• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For $30/£20 a year EA Access is blowing me away

Nah, I'd rather own what I pay for.

And at least with PS+ or GWG, the "indefinite yearly rental" comes as a function of beneficial/neccessary system-level functionality (online gaming service), so it's actually a bonus/value-added thing rather than an erosion of ownership/profit center for the publisher.

I guess if you really, really love playing EAs games more than anyone else's, but were only gonna rent/flip them anyway, its worth it.

ubisoft and activision.

that is why this is a bad idea.

every year we'd be paying 200 bucks for subscriptions.

It's just an option. It's not like you need EA Access to get the games, so if you don't find value in the service, what's the problem?

Anyway, I like it so far. PvZ is an awesome addition to the vault.

Alx

It's a great deal for those who want to go full digital but still like to try a bit of everything. I wouldn't have bought PvZ or Fifa at full price, but for half the price of a full game I could try those, and many others (BF, NFS, Peggle)
Two months after release it's already a steal, if they keep going at this rate for the next 10 months it will be a no brainer. Actually I expect EA to double or triple the subscription after the first year, right now it's too good to last.

dugdug

Banned
Its the first thing EA has done, that wasn't ridiculously anti-consumer, in a long time.

They're still not on my good side, but, I did try it for a month. Its a decent value, but the selection isn't quite there yet, for me. If they really stand by the whole "we'll never take games out of rotation" thing, and just keep adding games to it, in a few years, it'll be a staggering deal. Provided the price doesn't go up, of course.

Ashtar

IT does seem like a good deal if you're at all into EA games but I hate the precedent this would set. I know I'd subscrione if ubi offered something similar :(

JP

I can see it being good value for some people depending obviously on the games they would usually buy. For me, I don't see it being worth the price party because I don't really play that many of their games and the ones that I do play I tend to keep permanently so I'm better off buying.

My interest may change moving forwards but at the moment £3:99 just isn't worth it to me.

Also, I'm really not sure I like their business model with this. If I subscribe to Plus/Live I really don't like having third party subscriptions on top of that, particularly ones that require Plus/Live for me to use the games online.

Bsigg12

ubisoft and activision.

that is why this is a bad idea.

every year we'd be paying 200 bucks for subscriptions.

Activision doesn't produce enough games in a year anymore to support a service like this. Ubisoft could though and it's not like they'll make it the only route to play games, they still make the majority of their money from new releases and DLC. This is just an option for those who don't care if the games are old but would still like to be able to play them

It really is fantastic value for money, and with games never leaving the vault it's going to keep getting better as they add more and more games.

If companies like Capcom or Sega or even Square offered a similar service including 90% of their old catalog of games (NES, SNES, Geneais, psx, etc) available for xb1 or PC, I'd buy a subscription without hesitation.

Biggest classic gaming library ever made. Use DOSBOX to put it online for access at $10/mo.

Oh wow can I get my VP title now because it's criminally stupid that EA aren't doing this.

biteren

glad to see people are enjoying the service.

now to wait a see the Ubisoft version aswell as Activision's

well lets hope it stays a good deal

foamdino

I guess it depends on if you enjoy EA's games - and at the moment there's pretty much nothing from their catalogue I'm interested in. More power to those who enjoy them though.

Qwark

The ones I'm interested in are Peggle 2, PvZ, and mild interest in NFS. But I bought all of those at launch anyway for PS4. The discount on DA:I would be nice, but I'll probably get it cheaper from BB GCU anyway.

I wish it was on PS4, but I probably wouldn't use it because it's of little value to me, personally.

Guevara

It's a great deal if you happen to like several EA games.

All our other media is going subscription and streaming. Games will at least offer that option soon too.

$30 for a Trojan horse that exists to erode the concept of ownership in the video game industry?

Seems fair.

Trojan horse?

Wouldn't PS+ be considered the trojan horse in this scenario with EA simply following on down the same path?

Anyway, I hope Acti and Ubi have something similar planned for a similar price. EA Access is incredible value, less than £2 a month to play most of EA's games? Totally worth it.

It does seem like great value, but I don't want to support every publisher having a subscription service like this.

I would rather they all got together and worked with one subscription service as I'm not willing to have a separate account for every publisher.

domlolz

Banned
WOW such great VALUE, thank you EA! you'd be a fool not to subscribe to EA Access!

All these great games for such a low low price!

Eternia

I thought I that was PS+...
Yeah seriously, that battle was lost a long time ago.

The service is good value for those interested in their output and like their library being digital since getting deals on those versions of games are a bit tougher.

TheIdleMiner

Neo Member
Sweet. Thanks guys. I think I'll give it a whirl for a month and do some sampling. Peggle 2, NFS, and GW are games I haven't even played yet.

Good for you OP and I'm sure a lot of people are happy that EA's offering this but what is personally blowing me is the lack of recent games in what you're listing in your post and even more personally it's the lack of quality in most of EA games.

PS+ and Games for Gold could be awesome (PS+ used to be) but regarding actual gen both are disappointing.

I may make the easy but true (until they prove me wrong) conclusion that subscription services are just shit. Even for cheap shit is still shit.

Edit : more details explaining my answer, I have NFS, Peggle 2 and everybody around me has Fifa 15 (and even the demo has my fav team updated so why bother with Fifa 14)

Edit 2 : and yeah, it's ok not owning games if you see it as a service but what about the quality of the said service? What criteria defines the quality of what EA's going to deliver to you? What are the engagements? It seems that only the customer has some : paying (and you can add all the regular bloc of text saying you won't change the code etc.)

Phinor

It's a good service for most people. I don't like subscribing to get access to something for a finite period of time (although we can argue all digital games are pretty much like that). I can find Garden Warfare for PC for around $20, but buying say 30 years of EA access would cost me $900. And even at 30 years, my subscription would still expire and I'm just not comfortable with that idea (and obviously EA will shut down the service way before that, they always do). Similarly I watch a ton of movies and TV shows but I don't subscribe to Netflix or any of those services. If I want to see a movie, I'll buy it properly on Blu-ray/DVD.

Also the games are "old", I'm not going to wait a year to get access to year old sports games. I'm not going to start playing Battlefield 4 when the next one is just about ready (although in this particular case the next one isn't really a Battlefield game, but point being, I usually want to play current games and for older games I already have a backlog of few hundred games on Steam that I don't have to pay any subscription fee for).

But I'm an anomaly in this case, and perhaps some other PC gamers are too thanks to huge backlogs and cheaper games. For most people it's a great value service as long as few of those games interest you.

Etnos

Banned
$30 for a Trojan horse that exists to erode the concept of ownership in the video game industry?

Seems fair.

because it is going to be super relevant for my life to own Plants Vs Zombies:GW 20 years for now right? Is not like I'm going to play 50 hours of it and forget about it forever. Once I experience games I really don't care if "I own them", they already made the money worth, they are entertainment not things I care owning.

I respect people wanting to "own" them, that is fine if you are collector. However, this concept that supporting games a services - digital distribution is some sort of moral offence its just silly.

biteren

It's a good service for most people. I don't like subscribing to get access to something for a finite period of time (although we can argue all digital games are pretty much like that). I can find Garden Warfare for PC for around $20, but buying say 30 years of EA access would cost me $900. And even at 30 years, my subscription would still expire and I'm just not comfortable with that idea (and obviously EA will shut down the service way before that, they always do). Similarly I watch a ton of movies and TV shows but I don't subscribe to Netflix or any of those services. If I want to see a movie, I'll buy it properly on Blu-ray/DVD.

Also the games are "old", I'm not going to wait a year to get access to year old sports games. I'm not going to start playing Battlefield 4 when the next one is just about ready (although in this particular case the next one isn't really a Battlefield game, but point being, I usually want to play current games and for older games I already have a backlog of few hundred games on Steam that I don't have to pay any subscription fee for).

But I'm an anomaly in this case, and perhaps some other PC gamers are too thanks to huge backlogs and cheaper games. For most people it's a great value service as long as few of those games interest you.

im not comfortable giving EA any money

Salvadora

When it gets alot of subscribers, others might follow. But at the rate of xbone sales, i doubt it.
Come on.

The Xbox One may not be doing PS4 numbers, but there are certainly millions of active consoles out there. Plus, it's likely that this service costs EA very little to run. Additionally, by offering titles such as Battlefield 4, they can make even more on DLC. Sounds like a win-win to me.

LX_Theo

Banned
Thing about PS+ is that, for me, its primarily for games that I wouldn't care if I owned myself or not.

EA access is based on the concept of a specific publisher, meaning in order to make it worthwhile I would have to like their games considerably, and that means the whole point of having as a side program to my normal gaming habits is lost.

Gintoki

Not really into their yearly sports games and I tried PvZ on origin when they had it free to play for two days, didn't really enjoy it. I'm only looking forward to one of their games to get released -Mirrors Edge 2- so its not for me.

You couldn't pay me to play last years sports games and ir rarely buy digital . Good for families with young kids but otherwise lackluster .

jesu

I'm looking forward to getting a Hockey and a Basketball game, with those I don't care if it the older version.
Hoping for DA3 next year at some point too.

Top Bottom