• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face-Off: Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition

I think that was the sharpening filter that appeared in upresed games. I think crushed blacks are in every game.

They aren't crushed in every game. The last game that had the issue was Titanfall I believe and even Destiny looks identical for both consoles. I think the developers didn't account for the different gamma curve or something. Very annoying and it happened in the 360 version as well.

Pollux

Well shit. This was one of my top 5 of the generation last time around. I'll still buy it tomorrow and platinum it because I never got the chance to get 100% last time around. But I'm only doing that because of a bestbuy gift card.

Prologue

Sounds like the ps4 version is fine, besides the occasionally fps dip to 25. Still seems like a good purchase, especially with the b2g1 free deal coming around the corner.

Corgi

Banned
Just buy the original on PC if you have a good PC. The Definitive Edition version seems to be worse than the original, framerate wise, at least according to the article.

you can't buy the original anymore and no shit the game will perform a bit worse due to a bunch of new effects heftier traffic etc. in place. It's still not hard to get a pretty solid 60fps with a decent recent card. Just dial a few settings back.

dumping my impressions of the pc version here from another thread:

played a few hours of this on pc. don't think the screens posted do it justice, it does look quite a bit better.

The easiest way to paint a word picture is, you know how nvidia physx implementation worked for other games? aka tons of dust/particle and debris everywhere.

This game pretty much is that. It's like god decided to dump liquid nitrogen over hong kong. It's a bit excessive at times, but not too bad. There is performance hit, but turning down a few things and i still can hit 60fps on my 780.

It does look quite good though. The best game out there in terms of getting a foggy rainy night look down.

Also as mentioned above, this does seem like the first pc game where it has xb1 icons if you have a xb1 controller plugged in, which is pretty neat.

And the little things to list:

- car traffic is more, but not enough to fuck up your driving.

- new phone UI. looks like a cheap iOS knockoff.

- dlc is integrated better into the game and isn't just dumped on you out of the gate (legendary outfit vendors to buy the dlc outfits, not sure when zodiac tournament unlocks yet).

- extra human traffic on the sidewalks and market area is mixed. it looks better and more 'realistic', but the extra people makes chases more annoying, and tons of weird ai issues with them which aren't game breaking, but are a bit immersion breaking when a guy is falling through the roof. Game is bit more buggy than the original, but nothing game breaking yet.

- counter animation wiff is completely new, also feels a bit longer. enemies attack a bit faster too, so you have less counter window (maybe it isn't but feels like that).

- think vehicle handling been changed a bit. easier to turn for the most part... and i think all cars got a speed boost. even the scooter is pretty damn fast.

- still have no clue whats the point of buying ac and a new bed for your first apartment.

overall, if you own pc version already, and have the itch for a replay, $15 for a different/better looking game, with better integrated dlc. I'd say, sure why not. Otherwise wait for sale, with how frequently the original went on pc, you'd probably be able to get this really cheap in the next year or so.

pc version is fine for the most part besides some artistic changes. Console version sounds borked though.

Makes you curious how GTA5 will run on next gen. First attempt on a new console for open world city stuff is never pretty.

didn't GTA4 run at mid 20s average?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Very disappointing after the TRDE they did, they should have worked from the PC version on ultra and upgraded it from there, looks like they just ported the lastgen consoles versions over a 1080p, but very badly.

bede-x

PC continues to flex its muscles this early into the generation. This is really disappointing knowing how I was able to run this at a near locked 60 on my old 7850 two years ago.

I don't own any multiplats on my PS4 and this trend won't change anytime soon.

I really like the console experience and want to buy multiplatform games on PS4, but when the difference is between 25-30fps on console and 60fps on PC, the choice is easy. This is just the first year of the generation and already the PC is so far ahead. The divide is only gonna get bigger.

Oh well, at least there's a format for those of us that desire 60fps games.

Biker19

Banned
Those weak cpus?

I doubt it. More like rushed ports for consoles.

Just buy the original on PC if you have a good PC. The Definitive Edition version seems to be worse than the original, framerate wise, at least according to the article.

The original version on Steam is gone, dude. Sadly. :(

The only choices for the original version now, are on either 360 or on PS3.

The framerate was abysmal in last-gen versions of GTA V, so I wouldn't necessarily assume the PS4/XB1 ports are going to be a solid 30fps.

That's because GTA V ran on weaker hardware (being on Xbox 360 & PS3).

PS4 & Xbox One are much stronger than those two consoles & should definitely be able to handle the game with a steady 30 FPS.

OryoN

The ps3 and the 360 already had 8 and 6 threads, so i don't see the parallelism point.
The fps dropping much more on the One also indicate it being gpu bound.

The whole parallelism discussion these days focuses on workload among multiple cores, not just threads. Last gen games by default - expecially targeting multi platform - weren't too heavy on parallelism. Using those older engines won't really take advantage of these 8-core CPUs. I don't know the real reason why this game performs so poorly at times, but given what the GPU's in these consoles are capable of(especially PS4), and the nature of these types of games, it's logical to imagine them hitting a CPU performance barrier before a GPU one(poor coding aside).

AmyS

I skimmed through the article quickly, going back to re-read it after some coffee. I am still trying make up my mind about getting the PS4 version.

Here is the takeaway for me on Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition on the newest consoles (before I re-read it).

-Both PS4 and Xbox One run the game at native 1080p.

-Both have visual settings comparable to the highest settings on PC.

-Both consoles fall well short of a locked 30fps.

-PS4 framerate bottoms out at 25fps

-Xbox One framerate bottoms out at 20fps

Kssio_Aug

What the hell! Why did they ported it if it was going to be so bad? Theres no chance in this world I would buy this game again with sub 30fps, and by the price theyre selling it sounds crazy!

- J - D -

The reduced/missing neon light effects on the new versions is pretty sad. The lights are one of the main visual attractions of SD's world. To have them cut down here is massively disappointing.

Is it safe to say that when DF says they ran thw game at max settings, they mean withoOUT anti-aliasing mode set to Extreme? It puts a heavy burden on gpus. They hardpy mention AA in the article at all, just merely that the new console versions use some level of FXAA.

Teletraan1

Banned
The definitive edition on PC looks worse than the old version to me and is a lot more taxing. Even if it is somehow technically better it is definitely not worth the performance drop for what they produced here. After I saw that I had no hope this would be a good port on console. Pure pre-GTA cash grab.

Ridiculous. I had high hopes for this rel...actually I'm going to stop myself right there. I had modest hopes for this release and they weren't able to meet even those. Sub 30 fps and you call it a definitive edition? Pathetic.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
PS4 version looks fine enough. From their video, it looks like it holds 30FPS probably 95% of the time. This is probably the same deal we'll be getting with GTA5 remaster, so I don't get the outrage.

B-Dex

It isn't a bad port it looks and runs better than the 360 or ps3 versions at a higher res. maybe the PC version is bad.

And the dlc is integrated really well I noticed a few new missions that unlock dlc outfits.

Enjoying my time with it all over again.

It isn't a bad port it looks and runs better than the 360 or ps3 versions at a higher res. maybe the PC version is bad.

And the dlc is integrated really well I noticed a few new missions that unlock dlc outfits.

Enjoying my time with it all over again.

?????

malfcn

Sounds definitively awful.

I know a lot of people want 60fps,
but it couldn't even do a stable 30?

With The Evil Within I am enjoying the game immensely, even with he jittery performance.
But I'd expect more from a last gen port.

Top Bottom