• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343i Matchmaking / Launch Issues Update

I don't see your point. The game doesn't work as advertised (the online portion anyway) on launch day so the comparisons are more than valid. It doesn't matter if its 3 days, 7 days, 50 days or 100 days. The issue is exactly the same, the product was broken at launch.

haha, OK.

Prine

Banned
It eels worse than drive club, this is fucking halo and it wasn't given the launch it deserved. Fucking halo 2 pretty much invented match making on console ten years later and they launch something in this state which is fucked match making wise, I just can't I'm losing faith in 343i this following a pretty lacklustre halo 4.
What are you hyperbole harry ? They responded immediately and are rolling out fixes within 24hrs, didn't have to wait 3 weeks like Driveclub, not anywhere near the same. Its matchmaking issues but private matches and co op has been OK..

I don't see your point. The game doesn't work as advertised (the online portion anyway) on launch day so the comparisons are more than valid. It doesn't matter if its 3 days, 7 days, 50 days or 100 days. The issue is exactly the same, the product was broken at launch.

How long it will take them to fix it remains to be seen. Even if they manage to fix it quicker than the other 2 games you mentioned it doesn't mean they deserve a medal of any sort.

Matchmaking is broken. Custom playlists are working from what I gather, that doesn't excuse the problems with matchmaking, but to say it's broken in the same way that DC and BF4 were at their respective launches is somewhat misleading.

And I think there's a pretty difference in if a game is broken for one/two days to if it's broken for 30 or 90 days.

Here's a better idea: make the game work.

But as it doesn't work, it makes no sense to keep it and to keep getting worked up over it not working.

Seems the more sensible thing to do would be to ask for a refund and then maybe pick it up again down the line if it works as intended.

How long it will take them to fix it remains to be seen. Even if they manage to fix it quicker than the other 2 games you mentioned it doesn't mean they deserve a medal of any sort.
I seriously don't know how people can say shit like this with a straight face. Having issues for 3 days is a far better scenario than having issues for 3 months. It's not even close to the same thing.

Hawk269

Nice to get a response with at least some timeframe in mind. Hope it gets fixed in a timely manner but I guess we'll see

Yeah, I am frustrated like many of you, perhaps not as bad because I have had to work a lot the last 36 hours so I have not had a lot of time to play, but I really appreciate that within 28 hours of launch or so we are getting feedback directly form the dev team and what they are working on.

We have had issues in the past, recently with Driveclub and took a long time to get anything official, so kind of happy that they put this information out and they are working on it.

Still though, I really wish these companies would spend more QA on ensuring games work properly before release. I understand a Day 1 patch that fixes the major issues, but when a game comes out and even after a patch is still kind of broken (and I am talking about a lot of different games here) and as a consumer it is really discouraging.

I think street dates or announcing release dates too early is part of the problem and they should try to hold back on announcing launch dates unless they know they can hit it and hit with minimal issues.

343i's quick reaction is admirable, many developers could learn from them. Hopefully they manage to fix the issues soon. Luckily for me, my copy of the game won't arrive before the weekend anyway.

I honestly feel really bad for 343 and I've been pretty unforgiving to them on their past actions. A launch like this is huge and I'm amazed I was even able to play at all last night at launch. And the games I played actually worked.

But because it's not perfect, people got their pitchforks out. Kinda fuckin ridiculous tbh.
I have played maybe 4 matches total and had mismatched teams and wasted oodles of time just to play 4 matches. Don't even try to play with friends. MM has some serious issues. People aren't just using this to hate on the game. People are genuinely upset. In my case I'm very sad. I love these games and I was very excited for that feeling of playing with friends again but the broken lobbies and MM have meant more frustration than anything. I will say that the games I was able to play ran beautifully though.

Tesseract

Banned
anigif_enhanced-buzz-23567-1401374124-4.gif

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hopefully hey get it nice and tightened up by the time my copy gets here from game. And if not, I was planning on playing campaign first anyhow.

Would like to see some performance enhancements as well, maybe a more stable framerate and some LOD enhancements.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!

MCC works is just slow at matchmaking. Do you have the game?

I love Halo as much as the next guy but the defense force popping up regarding this is baffling. Its ok to be upset that your favorite games that you so longed to play again aren't working. This launch was shameful.

I can't find an MP game at all. How long am I supposed to wait for?
If you really want to play before they fix this madness make sure to drop out of the search if it isn't working after a few minutes and try again. It may take several tries but I have been able to find matches.

If you really want to play before they fix this madness make sure to drop out of the search if it isn't working after a few minutes and try again. It may take several tries but I have been able to find matches.

It's a game of chance more or less.
If you don't find a match in 5 mins your chances aren't going to improve so just exit and re que....

Jesus... yea, just going to stick to the SP and ACU for now. No way I'm waiting that long. Disappointing, to say the least.

Sephzilla

I love Halo as much as the next guy but the defense force popping up regarding this is baffling. Its ok to be upset that your favorite games that you so longed to play again aren't working. This launch was shameful.

I have a hard time riding them for the matchmaking issues because they're effectively trying to make a single MM system work across 5 games. That's probably complicated as fuck and really easy for something to go wrong. What baffles me more are little things like "1th" or why Halo 3 and 4 use armor sets instead of fully customized Spartans, those are things that you'd think would have been addressed pre-release.

Nick

But as it doesn't work, it makes no sense to keep it and to keep getting worked up over it not working.

Seems the more sensible thing to do would be to ask for a refund and then maybe pick it up again down the line if it works as intended.
It's quite unfortunate that you're being serious right now.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I have a hard time riding them for the matchmaking issues because they're effectively trying to make a single MM system work across 5 games. That's probably complicated as fuck and really easy for something to go wrong. What baffles me more are little things like "1th" or why Halo 3 and 4 use armor sets instead of fully customized Spartans, those are things that you'd think would have been addressed pre-release.

Fucking THANK YOU. I completely agree.

What are you hyperbole harry ? They responded immediately and are rolling out fixes within 24hrs, didn't have to wait 3 weeks like Driveclub, not anywhere near the same. Its matchmaking issues but private matches and co op has been OK..

Haha! I might use this.

I'll be buying the game in the next day or so but will try and complete most of the campaigns first.

Prine

Banned

Seems to be matchmaking, while shitty we know its going to be sorted soon. Theres always some good will handed to devs if they recover swiftly from stumbling, if they take longer than expected then well get another drive club reaction from halo fans. Not good but its not the end of the world.....yet.

Doukou

The reasoning behind that would probably mean that they would have to load a model of a spartan to customize it. It's clear that they didn't want to load a model base off how coloring works since now you are no long able to see your color changes and that all the armor you see are just image files. The UI/MM is already having troubles I imagine that it would be hard to also load models.

Yeah I can see how 5 games across one UI/MM is hard but at the same time they should have had a stress test or beta

No offense but I think its kinda crazy that you are more worried about armor customization than about not being able to find multiplayer matches consistently.

Sephzilla

Yeah I can see how 5 games across one UI is hard but at the same time they should have had a stress test or beta

Yeah, honestly I think MCC warranted a beta way more than Halo 5 warrants one. MCC's scope is a lot greater than Halo 5's scope and seems more prone to run into server issues like this.

No offense but I think its kinda crazy that you are more worried about armor customization than about not being able to find multiplayer matches consistently.

How is it crazy? Something like matchmaking is probably one of the more complicated and failure prone parts of the game and it's something that tends stumble out of the gate for a lot of releases. The other things are things that could have been found and fixed without stress testing matchmaking what so ever.

madmackem

This is online something Ms is known for on there biggest franchise they've got.

Brakke

Banned
I managed to get into a SWAT game on a Halo 2 map I haven't played in a decade and got promptly trounced right out of town. Damn I'm rusty.

This definitely sucks, but it's not Earth-shattering. I picked this up intending to play it on-and-off for *years* so a few days at the front isn't catastrophic. Plus I never played Halo CE Anniversary and I'm sort of looking forward to Halo 2 Anniversary even though I remember Halo 2 campaign being some dumb garbage. Hope they get it sorted soon for everyone' sake.

Matchmaking is broken. Custom playlists are working from what I gather, that doesn't excuse the problems with matchmaking, but to say it's broken in the same way that DC and BF4 were at their respective launches is somewhat misleading.

And I think there's a pretty difference in if a game is broken for one/two days to if it's broken for 30 or 90 days.

How would you get a refund if you bought digital, or heck, I'm pretty sure you can't get a refund on physical copies either

Anfony O

Can't believe the reaction we're getting here. Jesus it's only been 2 days. Relax. I understand we paid for a full product and we expect things to work off the bat but shit happens. This reaction is only warranted if this continues for 2 weeks or so. It's a popular product, they couldn't test it properly big deal. At least they are acknowledging it. Some of these doomsday replies are really ridiculous.

Hubble

Um, no. You don't release an unfinished game. How the hell did they not test this with 200-500 employees indoors before releasing? Quality Control went out the window for MCC.

GHG

I liked it better when you were a sarcastic bastard. At least we didn't have to deal with an apologist. The issue is the same, it doesn't work as advertised. You might be able to play online via other methods but a lot of people only want to use matchmaking. What are those people supposed to do?

And for what its worth I actually managed to play driveclub online during the 1st weekend after launch. If you were lucky enough to get on the servers then you could play since they were working on a 1 in 1 out basis initially. That didn't make it ok.

I seriously don't know how people can say shit like this with a straight face. Having issues for 3 days is a far better scenario than having issues for 3 months. It's not even close to the same thing.

The game should work day 1. So from that perspective, no it doesn't really matter. I don't know about you guys but when I decide to buy a game I'd like it to work as intended the moment I boot it up. If I have to wait to play it I will likely move on to play something else and will be unlikely to return to play it because I will have simply lost interest. It leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

MCC works is just slow at matchmaking. Do you have the game?

No I don't have the game. Sorry, didn't know it was a prerequisite for posting in this thread.

Hope the game works for you guys eventually, but seriously some of the posts here are a prime example of why we are getting increasing numbers of broken releases these days.

Doukou

Yeah, honestly I think MCC warranted a beta way more than Halo 5 warrants one. MCC's scope is a lot greater than Halo 5's scope and seems more prone to run into server issues like this.

How is it crazy? Something like matchmaking is probably one of the more complicated and failure prone parts of the game and it's something that tends stumble out of the gate for a lot of releases. The other things are things that could have been found and fixed without stress testing matchmaking what so ever.

I think Halo 5 's beta is a big reason why this ended up like this, I imagine most of 343's team is more focused on making sure Halo 5's beta is high quality while also delivering a lot of content(7 maps and 3 modes).

Sephzilla

Um, no. You don't release an unfinished game. How the hell did they not test this with 200-500 employees indoors before releasing? Quality Control went out the window for MCC.

That would actually be a terrible way to test and give a stamp of approval to MCC's match making. That's so small scale and unlike a real world scenario.

MCC needed a beta in the worst fucking way. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft were the ones who forced the game out the door before it was ready.

Seems to be matchmaking, while shitty we know its going to be sorted soon. Theres always some good will handed to devs if they recover swiftly from stumbling, if they take longer than expected then well get another drive club reaction from halo fans. Not good but its not the end of the world.....yet.
Yeah I'm not trying to pile on. I'm just saying that the problems as of now are not fixed and this was a major feature of this game and selling point. The QA team really dropped the ball. I don't appreciate the people who pop in and act as if the frustration is unwarranted. I love Halo and I I'm sure I will love this game when it is fixed but there is no reason to pretend this is sunshine and roses. If they fix it quickly I will be far more forgiving.

Ryaaan14

Banned

I'm not sure if this is just an okay joke post or a really funny serious post.

Etnos

Banned
It's quite unfortunate that you're being serious right now.

Your "outrage" and "demands" also read as a parody of the sterotypical Angry Gamer, I would say is most unfortunate it is not in fact a joke, would be a quite funny one.

As I said It is hard not to come out as an apologist fanboy, but I can't even imagine the logistic nightmare it was to adapt if not to re develop the netcode for 4 different massive games into a single unified package.

If 2-3 days of busted MM make your purchase "not worth it", well that is your prerogative, I sure know I'm gonna be playing this for a loooooong time.

Bug list is looking pretty gross and long with this one. I'm a huge Halo fan, but don't have an Xbox One yet (just PS4). I hope they get it sorted out because this is their killer app this holiday with the price drop... sad. Some of these issues are understandable and others are ridiculous. Maybe I'll get it next year.

Guy who wrote that announcement did good though. Most dev/publisher statements are disingenuous as fuck these days.

vesvci

Banned
343i's quick reaction is admirable, many developers could learn from them. Hopefully they manage to fix the issues soon. Luckily for me, my copy of the game won't arrive before the weekend anyway.

Agreed. When shit goes wrong, good old fashion customer service goes a long way. I'd say the same thing with Respawn and their handling of the Titanfall launch.

Hubble

That would actually be a terrible way to test and give a stamp of approval to MCC's match making. That's so small scale and unlike a real world scenario that it's almost laughable.

MCC needed a beta in the worst fucking way.

Usually there's phased betas starting with employee access indoors... How did they not do this with MS and 343 employees in a phase is absolutely ridiculous and would've identified a lot of these problems such as random team color and emblem switches and freezing after a mp game which I experience Everytime.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
No I don't have the game. Sorry, didn't know it was a prerequisite for posting in this thread.

Hope the game works for you guys eventually, but seriously some of the posts here are a prime example of why we are getting increasing numbers of broken releases these days.

The reason I asked is because if you had the game you would know it works, but that it's slow for matchmaking sometimes. You are trying to lump it in with games that were broken for a long time.

Etnos

Banned
"Patching" in 20 gigs of data on day 1 should have been a pretty big red flag for you guys that bought this.

Is not a patch, it is the multiplayer data that couldn't be fit into a blu ray, its been said like a zillion times. But, hey you would probably know this if you had a real interest in MCC to begin with.

Worth also notice the main issue right now is server side

Sephzilla

Usually there's phased betas starting with employee access indoors... How did they not do this with MS and 343 employees in a phase is absolutely ridiculous and would've identified a lot of these problems such as random team color and emblem switches.

For all we know that's probably what they did. But since that's such a small scale test and is not very reflective of a real-life scenario those test results were probably unreliable.

Going purely off gut instinct I just have a sneaking suspicion that 343 didn't want to release the game in this condition but Microsoft pushed it out the door to make holiday sales.

Is not a patch, it is the multiplayer data that couldn't be fit into a blu ray, its been said like a zillion times. But, hey you would probably know this if you had a real interest in MCC to begin with.

To be fair, he does kind of have a point. That 15-20GB of data was also not completed yet by the time the game went gold. That's why during the IGN First live stream they couldn't do a couple of maps, because they weren't ready yet, and that's why the patch wasn't available the same day that MCC went up for pre-load.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Battlefield 4 and Driveclub have been bested. Terrible launch. How the game was allowed to ship in this state is beyond unconscionable

Rosur

Glad I don't have internet this week, hopefully the main issues will be sorted this weekend when I get internet.

Worth also notice the main issue right now is server side

I did know this. It was still patched into the game and it's also the part of the game that's not fucking working.

It could be mostly sever-based but it's pretty damn clear this game was rushed to make it out on time.

JMizzlin

Was initially sad about the fact I can't play til Saturday but now kind of glad time will have passed and they should have worked out most of the bugs.

Sorry to people who can't get a care free Halo fix right now, though :(

Top Bottom