• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For $30/£20 a year EA Access is blowing me away

Gowans

I was dubious at the start but we EA leaving titles in the vault and after adding a couple more full Games and trails I'm recommending EA Access as a no brainer to any friends with a XBone.

PVZ Garden Warfare was the cherry on top, I adore that game.

Full Games:

- Madden 25
- FIFA 14
- Battlefield 4
- Peggle 2
- Need for Speed Rivals
- Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare

6 Hour Game Trails (Available 7 Days Before Release)
- FIFA 15
- Madden 15
- NHL 15
- (NBA & Dragonage Shortly)

& 10% off all EA Purchases (Game/DLC)

How are you finding it GAF?

I don't see the point in paying to access old games I can get for cheap anyway, and still have to pay for the new releases. Why subscribe when I still have to pay for the games I want to play anyway?

R3TRODYCE

For the price it's a great value and I'm loving it but I feel like they're going to raise the price one day because it's too good of a value.

Im not convinced Dragon Age Inquisition will be 5 hours or so of play, they said at least 2 hours iirc for games but didn't narrow DAI down.

But still I think its great value

Scanna

I don't see the point in paying to access old games I can get for cheap anyway, and still have to pay for the new releases. Why subscribe when I still have to pay for the games I want to play anyway?

buy those games for 3€ each and we'll talk.
Great deal, subscribed for a month, will do again

I guess it's good if you like EA's titles. If it were a few years ago I'd probably be excited because they had a period in which I liked a lot of them but right now I'd most of EA's titles don't interest me and those that do get ruined by them in some form or another. But as far as games as a service go, I think it's one of the weaker offerings on the market, at least for the types of games I prefer.

If I was really, really, really into EA games, I could see how it has value. But I haven't touched an EA game in years, so it has zero value to me.

Bgamer90

Banned

You do realize that the free games in the vault currently come out to a total of more than $100 right?

PVZ alone is $40. You can pay $30 for a year subscription, get the game for $10 less on top of being able to play other EA titles and new EA titles via trials.

Seems like really good value to be honest. It's the kind of quality PS+ used to be, but nowadays we don't get any proper retail games. I am hoping it kicks off with Driveclub and we get Tomb Raider for free or something.

liquidtmd

Banned
As a PS4 owner, I'm jealous. Some like to mock EA for 'being EA', but this offers some great hours of gaming for comparatively little cost.

Just over £2 for each of those six titles for the year?? Crazy good.

JdFoX187

Banned
I keep debating it. Have Rivals and BF4 on the PS4, but I never picked up PvZ, though I hear it's good. Think I might wait until after the November gauntlet has run its course and see where I stand with maybe getting it. It's a good value, though.

There is nothing there I'd really want to play. If I wanted Need for speed, peggle, or pvz I'm sure I could find them for much cheaper than 30 dollars a year.

Even if you did want the sports games I imagine waiting a bit and squatting on craigslist would yield a better deal.

Noobcraft

Show me where I can buy all of these for $30.

- Madden 25
- FIFA 14
- Battlefield 4
- Peggle 2
- Need for Speed Rivals
- Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare

It's worth it for PVZ GW alone.

I don't particularly like EA games but if this same service came to the PS4 I would double dip. If EA keeps adding games to the vault I'm going to need a bigger hard drive soon (500GB is seriously not enough)

Aeqvitas

It has been great for me. You can't get all the games in the vault for $30, and for someone who is already going all digital, getting DAI for 10% of and early access is icing on the cake. The vault let me play some types of games I never would have spent a cent on (sports) and find out I actually had some fun. I am totally fine with playing older sports titles because I could care less about roster updates. The teams could be randomly generated names and I wouldn't know the difference.

I would love to learn what the adoption rate for it has been and if EA titles have a greater digital growth on XB1 as a result.

I am genuinely sad that my comrades on PS4 can't have the option of deciding for themselves if this service is good because it isn't a good value for them. I'm pretty sure if it was available, it would get equally good satisfaction on that platform.

DaNcaKe

At this stage in the console's life cycle, your argument doesn't really hold up.

Really surprised that it's good value from EA at tĥe minute. Would be really impressed if they manage to keep this up at the same price point.

You do realize that the free games in the vault currently come out to a total of more than $100 right?

Are you the kind of guy who sees Aliens: Colonial Marines on sale for a dollar and think "I'd be a fool not to buy it at that price"?

Yes, that's a heck of a lot of games for £20. Doesn't mean you're going to play them all. Again, why do I want FIFA 14 when 15 is out? Even if I'm the kind of guy who buys sports games a year late for a cheaper hobby, I can get FIFA 14 for less than £5 second hand.

Heartfyre

Personally, I'm still not seeing the value in it. Accessing older games has a limited purpose: if I wanted to play them, I would have bought them when they came out. If I was so-so on playing them, it's a big investment for games I have no strong feelings for. Whatever anemic discount they give on new titles is erased by the noncompetitive pricing on the marketplace.

A publisher subscription model where you got each game they made as they released, even if it were a more expensive annual service, would suit my preferences better. But not as it stands.

duessano

Yeah, it's really a great service, and it's an absolute shame that Sony wasn't on board with it.

Yeah right.

Madden and Fifa 14 were on gamefly for 9.99 and need for speed rivals was on there for 17.99. Battlefield 4 without premium can be found for 20-40 used.

I've been ready but I'd prefer to buy membership via a code, like I do everything on Xbox. I though for sure those would be available online by Dragon Age.

jem0208

Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare - £28.49

Battlefield 4 - £26.45

Madden 25 - £16.20

Fifa 14 - £14.86

Need for Speed: Rivals - £31.99

Peggle 2 - £9.99

Total: £127.98

How is this not good value again?

Also, since when has a 1 year old game been considered old?

Sure I see the value in it but I still don't want this to become mainstay. As long as it's kept on X1, it won't reach a wider audiance and hopefully other publishers won't dollow.

Salvadora

ubisoft and activision.

that is why this is a bad idea.

every year we'd be paying 200 bucks for subscriptions.
Is that a bad thing?

Obviously I'd rather not pay multiple subscriptions, but if they deliver this kind of value, why not?

Presumably you would save money by not having to buy as many (or any) games.

zinder

Not really feeling it. You are basically only getting the previous game in every franchise, which I doubt many players gonna play. Like who is going to play Madden 25 and FIFA 14 when the game that's currently out is superior in every way?

But great markering from EA as usual. This gives them free money basically.

wapplew

ubisoft and activision.

every year we'd be paying 200 bucks for subscriptions.

Nah, its not that bad.
I mean if I could pay 200 buck for all EA, Ubi, Acti, SE, Capcom games per year, still a lot cheaper than I buy them all.
Sure it's older games, but still good value.

liquidtmd

Banned
Are you the kind of guy who sees Aliens: Colonial Marines on sale for a dollar and think "I'd be a fool not to buy it at that price"?.

If any of the six games were of the quality of CM, people would be forcefully making that point over and over. People love to rag on EA.

But they aren't. And they're not. Sometimes a good deal is a good deal.

I'm not sure why you're trying to make this hypothetical point to the poster you're quoting for saying what they said.

ubisoft and activision.

If the Evil Ubi and Activision offered me six games of equal quality that I liked for £20 a year instead of £120+ year for the lot, consider me turning to the darkside

VanWinkle

Madden and Fifa 14 were on gamefly for 9.99 and need for speed rivals was on there for 17.99. Battlefield 4 without premium can be found for 20-40 used.

Even if you're scouring used games on Gamefly, everything together would still be much more than the $30 yearly fee, and on EA Access you have the convenience of digital, plus added benefits beyond the vault of games.

Bgamer90

Banned
Are you the kind of guy who sees Aliens: Colonial Marines on sale for a dollar and think "I'd be a fool not to buy it at that price"?

Uhh... No? Again, the service depends on whether or not you are interested in the games. (Also, I would say that none of the games in the vault are that terrible lol).

Yes, that's a heck of a lot of games for £20. Doesn't mean you're going to play them all. Again, why do I want FIFA 14 when 15 is out? Even if I'm the kind of guy who buys sports games a year late for a cheaper hobby, I can get FIFA 14 for less than £5 second hand.

Heh, now you are making arguments just for the sake of doing so. You say that as if sports games are the only genre in the vault. Battlefield 4, Peggle 2, and Plants Vs. zombies all come out to more than $30. If you are interested in those games, on top of being able to get discounts on new EA content and trials for new EA games (before they release) then I don't see how it's a bad deal.

Of course you have to be interested in the games (or deals) to want it. That's pretty much the whole point.

Top Bottom