• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Chess Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchap

ChessGAF (is there such a thing?): The 2014 world chess championship kicks off tomorrow in Sochi Russia! The world chess championship has a prestigious lineage dating back unofficially to La Bourdonnais in the early 1800s. Greats such as Paul Morphy (mid 1800s) followed before the first official world champion Wilhelm Steinitz was crowned in 1866 (after Morphy's premature death). Since then we have had only 16 world champions, the latest of which is 23 year old Magnus Carlsen who will be playing the 15th world champion Viswanathan Anand in a rematch of last year's changing of the guard.

Magnus.jpg
vs
1917294.jpg

The match will take place with classical time control (2 hours for the first 40 moves with one hour added after move 40 and 15 minutes added after move 60 with 15 second increment thereafter) and with a format where a win is worth 1 point and a draw is worth half a point. The first one to 6.5 points is the victor.

Most did not give Anand a chance of making it back to the championship after last year's convincing defeat but he proved his critics wrong by cruising to victory at the Candidates tournament. Since the Candidates he has continued to produce strong results as evidenced by his win at the Bilbao Masters a few months ago.

Carlsen meanwhile has had a great year for anyone except Carlsen. He won in Zurich to kick off the year and then won the rapid and blitz world championships in Dubai. In his last two events before the world championship match he finished second at his home tournament in Norway and in the Sinquefield Cup in St. Louis. His current rating of 2863 is comfortably the highest in the world and is more than 70 points clear of Anand (currently 6th in the world). This rating disparity should mean that Carlsen is more than a 4:1 favorite to retain the title but from their recent results, the match could be more competitive than that.

We no doubt will see some interesting games. I always find it amazing to watch two highly prepared masters duke it out like this.

jchap

And we are underway. Game one has Anand as white and he started with d4. Carlsen replied with e6 leading to a Grünfeld. Fortunately the GM commentator for today's match is Peter Svidler who is probably the most experienced Grünfeld player in the world today! His opinion is that Carlsen has entered a pretty equal but fighting line.

Watch live here:

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/7928738/events/3553668/

Anand is going dooooooooooooown.

EDIT: Lol, the audience looks so bored.

EDIT2: I'm always a bit amazed and sad how chess seems not to be very popular these days. There's, like, 50 people in the audience. I wish I had lived through the Bobby Fischer days.

TheMan

so has chess strategy evolved to become more complicated since the early days of this tournament? could the winner of the first tournament have a decent chance of beating today's top chess players?

so has chess strategy evolved to become more complicated since the early days of this tournament? could the winner of the first tournament have a decent chance of beating today's top chess players?

My totally novice understanding is that chess strategy has evolved, and that if Magnus Carlsen played Capablanca or something, Carlsen would probably win pretty handily. If we go all the way back to Steinitz, then I'm pretty sure Carlsen would crush him. But I don't know anything.

Anand is going dooooooooooooown.

EDIT: Lol, the audience looks so bored.

EDIT2: I'm always a bit amazed and sad how chess seems not to be very popular these days. There's, like, 50 people in the audience. I wish I had lived through the Bobby Fischer days.

Like 50,000 people are watching it, which am surprised by.

Addi

Go Carlsen! This is pretty big in Norway, the biggest newspapers and tv-channel are covering it live. The championship last year was watched by a lot of people, and the coverage is really accessible making it surprisingly popular.

jchap

Players like Morphy, Capablanca, and Fischer all had once in a generation talent but none of them, as they were at their peak in their era, would immediately challenge the top players of today because the experiences from thousands of games played over the years since they reigned are ingrained in the minds of today's top players. They would probably only suffer for a while before they learned from all the same theory and once again became competitive if not dominant amongst the top players. Fischer stated that it was his belief that Morphy would dominate any era once he studied the current theory.

This is also why Fischer advocated symmetric random shuffling of the backrow pieces to remove theory from chess and leave only pure skill.

jchap

what happens if you run out of time?

You lose. Since Ivanchuk is not playing we will not see this happen.

We are in a heavy piece endgame now. The computer's slightly favor black... Svidler thinks its drawn with proper play. Throw it all out the window because no one is as good as Carlsen in endgame play. He can make wine of water in these seemingly simple situations.

Suzaku

Thanks for making this thread, I would have forgotten about this otherwise. We're on break now but so far the game has been interesting and the commentary has been great. When is game 2 scheduled?

jchap

The first game just ended in a draw. Anand got into some trouble in an endgame and then had to find a few precise only moves to secure the draw. A good and interesting first game! Game two is tomorrow morning with Carlsen playing white.

Coreda

The first game just ended in a draw. Anand got into some trouble in an endgame and then had to find a few precise only moves to secure the draw. A good and interesting first game! Game two is tomorrow morning with Carlsen playing white.

Thanks for the update, one of the commentators called it early then.

daydream

Banned
Draw was expected from the first game, although I admittedly had a brief moment where I sensed some confidence in Vishy's opening moves, almost leading me to believe that he'd bust out some crazy novelty or something. Not the case, as it turned out. White got exactly nothing out of the opening.

jchap

Game two is underway and Carlsen opened with e4 and Anand responded with the Berlin (Booooooooo). At least it didn't go to the end game variation. Maybe carlsen has an idea but the Berlin usually leads to draws.

Update: Carlsen has an interesting idea with an early Rook lift happening on a3. His previous move was to push his pawn to d4 leaving a clear rank to the king side. If the piece transfers over we could end up with a king side attack for white.

Update2: The Rook has moved to g3 and with the white queen on h5 and the knight on f5 it is somewhat uncomfortable for black. There are always threats of the dark square bishop appearing on h6 and the h pawn pushing up the board. Still, Anand has setup a defence where he has many pieces around the king with even the queen available to help out. It should be okay but when you have so many pieces around the king one misstep can spell doom.

Update3: With the white rooks so active and the weak queenside pawns this is going to be very unpleasant for Anand to defend. This is especially true against Carlsen who will set traps and grind on forever in a position like this.

Update4: Doubled rooks backed by the queen on the e-file. Black is completely passive just waiting to be slaughtered with no chance of activity. The f4 pawn will fall whenever white wants it. Carlsen probably has this won now.

Update5: LOL someone got Svidler to say dumbass on the broadcast with a creative twitter handle. Also I'm amazed Anand has steered this towards an endgame that he will be a pawn down in but won't be obviously lost. I thought he was about to get mated. Just as I typed this Anand blunders. Will Carlsen find it? Yes... right away he found it

daydream

Banned
Seems like there was an interesting opportunity for Bh6, pretty much leading into a Q vs. 2R+B ending with a bunch of pawns for White. Can't fault Carlsen for not going into that. Vishy getting antsy, taking on f5 immediately, ruling out Bh6 for the future.

Edit: Welp, this is getting ugly vor Vishy now.

jchap

Game 2 over. Magnus attacked Anand with a dangerous kingside initiative led by the A-rook which switched over on the third rank. After black concessions to defuse the immediate attack, a position where white's heavy pieces were dominating the board arose. Anand managed to trade a pair of Rooks and looked to only have a bad, but not obviously lost, endgame in front of him. At this point he blundered with h5 allowing the queen to join the rook on the 7th rank leading to a mating attack or a huge loss of material to prevent it. Anand saw his mistake and resigned. Game 3 is on Tuesday.

jchap

Game 3 is underway! We have a very sharp looking Queen's Gambit Declined side line with Anand having alreayd pushed his c pawn to the 7th rank! This position is very unbalanced and should be exciting!

Faddy

Banned
Game 3 is underway! We have a very sharp looking Queen's Gambit Declined side line with Anand having alreayd pushed his c pawn to the 7th rank! This position is very unbalanced and should be exciting!

Magnus taking his time but after this move we are going to see some action. The board looks so open that it looks hard to avoid it.

thefro

My totally novice understanding is that chess strategy has evolved, and that if Magnus Carlsen played Capablanca or something, Carlsen would probably win pretty handily. If we go all the way back to Steinitz, then I'm pretty sure Carlsen would crush him. But I don't know anything.

That's my understanding as well from reading articles. Today's players are better because they practice/train with computers/AI.

jchap

Vishy seems to still be in preparation and sprung a novelty. This looks very dangerous for Carlsen. How is he ever going to get the c7 pawn?! Blockading it with the queen is so passive.

Wish I could have a game against one of them, would be very enlightening to see how world champions play. I'm rubbish at online chess, but on a chess board I've won hundreds of games. My play style revolves around me being able to read my opponent via how his eyes move across the board. Can't do that online =(. Still, at least I'm good enough to be a local chess heavyweight =D

jchap

Carlsen is in big trouble and has to make 12 moves in only 8 minutes. Anand has tons of time left. This seems hopeless to draw under these conditions and probably very difficult even under the best of circumstances.

And it is lost. The match will be even! Don't be so quick to dismiss Anand's chances. Magnus should not dare to play theoretical lines with him.

jchap

Game 4 is underway. Carlsen used e4 again and Anand replied with c5! We have a closed sicilian and once again a nice non symmetric position that is rarely seen at the top level! This looks to have the potential to be yet another interesting game.

Im_Special

To bad Chess is an absolutely boring game to play and watch at competitive levels, there is no randomness to it at all so it's unfortunately just about memorization of opening moves and such. What Chess needs is some level of randomness to really prove your skill so it's not just memorization, perhaps having the back rows always be of a random layout.

Ortix

Banned
To bad Chess is an absolutely boring game to play and watch at competitive levels, there is no randomness to it at all so it's unfortunately just about memorization of opening moves and such. What Chess needs is some level of randomness to really prove your skill so it's not just memorization, perhaps having the back rows always be of a random layout.

Chess is about much more than memorization (and openings). It's about calculating, seeing combinations, timing your moves (too slow -> time troube, too fast -> not accurate enough, you lose (as we saw yesterday with Carlsen), understanding positions and the way every move influences them, and mostly just outthinking your opponent.

jonnyp

You can't be serious...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom