• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC reviews delayed until release

After the issues with the PC version of Unity I figured this would be worth a thread for those on the fence about pre ordering. The PC port is being handled by Ubisoft Kiev who did the port for Unity as well.

It's worth noting that Far Cry 3 PC was done by the main Ubisoft studio and Kiev doesn't have a good track record with PC ports (AC3, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier etc which had performance issues on PC).
SLx19c3.gif

http://www.pcgamer.com/why-our-far-cry-4-review-is-delayed/
Right now, Far Cry 4 reviews are popping up all over the internet. It is, by all reports, a great game. Unfortunately, we can neither confirm or deny that assessment. More troubling, given the launch state of Assassin's Creed: Unity, is that we can't tell you how it performs on PC. The reason is simple: we haven't yet received code.

If you're getting a sense of deja vu, it's because exactly the same thing happened with Unity. For Far Cry 4, Ubisoft held a console review event; giving multi-platform outlets the chance to have their reviews in place for today's embargo. We, naturally, need to play the game on PC. Last night, we were informed that code wouldn't arrive until Tuesday, the date of the game's launch.

We asked Ubisoft for an official statement, which you will find below:
"The reason why we did not provide review code until now is that there is a title update which won’t be available before Monday prior to launch. However, we will officially communicate on the title update prior the release of the game so consumers are aware."
Lock if old.

Hasney

An embargo for a specific version? Wow, look at all this confidence in that product radiating off of me.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Don't buy Ubisoft games on PC day one.

This is basically a law of the universe at this point.

I never noticed if AC3 had performance issues on PC... maybe because I played it on PC after completing it on PS3. Or got really lucky with hardware configuration. But here's hoping it's good for everyone who wants to play it :)

Ark

I'm planning on using my Nvidia 970 free game code for Far Cry 4 so hopefully things will be okay, but this really does not bode well at all :/

garath

Bad news. Fortunately I got it free and Dragon Age will be taking up my time until they patch it.

Seriously though, I can't see HOW this is a bad port. It's the same engine as Farcry 3 (I think?) which ran perfectly well on PC. It has a few new Nvidia tricks and gets their stamp.

I'd be very confused if it had some crippling issues.

"We are working to adapt our services and communications with consumers accordingly, both by changing the way we work with reviewers and by offering customers open betas or other early access to some games, all so that they have the information they need and want," a Ubisoft spokesperson told the BBC.

Wouldn't want to rush things. Better get it right the first time, eh Ubi?

zychi

Banned
It'll be a mess, and it'll be fixed around January and be amazing. Just wait out Ubi Steam PC releases. Can also save some dough.

A TITLE UPDATE is why you don't provide review codes?! How significant is it? Is the game pre-TitleUpdate so bloody broken that you wouldn't provide a review code?

OP it's also worth noting that Dunia Engine 2 has a proven track record on PC............................ unlike Anvil.

I'll join the shit flinging party on Tuesday, if there is reason to fling shit.

My first thought too. People are probably better off getting the console version (which is reviewing pretty well).

I wouldn't go that far. The game still will probably be better on pc from a performance/graphics standpoint, just not up to snuff compared to competently released games. Now if it is a bug ridden mess compared to the console version, you might be on to something. Even then, if I had to get the game I would get it on pc because I can't play a fps with a controller.

I wouldn't buy it day one in any case and wait for impressions.

Megasoum

Banned
That's not great obviously but I don't think it automatically means it's gonna be bad. I can understand Ubi wanting reviewers to only play the patched version.

It just sucks that they can't get the patch out before monday though...

OP it's also worth noting that Dunia Engine 2 has a proven track record on PC............................ unlike Anvil.

I'll join the shit flinging party on Tuesday, if there is reason to fling shit.

Exactly

Literally was 5 mins away from buying it on PC cause of the reviews being positive. Didnt realize PC reviews were delayed.

Waiting now.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I never noticed if AC3 had performance issues on PC... maybe because I played it on PC after completing it on PS3. Or got really lucky with hardware configuration. But here's hoping it's good for everyone who wants to play it :)

Yeah, same here. I got a constant 60fps for AC3.

AC4? Different story.

I've never pre-ordered a Ubisoft game, so this doesn't change anything in my wait-and-see approach. In related news, Blood Dragon is £3 so giving that a go now.

Top Bottom