• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Chess Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I wasn't aware of that one, sorry!

Hm, mind if I still take a stab at it? Try and get some new momentum going for us. :)

By all means feel free to. I def. would subscribe. I don't play as often as I would like, and I'm only ranked around 1500, but would play some games with my fellow GAFers.

jchap

The closing ceremony was held today and an interesting announcement was made.

The 2016 championship will be held in the USA! Probably St. Louis! Rex Sinquefield continues to put up money to make chess big in the US. There are rumors that he is also trying to coax Fabiano Caruana back to play under the US flag ($$$).

Rex Sinquefield is chess royalty at this point. that guy could command Carlsen and Caruana to play at the St. Louis Chess Club next week and it would happen. he would put up the million dollars himself.

daydream

Banned
I got sidetracked on the weekend so the thread will go up next weekend. Sorry!

Any requests for the first thing you wanna study with GAF? If the beginners could chime in and let me know if they know how to mate with Queen, two Rooks and one Rook, that'd be useful.

Blizzard

Banned
I got sidetracked on the weekend so the thread will go up next weekend. Sorry!

Any requests for the first thing you wanna study with GAF? If the beginners could chime in and let me know if they know how to mate with Queen, two Rooks and one Rook, that'd be useful.
I don't know a mathematical method for those situations, but I know the rules and putter around with it until it works. I can PROBABLY avoid stalemates sometimes in theory.

In practice, of course the grandmasters I'll be playing against will just surrender assuming I will play it right. I kind of wish that actual grandmaster games ever ended in real checkmates since they always surrender early.

For me I know maybe parts of 1 opening and that's about it.

daydream

Banned
I don't know a mathematical method for those situations [...]

Basic mating patterns it is, then. Gotta have those down pat, my friend, and it's the first thing every chess student has to study after internalising the rules and movement of the pieces. Gotta be able to blitz it down in ten seconds. I'll do mate with two bishops/bishop and knight at a later date. First opening lesson will probably focus on the Italian Game/Giuoco Piano or Four Knights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom