• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft have NOT rolled out full region-locking on MS Stores, OP was drunk

Tak3n

Banned
I am based in the UK and I do appreciate there is a element of people who feel it is only right you buy games from your region for Tax et al
but this is a stealth shitty move, especially as they promised a region free console with NO restrictions...

They have even found a way to stop it working with VPN. they recently hit HK and India and I tried Canada and that is blocked as well... tried through console and website, with and without VPN

I am presuming MS points may still work, but would not be surprised if they found a way to block that as well

Edit

looks like buying from US store still works, just other regions are Geo Locked

mcrommert

Banned
I do appreciate there is a element of people who feel it is only right you buy games from your region for Tax et al

but this is a stealth shitty move, especially as they promised a region free console with NO restrictions...

They have even found a way to stop it working with VPN.

they recently hit HK and India and today someone is reporting US is no longer working and I tried Canada and that is blocked as well...

I am presuming MS points may still work, but would not be surprised if they found a way to block that as well

Its probably sad for you, but region free does not mean any region buying from the US

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Damn, feel sorry for all Europeans that now have to pay €60 instead of $60.

Thankfully Sony is too mundane to do this dick move.

McDougles

Geolocking online sites is crazy. I can't even access fox.com from here in Toronto, even though I can watch their television programs from cable packages natively here.

MS must have seen this.

diamount

Banned
What was the purpose of using VPN's? To get the games cheaper? Circumventing the rules like that will just lead publishers increasing prices there and ruining it for native people of those countries.

Toki767

What was the purpose of using VPN's? To get the games cheaper? Circumventing the rules like that will just lead publishers increasing prices there and ruining it for native people of those countries.

While I'm sure some use it to get games cheaper, others probably use it to get games earlier.

Forsythia

I only used it to buy games that aren't released in my own country (which are only a few, and probably because the console wasn't launched here until september 2014), but it still sucks.

FZW

just switched stores and no problems here. I switched to new zealand and then to US, i dont live in any of these countries. Dont use a VPN either.

I got UEE and TitanFall a day early for less than $60 each using a AUS VPN
I live in South Jersey

Unless I'm mistaken, this is only for MicrosoftStore.com (physical products). The Xbox Marketplace is still region free.

oh thank goodness- NVM then

Wouldn't be a problem if the industry didn't treat game releases like it was 1998 and make us pay way over the top compared to US and other regions.

Its 2014. Games go up digitally, why do some regions have to wait 3 days and why in the UK and I expected to pay £55 for a new release off the store?

Im sure there are plenty of other places that have it just as bad or worse. Publishers need to wake up, I'm less bothered about the prices on the store personally as i'd just buy the disc anyway but this staggered bullshit (even 3 days) is just stupid.

I bought my MCC and Forza Horizon 2 off the US store using those GameStop bucks they were handing out in June. Let's see if everything still is there when I get home. Anyone else check their existing purchased content?

Damn, feel sorry for all Europeans that now have to pay €60 instead of $60.

Thankfully Sony is too mundane to do this dick move.

Sony isn't going to do jack, at least as long as those PSN cards continue to dominate top spots on Amazon.

Mindlog

Sony isn't going to do jack, at least as long as those PSN cards continue to dominate top spots on Amazon.
It would probably require hiring more PSN staff to roll it out in a timely manner and we know they're definitely not doing that.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
no, it stopped working a few days ago without a VPN now they have blocked all ways including with a VPN
US Store still working for me using MS gift card and I'm in Northern Ireland, UK. I think its you...

EDIT just bought Sunset Overdrive season pass for $20.

LTWheels

I think the safest thing to do is just buy points online from the region you want to get the game from, than risking your credit card getting blocked/banned etc.

Chobel

God dammit, did MS really have to do this? I don't think publishers complained or anything.

Edit: It seems only OP has this problem. Phew, crisis Averted.
Hope it get fixed for you OP.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Were they allowing it the same way that Sony does?
My understanding is that they were a lot more open than Sony. All you had to do was switch your region in the console settings to access the store from another region. You could even use your main account. Preloads also unlocked early by just switching your region to New Zealand.

Alx

Not really surprised here, you can't expect those kinds of deals to last forever, especially for a console that was aiming at digital distribution. Those who were using it can be glad that they could benefit from it while it lasted (especially since most of the money they didn't spend was basically tax evasion).

Top Bottom