• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with gorgeous wireframe graphics?

Peltz

I find a lot of threads worshiping gorgeous pixel art, and insanely well-textured polygons.... but what about the "lost" art form. What are some cool looking wire-frame games?

Edit: Due to some people asking, it doesn't have to be vector based graphics. Polygonal wireframes and faux-wireframes are welcome. Post anything you think is cool in the "style" of wire frame graphics.

Some of my favorites:

1995176-star002.png

Star Wars Attack on the Death Star

Hyper-Chase02.jpg

Hyperchase

rez-5.jpg

Rez HD

Anyone else have any love for this stuff?

I loved this stuff too.

There was an old Bungie weekly update during the development of Halo 3 where Frankie teased a wireframe image of the game and I basically wet my pants. It was beautiful.

Can't find it now :(

Child of Eden has some rather nice wireframe graphics in some areas, which I guess isn't terribly surprising considering its ties to Rez.

(I don't think this screenshot has actual wireframe graphics, but it is kinda hard to find screens on the web because the game didn't use them a whole lot.)

The only other modern game I can think of is Space Invaders Infinity Gene. I only played the demo some years ago, so I can't say much about the game, but its wireframe graphics stood out to me.

Elite and Starglider are two that come to mind.

I'd love to see a modern wireframe game that respected depth so you don't get clash of vectors. Obviously the simple solution is jet black shading.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
There was a pc game that used vector graphics with non vector graphics. Was kind of like Battlezone but you were a hover craft or something (maybe you had 3 choices). For the life of me I can't remember the name. Had billboards and shit and other bad guys that you had to kill before proceeding.

Roadside

Neo Member
I don't know if this is actual wireframed graphics but I enjoyed the game more when played in this mode (Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout)
wfdbfb03.png

I've always wanted a Vectrex, just for the coolness factor:

TRON-S2.JPG

Pure vector based gaming machine that did nothing but wire frame graphics. A truly unique piece of hardware that was a one of a kind.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Vector graphics don't necessarily equal wireframes. A wireframe is transparent, so you can see the back edges, things behind it, etc. The OP is specifically asking for that, I believe.

I've heard of the Vectrex but had no idea it was a vector based game system. That's really, really cool, and just one more example of what I mean when I say that video game consoles weren't pretty much the same as one another (i.e. mini PCs) back then.

The interesting thing to me is that, despite coming out in '82, its graphics don't look terribly antiquated (well, until you introduce the overlays).

Top Bottom