• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you were never meant to play

LOLCats

Banned
Mass effect 2. Picked it up target on clearance, started playing and was like omg what have i been missing. 2x ME1, 3x ME2, 1.5x ME3 playthroughs later and i cant wait till the next installment n the franchise.

JordanN

Banned
The entire PS1.

Was suppose to get a N64, but ended up with a PS1 somehow. Life changed forever after that.
Could never see myself getting into games like Metal Gear Sold or Marvel vs Capcom if I never owned the system.

batrush

Fire Emblem. Knew nothing about the series, but a seller threw in a complete copy of Awakening with my XL. Now Fire Emblem's up with only Persona and Pokemon as a system-seller grade series.

Asked my mom for Ratchet and Clank for Christmas. Got Jak and Daxter instead (and I had never heard of it before). Best mistake ever, as the Jak and Daxter series are one of my favorite series in gaming.

i only realized last year they're not the same thing. im sorry.

image.php

Actually I never heard of Ratchet and Clank when I first played it 10 or 11 years ago back when I was in like 1st grade. When I got it, I could have sworn it was Jak and Daxter. Even playing through the game I called them Jak and Daxter for a few days.

Myriadis

When I was 9 or 10, I wanted to buy Mischief Makers. Went with my brother and my father to the video game shop and my father looked at the box and said "Nah, there's something much better for your money". So he simply took our money, added a bit of his own and bought Ocarina of Time with that.
I was really disappointed on the way home since I wasn't interested in Zelda at all. Zelda is now one of my favorite games ever. Thanks, dad.

Asked my mom for Ratchet and Clank for Christmas. Got Jak and Daxter instead (and I had never heard of it before). Best mistake ever, as the Jak and Daxter series are one of my favorite series in gaming.

Thats awesome...both great series nonetheless

I still need to finish jak and daxter 2 actually

killatopak

Dragon Quest VIII. I'm not really familiar with DQ at the time and just bought it cause I saw FFXII. Best adventure that I've had.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Metal Gear Solid 2. Parents got it for me used from a bargain bin a couple of years after its release, for my 14th birthday. I brushed it off, as I wasn't a fan of realistic/army games at all, but a friend of mine convinced me to keep it. MGS is one of my favorite series now.

Shadow Hearts. Never heard of it, probably wouldn't of until it was too late/hard to come by otherwise if I wasn't randomly shown it by someone I didn't know/like. (Temporary co-worker.)

Also, Mario Paint. Didn't ask for it but still got it for Christmas. Best random gift I ever got from my parents.

sephiroth7x

I went to Toys r Us when I was a kid and was looking for a game in particular (Wish I could remember what it was!!) for the SNES (Think I was about 9?) and it was sold out but I really wanted a new game... So because it was cheap at £17 I bought Link to the Past with no knowledge whatsoever of what the game was...

What a mistake that was!! :) Top 5 of all time now!

Marceles

Bugs_Bunny_Rabbit_Rampage_(NA).jpg

I still don't remember how I got this game, but I thought it would suck. Even with the "12 MEGS OF AWESOMENESS" disclaimer, but I used to play the hell out of it.

Runner up was probably Fighting Force, which was free from Playstation Underground which I got with Nightmare Creatures and Wild 9. I thought all of them would be horrible but I played Fighting Force a lot.

Anteater

Resident Evil

Borrowed Wipeout from a friend, got Resident Evil instead in the box. Never heard of it.

Fuck that dog hallway

Qasiel

Zelda: Link's Awakening.

Was just in a shop at 8 years old looking for a game, any game, to play on my new Game Boy. Picked it up because it had a sword on it.

21 years and 2 Zelda-related tattoos later...

Soul Calibur II and Viewtiful Joe.

I wanted some really bad Beyblade game on GC when I was younger. My parents were going to buy it for me for Christmas but it was sold out. Apparently some wonderful person there recommended Soul Calibur II because it had Link in it and they told him I like Zelda.

Fantastic Christmas.

The second story somehow also concerns the same Beyblade game. I saw it up for rent in Blockbuster, so I picked it up. Somhow the guy there put in viewtiful Joe instead of the Beyblade game. I can't remember why but I couldn't go back to return it that day, so I played what I had and decided to keep on playing that instead of taking it back to ask for Beyblade. I got stuck on Fire Leo and I couldn't beat it in time for when I had to give the game back, so I eventually bought it. What a great game.

Oh and I bought that Beyblade game at some point way later and it was garbage.

NateDog

Final Fantasy would be my biggest. Went into GAME in the year XIII came out and wanted a new game since I hadn't had one for a while and had a look around. This popped up and I had a look and had heard of it (obviously I guess, considering it was on number 13) and pondered for a bit before giving it a try. Since then I went on to complete IV - IX and had so many amazing moments in them, and I enjoyed XIII for what it was and it got me into the series.

Also I suppose Battlefield Bad Company 2. Similar story, wanted an FPS that wasn't CoD but was a little casual with FPS titles then. Randomly decided to check what demos were on the PS store and tried it and loved it.

MBR

Banned
Mass Effect 1 for 360. I ordered it along with some other game because it was so cheap.
It ended up being in the top 3 of my 360 games, probably the game I spent the most time with on the system.

Team Fortress 2.

I had negative interest in the game but it was in the Orange Box so I had played all the other games and some friends really wanted me to play so.

"This game looks dumb as fuck guys. I don't even get what the hell you're supposed to do. Ugh, I don't understand this class stuff."

200+ hours later

"SPY SAPPIN' MAH SENTRY!? HIT HIM WITH YOUR WRENCH SHOW HIM OUR POWER!!"

Mass Effect 1. Back in 2009, got my first 360 plus a three game bundle which included Halo 3, Forza 2 and Mass Effect. Intended to play Halo 3 a lot, but I tried Mass Effect, didn't like Eden Prime, gave it a break for a day and then... I got hooked. My favourite game series ever.

xevis

Banned
Dragon Quest VI on DS.

For the longest time I kept passing it up, even though it was on sale for like $20. I kept telling myself "oh man, not another grindy animu RPG". Eventually I caved and bought it anyway. More than 100 hours later all I can say is I love this game. I love the characters, the vignettes, the jobs, the localisation. All of it. This game and DQ IX turned me into a total fan for the series.

Wesker28

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. I bought it because everyone said it was a great game, but it wasn't. In fact, it's the worst game I've ever played,

Rocket Knight Adventures.

As a kid who clearly had no idea about games at the time I asked my mum for the Beavis and Butthead Mega Drive game for Christmas. She couldn't get it, though, and so got me the above instead.

xevis

Banned
When I was 9 or 10, I wanted to buy Mischief Makers. Went with my brother and my father to the video game shop and my father looked at the box and said "Nah, there's something much better for your money". So he simply took our money, added a bit of his own and bought Ocarina of Time with that.
I was really disappointed on the way home since I wasn't interested in Zelda at all. Zelda is now one of my favorite games ever. Thanks, dad.

Did you ever go back for Mischief Makers? It's a really wonderful game. From Treasure no less!

The_Poet

Banned
Advanced Wars.

Never heard anything about it or knew what it was but thought it sounded cool, I was like 10 at the time and it turns out I bought it on release week.

Greatest purchase ever

Shmuppers

Went to a Gamestop when I was about 14 to buy Ghost of Sparta for my PSP, but they didn't have any copies. I picked up Persona 3: Portable instead because it was on sale; my life was changed forever.

sublimit

Banned
Tekken 3.
Before i played that game i wasn't a fan of fighting games at all but during summer 1999 a couple of friends were coming to my house almost everyday for some Tekken 3 local multiplayer.I really sucked at the game and i could almost never win a fight.Then one day the guy who had the game left it in my house and then he moved away.So i started to play the game a lot more and soon i was addicted to it.When after a month or two i played again with my friends it was ridiculous how easily i could beat them. :p
From that point on i tried many fighting game series but the Tekken series was the only one i liked (although i stopped with Tekken 6 which was terrible.)

I still have that guy's Tekken 3 disc and it brings back memories. :)

I remember getting Luigi's Mansion for Christmas one year instead of Super Smash Bros. Melee and being flabbergasted.

Thankfully the game was really enjoyable and I picked up Melee on my own later.

Lego Marvel Super Heroes

I had never played, nor had any interest in playing, any Lego games and only bought it because it was cheap and I wanted a new game to play while the missus was away for the weekend.

I love it! It's hilarious and fun too. I never get tired of seeing a little Lego spidey swinging around.

KHlover

Banned
Super Smash Bros., Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. We never had a console at home (we had a gaming pc and it was awesome though), so I only could play console games when visiting friends and my cousin. I had already played a couple N64 games and decently liked them (Gex, Ocarina of Time, Mario World and 64 mainly), but the day I visited my cousin and played Super Smash Bros. Melee, Kingdom Hearts 1 and Final Fantasy X with him my love for each of these franchises was born.

Final Fantasy VII still is my favorite tho :p

RK128

I think Other M fits into this.

My grandmother knew I liked Nintendo games and I told her I was looking forward to it, so when she visited my home one time, she came with the game :D (even had the pre-order bonus card things).

But, the game trashed my Wii's Disk Drive and....I hate it :(. Also didn't help that it trashed the character of one of gaming's strongest female characters! .....What are you gonna do :l; still got the Prime games, the GBA games and Super Metroid to play instead :).

ElTopo

Banned
Binding of Isaac. Played the demo on Newgrounds and thought it was meh. But I can't explain it, but for the hell of it I paid $5 on Steam and really started liking it.

Dark Souls is another one. First couple of hours (and 3rd attempt) I just wasn't feeling it. And on a forum I was posting on I vented a little, then the other Souls dudes mocked me and shit. And I decided to beat the game just to spite them and by the time I beat Ornstein and Smough I ended up loving it.

Sweet Home. I hate RPG's but I like oldschool horror games and really got into it. Haven't re-played it in forever though.

Doc_Drop

I picked up a 360 1-2 years after it had come out and only really had Fable 2 and maybe something else initially. A friend lent me his brother's copy of Fallout 3 as he wasn't playing it and fell in love instantly. I'd not played the originals, I had played the isometric Fallout on PS2, and played a bit of Morrowind & Oblivion, but Fallout 3 was not on my radar at all and both FO3 and FO:NV are my favourite games to play and I return to them repeatedly

dr labson

Neo Member
Def Jam Fight for NY.
My mother was buying a game for me back in 2007
I had to pick between a Tony Hawk game or Def Jam.
I picked Def Jam, because of the awesome boxart and flavor text like: "The crowd joining you in the fight" and "5 different fighting styles".

joedan

Donkey Kong Country 2.

Sometime in the mid 90s I sent the funds to a friend in the US to buy Killer Instinct for the Super NES for me and send it back to my country. I was kind of disconnected from the industry at the time [Internet wasn't around and only knew of games through television commercials and Nintendo Power magazine, a subscription which had run out]. Killer Instinct was the hype at the time and I was a huge fan of Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat. When the package arrived and I opened it it was Donkey Kong Country 2, rather than KI. I was kinda upset and at the next opportunity I gave the guy a call in the US and asked hin what happened to KI. He said that it was sold out but he had heard good things about DKC 2 so he bought it instead. I was like "...".

Then I started to play DKC 2...one of the best platformers ever!

Kingdom Hearts.

I was starting to get into RPG's and I went to my local Movie Gallery to rent Final Fantasy X or X-2 (forgot which one). Someone had already rented Final Fantasy but Kingdom Hearts was right next to it.

I was hesitant at first, because I had heard about Kingdom Hearts earlier but dismissed it due to the whole Disney connection. I decided what the hell and gave it a chance. Took it home, put it in my PS2 and as soon as I heard "Simple and Clean" I knew I was in for something great.

Razzorn34

Shadow of the Colossus

I completely ignored it for years since you really couldn't find a ton of information on it. I didn't play it till 2009 after seeing a thread with everyone praising it. Previews would have spoiled that game for me. I'm glad to have played it knowing absolutely nothing about what was in store.

It's my #1 game to this day.

MH3U

Bought 3ds ver during a sale.
3 days later I ordered the Wii U ver on amazon.
Game is probably everything that I want in a modern video game.

Edit: During my 360 days, Wolverine and 50 Cent Blood on the Sand.
Thanks to giantbomb quick looks, I had to run out and purchase these games.

I've been hooked on giantbomb every since.

Molemitts

Pokemon Silver. It was my brother's copy. One day I was bored had nothing to do, my brother's Game Boy, with a copy of Pokemon Silver in it, was just on the table, in my room, for some reason. I picked it up and gave it a try. I pretty much fell in love with the game instantly, kick starting my interest in Nintendo.

I made a list of games I wanted for christmas wanted. One of the games was a "meh, I'll just added just because."

Turns out, I loved it!! Mana Khemia: Student Alliance (psp)

Made my mom take me to target to get some SNES game, I can't remember. They didn't have it so my brother and I settled on some game called Pilotwings.

Top Bottom