• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country & Donkey Kong Land coming to European Wii U/3DS eShop from 16/10

£39.99 as it is a €50 tier game.

This question is sorta irrelevant since the PAL versions of the game looked and played exactly the same as the NTSC versions. They didn't have PAL borders or slowdowns.
As was previously said. The Wii U and gamepad only output in 60Hz, they do this by duplicating every 5th frame; resulting in scrolling being noticeably jerky. As a result it is still relevant even for this game.

I kind of want DKC TF but the purchase of a crap 50-Hz version of DKC kind of puts me off (and also largely offsets the saving).

Ktm2ffj.gif

They will all be mine, except maybe original DKL.
DKL3 is the one I've never played so it should be interesting seeing how the gimmick heavy DKC3 got shrunk down for the GB.
DKC2 is going on the gamepad, headphones in and it best be glorious.

Europe gets DKC and we get Castlevania this month, sounds like we need a hostage exchange to happen.
We should all be able to share in such gaming wealth, I'm ready to pounce on Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow, NoE just need to give the go ahead.

Pila

They were translated.
But people should not be warned. As I said in my previous post the games neither had PAL borders nor the typical PAL slowdown.
They have the same 4:3 format the NTSC versions had and they're running at the same speed.

I remember my PAL DKC1 having little black bars, am I crazy? It's been a while...

Well, I'm not buying 50 hz games on VC, screw it. Gimme the real deal or get lost. ^^

Funny, I think that of all the Land games I'd only ever get the first as it's the only one with really original levels and even an original world theme.

That's a good point but I remember its gameplay being a lot sloppier than the sequel, not sure how well I'd find it to go down these days.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
While the graphics and music take a big hit in the GBA version, they offer a lot of additional gameplay. DKC3 even adds a new world, but even DKC1, which is otherwise identical to the SNES version, adds a hard mode and a score attack mode. So it's not that clear cut which version is the preferable one. As a gameplay-first kind of person, I'd prefer the GBA versions, but the hit in music quality is really hard to take.

I'm absolutely loving Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. Music is godly. Which ones out of these select games are good for the Wii U VC? I've never played them. I was going to get The Wii one but not sure DKC2 and 3. How do they compare?

Marow

I think I'll end up buying this despite being 50hz, for better or for worse. I love the series and I no longer have my SNES here, so this is the only way. But it not being 60hz makes me cry. At least give us the option to choose, Nintendo. :(

Robin64

I'm absolutely loving Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. Music is godly. Which ones out of these select games are good for the Wii U VC? I've never played them. I was going to get The Wii one but not sure DKC2 and 3. How do they compare?

DKC2 is one of the greatest platformers of all time.

DKC3 has some good parts.

Yoshi

None of these games is really similar to DKCTF. DKCTF has very precise mechanics and is optimized towards "perfect performance". I'd say, DKC2 >> DKC3 > DKC1. DKC2 is a legitimate classic, but DKC1 is rather clunky and the horrible collision detection can really kill the enjoyment. I'd recommend buying DKC2 and if you really like it, give the the others a chance. The level design itself is good (DKC3) to great (DKC2) in all games.

They're all fantastic. I can never decide what my Favourite is, but I'd say DKC2 is probably the fan favourite. DKC2 also has the best soundtrack of the three. DKC3 is very under rated, and I love replaying levels in 1 to see how fast I can complete them.

Neo Child

Banned
Why not DKC for GameBoy Color on the 3DS too? That's a pretty decent port and looks a lot sharper than DKL1,2,3 though they are all new games in comparison.

The GBC version of DKL3 that only came out in Japan is okay, but doesn't really push the hardware to make it look like DKC for GBC - it's the same graphics just with added color.

Also, heres something interesting, when I was in Paris earlier this year looking at all the game shops - I saw a GBC version of Donkey Kong Country 2, Go figure, ive never seen or heard of that anywhere before?

TheMoon

I have all three on my Wii U via the Wii VC. Hopefully the upgrade discount applies for these, even though they've been off the Wii Shop Channel for years.

Why wouldn't it? There's zero reason to assume it would not apply. You bought it, you own the license on the console, thus -> upgrade discount.

Any hope that they might be 60Hz versions? I've got no time in my life for 50Hz Virtual Console games.

They were all translated. 0% chance. There never was.

3bdelilah

Banned
What is the reason the trilogy had been removed from the Wii VC a few years back? I thought it might had something to do with Rare, but that wouldn't make much sense since 1) at the moment they had been with Microsoft for a year or 7 already, and 2) all DKC licenses were with Nintendo?

Never played the Rare trilogy, absolutely loved both Retro DKC's, so I'm probably going to try these Rare ones if the pricing is right. But I think they haven't aged well e.g. needs more time getting into if you're used to Retro's DKC, right?

What is the reason the trilogy had been removed from the Wii VC a few years back? I thought it might had something to do with Rare, but that wouldn't make much sense since 1) at the moment they had been with Microsoft for a year or 7 already, and 2) all DKC licenses were with Nintendo?

Never played the Rare trilogy, absolutely loved both Retro DKC's, so I'm probably going to try these Rare ones if the pricing is right. But I think they haven't aged well e.g. needs more time getting into if you're used to Retro's DKC, right?

Nobody really knows

TheMoon

Why not DKC for GameBoy Color on the 3DS too? That's a pretty decent port and looks a lot sharper than DKL1,2,3 though they are all new games in comparison.

The GBC version of DKL3 that only came out in Japan is okay, but doesn't really push the hardware to make it look like DKC for GBC - it's the same graphics just with added color.

Also, heres something interesting, when I was in Paris earlier this year looking at all the game shops - I saw a GBC version of Donkey Kong Country 2, Go figure, ive never seen or heard of that anywhere before?

Sure you didn't see the GBA one? Because a GBC version does not exist. GBA had ports of all three games.

People speculated it was about the RARE logo being all over the game, including in-game assets like the coins and stuff. Nobody knows for sure. At least nobody that can tell us lol.

Javier

Not expecting this to start in America this week, as it's already confirmed we're getting the two remaining GBA Castlevanias on Thursday and releasing those alongside DKC seems too good for a single week.

But it's great to know these games are getting released. After being mysteriously taken out of Wii VC, I thought these were stuck in Copyright limbo or something.

TheMoon

But I thought those DKC games were great even in PAL? Rare always optimised their PAL games very well, unlike Nintendo.

They are. He's just default-whining. Everybody knows: if game translated = game 50Hz on PAL VC. Pretending to be surprised and throwing a fit is pure trolling and nothing else.

Rich!

They are. He's just default-whining. Everybody knows: if game translated = game 50Hz on PAL VC. Pretending to be surprised and throwing a fit is pure trolling and nothing else.

Absolutely not. Its a matter of principle for me. Super Metroid and Zelda are butchered in the Wii U versions.

I'm not paying a penny for any 50hz games in 2014. Ever.

Yoshi

People speculated it was about the RARE logo being all over the game, including in-game assets like the coins and stuff. Nobody knows for sure. At least nobody that can tell us lol.

If that was the reason, Microsoft should use the eShop release of DKC1-3 and DKL1-3 to announce Banjo-Threeie and remind all Nintendo fans that Rare is still alive. Though the DKLs could actually push players off Rare, so who knows ;).

Besides DKC3 where the port was more of a remake in that it had a new David Wise soundtrack (<3) and an entirely new world, the DKC GBA ports are kiiiiiiiiiinda shitty. The graphics are washed out which really doesn't do the pre-rendered CGI any favors, the original music suffers from the GBA's weaker sound-chip, you can tell rather than port the game they remade the game since some stuff level-design just feels 'off' (though I think the collision-detection may have been fixed in some areas as a result?) and it has a ton of out of place WACKY sound effects I hate which the SMB GBA 'remakes' also suffered from. The minigames were also dumb padding.

Definitely glad we're getting the SNES versions, though while it's a longshot a fan-project which redid Wise's DKC3 GBA soundtrack on the SNES and ported over those new levels to make an 'ultimate' DKC3 would be awesome. Eveline Fischer's original OST is still excellent and incredibly underrated; stuff like Water World has a great, almost Metroid-feel to it.

Rich!

Yes, they are, but DKC games works just like 60hz versions, so what's the problem?

No matter the optimization, 50hz does not fit into 60hz. This results on the Wii U in a repeat of one sixth every second. Which causes input delay and stutter, which will ruin a game like DKC2. It's not hyperbole at all.

Rich!

IIRC, Wii U doesn't output at 50Hz through HDMI or the gamepad, so I'm not sure what will happen with these games.

Repeated frames and increased input lag due to a dead period every second

Which in such a precision heavy platformer like DKC2 is unacceptable.

tolkir

Was SNES DKC Trilogy translated?

Spain got them in English.

jimi_dini

If that was the reason, Microsoft should use the eShop release of DKC1-3 and DKL1-3 to announce Banjo-Threeie and remind all Nintendo fans that Rare is still alive.

Banjo Kazooie is back...

KmdCPTP.jpg

in Project Spark.

Was SNES DKC Trilogy translated?

At least DKC2 was:
Xwkdz6W.png

The game was multilingual in Europe. I'm pretty sure that Spanish was included as well. It wasn't different ROMs like Link To The Past.

tolkir

At least DKC2 was:
Xwkdz6W.png

The game was multilingual in Europe. I'm pretty sure that Spanish was included as well. It wasn't different ROMs like Link To The Past.

I am a sad monkey. I don't remember to play them in Spanish.
Maybe they were Multi-3. French, German and English.

Neo Dark

According to this there is http://fantendo.wikia.com/wiki/Donkey_Kong_Country_2_(Game_Boy_Color), maybe it was a very limited print.

That's a fan site like fan fiction. Unless new Super Mario bros Wii all star quest got released and as a big nintendo fan, I completely slept through it

http://fantendo.wikia.com/wiki/New_Super_Mario_Bros._Wii:_All-Star_Quest

Edit: well it's not really fan fiction but seems more like info on modded versions of games. So things on there aren't official.

Top Bottom