• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces Xbox One Kinect adapter for Windows 8

av2k

The more accessories to PC, the better! Looking forward to the applications that Kinect can provide!

The first time I read that, I thought it said the Kinect for Windows 8 was $50 and almost thought about buying one.

$50 for an adapter is ridiculous.

Good luck selling that.

I think the biggest deal here is that it's now possible to grab a cheaper used Xbox Kinect that someone traded in plus adapter rather than having to buy the $200 PC version.

I see used kinect 2's in trade shops for around £35, really good time to grab one.

Nokterian

I do what i did with the 360 controller. Wait for the wired version just because wired to me is better on pc or buy xbone controller and plug in a usb.

Krejlooc

Banned
When you say it's great for 3D scan, what sort of applications are you referring to? Scanning real-world objects/people as 3D models, motion capture?

Precisely that. Kinect is a great depth sensing camera from a single orientation. Triangulate three or more of them, and you can capture 3d meshes of objects in real time. Capture yhese meshes sequentially and you can play them back like huge animations. Unlike conventional film, in this instance, these captures can be walked through as you play them back from any angle. It becomes, essentially, a holographic capture of a moment in time.

Look up dr. Kreylos' research to see this in practice. Look up infinite realities to see a very high end, non-consumer version of this.

I am convinced that sequentially captured 3d scan will ultimately replace home movies in the future. Why film from a single vantage point when you can just place some 3d sensors in the corner of your room and get to relive any moment whenever you'd like. Imagine as an adult getting to walk around your own 5th birthday.

_Ryo_

What kind of broken math gives you 299 from those two prices? It's $208. You can pickup a X1 kinect for under $100 off ebay and this adapter now to use on pc. That would be the cheaper route.

Sorry, I'm in a lot of pain and from infections in both ear as well as a tooth and headache while on antibiotics and painkillers. I can't think correctly.. :/

Still expensive though.

Precisely that. Kinect is a great depth sensing camera from a single orientation. Triangulate three or more of them, and you can capture 3d meshes of objects in real time. Capture yhese meshes sequentially and you can play them back like huge animations. Unlike conventional film, in this instance, these captures can be walked through as you play them back from any angle. It becomes, essentially, a holographic capture of a moment in time.

Look up dr. Kreylos' research to see this in practice. Look up infinite realities to see a very high end, non-consumer version of this.

I am convinced that sequentially captured 3d scan will ultimately replace home movies in the future. Why film from a single vantage point when you can just place some 3d sensors in the corner of your room and get to relive any moment whenever you'd like. Imagine as an adult getting to walk around your own 5th birthday.

That sounds amazing, I would love to check into that more. I was thinking of getting 2 of these as I hear that's what you need for mo-cap, but if all 3D capture requires 3+, I might consider that.

Are you aware of whether there are 3D capture methods that are suitable for modern indie games? Basically a smooth enough method to go from 3D capture to Unreal useable 3D mesh with a poly count reasonably low enough for real-time gameplay? Perhaps you could even adjust the poly density within the capture program?

Top Bottom