't just look at RTS games, look at strategy games in general, like Civilization V or the Total War series, which are quite more complex, challenging and entertaining then RTS games.

Paradox games like Europa Universalis IV and Crusader Kings 2 are also great, but they take much more time to get into.

Also, for a non standart recommendation you could try divinity: dragon commander

The game has 3 modes:

one is the political landscape, argue with you advisors about policies from social safety nets, to protecting the environment or legalising gay marriage to whether you want to be a dictator or allow democracy. Your generals will also approach you with personal problems/topics ect.

These descisions will influence bonuses on the strategic map, which plays out like a game of risk.

finally there's the RTS part where you play out battles you want to do manually. You can either micromanage basebuilding/troops or turn into a big dragon and lay waste to the enemy.

It's fun.

Wiktor

Buy a good joystick and one of Digital Combat Simulator games (I recommen Black Shark 2 or Warthog). There's no game on consoles that is similiar to this experience.
air_504a_007.jpg

Bl@de

Buy a good joystick and one of Digital Combat Simulator games (I recommen Black Shark 2 or Warthog). There's no game on consoles that is similiar to this experience.

The easier start would be ARMA 3. Full Military Sim. Battlefield for Adults on a 20km map. And a neverending source of mods for years. You can get it on every steam sale for 20€

Dominions 4

IamKH.jpg

The game where Egyptian lizardmen fight Atlanteans who fight undead Roman empire who fight human-eating giants from jew myths who fight Chutlhu who fight Spanish Inquisition who fight Japanese demons who fight blood-sacrificing Aztecs who fight intelligent hindu monkeys who fight magma-born humanoids who fight giants come from the Norse cold who fight winged-humans magocracy who fight spider-riding Africans who fight mythical Greeks who fight Transylvanian vampires who fight... you get the idea.

ehZYor9.gif

SparkTR

Might & Magic X
Legend of Grimrock
Divinity: Dragon Commander
Stalker
Banished
Age of Wonders III
ArmA III
Chivalry
Divinity Original Sin
Assetto Corsa
Mount & Blade
Natural Selection 2
Red Orchestra 2
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
IL2 Sturmovich
Wargame Red Dragon
Civ V
Sins of a Solar Empire
Killing Floor
The Precursors
TrackMania 2

Might & Magic X
Legend of Grimrock
Divinity: Dragon Commander
Stalker
Banished
Age of Wonders III
Divinity Original Sin
Assetto Corsa
Mount & Blade
Natural Selection 2
Red Orchestra 2
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
IL2 Sturmovich
Wargame Red Dragon
Civ V
Sins of a Solar Empire
Killing Floor
The Precursors
TrackMania 2

This is a great list. Try Divinity:Dragon Commander as an entry to strategy games since a large part of it is also RPG. Then try Civilization V.

You can also enter the world of mods, if you have a game like skyrim on pc just head over to http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/

Browse the top-rated mods there and you will definitely find some that will interest you and convert your game into something incredibly different.

Company of Heroes
World in Conflict
Civilization
ARMA 3
Elite Dangerous
Star Citizen
Sins of a Solar Empire
Galactic Civilization
X
Limit Theory
Wargame
Warhammer 40K Dawn of War

Seanspeed

Banned
Civilization V - You're going to hear this a lot. There's a reason for that.

Sim City 4 - With the exception of the new one, SimCity is one of the best series to relax to and have a great time. These are quality games with a ton of character.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Play at night with headphones on. There is no combat. Only fear. And some puzzles.

Anno 2070 - A more serious SimCity-like experience. Also very well done, but a bit more challenging and goal-orientated.

Divinity: Original Sin - If you like RPG's, this is definitely a must-play. Challenging, but satisfying combat that puts your full arsenal of abilities to the test more often than not. Good writing. Beautiful art style.

Kerbal Space Program - Brilliant rocket scientist simulator! Great amount of charm that overlays extremely deep mechanics.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare - One of the only games that tries to truly capture the intense nature of medieval combat and sieges by use of a 1st person perspective and some great combat mechanics. Multiplayer is a blast. Mount and Blade deserves mention for having a similar style and is notable for having great on-horse and archery mechanics.

Total War: Shogun 2 or Rome 2 - Very in-depth, huge scale, great visuals, and is one of the reasons the word 'epic' was invented. Shogun 2 is considered the better overall game, but if Roman times appeal to you more, then it wouldn't hurt choosing Rome 2 instead.

ARMA III - FPS with a huge emphasis on believability. Not meant for a casual experience at all. Also has the ever popular DayZ mod for people who want that multiplayer zombie survival experience.

There's lots more bigger titles, any countless number of PC-exclusive indie games, and of course there's tons of older games, both PC-exclusive and not(not everybody keeps all their old consoles).

Ahzrei

Banned
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. (Get the unofficial patch.)

Anything with a healthy modding scene. Mods are the soul of PC gaming, imho. It's the freedom that really sets PC apart from consoles more than power, control method etc. Neverwinter Nights II, Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim, Starcraft II.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Always gotta pimp Kerbal Space Program: http://youtu.be/RkDOOsGg-9I

In active development, new shit added every few months, an inexhaustible supply of mods. Truly a fantastic example of what Early Access should be.

Edit: Jeez, that fan-trailer is over a year old... So much has been added since then...

Shadow of Chernobyl is on sale at gog right now http://www.gog.com/game/stalker_shadow_of_chernobyl

All the STALKER games go on sale regularly though.

Seriously, STALKER games are a must. Probably the most atmospheric exploration games ever made. Call of Pripyat especially. But I recommend looking into the best mods for them as well. Complete mods were great, but I am not sure if there aren't some even better.

These guys... these guys know what's up!

STALKER will blow your mind. There's a bit of an adjustment period/learning curve, but really these games aren't particularly complex/hard to get into and they also manage to encapsulate the advantages of PC gaming so well. Atmosphere like no other, actual AI, a true struggle to survive.

STALKER SOC was my game of last gen, and I played most of the major games on most platforms.

NIN90

Killing Floor is a pretty fucking PC-ass PC game.

Brutal Doom is great too. I somehow played around 100 hours over the course of the summer between all the official and user-made WADs.

Corpekata

Banned
I'd suggest the Dawn of War 2 campaigns as a good entry point into RTS games. You control largely just hero type characters rather than massive squads so it is a good way to learn the basics of the genre without getting too overwhelmed.

Also give Hearthstone a spin if you haven't yet. Also on tablets.

Civ 5 is very entertaining and pretty easy to get into even if you know nothing about the genre.

Easy to get into, a bit hard to master of course.

dejan

Two F2P games that I think are absolutely worth your time:

Path of Exile - online action RPG, think Diablo
Smite - 3rd person action MOBA

Dries

What's wrong for being just a super powerful console? That's what I have my PC for. I'm not really into the hardcore PC exclusives, I just want to play my games with the best graphical quality.

Top Bottom