• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face-Off: Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition

SerTapTap

Yeah seems pretty apparent it's a poor port job, which is a shame. I started up the PS3 version (thanks PS+) yesterday and while I probably won't get too far in it (a little open world goes a long way for me...I prefer they be too short than too long), I really love the setting and how the story was (so far) told, it's a really unique setting for a game, something not totally made up, but still a culture that's rarely represented in video games.

OryoN

Why? It takes a pretty decent gpu to run this at 60, locked 30 is the best either could pull off at 1080p.

Not to mention the workload the CPU has for these types of games, especially if the engine wasn't built for major parallelism to begin with. Still though, below 30fps for an enhanced port is pretty sloppy.

AmFreak

Not to mention the workload the CPU has for these types of games, especially if the engine wasn't built for major parallelism to begin with. Still though, below 30fps for an enhanced port is pretty sloppy.

The ps3 and the 360 already had 8 and 6 threads, so i don't see the parallelism point.
The fps dropping much more on the One also indicate it being gpu bound.

SerTapTap

So about the PC version... Just I that preferred the original look?

Well from what Iv'e seen it's not very different aside from "dat pop", and colors shouldn't be broken by default anyway, if you like oversaturated colors just fiddle with your monitor settings.

Asmodai48

Yea atleast for Ps4, if they had dropped a couple of settings a notch im sure it would have been pretty consistent 30fps.

gossi

For those wondering - it's actually GPU bound issues.

CPU on PS4 is 1.6ghz, on Xbox One it's 1.75ghz. However Sleeping Dogs performs slightly better on PS4.

On Xbox One they use the June SDK API calls to disable Kinect sensors to claw back 10% GPU reservation - however they fail to send the API calls properly. When they flick to menus they re-enable Kinect, however when dropping back to gameplay they sometimes don't disable Kinect sensors. You can test this yourself by looking at the infrared lights on the front of the unit. Even with Kinect disabled, however, you're looking a few frames per second less than on PS4, as PS4 has a slightly better GPU.

It's a little upsetting to hear about performance issues, and you can buy the 360 version for £8 right now online at some stores compared to this rather rushed 'definitive edition'

Kysen

The PC edition shows a change in 1080p performance too. On our Core i7 3770k PC, equipped with a GTX 780 Ti and 16GB of RAM, we're left with lower metrics after the upgrade. Surprisingly, the vanilla version gets us an average of 75.1fps during its benchmark, with all settings set to maximum, and v-sync disengaged to unlock the engine frame-rate. The Definitive Edition, meanwhile, running with its added fog effect and improved draw distances, gets us an average of 50.1fps in the very same maxed out tour of the city.

Awesome port!

Sakujou

Banned
seeing this shit makes me angry. this gen is pretty much a rerelease or remastered gen and some games have so less effort so why releasing it again in the first place. rework your fucking games before releasing them AGAIN FOR FULL RETAIL-PRICES.

and people are buying this mess, this is actually the worst.

sub 30fps in bad moments... this game is already a few years old, where is the problem in updating it a bit?
what the fuck.

Valnen

Awesome post!
So they added an effect and upped the draw distance and the framerate went down?!?
These lazy devs ...
When you compare this to every other remaster on current gen it's the worst one. If you drop below 30 fps in a remaster of a last gen game you've seriously failed somewhere, especially when it doesn't even look that much better.

SerTapTap

Awesome post!
So they added an effect and upped the draw distance and the framerate went down?!?
These lazy devs ...

You mean as opposed to the several other remasters that upped draw distance as well as many other things SD didn't upgrade and either kept a stable 30 or upped to stable 60? Considering the complaints TLOU:R got for dropping a couple frames every couple of hours, I'm amazed there's anyone defending this one on a technical level.

Armaly

Just buy the original on PC if you have a good PC. The Definitive Edition version seems to be worse than the original, framerate wise, at least according to the article.

You can't even buy vanilla off of steam anymore so new owners are stuck with DE unless they throw out a patch I guess.

7a05edefaa.jpg

RowdyReverb

I would have rather taken 900p or even some weird res like 1500x1080 on XB1 if it meant a more stable framerate. I'll wait and see if they release a performance patch before pulling the trigger on this one.

c0de

On Xbox One they use the June SDK API calls to disable Kinect sensors to claw back 10% GPU reservation - however they fail to send the API calls properly. When they flick to menus they re-enable Kinect, however when dropping back to gameplay they sometimes don't disable Kinect sensors. You can test this yourself by looking at the infrared lights on the front of the unit. Even with Kinect disabled, however, you're looking a few frames per second less than on PS4, as PS4 has a slightly better GPU.

What does that come from?!

gossi

You mean as opposed to the several other remasters that upped draw distance as well as many other things SD didn't upgrade and either kept a stable 30 or upped to stable 60? Considering the complaints TLOU:R got for dropping a couple frames every couple of hours, I'm amazed there's anyone defending this one on a technical level.

I've actually played this for 7 hours on console. Trust me: it is a mess. It's not just performance either - there are bugs aplenty. I had a "Mission failed" screen appear during a cutscene yesterday, crashed to "desktop" twice, got stuck in combat once, and had a mission where you're supposed to tail a character in a van which wouldn't start due to traffic in the way.

RowdyReverb

Wow, good find if true. I'd never have noticed.

Jack cw

Wasnt United Front Games responsible for this port?
They also ported the xbone version of TR earlier this year and it was considerably worse than its PS4 counterpart. Full price and shit performance... I'll stick with my 2,99$ Steam version of the original.

Armaly

Is this considered standard practice? Sounds like a pretty massive dick move to me

Only other time I remember this happening was when Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut came onto steam. Most publishers just keep vanilla on but never put it on sale and instead push the new version during sales.

A good port should be 1080p 60 with some minor graphical improvements.

A semi-realistic port should be 1080p 30fps locked with no dips with some minor graphical improvements.

But with what we are getting, It shouldn't even be full price. Try 30 to 40 with an upcoming patch.

Mohasus

Guy was talking about the PC versions only. It is pretty obvious that if you improve the AO (the original one is horrible and you can't disable it. I think it is using HBAO+ now or something similar and it is expensive), draw distance/density, add volumetric fog your framerate will go down.

ICPEE

Just buy the original on PC if you have a good PC. The Definitive Edition version seems to be worse than the original, framerate wise, at least according to the article.
Jesus

Ricky-Gervais-Facepalm-Laugh-Reaction-Gif.gif

Definitive Edition my ass. This version is a joke.

AmFreak

Read the post i answered to (it's about the pc version's fps drop)

Jack cw

But with what we are getting, It shouldn't even be full price. Try 30 to 40 with an upcoming patch.

Wouldnt bet on it. There is no reason for SE to keep spending money on this only for optimization. This will sell rather poorly and its running ok enough to cash on some uninformed people or ignorant to sub 30 fps.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'd rather a Sleeping Dogs made from the ground up for next gen consoles than a last gen port, that's not that impressive looking.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Where there's any cluttering of vehicles around the city's downtown area, we see the performance ranging between 20-30fps on both platforms. From our frame-rate analysis, the game hits 22fps at its lowest point on Xbox One, while PS4 shows 25fps at its worst in comparable scenes.

this is pretty pathetic. what the point of an Xbox One/PS4 port when you still have massive performance issue just like with PS3 and 360.

Top Bottom