• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dexmo - tactile feedback glove that provides real resistance to digits

Krejlooc

Banned
hRS19gG.jpg

One of the biggest and most ongoing problems VR faces is the problem of tactile touch feedback. Currently, the best solution is haptic rumble on the tips of our fingers ala conventional controllers. Explain to any joe schmoe how modern VR works and inevitably the question of "how do I touch objects that aren't there" gets raised.

It's not like the concept isn't hard to figure out, but the execution has proven extremely difficult. Enter Dexmo, a glove-like series of actuators that provides resistance to the digits of your fingers, extending to the tips of your fingers, to provide real-world shapes of objects as you touch them.

The way Dexmo works is that the position of your hands are tracked as they approach 3D objects. Once collision between your tracked hand and an object occurs, actuators resting on the top of your hand pull onto pivots on your fingers, which locks them from moving forward. This allows you to actually feel the shape of objects as you touch them, rather than merely rumbling when you approach them.

Regarding safety, apparently these actuators don't actually pull on your fingers, but merely prevent them from pushing forward, hence the risk of the machine malfunctioning and pulling your finger back and breaking it seems unlikely. Further, these gloves are being developed in close cooperation with Sixense, so they will work with the STEM system to provide positional tracking of your limbs if you wish to use that model. Presumably, because of the Sixense SDK's cross compatibility, it'll work with PrioVR as well.

This is the first real big push for tactile touch feedback I've seen. The creator of these gloves claims they intend to try and sell below $200, and are looking into a kickstarter. Probably worth keeping an eye on. Currently, the most obvious problem is the binary states of resistance it provides. Either you're touching something solid, or not. There is no way to currently approximate feelings of touching something soft or mailable. it's either solid and hard, or not.

PXHe10z.jpg

Krejlooc

Banned
Looks really cool, can see it being used for a lot of things D:

Indeed, I can see something like this being a big hit early on with 3D cad programs and stuff like that. Maybe not games explicitly, but this is a pretty good start for this tech.

Krejlooc

Banned
The last piece is in place.

there is still so much more that needs to be solved. Example - this only applies to fingers. You can still pass your arm or entire body through a solid object. And, counting headphones and eyes, this only covers 3 of our 5 senses.

But it's a start, at least. Combine this with maybe a full arm sleeve to provide resistance for arms and you would probably have something very convincing.

Edit: I changed my avatar back so there would be 3 Sonic's in a row.

5 :p

Regarding safety, apparently these actuators don't actually pull on your fingers, but merely prevent them from pushing forward, hence the risk of the machine malfunctioning and pulling your finger back and breaking it seems unlikely.

I still feel like this is going to break my fingers.

Edit:

Uhhh...Gotta go fast?

Krejlooc

Banned
I still feel like this is going to break my fingers.

It's not pulling or providing resistance like you think. It's working along a gear to move with your fingers. The actuators lock this gear in place.

Think, like, putting a bandaid right on the joint of your finger and how it prevents your finger from bending without actually pulling.

Rekubot

I wonder how many fingers were broken during the build phase. Looks really cool though, full limb control next plz

It's not pulling or providing resistance like you think. It's working along a gear to move with your fingers. The actuators lock this gear in place.

Think, like, putting a bandaid right on the joint of your finger and how it prevents your finger from bending without actually pulling.

I get that it (probably) won't break my fingers, it just seems like something that's going to break my fingers.

Krejlooc

Banned
Now we're talking.

I sort of doubt this stuff will be ready for games or even mass market adoption any time soon, but, like I said before, I can see these taking off as highly technical tools for certain sectors targeting VR. CAD programs would benefit from this enormously, and it'd probably have a lot of utility in research labs.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

if it is only providing resistance, then it is only a partial solution to feeling objects in the real world. And it would only be relevant for tracking your finger movements in a small space. It'll do nothing if you simply move your hand through an object, because your fingers aren't trying to move individually.

Krejlooc

Banned
if it is only providing resistance, then it is only a partial solution to feeling objects in the real world. And it would only be relevant for tracking your finger movements in a small space. It'll do nothing if you simply move your hand through an object, because your fingers aren't trying to move individually.

I mean, both of these points were brought up in the OP...

EDIT: Sorry, the bit about full arm clipping was in post 5.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I mean, both of these points were brought up in the OP...

EDIT: Sorry, the bit about full arm clipping was in post 5.

I guess I don't see why it can't pull your fingers back. You could calibrate it with physical stops or something so it can't pull them back beyond their natural limits.

And feeling soft (or malleable) objects should be doable by varying how much it resists as you push?

Krejlooc

Banned
I guess I don't see why it can't pull your fingers back. You could calibrate it with physical stops or something so it can't pull them back beyond their natural limits.

Aside from safety concerns, I think feeling the resistance on the back of your fingers pulling feels different than pushing on an invisible object.

And feeling soft (or malleable) objects should be doable by varying how much it resists as you push?

The tips on your fingers are still hard plastic, however.

Krejlooc

Banned
Check out the precision with these things, this is pretty nuts. Here is the Dexmo being used to control robot hands for bomb disposal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1ZQSoBAP7o

Here it is paired with Sixense's Razer Hydra for positional tracking of hands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZPpBcvmlps

because they are mechanical, they are not subject to many of the flaws and limitations of normal finger tracking technologies. This is really impressive.

Creator has been posting on reddit, the prices for these things sound great. They're trying to go as low as possible, he mentioned possibly a $60 single hand/$150 dual hand early bird tier, and also mentioned about $200 being their target price. On two hands being more than buying two single hands, "the communication module between the left hand and right hand are not cheap.."

Top Bottom