• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Chess Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rivitur

Banned
I can't watch anymore its all staged and I didn't get my bet in on time... Call me when the checkers championship comes around.

: P

SmokeMaxX

To bad Chess is an absolutely boring game to play and watch at competitive levels, there is no randomness to it at all so it's unfortunately just about memorization of opening moves and such. What Chess needs is some level of randomness to really prove your skill so it's not just memorization, perhaps having the back rows always be of a random layout.

Easy. Just do some completely random shit that doesn't make any sense and see if you win or lose. It's impossible to memorize every single a line involving every single possible move someone can make. If you open one of your edge pawns up a spot... and then the other edge pawn up two spots, the person on the other end probably is in a spot that they haven't memorized before. Now it's up to you to show your skill!

No idea why
Anand played Qd2 instead of Qc3...he would have gotten that pawn across with the check. King was screwed if it went down. Would have had to go up next to the pawn in which case you bring the pawn down. Swear he could have gotten that pawn across. At worse he would have ended up with a draw from the perpetual check by White...Anand's fate isn't looking too great at the moment...though the game is still going on.

No idea why
Anand played Qd2 instead of Qc3...he would have gotten that pawn across with the check. King was screwed if it went down. Would have had to go up next to the pawn in which case you bring the pawn down. Swear he could have gotten that pawn across. At worse he would have ended up with a draw from the perpetual check by White...Anand's fate isn't looking too great at the moment...though the game is still going on.

Even with a Qc3 check, the King could retreat to g2.

As a complete chess amateur, I believe that Carlsen should have used his queen in move 38, instead of his King.

I'm more impressed with Anand at the moment than with Carlsen. I think he has a decent chance on the title. With a win yesterday and a draw today while playing black, his morale should be ok. Carlsen on the other hand looks a bit frustrated at him self.

UFO

Banned
To bad Chess is an absolutely boring game to play and watch at competitive levels, there is no randomness to it at all so it's unfortunately just about memorization of opening moves and such. What Chess needs is some level of randomness to really prove your skill so it's not just memorization, perhaps having the back rows always be of a random layout.

Holy shit. Have you ever played Chess?

Vitten

Preparation and memorisation play a huge part at top level chess but even the world best players will come into uncharted territory after the first 20 to 25 moves of the more common openings and their variations. And if a player choses to do so he can try a more uncommon opening and then both are 'out of the book' much sooner.
So just memorisation will get you nowhere, you need raw skill to back it up.

jchap

Anand had been offering a poison pawn for 4 or 5 moves and Carlsen finally bit. He has a difficult road to a draw now.

Since I didn't see the schedule in here...here's the rest.

November 15 Round 6 3PM MOSCOW TIME/7AM EST
November 16 Rest Day
November 17 Round 7 3PM MOSCOW TIME/7AM EST
November 18 Round 8 3PM MOSCOW TIME/7AM EST
November 19 Rest Day
November 20 Round 9 3PM MOSCOW TIME/7AM EST
November 21 Round 10 3PM MOSCOW TIME/7AM EST
November 22 Rest Day
November 23 Round 11 3PM MOSCOW TIME/7AM EST
November 24 Rest Day
November 25 Round 12 3PM MOSCOW TIME/7AM EST
November 26 Rest Day
November 27 Tie-break Games
November 28 Awards and Closing

Wallach

The female commentator was much nicer, where did she go? :(

The main commentator has a tendency to talk over the other person it seems.

Yeah he does, and the last game both of them were doing it to each other constantly. Was kind of humorous even though they were clearly sometimes getting frustrated with each other.

Interested to see how Magnus opens white this game.

jchap

Game 6 marks the first of two consecutive white games for Carlsen. It also seems to be the long awaited return of the open sicilian to the world championship! Magnus played an interesting side line where c4 was played and the queens were traded on the d-file. Carlsen got doubled pawns on the c file shortly after and claimed space on the king side with an h pawn push as Anand's king fled to the queen side. It is a strange looking position and I'm not sure when play diverged from theory.

jchap

Carlsen flat out blundered (never thought I would see that) trying to switch his king over to the kingside. Anand missed the move and almost immediately pushed his a pawn. I think he trusts Carlsen a bit too much and just assumed he would never blunder. Now he realizes what he missed and looks sick.

Wallach

Carlsen flat out blundered (never thought I would see that) trying to switch his king over to the kingside. Anand missed the move and almost immediately pushed his a pawn. I think he trusts Carlsen a bit too much and just assumed he would never blunder. Now he realizes what he missed and looks sick.

What a time to just move so quickly, when he pushes king into check distance. If this turns into his loss that rest day is going to be a very long one.

What a time to just move so quickly, when he pushes king into check distance. If this turns into his loss that rest day is going to be a very long one.

Couldn't white just take knight with h5?...ahh the pawn on e3 wasn't there yet to defend. yeah big blunder.

thought pushing A file I though Anand would come in with the king and move the bishop between the pawn and king.

jailbreak is why you keep the rooks over on the rook side...easily could have moved his king over to do whatever the hell he was trying to do(swap white bishops).

Anand moving his rook to d1 instead of bishop to c2 was a dumb move. His only hope was getting that pawn across and the bishop was blocking the other rook...so dumb.

jchap

Oh man I felt bad for Anand in the press conference. About 10 consecutive questions about "the move"

jchap

Someone teach me some chess. Where can I learn online?

I guess it depends on how much you know. If you don't know the basic rules or how the pieces move read this: http://www.chess.com/learn-how-to-play-chess

Once you learn that I suggest mainly just playing lots of games and doing tactics puzzles for a while. You plan play for free with a FICS (free internet chess club) client. You can tactic train appropriate to your level here: http://chess.emrald.net/

Once you aren't dropping pieces and can spot simple tactical tricks its time to learn some end game strategy and maybe develop an opening repertoire. Of course the best way to improve is just to play a lot of games against people your skill level and better.

NEO0MJ

I'm amazed by Chess players and how they can think so many steps ahead and plays out so many scenarios. I like the game but I don't have the chops to play it well.

How important is getting the first turn for those that play it heavily?

In grandmaster games, a draw is good if you play black. Overall it is a very small edge but given how good these guys are, it's a pretty big advantage.

Move 26 today was amazing.

Move 28 and Anand needs to swap those rooks soon and he might have the advantage with the pawns on the other side. Carlsen keeping up the pressure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom