• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Second Life: Now with (Real) Virtual Classrooms

BuddyC

Just got this in my inbox from the University. Don't know what to think, I'm not too familiar with Second Life, but using a virtual MMORPG classroom in addition to a real classroom, and requiring attendance in both, that's a new one for me.

Have you passed ENG 103?

Are you ready to take ENG 104?

Are you into video games and the internet?

In Fall 2006 and exciting ENG 104 course will be offered using Second Life (www.secondlife.com) as an online component to a weekly face to face meeting. Students will meet the instructor each week in a real classroom here on campus and in a virtual classroom in Second Life.

If you're a gamer.if you need to take ENG 104.if you're interested.please email Sarah Robbins (sbrobbins@***.edu) for more information!

Sincerely,

Sarah Robbins
PhD Student/ Rhetoric and Composition
Ball State University

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
This is pretty cool. Its real cool how their trying to integrate technology, games and education to come out with something beneficial.

Acosta

Very cool.

Even I have some doubts about your capacity of attention using a virtual avatar (you could be checking gaf during the class).

ckohler

I've been in SL over a year and a half now. I'm a scripter there and build all kinds of nifty, interactive objects. It's a pretty cool place although it is a bit of an acquired taste. Don't go in expecting it to be like an MMORPG. It's more like an open-ended 3D world that you can just exist in which makes it a pretty good fit for something like an online classroom.

Top Bottom