• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Super Mario Bros. Special

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
supermariobrosspecialsmu05.png

Released: 1986
Developed by: Hudson Soft Company, Ltd., Nintendo Co., Ltd.
Published by: Hudson Soft Company, Ltd.
Platforms: PC-88, Sharp X1
Genre: Platformer

World 1-1, click to enlarge.

I've always found obscure home computers and unfamiliar handheld consoles a source of great fascination and wonder. Most especially, esoteric systems that house (official) ports of very popular games. The home computer connected to this LTTP, NEC PC-8801, is not necessarily that great in terms of peculiarity (it was quite popular in Japan), but it's not exactly the first thing that comes to mind when you hear Super Mario Bros. The system did however receive an official port (it's actually not a port, it's an entirely new game) of Super Mario Bros, it was developed by Hudson Soft and released in 1986 under the name Super Mario Bros. Special.

Now, I do not have access to an actual PC-8801 so I have had to rely on an emulator while playing this game. The speed wasn't quite up there, but the game is handled well otherwise. Before we begin, I want to highlight the biggest differences from the NES version:

• The game lacks a screen-scrolling mechanism. When you reach the end of a screen, the screen turns blank for a few seconds and thereafter loads the next part of the level.
  • The level timer runs much faster than in the NES version, so it's very often a race against the clock.
  • Due to very different hardware in comparison to NES, the PC-8801 version looks rather odd. Special only uses half of the PC88's hardware palette, restricted to only black, red, yellow, and blue, including dithered results with those four colors.
  • The game features no Warp Zones (and thus no minus world as far as I know).
These differences together with some really challenging levels, sometimes unresponsive controls and Mario rarely wanting to stop at crucial points are bound to lead to a lot of frustration. If you can look away from that though, it's quite a charming game with good production values. And definitely worth a try if you like Mario games.

Apart from all new levels, the game also features some new enemies and items:

Enemies

• Chokichoki (Sidestepper) - A crab originally from Mario Bros. Can be defeated with a fireball or a bump.
  • Nakaji (Fighter Fly) - Originally from Mario Bros. Can be defeated with a fireball or a bump.
  • Tsurara (Icicle) - Originally from Mario Bros. Can be defeated with a fireball.
  • Sigebou (Fire) - Originally from Donkey Kong.
  • Tarusar (Barrel) - Originally from Donkey Kong. Can be defeated with a hammer or a bump from below.
smbs_newenemies6buke.png

Items

• Hachisuke - The bee from the Hudson Soft logo. Awards 8000 points. Found in World 1-1. Some sites falsely report this gives access to a continue feature.
  • Hammer - The hammer power-up from Donkey Kong, which spawns a hammer in front of Mario that rapidly swings. Found in Worlds 3-4 and 5-1.
  • Clock - Awards an additional 100 seconds added to the timer. Found in World 8-3.
  • Wing - Works like a Super Leaf, but without any cool animation (Mario swims through the air). Found in Worlds 3-2 and 4-1.
  • Lucky Star - Defeats all enemies on-screen, awards their normal point values. Found in World 4-1.
The new enemies are quite nicely spread out across all worlds, but the items don't provide that much in terms of continuous gameplay. They're there for some more flavor basically. Something you can trust is the Fire Flower which works well on all stages (though not against all enemies).

dfsgodtx.png
sd4m4ch4.png

The new levels then, what to say about them? Well, worlds 1-1 and 1-2 should be no problem for most people but when one gets to 1-3, you begin to really feel the brutality of the game. The biggest problem is the lack of scrolling which forces very daring jumps here and there. In 1-3, there is in one section a horizontally moving platform in mid-air. You must be very precise to hit it as you jump from a ledge and even if you make it you gotta think about Mario's momentum for that can basically make the platform move but Mario not follow.

As you progress through the worlds, the difficulty increases as one might anticipate. Bowser's different castles provide quite a challenge, where fire pillars are your greatest foe. Pinpoint accuracy and timing is key. Bowser himself is not that difficult, if you have the Fire Flower you can take him down quickly and even if you are Small Mario his movement pattern is rather predictable.

Ironically, I have found all water levels to be the easiest in the game, apart from World 7-2 though (blooper overload), whereas in Super Mario Bros. I dreaded those levels. Of most frustration are the levels where you have to take a leap of faith into the the wild blue yonder due to nonexistent scrolling, or levels with the mentioned fire pillars.

The challenge is accelerated by some technical reasons, for example sometimes poor jumping controls (getting atop single blocks can be a nightmare), Mario's momentum, slowdowns and of course the faster clock (the X1 version is more accurate to the NES version). So you can expect a lot of frustration, The Lost Levels has got little against Special. But once you clear a level you have been failing on over and over, it's a sweet victory.

As mentioned, I have played this on an emulator (called M88) so I have had the luxury of save states. I initially tried completing the game without such, but that became a mission I had little interest in. How the game is to control on actual hardware I don't know, I'd like to see someone (Rolfe/Matei maybe, or perhaps CosmoWright) try and beat it. Anyway, I like this game despite its flaws. First I thought, based on YouTube videos, that it would be absolute bullshit, but it turns out you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. So if you've got a few hours to spare, give it a go. If only for 8-4, the final showdown with Bowser, which is one hell of a trip.

YouTube links

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0HQOKmAPRA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONLLWp1QIXI (X1 version)

Credits

Programmed by:
Yukio Takeoka (programmer, The World Ends with You: Solo Remix, Puyo Puyo 7)

Course Designed by:
Ichirō Sakurada (map editor, Jaseiken Necromancer)

Enemy Design by:
Sugata Morimoto (visual designer, Starship Hector)

Ending Demo by:
Tomohiko Nakajima

Sound Effected by:
Fumihiko Itagaki (has worked on some Mario Party games for example), Megumi Kawamata (created the manual for Super Bonk)

Course Editor by:
Yoshiyuki Kawaguchi (director, Ninja Gaiden (PC Engine version))

New Character by:
Yukio Takeoka, Megumi Kawamata

New Character Naming by:
Yukio Takeoka, Tomohiko Nakajima, Sadakichi

Produced by:
Takashi Takebe (executive producer, Vertical Force (Virtual Boy))

I will be very, very impressed if you didn't play this through piracy somehow.

(don't respond to this because I didn't mean to entrap you, Rösti)

R.I.P. my eyes from those screens

Rösti;142598914 said:
Hachisuke - The bee from the Hudson Soft logo. Awards 8000 points. Found in World 1-1. Some sites falsely report this gives access to a continue feature.

Oh, that's pretty cool.

So since it lacks sidescrolling it works like classic Megaman with slower transistions?
Edit: Ah, just saw the YouTube links. Those are some really rough transitions.

Kouriozan

More levels to remake in Mario Maker!
But, I don't know if the level design is interesting, currently watching the first video.

jholmes

More levels to remake in Mario Maker!
But, I don't know if the level design is interesting, currently watching the first video.

This was my thought. Rösti, would you say any of these levels are worth rebuilding and replaying when Mario Maker comes out next year? I'd at least like to give some of them a shot, for curiosity's sake.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
This was my thought. Rösti, would you say any of these levels are worth rebuilding and replaying when Mario Maker comes out next year? I'd at least like to give some of them a shot, for curiosity's sake.
All of the castle stages are definitely worth recreating in Mario Maker. Overall the level design is of good quality, so most could do well.

Lijik

I dont think I ever watched a playthrough long enough to realize this game had enemies from Donkey Kong and Mario Bros in it. Pretty wild stuff!

Every once in awhile I see this game pop up on a blog or other site I'm reading, and every time I thank my lucky stars I never had to suffer through it.

Top Bottom