• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft have NOT rolled out full region-locking on MS Stores, OP was drunk

SerTapTap

umm perhaps USA is not blocked sorry in that case I was told it was not working

I personally have tried

HK
India
Canada

none worked for me and others, I will edit that US still works

Can anyone confirm if Japan works, especially from the US? That's the big one for me, they're usually the only ones to have region-exclusive games.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Can anyone confirm if Japan works, especially from the US? That's the big one for me, they're usually the only ones to have region-exclusive games.

Region exclusive games? On the ONE? IN JAPAN?!? I really, really doubt it this time around.

stay gold

I could see this coming when buying from stores like India and HK meant massive discounts.

Hopefully US stays available as it makes buying digital games an actual fair option for me in the UK.

To be fair I do think something happened regarding the stores in HK and India, that came up a week or so ago. Personally I've only ever bought from the US store (maybe once in the UK).

Wow at some of the replies in this thread, gotta love the 'well I just about to buy an Xbox 1' posts!

How are you trying to make your purchase (cc, PayPal, voucher). I have no problems here.

Credit card with borderlink account. I tried to get COD AW but maybe because its not out and with all the day zero stuff it said an error occured. Will try tonight later on

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Credit card with borderlink account. I tried to get COD AW but maybe because its not out and with all the day zero stuff it said an error occured. Will try tonight later on
Funny but about month or twp ago I tried to us my CC and it wouldn't work, swapped to PayPal and that did work but only for about a month then that stopped working so I swapped to gift cards and no more issues.

SerTapTap

Region exclusive games? On the ONE? IN JAPAN?!? I really, really doubt it this time around.

Unfortunately 5PB has already announced 'Bone exclusive projects and Raiden 5 is also in the pipeline, so it seems all the old relationships (contracts?) are still in place. And I don't see Microsoft suddenly jumping in to help localize. The "xbox exclusive shmups" trend, baffling as it always was, seems set to continue.

But it was supposed to be less painful because of region free. I guess at least disks still are. But this might make digital only games a pain in the ass if any pop up.

ShogunX

Bought Advanced Warfare yesterday on my credit card from the Singapore store, I'm in the UK.

Worked out about £5 more than the HK version but still a good deal.

nampad

Games people bought and their account balance are ok?

To be honest, it seemed to good to be true.
I am always quite wary when it comes to stuff like this. Not buying from the US PSN too because I don't trust Sony to keep that going forever.

Tak3n

Banned
Bought Advanced Warfare yesterday on my credit card from the Singapore store, I'm in the UK.

Worked out about £5 more than the HK version but still a good deal.

what method did you use?

VPN, or on console or just through website

Nesther

Neither my European CC nor my Paypal work on the US store. Should I risk buying some credit from Amazon to add to my account?

ShogunX

what method did you use?

VPN, or on console or just through website

Straight from the console. Had to re add my CC details and used the postal code and phone number from the British Embassy.

City - Singapore
Postal - 247919
Phone local: 6424 4200

Rest of the details I used my own and it worked.

Tak3n

Banned
I can not see how to contact a mod to lock this thread, as clearly I am mistaken, if someone could let me know how you contact a mod

Fusebox

Banned
What was the purpose of using VPN's? To get the games cheaper? Circumventing the rules like that will just lead publishers increasing prices there and ruining it for native people of those countries.

Wait. You think American store prices will go up because they're getting more sales?

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
The price of Sunset Overdrive in the UK matches the price in the US store. Not sure if MS are going to price this way going forward but the other companies prices are a joke.

d00d3n

This is made worse by the awful forced localisation that affects many countries in Europe. For some explicable reason, Microsoft has decided that you have to select your local language to be able to buy stuff online locally. The major issue with this is that the localisation efforts (Swedish in my case) are underwhelming and inconsistent. The user interface is full of weird names that make no sense and seem strange in our local language, but it also has lots of obligatory english language elements mixed in, making it an inconsistent mess.

The price of Sunset Overdrive in the UK matches the price in the US store. Not sure if MS are going to price this way going forward but the other companies prices are a joke.

When I bought SO off the US store it cost me £39

On the UK store is £45, thats not a price match...

Games should be £40 on the store. MS does offer lower prices than third parties for their titles but its still all priced too highly.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
When I bought SO off the US store it cost me £39

On the UK store is £45, thats not a price match...

Games should be £40 on the store. MS does offer lower prices than third parties for their titles but its still all priced too highly.

The extra is just VAT though isn't it? $60 is £37.50 add VAT is £45.

Top Bottom