• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Librarians |OT| Warehouse 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

eiymd1vla0jmgx6iucve.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3663490/

Since no one else appears to be talking about it, I figure I'll get the ball rolling. I'll update the OP with more info later, but figure we might as well talk about the premiere and expectations for the series.

Based on the previews, I was pretty excited going in. Looked to be Warehouse 14 with a budget and a more Indiana Jones take on it. Actually seeing the show though ... not sure we can claim much regarding budget. Especially since this was the premiere, which typically sees better special effects. If anything, this almost feels like when Buffy switched networks. While I'm sure I'm remember Warehouse 13's FX as being better and more consistent than they really are, these were pretty lol-worthy. On the other hand, it did have a fair amount of location shots and the main set is pretty nice.

Regardless, I was more surprised that the script and acting where how can I say ... rough ... in places. As usual though, Christian Kane is a standout. While he's not really stretching in this role, I think he'll be the glue that holds things together with his deliveries. It's also great to see him coming back to a sci-fi role - he was always great as Lindsey on Angel. It kind of feels like a coming home as that was the role that introduced me to the actor. Props also go to John Larroquette with his deadpan. While he may be a dick in real life (from what I've read), the role definitely fits his snark.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see where this all goes. Plenty of shows have a rough start in terms of scripting and delivery ... but as the actors get more comfortable in their roles and working with each other, things improve a lot. Given the premise itself is quite interesting if unoriginal, and at least some of the characters already show promise ... I'm gonna give it a whirl.

Anyone else watch it?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I Hope they end up meshing well. They have some work to do. The leverage crew kinda clicked in episode 1

Raistlin

Where's Noah?
He's apparently only in the first few eps ... basically this started as a made-for-TV-movie?

[EDIT]
yup lol. He's reprising his role to get the series off the ground I guess. Pretty cool he got Bob Newhart and Jane Curtin to reprise as well.

The Librarian: Quest for the Spear (2004)

Seems there are two sequels as well (and he was producer). Didn't realize this was a long-running thing from Noah.

The Librarian: Return to King Solomon's Mines (2006)

The Librarian: The Curse of the Judas Chalice (2008)

I guess now that he's got some money and producer credits from not only the sequels, but from Falling Skies ... he was able to get this show running. Guess it's kind of his baby?

This actually puts things into perspective ... as it seems Warehouse 13 may have actually been aping this :eek:

I Hope they end up meshing well. They have some work to do. The leverage crew kinda clicked in episode 1
Agreed, though honestly I think the plot and script where a bigger problem in the premiere.

e_i

Heh. Loving this show. Matt Frewer is in the pilot...and has a British accent. The actors talk way, way too fast though.

infi

Woah ... Johnathan Frakes directed the two sequels?! Now I have to watch them lol

in all seriousness ... he's done some pretty good direction that I'm pretty sure most aren't aware of - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000408/?ref_=tt_ov_dr#director

Actually I wonder if he was one of the proponents to get Kane on board given his stint as director on Leverage?

Dean Devlin was an executive producer on the librarian movies, leverage and this so I think he's probably responsible for getting Kane on board

Ricker

So I watched both episodes and its ok...it's exactly like the movies,light hearted,Disney like Adventure romp,could be fun but I was expecting something more...

Matt Frewer's accent is abysmal, hahahahaha.

And the fight scenes are so terribad.

When Noah Wyle gets stabbed, the cute redhead's acting is so bad. Like zero emotions.

The main bad guy girl wearing the crown with a katana she is terrible too. Sooooooo bad.

Christian Kane is great though. Romijn and Wylr are good together.

So Carson has turned into The Doctor and Larroquette is like a curmudgeonly Doctor. The music in the Oregon library is Who-esque.

He will be in season 2 full time from what I heard. He's finishing Falling Skies which will be ending after season 5.

That'd be good. Wyle's enthusiasm is infectious.

But srsly, redhead girl is a terrrrrrriblr actress. The Aussie is pretty meh too.

They should make this more like a magical version of Leverage which it feels like it almost could be?

If I was Flynn I'd let her rot in the dungeon after I got her idea. YOU KILLED HIS SWORD, CASSANDRA. FUCK YOU.

They should have gotten Harrison to play the thief and Parker to play synesthesia girl and then have Timothy Hutton and Sophie play the season villains.

Just watched the 2 hour.. uhh.. special? First two eps were really, really bad. Apparently not a lot of people enjoyed Warehouse 13 but I really liked it. This is worse in every conceivable way. Wyle's energy is pretty much the only positive that I saw in the first two eps. Fights were bad, script was bad, effects were bad... I actually fell asleep in the first hour and had to rewind my dvr to catch what I missed.

To give some perspective.. I love these kinds of shows. I watch nearly every scripted show on Syfy (loved Sanctuary, Eureka, Warehouse 13, Lost Girl, etc...) but this is the roughest start to a genre show I've seen in awhile. Hopefully they can improve but it feels like they have a long way to go. I won't end up watching this but I'll keep an ear out for improvements.

Just watched the 2 hour.. uhh.. special? First two eps were really, really bad. Apparently not a lot of people enjoyed Warehouse 13 but I really liked it. This is worse in every conceivable way. Wyle's energy is pretty much the only positive that I saw in the first two eps. Fights were bad, script was bad, effects were bad... I actually fell asleep in the first hour and had to rewind my dvr to catch what I missed.

To give some perspective.. I love these kinds of shows. I watch nearly every scripted show on Syfy (loved Sanctuary, Eureka, Warehouse 13, Lost Girl, etc...) but this is the roughest start to a genre show I've seen in awhile. Hopefully they can improve but it feels like they have a long way to go. I won't end up watching this but I'll keep an ear out for improvements.

This is the kind of show you have going on in the background when you're lying in bed. It's good "noise", and can turn into a guilty pleasure if you want to pay attention to the story one week. Like Burn Notice or Hawaii FiveO and the like.

Kevin

That'd be good. Wyle's enthusiasm is infectious.

But srsly, redhead girl is a terrrrrrriblr actress. The Aussie is pretty meh too.

They should make this more like a magical version of Leverage which it feels like it almost could be?

If I was Flynn I'd let her rot in the dungeon after I got her idea. YOU KILLED HIS SWORD, CASSANDRA. FUCK YOU.

They should have gotten Harrison to play the thief and Parker to play synesthesia girl and then have Timothy Hutton and Sophie play the season villains.

I like the red haired girl... :( Probably because she's cute but still... :)

Yeah Warehouse 13 was much better but SyFy had to cancel it along with every other good show that they use to air. The Librarians, for me will have to scratch that itch left behind after Warehouse 13. So far it's ok but it could be better. Bruce Campbell in next week's episode looks glorious. lol Speaking of Warehouse 13, Amazon has the entire series for $69.99 on DVD (there is no Blu-Ray because SyFy is cheap). I just picked up a copy.

The Librarian movies were a lot of fun and Noah Wyle is prettt awesome in them. Watching the show for his minor appearances, John Larroquette who is great here and for Christian Kane who I've always liked since Angel. I am hoping the good outweighs the bad going forward and have found it fun but flawed so far.

I love the movies, as they gave me some goofy globetrotter vibe without going too crazy with it.

I'd really like the main three to be back, though. They were the draw to me.

styl3s

Wonder why Noah isn't part of the main cast? Falling Skies ends next season.

I originally tuned in just to see Christian Kane and really enjoyed the pilot, it's stupid in a stupid good way and although i won't tune in week-week it's a show i will pick up on DVD because TNT hates putting their shows on blu-ray (outside of Falling Skies)

infi

I'm enjoying this, It's not great by any means but it's fun.

The redhead might not be the best actor but she is ridiculously cute.

Kevin

Yeah the ratings went up quite a bit (4.10 million this week) probably because of Noah Wyle. Otherwise an OK episode.

Lagamorph

I've only watched the first two episodes so far, but I did really like that. I was a big fan of Warehouse 13 so I suppose it makes sense.
Though Librarians strikes me as a cross between Warehouse 13 and Harry Potter. The latter was my first thought upon seeing the envelopes.

Kevin

Yeah this show isn't as good as Warehouse 13 but is the only show of it's kind now that Warehouse 13 ended (unless someone knows of any other shows like this).

Joni

I'm starting to grow on stupid Asian kid and fake Jayma Mays. The last remark of the police sheriff was perfection.

Wag

This week's episode was a lot of fun. Loved it when the owl just magically appeared on the cowboy's arm. Cracked me up.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Show is doing damn good in ratings.

thats good to hear. i keep missing it on sundays, but i catch it on demand.

im pretty sure they could make a good show with christian kane and a litter of boxer puppies at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom