• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country & Donkey Kong Land coming to European Wii U/3DS eShop from 16/10

jimi_dini

I am a sad monkey. I don't remember to play them in Spanish.
Maybe they were Multi-3. French, German and English.

Nah, I'm pretty sure it was the good old efigs (english, french, italian, german, spanish).

The main menu didn't change (strangely), but the names of the levels did change and the dialog in game changed as well.

Currently at work atm, will check that later on Wii U to make sure.

Nintendo's choice to give people 50Hz games is of no benefit to anybody, and it's not a practice worth supporting.

The reason is translated games like Zelda LTTP. NTSC versions weren't multilingual, PAL were. So their options are: give everyone the english only version or the original multilingual PAL version.

Yes, they are, but DKC games works just like 60hz versions, so what's the problem?

They output at 50Hz, simple as that. 5 is not a factor of 6, so 50Hz games don't work well on the 60Hz screens that everybody in PAL land is using because it's two-thousand-and-motherfucking-fourteen. Nintendo's choice to give people 50Hz games is of no benefit to anybody, and it's not a practice worth supporting.

But I thought those DKC games were great even in PAL? Rare always optimised their PAL games very well, unlike Nintendo.
You're still playing them on a Wii U and thus:
As was previously said. The Wii U and gamepad only output in 60Hz, they do this by duplicating every 5th frame; resulting in scrolling being noticeably jerky. As a result it is still relevant even for this game.
They are still an inferior version.

They output at 50Hz, simple as that. 5 is not a factor of 6, so 50Hz games don't work well on the 60Hz screens that everybody in PAL land is using because it's two-thousand-and-motherfucking-fourteen. Nintendo's choice to give people 50Hz games is of no benefit to anybody, and it's not a practice worth supporting.

It's not the screens that's the problem they all support 50hz just fine cos tv is still all 50hz, it's the fact the Wii U doesn't have an option to output to it at 50hz

Will we ever know the reason on why they were taken down from the Wii VC in the first place?

Either way, DKC2 on the gamepad will be glorious.

The reason is translated games like Zelda LTTP. NTSC versions weren't multilingual, PAL were. So their options are: give everyone the english only version or the original multilingual PAL version.

It's no reason to screw over every English-speaking customer in PAL territories. A simple option to download the US or European version of the game, with a suitable explanation of "this one doesn't have non-English languages in it but won't play like shit", would fix everything. Hell, we're talking about 32MB games here; they could just give all customers both versions and allow them to switch between them in the Virtual Console menu thing.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nah, I'm pretty sure it was the good old efigs (english, french, italian, german, spanish).

The main menu didn't change (strangely), but the names of the levels did change and the dialog in game changed as well.

Currently at work atm, will check that later on Wii U to make sure.

Option 3: Give Europeans the translated AND the US version so they can choose what to play. Having two copies on the console doesn't do harm to Nintendo's rights, because you cannot transfer single games.

TheMoon

It's a shame that Nintendo flat out refuses to make 60Hz games available to people in PAL regions. That's the only problem here. There are loads of games I'd jump on immediately if there was a simple "Do you want to download the European or US version of this game" option in the Eshop.

Now that's simply a lie and you know it. I am right there with you and everybody else wanting the option to buy/download the US version of a game for proper 60HZ because I couldn't care less about translations but to fuel your rage with lies is just silly. They offer PLENTY of 60Hz games. They could've just kept shrugging it off and given us the PAL versions every time like they did on Wii but they didn't. Give them credit where they deserve it.

jwhit28

It's no reason to screw over every English-speaking customer in PAL territories. A simple option to download the US or European version of the game, with a suitable explanation of "this one doesn't have non-English languages in it but won't play like shit", would fix everything. Hell, we're talking about 32MB games here; they could just give all customers both versions and allow them to switch between them in the Virtual Console menu thing.

How would that work with the rating system? Would they have to rate each version in both territories?

TheMoon

Option 3: Give Europeans the translated AND the US version so they can choose what to play. Having two copies on the console doesn't do harm to Nintendo's rights, because you cannot transfer single games.

I'd love that option (as I said before! Just being clear before anyone throws defense force BS at my head) but consider that it likely doubles the age rating fees which for niche titles might be a nail in the coffin. Note: this is not supposed to be an excuse, I am simply presenting a potential scenario to consider lol.

mf luder

Any chance of these going back on the wii VC? I have wii shop points and could buy them on there and then upgrade onto the wii u for £1.50.

Rich!

Now that's simply a lie and you know it. I am right there with you and everybody else wanting the option to buy/download the US version of a game for proper 60HZ because I couldn't care less about translations but to fuel your rage with lies is just silly. They offer PLENTY of 60Hz games. They could've just kept shrugging it off and given us the PAL versions every time like they did on Wii but they didn't. Give them credit where they deserve it.

They don't deserve any credit whatsoever for giving us hacked together 50hz versions of Super Metroid, DKC2 and Link to the Past, especially when here in the UK we speak English. it is unnacceptable.

rjc571

Banned
I don't suppose there's any chance of them reappearing on the Wii Shop Channel, is there? I would much rather play them on the Wii, because there doesn't appear to be any way to get Wii U VC games to run in full screen on my 4:3 TV. The Wii U displays everything (except Wii mode) in letterboxed 16:9, and Nintendo stupidly forces VC content to run in a 4:3 window INSIDE the 16:9 window, rather than allowing it to take up the entire 4:3 television screen.

TheMoon

How would that work with the rating system? Would they have to rate each version in both territories?

Likely yes. At least with the USK since they are generally dicks about forcing you to even rate a demo and trailers separately.

They don't deserve any credit whatsoever for giving us hacked together 50hz versions of Super Metroid, DKC2 and Link to the Past, especially when here in the UK we speak English. it is unnacceptable.

Was I talking about 50Hz versions? No I was talking about the 60Hz versions. That they DO deserve credit for. Why is every VC topic always a ragefest? Seriously?

They better release these in North America. Or else. I already had all three games downloaded onto my Wii but I want to be able to play them on my Wii U.

I don't suppose there's any chance of them reappearing on the Wii Shop Channel, is there? I would much rather play them on the Wii, because there doesn't appear to be any way to get Wii U VC games to run in full screen on my 4:3 TV. The Wii U displays everything (except Wii mode) in letterboxed 16:9, and Nintendo stupidly forces VC content to run in a 4:3 window INSIDE the 16:9 window, rather than allowing it to take up the entire 4:3 television screen.

Someone using a 4:3 tv? What year is this lol

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'd love that option (as I said before! Just being clear before anyone throws defense force BS at my head) but consider that it likely doubles the age rating fees which for niche titles might be a nail in the coffin. Note: this is not supposed to be an excuse, I am simply presenting a potential scenario to consider lol.

Age ratings are usually per SKU, aren't they? So they should then just send the "double pack" as the only sku to USK, PEGI and whoever else there is. Make it not two separate copies of the game, but give the option to choose the version in the emulator. Otherwise something like Sonic's Genesis Collection would have been impossible to pay for the ratings. As far as I know Sega even has released collections where you could choose between different versions of a game.

TheMoon

Age ratings are usually per SKU, aren't they? So they should then just send the "double pack" as the only sku to USK, PEGI and whoever else is there. Make it not two separate copies of the game, but give the option to choose the version in the emulator. Otherwise something like Sonic's Genesis Collection would have been impossible to pay for the ratings. As far as I know Sega even has released collections where you could choose between different versions of a game.

That sounds like a viable solution to me.

I love how Nintendo stealth does shit like this.

Now they just need to stealth announce that unreleased Factor 5 Star Wars trilogy...

also

Banned
That sounds like a viable solution to me.

I've been thinking about this for a while. All the different versions should be included; NA, JP, and all the different PAL versions.
If there's any trouble with licensing, make that version an in-app purchase. Like, you get the NA and PAL versions for 5€ and if you want the JP version that features different music, which we have to separately license and pay the cost for, you gotta pay 0,5€.

That way everyone would be happy and we would get to experience the regional differences that can be quite drastic, e.g., Ninja Gaiden III or Zelda II.

But Nintendo sucks when it comes to VC so I doubt that will ever happen :/

maxcriden

Oh. Whoa. This is unexpected. Maybe I should try these again. If I found them blurry as heck on GBA and Wii VC, can I expect this to look any better?

They could've just kept shrugging it off and given us the PAL versions every time like they did on Wii but they didn't. Give them credit where they deserve it.

I don't think I need to pat them on the back for throwing out a bone or two and then continuing to put out 50Hz games. They've shown that they know the problem exists and people don't like it, but they're perfectly content to just keep doing it. I'm not trying to rage here, but you'll have to excuse me if I'm not overjoyed that I can play Balloon Fight in 60Hz when Super Metroid and A Link to the Past are still wallowing in 50Hz shittiness, with more 50Hz treasures on the way next week.

Neff

They were translated.
But people should not be warned. As I said in my previous post the games neither had PAL borders nor the typical PAL slowdown.
They have the same 4:3 format the NTSC versions had and they're running at the same speed.

The problem won't be the aspect ratio or speed, it'll be the judder which results by brute forcing 50fps into 60fps, and the 50hz speed of enemy/obstacle sprites. It looks extremely unpleasant and creates additional lag, since the first duplicated frame obviously won't respond to button presses.

The sooner they offer alternate regional downloads or simply give access to the US and JP stores, the better.

jimi_dini

Yes, that would be an option. Although you would have to change quite a bit in the VC emulator - I'm pretty sure that saved games wouldn't be compatible, so changing the version isn't that simple and could get confusing for the average customer.

The problem won't be the aspect ratio or speed, it'll be the judder which results by brute forcing 50fps into 60fps

Then Nintendo should fix the 50Hz output instead. I'm pretty sure that HDMI supports 50Hz, so they should be able to fix it.

They've shown that they know the problem exists and people don't like it, but they're perfectly content to just keep doing it.

Have you contacted them? I will do that, especially for DKC.

I think I bought DKC from the Wii VC, do I still get the discount for TF?

If not, then I have to re-buy DKC for Wii U (which isn't out until this offer starts?) in order to get the discount?

Tizoc

EU WiiGAF...what're the chances these games are gonna be 50 Hz? Or has Nintendo wisened up and is offering the 60 Hz ver.?

Finally seeing the DKC games again, huh... let's just hope they release in the US too!

They aren't as good as the SNES games, no, but they do push the Game Boy pretty hard. DKL1 is a fairly simple game, and is entirely different from the SNES game. It has four worlds, inspired by worlds from the SNES game, but with more levels in them than the SNES worlds (because there are fewer of them). It's good but not great; I got it back when it came out, but never bought its sequels until much more recently. DKL2 is an adapted version of the second SNES game, so it's very much like the SNES game but with altered levels to fit the GB's screen resolution. Because it's less original, it might be the least interesting of the three, though otherwise it's pretty good. DKL3 is sort of like DKL2 in that it follows the world order of the SNES game, but story-wise it's a new game, not a remake like DKL2 is. The levels look familiar, for anyone who's played DKC3, but are redone, more so than in DKL2. It's good, maybe the best of the three.

Overall though, the biggest problem with the DKL games is that that kind of graphics, with CG-animated sprites over highly detailed backgrounds, isn't a good fit for a handheld. Enemies blend into the backgrounds CONSTANTLY! The problem can be solved with the actual carts, because in a GBC or GBA sprites and backgrounds can be displayed as different colors, but GB VC on the 3DS doesn't support that because Nintendo is incredibly lazy, so it'll be back to black-on-black confusion, I guess. Annoying. They're still decent games, though... but I like them more on GBC/GBA due to the addition of color. And on that note, the DKC remake for GBC, and that Japan-only GBC version of DKL3, would also be pretty great to see...

Thanks for the info, I honestly don't expect Ninty to be competent enough to bring those other GB games on 3DS.
rIGHT NOW the one thing holding me back is the buttons, did Ninty's emulation policy state that they can't allow button remaps?

Phil S.

Banned
Hope these come to NA soon! I have them already on Wii VC, so I'd love to upgrade! Also, I haven't played the DKL games in over a decade, so I can't wait to try those out again!

also

Banned
Yes, that would be an option. Although you would have to change quite a bit in the VC emulator - I'm pretty sure that saved games wouldn't be compatible, so changing the version isn't that simple and could get confusing for the average customer.

Yeah, Nintendo would actually have to put some effort into to their emulators and implement some extra features. But hey, if they did that they could charge premium prices for VC... wait!

I'd like to believe the average costumer isn't an idiot. Boot up the game, show a selection screen between the NA and PAL console with a little bit of description. Like:
PAL: Stuttering mess that plays worse than your Wii version but may include your language.
NA: The way it was meant to be played. English only.

Keep the progress separate and allow to switch between them in a menu, with pictures!

Or even better, an animation could show different cartridges being inserted in the Wii U, so there would be no confusion between the JP and PAL SNES. I'm sure everyone would understand that different cartridge = different version with separate data.

Dr. Buni

Glad I have a Wii U now, so I can play the actual good versions of the DKC trilogy. The Land games aren't that good imo. If it comes to NA systems, of course.

Somnid

If it's coming to Europe it's coming to NA. That's kinda how the eShop works, the only thing is that you might not get that particular deal in North America.

JoeM86

If it's coming to Europe it's coming to NA. That's kinda how the eShop works, the only thing is that you might not get that particular deal in North America.

Yeah, just like North America has Pokémon Trading Card Game.

Oh :p

Remember how long it took for America to get Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario Kart? You can never tell with these things.

Pila

Why is every VC topic always a ragefest? Seriously?

I'm a big fan and I'm ready to pay the high prices they have for VC games, it's not like I'm raging for the sake of it.

They know people are upset about it, they have plenty of 60 hz VC games, I don't want them to choose when giving me a 60 hz game. I'm not a troll who likes to go "lol nintendo" just because. Rare did a good job on 50 hz? Good for them, I gave them my (parents) money at the time. Now the 90s are over, 60 hz please. =)

gerudoman

Screw the haters, I'm buying Donkey Kong Land 2. The way the managed to make a gorgeous and huge SNES game fit into a GB cartridge it's still impressive, and in my opinion it doesn't look that bad and it's perfectly playable.

Man, the Land trilogy and Link's Awakening truly are technological wonders, I don't think such efforts will ever be repeated.

I'm a big fan and I'm ready to pay the high prices they have for VC games, it's not like I'm raging for the sake of it.

They know people are upset about it, they have plenty of 60 hz VC games, I don't want them to choose when giving me a 60 hz game. I'm not a troll who likes to go "lol nintendo" just because. Rare did a good job on 50 hz? Good for them, I gave them my (parents) money at the time. Now the 90s are over, 60 hz please. =)

High prices?????????? They're only five pounds and forty-nine pence, that's like the price of two pints of beer

Risgroo

Screw the haters, I'm buying Donkey Kong Land 2. The way the managed to make a gorgeous and huge SNES game fit into a GB cartridge it's still impressive, and in my opinion it doesn't look that bad and it's perfectly playable.

Man, the Land trilogy and Link's Awakening truly are technological wonders, I don't think such efforts will ever be repeated.

DKL2 was my first game ever, should be fun to revisit it :)

Rich!

High prices?????????? They're only five pounds and forty-nine pence, that's like the price of two pints of beer

The problem is that, just like with Super Metroid and Link to the Past, the USA eshop will have a superior version of the same game for cheaper than what we are paying here for a gimped 50hz version.

sörine

Banned
I wonder if the games will be relisted for Wii as well?

Since Nintendo's bringing back delisted titles hopefully Sim City is next.

Top Bottom