• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2015 Badges on sale NOW

RobertM

In my experience, the convention is the worst part about PAX.
Damn right it is. It's all about having fun with your fellow Gaffer. Only Gaffers can bust moves like these:
RD54pqf.jpg

and participate in feasts like these:
nThJC8R.jpg

aka the last supper.

Arken2121

A very good friend pucked up extra tickets so I'll be able to attend as well. Cannot wait. This will be my 2nd pax event. If anyone wants to meet up let's do it!

You guys think you feel bad, I'm one of the suckers who bought PAX South badges months ago and they STILL haven't sold out.

It's gonna be a convention of like 11 people in the basement of the Alamo.
The timing is just weird for that one. Who has stuff to show? I mean, it's a great place if you're an indie that's looking for exposure, but then again, they're getting served just as well by showing up at either Prime or Boston because of their critical mass.

its actually not that hard to find people selling them at the entrance for reasonable prices. Of course that means going to boston with no guarantee of a pass.
This makes it pretty much impossible to plan, given how much the prices for hotels in all surrounding areas get hiked up already. I managed to be further away (at the ferry port, past the Boston Gardens) and still be just as expensive as the first year they had PAX Boston.

I do agree that it's hard to really think this would get any better. The first time I've been to PAX, 08, they were already talking about how crowded it is, and how they needed to open a new venue in the East coast to drive down the demand. By the time Boston opened up, it didn't, people (like me for a while) made the trek to both, and demand kept going up. Throwing more into the mix may help, but if it ends up sending a message that the new shows are just going to play second fiddle, then it won't help reduce the strain.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Do they ever give a warning of these going on sale?

I swear, I checked out the twitter a few days ago and see stuff about an australian convention. Check it out today and see "lol saturday sold out!"

Every other con sends out e-mails well in advance of it happening.

entremet

I'm sure there's something in NYC that would be larger- and Philly convention center is literally double the size.

Edit: yeah, boston is about 500,000 total square feet. Philly is 1,000,000 square feet. NYC has a convention center that's 1,800,000 square feet, DC is 2,300,000 square feet, and Baltimore is 1,200,000 square feet. It would be better off just about anywhere BUT boston.

This is also true. happened last year, and certainly happening this year. But still- ridiculous.

You're right. They should definitely move it. Atlanta has a huge one too, but I can't going to the Southeast, since they don't want to canniballize Pax San Antonio.

Patryn

Do they ever give a warning of these going on sale?

I swear, I checked out the twitter a few days ago and see stuff about an australian convention. Check it out today and see "lol saturday sold out!"

Every other con sends out e-mails well in advance of it happening.

Last year's PAX East was the first and only time they ever gave advance notice. It was clearly a test, and they clearly didn't like the results.

You're right. They should definitely move it. Atlanta has a huge one too, but I can't going to the Southeast, since they don't want to canniballize Pax San Antonio.

The problem is that as I recall, they talk about how they love working with the city of Boston, and I believe they signed a multi-year deal a while back.

kyoya

For people in the northeast (or east coast for that matter) PAX EAST may be the only gaming event they get to go to. People are comparing its popularity and rapid-fire badge sales to SDCC. Some are on a limited budget with not even a credit card to buy a badge or reserve a hotel while others have that capability.

As for the increase in badge costs, I can only speculate that the bomb threat called into PAX EAST 2014 the night before the first day and added security with the bag check may be a factor. Then I noticed the huge lines at the BCEC food courts last year and I can imagine efforts to improve that. All that manpower costs money. We'll have to see how that goes in 2015.

I think the biggest mistake in badge sales was putting them on sale during a week workday - then again OnPeak (hotels) and ShowClix (badge sales) may not work weekends.

The northeast has finally gotten some convention love that is its own separate deal from comics, sci-fi, fantasy and anime cons. Those New England cons are even tough to find exhibition space for and some of the bigger hotels turn them down because they don't "like those kinds of people" mixing in with the tourist and sightseeing crowd (no joke). Now everyone from NYC to Canada wants to be a part of PAX EAST. It's likened to a family reunion (or rather friend reunion for some), and being locked out of it is tough to stomach.

It's tough all around but patience will be needed as the BCEC expands its space and more hotels go up around it. That being said I hope PAX EAST will stay in Boston.

Tawpgun

They need a better system for selling these.

I've gone to pax east 3 years in a row. I live In Boston. But passes sold out....

Might try and pick a 3 day or some day passes at another time from a third party.

Tom_Cody

My friend ended up with an extra badge and I'm trying to decide if I should go.

I have never been to a PAX convention so I would very much appreciate any descriptions as far as what I could expect to get out of the weekend.

For context, I go to NYCC and I'm mostly interested in console/portable games (as opposed to PC or tabletop), mostly Nintendo stuff.

Tom_Cody

I have never been to a PAX convention so I would very much appreciate any descriptions as far as what I could expect to get out of the weekend.

For context, I go to NYCC and I'm mostly interested in console/portable games (as opposed to PC or tabletop), mostly Nintendo stuff.
Anyone?

Piano

Banned

There is more stuff to do than you could ever hope to do in one weekend even if you only look for console and portable games. There's a huge showfloor to explore (which will take a whole day if you really want to hit it all), panels all day, free-play rooms, tournaments, et cetera. I went to PAX East for four years and had a great time.

My two tips:
+Once you're done with the showfloor don't bother going back. Nothing changes. I had more fun once I stopped going there every day.
+Don't spend your weekend waiting in lines. There are already more things to do than you could possibly do. That panel with the two-hour wait will be posted online later tonight. Go do something else fun. Go talk to indie developers (they're awesome!). Go to an obscure panel (they can be fascinating). Go play some classic games in freeplay (only time I've ever played a ZX Spectrum).

Just got my Pax East Saturday badge in. Looked up the prices for some of my friends and the cheapest I saw a single Saturday badge for was $90 which is double the retail price. Disgusting that Penny Arcade let it get this bad.

Patryn

For those coming to Boston, you should know that our public transportation system, the T, is currently in shambles due the massive amounts of snow and cold we've experienced. They've gone on the record as saying that they won't be back to full service for 30 days, and even that was dependent on there being no further major storms.

So, basically, if you're going to be depending on public transportation, expect to wait around a lot longer than you have in the past. It's looking like we may have a week of warm-up which may help,. but we're still recovering. Be patient!

Sanjuro

Got badges in today as well.

This year I have a feeling I'm going to have extra badges to spare, plus possibly space to fill in the hotel. Many people bailed that usually go.

For those coming to Boston, you should know that our public transportation system, the T, is currently in shambles due the massive amounts of snow and cold we've experienced. They've gone on the record as saying that they won't be back to full service for 30 days, and even that was dependent on there being no further major storms.

So, basically, if you're going to be depending on public transportation, expect to wait around a lot longer than you have in the past. It's looking like we may have a week of warm-up which may help,. but we're still recovering. Be patient!

I hadn't even considered this yet...and I live here too. I was planning on using public transit, but may need to opt for another plan...luckily I'm in a decent sized group of people going together so cabs won't break the bank.

I can't make it this year and have a Friday and Sunday badge, I'm still trying to get rid of them at cost but if I'm not able to, PM me if you need a badge and I can have my friends provide them at the door next month, if they're still available.

Is Hero making the thread like the 2 years before last/someone else or do I have to again?

I don't mind doing it, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes if they've already got something started

Tawpgun

Got badges in today as well.

This year I have a feeling I'm going to have extra badges to spare, plus possibly space to fill in the hotel. Many people bailed that usually go.

I can't make it this year and have a Friday and Sunday badge, I'm still trying to get rid of them at cost but if I'm not able to, PM me if you need a badge and I can have my friends provide them at the door next month, if they're still available.
I'm looking for pax east badges. Lemme know if you need me to take those off your hands. For a price of course

So I saw this thread and want to know if there are any well known parties during the night to go to. I'm finally 21 so I don't want to miss out on anything cool.

So I saw this thread and want to know if there are any well known parties during the night to go to. I'm finally 21 so I don't want to miss out on anything cool.

So far the list is this: (Credit to Krissta on the Penny Arcade forums for making it)

Thursday:
Pre-PAX Dinner Party 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm (Anthem Kitchen & Bar, 101 South Market Street, South Market Building, Faneuil Hall) Tickets are $29.95, kids meal tickets (ages 3-12) are $13.65
Indies Need Booze @ PAX East (21+) 8:00 pm - 2:00 am (Umbria Prime, 295 Franklin Street, Boston) Tickets are $16.82 (with fees)
Pre-PAX Made in Mass party More info to come!

Friday:
ASUS ROG & PC Gamer PAX East Afterparty10:00 pm - 2:00 am (Royale Nightclub, 279 Tremont Street, Boston) RSVP only (more info coming soon!)
8-Bit Boston 2: The 16-Bit Invasion Live at Pax East (21+) 8:00 pm - 2:00 am (Prime, 295 Franklin Street, Boston) Tickets are $20 (GA) or $50 (Exclusively N.E.P All Access)

Saturday:
CIG Returns to PAX East (21+) 4:30 PM Subscriber and VIP Entry; 5:00 pm Backer Entry; 6:00 pm Presentation (Royale Nightclub, 279 Tremont Street, Boston) Admission: $15 Tickets will be on sale until Wednesday March 4th, 2015, or until sold out. Tickets will be able to be printed on Thursday March 5th, 2015.
Sanshee 2015 Block Party at PAX East (21+) 8:00 pm - 7:00 am (Prime the Nightclub, 295 Franklin Street, Boston, MA 02110) Tickets start at $11.54 (including fees).
Harmonix PAX East 2015 Party 8:00 pm - 12:00 am (Hard Rock Café, 22-24 Clinton Street, Boston, MA 02109) Tickets are$22.09 (including fees) Looks like these tickets are going out in waves, as this is "Wave 1" and they are SOLD OUT.

I tried the buy/sell thread but is anyone looking to sell 2 Saturday passes? I have a friend that is looking and i have bought through gaf before so i trust it.

Sanjuro

Any chance you could set some badges aside to sell to a fellow GAFer?

I'm looking for pax east badges. Lemme know if you need me to take those off your hands. For a price of course

I'll keep you guys in mind. We are still figuring out what's going on. As it looks, we can possibly end up with 3-4 extra sets.

Just so you know, they are sets of Fri-Sun, as the 3-Days were sold out in about a second.

I'm looking for 3 day passes as well, 3 day or each day is fine for me

need 2 for my brother and I so i will be checking round the clock :p

and yeah, transportation will be awful x the sidewalk to walk there from south station

ScribbleD

I'll keep you guys in mind. We are still figuring out what's going on. As it looks, we can possibly end up with 3-4 extra sets.

Just so you know, they are sets of Fri-Sun, as the 3-Days were sold out in about a second.

Thanks so much for the consideration.

Tawpgun

So the sets would be considerably more expensive than whatever the 3 day price was right?

Also protip for people coming in to Pax, unless we get some warm weather (at this rate I just expect a winter storm every week....) BRING BOOTS. Some of the sidewalks are still really snowy. Lots of slush puddles too. Dunno what it will be like come beginning of March but make sure you have room for boots when packing.

is it thread worthy for a member to post about the schedule announcement for MS booth? They published this today.

http://news.xbox.com/2015/02/games-pax-east-xbox-2015

Xbox Panels at PAX East
All times Eastern Time

What it Takes To Build a Next-Gen Open World Game
Saturday, March 7, 10:30AM – 11:30AM, Albatross Theatre

Join CD Projekt RED, the developers behind the highly anticipated Xbox One title, The Witcher: Wild Hunt, as they discuss the challenges, opportunities, and everything else involved in building a next gen open world game. Don’t forget about the live narrated gameplay, too! Larry Hryb, aka Xbox Live’s Major Nelson, hosts.

Killer Instinct Team Panel
Saturday, March 7, 12:30PM – 1:30PM, Condor Theatre

See what the future of Killer Instinct holds, and get the exclusive on a brand new character! Everyone who comes to the panel will also receive a random Killer Instinct Pinny Arcade pin (while supplies last).

Major Nelson Podcast Panel
Saturday, March 7, 6:00PM – 7:00PM, Condor Theatre

Join Larry Hryb, Xbox LIVE’s Major Nelson, as we record an episode of the award winning podcast “Major Nelson Radio” LIVE in front of a studio audience. There’ll be prizes, guests and probably fun.

General PAX Info

Xbox BOOTH HOURS
Friday, March 6 – 10:00AM to 6:00PM
Saturday, March 7 – 10:00AM to 6:00PM
Sunday, March 8 – 10:00AM to 6:00PM

More at http://www.xboxeventsus.com/. Info about what people can win and etc.

Patryn

Looks like the H5 beta is playable.

I loved the beta... but could they really not have just given us something new?

PAX Prime stays winning :(

Prime has the advantage of being closer to more devs and occurring after E3, so companies can just bring their E3 demos to the show.

Tawpgun

Prime has the advantage of being closer to more devs and occurring after E3, so companies can just bring their E3 demos to the show.

Yup, its just disappointing.

My main interest is the Halo finals. I'm a big Halo fan and love it when 343 comes to Pax East to show something new

Sanjuro

So the sets would be considerably more expensive than whatever the 3 day price was right?

Also protip for people coming in to Pax, unless we get some warm weather (at this rate I just expect a winter storm every week....) BRING BOOTS. Some of the sidewalks are still really snowy. Lots of slush puddles too. Dunno what it will be like come beginning of March but make sure you have room for boots when packing.

Yeah. I don't have the exacts, but it's something like $95 vs $135 if I recall.

Looks like the H5 beta is playable.

I loved the beta... but could they really not have just given us something new?

PAX Prime stays winning :(

pax prime is basically left over E3, i bet companies ship their E3 booth props and stands to pax prime asap after e3
all my jelly

are Nintendo and Sony skipping pax east again this year :/

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I will be throwing a party/event Friday, March 6 that is open to the public (21+). More of a mixer/event rather than a club environment with loud music and dancing. There will be a music act for late night entertainment.

Full details with 20+ indie games on exhibition: http://indiegameslive.com/

March 6, 2015
8 PM to 11 PM

VIP guests may enter at 7 PM

279 Tremont St.
Boston, MA 02116

m@cross

Listen I enjoy PAX still, and I am sure it will be good this year, BUT

Each year it seems less and less big name companies are showing up to PAX East. Looking at the guidebook we have Square/Enix, Capcom, and Blizzard. Sony isn't even bothering with a small fan booth, Nintendo is going small, and MS is winning by simply showing up. The rest of the booths are smaller developers and vendors.

PAX is supposed to be a legit gaming convention for the East, I can't help but feel they over saturated the market with South and are forcing developers to chose.

DarkKyo

Listen I enjoy PAX still, and I am sure it will be good this year, BUT

Each year it seems less and less big name companies are showing up to PAX East. Looking at the guidebook we have Square/Enix, Capcom, and Blizzard. Sony isn't even bothering with a small fan booth, Nintendo is going small, and MS is winning by simply showing up. The rest of the booths are smaller developers and vendors.

PAX is supposed to be a legit gaming convention for the East, I can't help but feel they over saturated the market with South and are forcing developers to chose.

Weird, I feel like this PAX is looking like its got a better showing than last year.

m@cross

Weird, I feel like this PAX is looking like its got a better showing than last year.

Well, like I said, I am sure it will be great still and I am not saying it is bad to have smaller developers. I got to play Transistor last year at PAX, never would have bought it probably otherwise, and I love that game.

Simply saying I think they may have watered down the market with to many shows so that bigger companies either don't take it as seriously because they may simply do Prime and the rest are to often to bother with, or can't afford to do all of them so instead do others that only have one show or don't bother with the regional versions.

Looking at this year, and I may be missing one or two because the name doesn't stick out, these are the "big" name developers at this year show.

(2015)
-6-
Arenanet
Blizzard
Capcom
Microsoft (also a publisher, but whatever)
Nintendo (smaller booth)
Square/Enix

2 max sized booths
No Sony

(2014)
-8-
2k Games
Bethesda
Blizzard
Microsoft
NCSoft
Riot Games