• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face-Off: Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition

On balance, United Front Games succeeds in creating the ultimate edition of its open-world crime drama, giving PS4 and Xbox One owners the most eye-catching console release so far. The only snag is that, in aspiring to the PC's top-end visual standard, the struggling 20-30fps performance is a high price to pay for this luxury. And with visible tearing creeping in too, the current-gen console experience doesn't feel quite as definitive as we'd hoped.

Compared to PC, the only visible console-side sacrifices are the lower-grade ambient occlusion - appearing faintly more intrusive on Xbox One - and a more prominent depth of field effect. But between the Sony and Microsoft releases, PS4's main advantage is undeniably on the performance front; Xbox One hitting the bottom end of the 20-30fps band during our tests, while segments of play unfold at 25fps at its worst on PS4.

The end result is that only the new PC version lives up to its Definitive Edition moniker. But are its extra touches worth the extra money for owners of the original PC release? While the broadened draw distances are a major plus, we'd argue many other tweaks are simply too subtle to justify another expense. Edits to character model designs, upped object density and new city atmospherics are welcome. But it's fair to say, for most developers, much of this falls into the territory of a courtesy, free post-release patch.

Be that as it may, for those arriving from the heavily stunted Xbox 360 and PS3 versions to this new release, it's a whole new world. On top of the ramp up in city detail, the Definitive Edition's inclusion of DLC missions, such as Nightmare in North Point, bolster the package's overall value. Neither PS4 nor Xbox One deliver the perfect playthrough - but if you can turn a blind eye to its performance lurches, there's still plenty to enjoy here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBwb9-okF3A

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

boinx

Hmm, kinda surprised they could not get this game to run 60fps on nextgen, I mean at least the original game even with higher res textures on PC wasn't much of a looker if you as ask me. I guess this is a case of low effort.

TraBuch

Banned
Hmm, kinda surprised they could not get this game to run 60fps on nextgen, I mean at least the original game even with higher res textures on PC wasn't much of a looker if you as ask me. I guess this is a case of low effort.

What? The original version was absolutely gorgeous on the PC. Driving through downtown at night while it was raining was pretty mind-melting

AtVB07d.gif

Sub 30fps re-release on new hardware at full price seems absolutely pointless. And the most pointless aspect of that formulation is the framerate. Ye gods.

gossi

It came out in the UK last week, I've done 7 hours on the Xbox One version.

It's a mess. Screen tearing during cutscenes, and low fps which makes controlling cars difficult.

Madness

I knew Xbox One struggled and I had been hearing the PS4 version was pretty bad as well. Kind of pathetic that they can't even get the game to locked 30 fps. I'm not a numbers guy, but come on, we're talking dips down to 20-21 at times on Xbox One. Cut back on some visual fidelity or something.

hagege_s

Banned

Yep. GTA V is coming next month, they had to launch it before.

Wizman23

Banned
The fact that this is 60 dollars is a fucking joke. 60 dollars for a half assed port that runs like shit on new consoles. The devs of this game should be ashamed of themselves.

UFG couldn't get TR DE to 60fps on Xbone either, they should've let Nixxes handle the port.

Omni

I knew Xbox One struggled and I had been hearing the PS4 version was pretty bad as well. Kind of pathetic that they can't even get the game to locked 30 fps. I'm not a numbers guy, but come on, we're talking dips down to 20-21 at times on Xbox One. Cut back on some visual fidelity or something.
I think this is more the case of a shitty port. There's no reason why this game shouldn't hit a locked 30fps on both consoles.

Xando

Sounds like a quick cashgrab from Squeenix.
UK charts seem to suggest not many customers fell for it though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Xbox One hitting the bottom end of the 20-30fps band during our tests, while segments of play unfold at 25fps at its worst on PS4.

REMASTERRRRRRRRRRRR

bosseye

Heard it was a bit of a cruddy remaster and it appears whoever told me was right.
Won't be bothering. Still got the original PC version to work through at some stage.

This Definitive Edition seems to be a low budget port made with a short development time. And the high price don't help much.

Sounds like a quick cashgrab from Squeenix.
UK charts seem to suggest not many customers fell for it though.

My local GAME store was only selling five copies

I don't like to criticise devs but in this case they can get fucked. Disappointed Sleeping Dogs fan

Shameful considering 4A Games (Metro) have a team of less than 100 people and managed to port two fantastic games, a bundle that costs half as much.

shandy706

Doesn't look like I'm ever playing this on the consoles :(. I kinda want to pick it up to encourage the continuation of the series, but I'm not spending money on this with a PC option.

HardRojo

Poor port job. Was waiting for this but with performance like that there's no way I'll be paying full price. Will wait for $40 or $30.

Ramza

Banned
Was this game really that much more demanding than the Tomb Raider DE that SE got to almost 60fps on PS4?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I love this game but that performance is unacceptable for a remaster. The game deserves better than a shoddy port sold at full price during a busy season.

Top Bottom