• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 5 for PS4 & PC teaser trailer

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It could very well be a Japanese only deal. The trailer seems to focus a great deal on that market.

This, too. If there really hasn't been any kind of announcement outside of Japan, then people need to chill until there has been one. There's going to be a ton of multiplat stuff that appears only on PS4 in Japan this generation. It was already happening a bit on PS3 last gen, but the XBO is even more dead in the water this time around. Not saying PS4-exclusive won't happen, but best to wait for an announcement for the rest of the world.

Malice215

I don't see this as a big deal because there's more people who would be interested in getting the game on PC versus Xbone, and most fighting game players haven't made the jump to next gen yet.

Plus we don't know the terms of the console exclusivity, and no one has made a big deal out of any of the other fighting games that are exclusive to the PlayStation, along with the fact that nobody has a Xbone in Japan.

As a fighting game player, I want everything on one console, so exclusivity is fine with me, especially if it means that I get the best product possible instead of the crap that we have to deal with now with parity and PR nonsense.

I know some people are salty, but I don't see Capcom leaving Xbone out in the dust. Let's wait for some actual details.

ViviOggi

As far as I'm concerned every consumer of videogames should be salty, if not mad salty about the persistence of exclusivity politics.

Yokai

Capcom just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Street Fighter 5 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Capcom's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Capcom has alienated an entire market with this move.

Capcom, publicly apologize and cancel Street Fighter 5 for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

This is some try hard trolling.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
People are getting this wrong

its not like Titanfall and Tomb Raider where they where announced on BOTH and THEN later changed
especially when TR was a full story sequel (lol do not attempt to use SFs story )

This is more like what MS did with Killer Instinct

a well known FG franchises ip is now exclusive to Sony being FIRST revealed!
"Not Its on Xbox1 too, actually never mind its not" they didn't build up XBox fans excitement and then take it away

is it a Dick move to an extent yes, both its not the same argument as Tomb Raider
Uhm, yeah, this is totally the same. Also, if Nintendo makes a new Mario game for Wii U, it's also the same. I think it's fine to buy exclusives, it was fine with Tomb Raider, it's fine with Street Fighter, but don't act like this now is a completely different "moral" decision. It's a business decision, both MS and Sony want to have a strong differenciating line up and fill up holes in their own efforts via purchased strong IP games from third parties that otherwise would have been multi platform and probably will end up multiplatform in updated versions. Third parties make the deal if they expect more money this way than with being multiplatform, so it's fair imo. I also don't get why it's better or worse if there is a PC version. Of course the number of people complaing would be smaller if there are less affected, but either way, MS or Sony pay basically just for not having the game appear on the competitor's platform.

EDIT: And of course, I'd be mad as fuck if a new Sonic game was exclusive to PS4 and / or PC, too. But I wouldn't claim it's unfair or morally wrong. I can totally understand why some would be mad, but calling a company out for it is stupid.

dlauv

The art style is better and I like the emphasis on more combos. I hope it's a bit like CvS2, even if it's clearly slower.

thelastword

Banned
To be honest, even though it was on xbone, I'd be buying it for PS4 and PC eitherway. That's only me though, there are probably quite a few fans on the xbone, hope they get a port sometime.

I always like the artsyle for sf4, had no problems with it, but the detail on this has gone up quite a notch. I'm particularly happy that particle effects can be rendered in high rez now compared to last gen, I still remember vanilla sf4 on the PS3 went down to 640p during ultra animations. These guys could really go gung-ho on the background detail, particle effects, cloth movement and animation. chun-li's hair ribbon is already flapping in the wind like crazy.

Jburton

Banned
I seriously doubt Xbox owners care. They've already got Killer Instinct as a full exclusive.

And even if they do care, they can just grab it on PC, just like PS fans grabbed Titanfall on PC.

Yeah, those millions of PS4 owners that grabbed Titanfall on PC.

Lol, nice attempt at downplaying the exclusive.

tbm24

I mean Street Fighter was always kind of a Playstation game, (all the alphas and other series spin offs came out on PS first). We just all played on 360 because that was the popular console at the time and the online was superior when vanilla SF IV came out.

That's all changed now, I'm glad for this exclusivity. This is a healthy kind. Think about it, there will be a definitive place to play SFV now, there will be no arguments on which platform it's better on. I mean I guess the PS4 vs PC discussion will inevitably happen but as far as tournaments go, it's gonna be played on PS4.

No it wasn't. Those games also came out on Saturn and Dreamcast. Xbox did not exist when the PS1 existed. Capcom rarely sticks to a single console for their fighting games. Xbox received CVS2 and SF2 Anniversary and Capcom Fighting Jam. 360 received their entire fighting game output the previous generation.

There is nothing positive about this exclusivity let alone healthy. It doesn't matter which platform it was better on because both still received play regardless. Tournaments were held on PS3 till the very end despite everyone agreeing it was best on Xbox and people still played.

I was hoping to see a cool and more handdrawn artstyle like kof or xrd. This looks like a Netherrealm game. Im hoping the game has more exciting movement options like an SNK game too.

Yaponchik

Banned
I don't get how anyone can see this as bad news. How can it not be great that the game won't be held back by the lesser hardware of the Xbone?
If anything, PC gamers could be upset that it wasn't a PC exclusive, but that would be impossible for a franchise this big.

zeromcd73

Capcom just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Street Fighter 5 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Capcom's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Capcom has alienated an entire market with this move.

Capcom, publicly apologize and cancel Street Fighter 5 for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Who does this screw over in Japan when the best selling non bundled XBO game is 7k?

stn

Its official, Capcom is my most hated developer of this generation. Also, this sucks for the FGC big time.

@HIR0

Won't make a difference. Only if the game isn't released to arcade, THEN Japanese folks will be pissed.

teiresias

I'm not convinced this exclusive isn't only for Japan (or just not mentioning XB1 due to PSX). However, if it is actually exclusive, despite my general hatred of money hat exclusives I can't really say I have any sympathy after the Tomb Raider debacle that MS pulled.

I thought it was going to be at PSX personally. That was the impression I got.

I'm the same as I always was on this subject, though. Really glad SFV exists, but unless it was never going to exist otherwise, not a fan of it being withheld from XBO owners.

Yeah exactly how I feel. If it is a full exclusive the only reason I give Sony the benefit of the doubt that they didn't money hat the thing is not because of idealism but I just don't believe they have the capital to keep it off a competitor platform.

Have two numbered entries in the series ever kept the same art style before?

Super lazy and disappointing.
Even if it were the case - which it isn't - consistent art style is a bad thing now?

Will you be disappointed if Rockstar doesn't go with anime cell shaded graphics for GTA6?

The Lamp

The general rule of thumb is that as long as a console manufacturer did not invest money in the development of a game, that it will eventually go multiplatform, so I wouldn't worry too much, Xbox One owners.

As a PS4 owner though it's nice to have.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Those that say it just looks like SF4 are aware that this surely is on an overly early stage and a lot can change, right? What we saw could easily be just SF4 assets.
It better be. 7 years of SF4 is enough. 2>A>3>4 were all huge. They might feel comfy sticking with the same concept by looking at other fighting franchises, but I think those others, being 3D, were more refined in concept than technology allowed. It was okay for them to hold concept as they developed, but now the big guns are all getting long in the tooth and it isn't really okay for them anymore, let alone for SF to join in. Honestly everything needs an overhaul of some sort or fighting games are dead, and the most played one should be innovating the most. KI did great as far as I'm concerned and Xrd at least transformed itself in an interesting way. If this is what we're getting with SF, it's boring as shit. And if the trailer is false in giving that impression, it is their fault. They should really know better than to give an impression of taking the halfassed road and hoping people expect better of them despite it when they are Capcom.

I don't get how anyone can see this as bad news. How can it not be great that the game won't be held back by the lesser hardware of the Xbone?
If anything, PC gamers could be upset that it wasn't a PC exclusive, but that would be impossible for a franchise this big.

Then isn't the PC being held back by the lesser hardware of e PS4?

Come on son

petghost

Banned
so weird/kinda cool to see them focus so much on the competitive scene in this trailer!!!! i hope that really influences how they design the game.

Top Bottom