• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces Xbox One Kinect adapter for Windows 8

GavinUK86

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-22-microsoft-announces-xbox-one-kinect-adapter-for-windows-8

Microsoft has announced a $49 (£31) adapter for its Xbox One Kinect sensor so the gadget can be used with Windows 8 PCs.

In a new blog post, the company also announced a fresh update for its Windows Kinect software development kit.

With the launch of the software update and the new adapter, both the Xbox One Kinect and the previously launched Kinect for Windows v2 can now be used identically.

Microsoft is making the new SDK 2.0 update available for developers to download and use for free via its website.

While the adapter is of limited use to consumers at the moment, a small number of Kinect apps can now be downloaded from the Windows Store to allow developers to test out animating 2D and 3D objects.

It's the latest move from Microsoft in its ongoing plan to unify the company's various operating systems, software catalogues and capabilities. Windows 10, due to be released next year, will include increased compatibility across all Windows devices - phones, tablets, netbooks, desktops and even Xbox One.

Seems unnecessarily expensive, but I do look forward to seeing what the PC community can do with these things. I get the feeling whatever comes out will be well worth the price of admission.

Alx

Unexpected. Are they killing off Kinect for Windows then?

Seems to be more or less the same thing in the end, since the kinect for Windows come at the same price than console kinect + adapter (and includes its own adapter of course, which is probably identical).
Not sure what it means for the commercial license of the SDK though, but IIRC it wasn't really included with the sensor any more. They'll probably consider a unique developer license for their marketplace, kinect included.

That's still expensive, but I suppose it is a slightly better situation than with the old Kinect for Windows. I know you could still use your 360 one, but it was a bit worse.

PGamer

fucking juniors
I think the biggest deal here is that it's now possible to grab a cheaper used Xbox Kinect that someone traded in plus adapter rather than having to buy the $200 PC version.

Pudge

I'll keep my eye out to see if anything comes of this on PC. This Kinect is good enough that I'd totally get on board with PC voice control and using it as a webcam.

So I can not use it on Windows just like I dont use it on either of my Xbones?

Dear MS, I think it might be a good idea to have a few games out for Xbone (other than dance and fitness titles) that are worth a shit before bothering with this for Win8. But you've never let a little thing like consumer demand (or lack thereof) stop you before, so why change it up now?

On a more serious note, I suppose as a way to run my PC OS with Kinect this might be fun to play with...but I'm guessing the primary audience who are going to get any use out of this for the foreseeable future are gear-heads who want to do some tinkering and maybe figure out a way to get Kinect to do some crazy/fun shit around the house by linking it into their home network, smart appliances, etc.... I can imagine some cool applications. But on the consumer side, not so much yet.

SerTapTap

With the launch of the software update and the new adapter, both the Xbox One Kinect and the previously launched Kinect for Windows v2 can now be used identically.

Best news, this was going to be niche as hell no matter what, but support would be awful if Xbox and Windows Kinect 2.0 were supported differently. Cool they made an adapter, though yeah, price is a bit high, and I don't see much reason for 2 SKUs now that Xbox Kinect also comes standalone. Just make a "PC bundle" like they do with controllers and include the requisite wires.

Alx

Im just happy i can use mine on my pc. The most interesting uses for kinect come from pc hacking.

It's not really hacking when they provide a free SDK... ;)

On a more serious note, I suppose as a way to run my PC OS with Kinect this might be fun to play with...but I'm guessing the primary audience who are going to get any use out of this for the foreseeable future are gear-heads who want to do some tinkering and maybe figure out a way to get Kinect to do some crazy/fun shit around thr house by linking it into their home network, smart appliances, etc....

The main focus for kinect running on PC was always targeting business applications anyway : animations in malls, virtual dressing rooms, behaviour analysis... or research projects of course.

So I can not use it on Windows just like I dont use it on either of my Xbones?

Dear MS, I think it might be a good idea to have a few games out for Xbone (other than dance and fitness titles) that are worth a shit before bothering with this for Win8. But you've never let a little thing like consumer demand (or lack thereof) stop you before, so why change it up now?

On a more serious note, I suppose as a way to run my PC OS with Kinect this might be fun to play with...but I'm guessing the primary audience who are going to get any use out of this for the foreseeable future are gear-heads who want to do some tinkering and maybe figure out a way to get Kinect to do some crazy/fun shit around thr house by linking it into their home network, smart appliances, etc.... I can imagine some cool applications. But on the consumer side, not so much yet.

It's fantastic for animation. I don't want them to wait to put this to market just because you don't think the Xbox games that use are good enough.

Freeman

Banned
Interesting, let see if the PC community will do anything interesting with it.

MS biggest mistake with Kinect was not making it easily available for PC.

I'm actually excited about this.

I really want to see how this will work as a cheap motion capture device. Apparently Kinect v1 worked quite well, but the higher fidelity of V2 should only be better.

I've been browsing the Win8 store, and that 3D builder program looks interesting too. If the 3D scanning is at all usable for accurate 3D models, that could be a nice feature for indie devs doing 3D.

I mean, yeah, it would be nice if it was simpler, cheaper...but I'm tempted to start tinkering with it for that price over being forced to buy a more expensive Win-specific form.

Feep

Banned
I've worked with the Kinect SDK pretty extensively, and I looked through the release notes of the 2.0 version. Points of interest:

Full Unity support (with Unity Pro, anyway)
Windows Store support
Improved fingers and face recognition
Full C++ and C# .NET support for all libraries

I've worked with the Kinect SDK pretty extensively, and I looked through the release notes of the 2.0 version. Points of interest:

Full Unity support (with Unity Pro, anyway)
Windows Store support
Improved fingers and face recognition
Full C++ and C# .NET support for all libraries

OT, but There Came An Echo is still voice-only, right?

Question: Is there a way to do sculpting style modeling with this? Can I use this to then mocap those?

I wonder for... Reasons...

Hoo-doo

Banned
Can't wait for the oculus experiences that use this

I think the Kinect has way too much input lag for anything VR-related, honestly.

Sure it'll lead to some youtube hilarity but it's far from ideal when immersion is concerned. That is, until they hack this thing to poll at 100000 hz with <1ms lag or something, PC always finds a way.

Seems to be more or less the same thing in the end, since the kinect for Windows come at the same price than console kinect + adapter (and includes its own adapter of course, which is probably identical).
Not sure what it means for the commercial license of the SDK though, but IIRC it wasn't really included with the sensor any more. They'll probably consider a unique developer license for their marketplace, kinect included.

From the MS blog post they are making the SDK for windows completely free, you don't need to pay anything to use Kinect in commercial applications.

Skeletal tracking for VR is far, far too slow with Kinect 2. It'd be good for 3D Scan video capture, though.

I hear people saying this, but in my experience using Kinect V2 on X1, the tracking is pretty solid/a lot faster than Kinect V1. I imagine the lag will still be perceptible, but I don't see how it wouldn't still be a good experience if the gameplay used it well.

I assume this train of thought is basically that if there's even a slight bit if lag, this could ruin the VR experience? In my experience with Oculus though, it doesn't have to be perfect to still be awesome. Even in the primitive 3D world I explored, it was still amazing to explore. i still think Kinect V2 could be a great input device for it, has there actually been any experimentation with this?

Jrs3000

So... 159$ for the kinect and 49$ for the adapter. 299$ total. Seems expensive.

What kind of broken math gives you 299 from those two prices? It's $208. You can pickup a X1 kinect for under $100 off ebay and this adapter now to use on pc. That would be the cheaper route.

Krejlooc

Banned
I hear people saying this, but in my experience using Kinect V2 on X1, the tracking is pretty solid/a lot faster than Kinect V1. I imagine the lag will still be perceptible, but I don't see how it wouldn't still be a good experience if the gameplay used it well.

Its just too slow.

I assume this train of thought is basically that if there's even a slight bit if lag, this could ruin the VR experience? In my experience with Oculus though, it doesn't have to be perfect to still be awesome. Even in the primitive 3D world I explored, it was still amazing to explore. i still think Kinect V2 could be a great input device for it, has there actually been any experimentation with this?

Its not about lag, its about latency.

Yes, we've experimented with kinect, both 1 and 2.

So... 159$ for the kinect and 49$ for the adapter. 299$ total. Seems expensive.

It's $209 on the CAD store actually (I assume that's a typo on your part?)
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Kinect-for-Windows-v2-Sensor/productID.298907900

But yeah, it's expensive. I actually picked mine up for $50 on craigslist. The used price is going up I think, but there was at one point a lot of people selling these off dirt cheap, and if you look enough, I'm sure you'll find one for a good price. $50+$59 for the adapter is certainly more reasonable.

Its just too slow.

Its not about lag, its about latency.

Yes, we've experimented with kinect, both 1 and 2.

Ah, that's too bad. It seems like a PS Move/Wiimote style-device is probably the ideal input method. I do wonder, as Hoo-doo mentioned above, whether hackers could potentially reduce latency, or if that's a Kinect v2 hardware limitation.

This can likely be used as a way to extend the cable for Xbox One owners like me who have a projector setup. People tested the adapter that came with the Kinect 2 for windows and plugged USB into the One with success.

Krejlooc

Banned
Ah, that's too bad. It seems like a PS Move/Wiimote style-device is probably the ideal input method. I do wonder, as Hoo-doo mentioned above, whether hackers could potentially reduce latency, or if that's a Kinect v2 hardware limitation.

The camera itself already polls at a high enough frequency for 3d scan capture to be really useful for vr. The problem is the technology used to do skeletal tracking on top of 3d scan. Thats the part of the equation that is too slow. Even the improved skeletal tracking of kinect 2 is several times greater than the target total loop render that is assumed optimal for vr.

Ive never been sold on kinect for input. I think thats the wrong use for this tech. It should be used for what it is - a terrific consumer 3d scan camera.

I wish Eurogamer wouldn't be like $50 (£31) as all that will happen is when it comes out around £40 the plebs will be like "ripp off Britain" missing the fact $60 (UK prices have add so add equivalent to US ones) is around £38. £2 for shipping is reasonable, I think. (yes In know I just went over this elsewhere so it kind of on my mind)

$50 for an adapter.
Yes, it is unlikely there is $50 of electronics* but before this your only option was spending $200 on an identical Kinect which came with it. Which was terrible if you already have an Xbox One version or bought one second hand.

*-Who knows it might be sophisticated like a Gamecube component lead was. I think it is more like the SDK is free but it'll cost you $50 to make any use of it.

Kayant

Interesting and unlike with original kinect that was a standard USB iirc they get to make money with people that want to use it for both platforms.

The camera itself already polls at a high enough frequency for 3d scan capture to be really useful for vr. The problem is the technology used to do skeletal tracking on top of 3d scan. Thats the part of the equation that is too slow. Even the improved skeletal tracking of kinect 2 is several times greater than the target total loop render that is assumed optimal for vr.

Ive never been sold on kinect for input. I think thats the wrong use for this tech. It should be used for what it is - a terrific consumer 3d scan camera.

Kinect for gameplay is certainly limited. I wouldn't say using it as a gameplay input device is 'wrong'. It works amazingly well for games like Dance Central, fitness apps/games. It also works great for adventure style games like D4.

But yeah, ideally, you need perfect 1:1 tracking for gamplay unless you can hide the latency.

When you say it's great for 3D scan, what sort of applications are you referring to? Scanning real-world objects/people as 3D models, motion capture?

Top Bottom